Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Apr 2013, 16:38 (Ref:3229589)   #126
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
The 2013 tyres are a step to far in the wrong direction..

Please listen to Mark Webber on this subject, the man is right !
Mark Webber "is right" because he knows that his team will annihilate the other teams if Pirelli give in to Red Bull's demands.

It is also a fact that Mark Webber can't make the tyres last as long as Vettel can, and that is why he was on the hard tyre during the closing stages of the Malaysian GP, whilst Vettel was on the faster medium tyre.
Old 6 Apr 2013, 13:42 (Ref:3229931)   #127
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Marbot where would this thread be without your staunch support of Pirelli? dont get me wrong because i love it and much respect to you for taking us all on and infuriatingly winning

so to try and change the dynamic because changing your mind has proven too difficult, leaving the logic of the one supplier and the fact that Pirelli are just doing what they are told aside, do you actually believe the balance this year is better or worse than the last two years? is it improving or is this year a step backwards in your opinion?
Old 6 Apr 2013, 17:26 (Ref:3229980)   #128
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
so to try and change the dynamic because changing your mind has proven too difficult,
No way you can do it !
Old 6 Apr 2013, 18:19 (Ref:3229997)   #129
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
I'm so glad that the regulations, and specifically the tyre ones, are not completely favouring the team that probably has the most downforce. If they did, then we would be in for a lot of races where we see a finger being pointed at the sky.

Red Bull knew that this seasons tyres would probably be softer than last seasons tyres, and certainly before the end of last season. But now they complain that their car has so much downforce that it's wrecking the tyres. Well, if your definition of the best car is one that has the most downforce, then yes, you may have a valid claim, but F1 is not about having a car with the most downforce.
I thought a car with lots of downforce actually preserves tyres? It was always the cars with little aero (ie the minnows) that suffered more tyre wear due to less aero and more sliding...?
Old 7 Apr 2013, 22:15 (Ref:3230622)   #130
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As I understand it, the preservation requirements mean that they must not push too much during the race, thus not using their full downforce capabilities.
Old 7 Apr 2013, 23:43 (Ref:3230644)   #131
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
As I understand it, the preservation requirements mean that they must not push too much during the race, thus not using their full downforce capabilities.
Mark Webber calls that racing at 75%...
Old 8 Apr 2013, 08:36 (Ref:3230765)   #132
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Lots of people on here were moaning because the cars had too much downforce. Now that having too much downforce is a bad thing, they're moaning because they can't use all of that downforce.

Some people are just never satisfied.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 11:24 (Ref:3230861)   #133
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106585

Nuff said.
Old 8 Apr 2013, 12:35 (Ref:3230889)   #134
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Another Pirello !
Old 8 Apr 2013, 14:03 (Ref:3230926)   #135
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't have a big issue with these tyres. Anything (almost anything; I begrudgingly accept DRS and KERS) that takes the emphasis away from aero suits me more than aero dominance. That said, I wonder if the balance is quite right and does not sufficiently reward raw pace anymore. The balance is probably a little different to what it is now but not too much.

I feel this is a golden era (one of many) of Formula 1, but for different reasons from the past. I'd like far more technical freedom, something stifled in contemporary F1, but the racing is brilliant.
Old 12 Apr 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3232994)   #136
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Where is the 'race strategy' if you don't stop for fuel or tyres?
The driver will have to find the best possible strategy by himself.

Quote:
If you're advocating for another tyre war, the 05 Indy debacle has thwarted that idea, unless you are thinking in terms of making the tyres last for multiple race distances with a penalty for changing the tyres prematurely.
The disaster of the 2005 United States Grand Prix had nothing to do with the tyre war. No wonder the FIA changed the regulations after standardizing the tyres, allowing the sole tyre supplier to introduce a new compound during the race weekend in case they find out the supplied tyres are unsuitable and could cause an unsafe situation.

Quote:
Lots of people on here were moaning because the cars had too much downforce. Now that having too much downforce is a bad thing, they're moaning because they can't use all of that downforce.
As the regulations are very restrictive and have more or less standardized major components, the semi-spec aerodynamics are one of the remaining areas in which teams are allowed to do a better job than their opponents. However, with the current tyres doing a better job does not pay off.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 11:02 (Ref:3233376)   #137
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just waiting for the latest passionate defence of Pirelli from the usual crew.
Old 13 Apr 2013, 16:09 (Ref:3233494)   #138
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Just waiting for the latest passionate defence of Pirelli from the usual crew.
Oh yes, Mr. Pirello !
Old 13 Apr 2013, 17:52 (Ref:3233556)   #139
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
I don't have a big issue with these tyres. Anything (almost anything; I begrudgingly accept DRS and KERS) that takes the emphasis away from aero suits me more than aero dominance. That said, I wonder if the balance is quite right and does not sufficiently reward raw pace anymore. The balance is probably a little different to what it is now but not too much.

I feel this is a golden era (one of many) of Formula 1, but for different reasons from the past. I'd like far more technical freedom, something stifled in contemporary F1, but the racing is brilliant.
Good but rather contrived.....
Old 14 Apr 2013, 09:15 (Ref:3233814)   #140
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is said that Pirelli will supply more durable tyres from the Spanish Grand Prix.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 14:17 (Ref:3234000)   #141
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Define "more durable." I mean, Seb was uber-quick at the end with a light fuel load and all and still his tyres lasted (when you think about it) approximately 500 seconds before "deg" set in.

One would think the tyres should last at least as long as the average sexual encounter between willing partners...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 14:43 (Ref:3234010)   #142
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC View Post
One would think the tyres should last at least as long as the average sexual encounter between willing partners...
Well it seems that these tyres fall apart before anyone can really get going as it were...
Old 14 Apr 2013, 14:47 (Ref:3234012)   #143
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
So David matey what you think of the tyres so far...
Old 14 Apr 2013, 14:51 (Ref:3234015)   #144
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peerless Jeremy. Outstanding.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 14:54 (Ref:3234018)   #145
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Peerless Jeremy. Outstanding.
I am sorry David I could not resist..

I think that there awesome !
Old 14 Apr 2013, 16:54 (Ref:3234076)   #146
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
On a more serious note it looks like Pirelli are going to take a look at compounds, which is a bit strange because if they make changes now, then what about the first three race results would they have been different I wonder ?
Old 14 Apr 2013, 17:15 (Ref:3234085)   #147
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

No different to last season though really. It started silly and got more conservative. Then some fans got a bit uppity and we are back where we started. Just an interminable loop of bad tyre/sensible tyre pish.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 20:42 (Ref:3234179)   #148
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

The infamous Pirelli show !
Old 14 Apr 2013, 20:55 (Ref:3234196)   #149
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Just be thankful Pirelli make tyres and not prophylactics.
Old 14 Apr 2013, 23:44 (Ref:3234285)   #150
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest View Post
It is said that Pirelli will supply more durable tyres from the Spanish Grand Prix.
Medium and hard, do you reckon?

Quote:
The driver will have to find the best possible strategy by himself.
Really? Will he not have his team telling him how much he needs to twiddle with knobs, etc?

Quote:
The disaster of the 2005 United States Grand Prix had nothing to do with the tyre war.
Yes they did. The FIA have no control over how any tyre manufacturer makes a tyre with regard to pushing the boundaries on safe construction during a tyre war. A faster tyre will necessarily be of lighter construction (less unsprung weight), and the lighter the better. Fact.

Quote:
However, with the current tyres doing a better job does not pay off.
Were you not watching todays race? Which cars finished first, second, third, fourth and fifth?

It's not like Marussia were in with a chance of victory.