Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 27 May 2014, 13:59 (Ref:3411327)   #51
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Thanks.

Well if, ''The Finance Committee approved 48 pages of changes in a matter of minutes, with only one vote of opposition, from Sen. Dan Claitor, R-Baton Rouge.'', to quote the article, it would seem that it's very much in someone's interest that the race goes ahead.

Old 27 May 2014, 19:11 (Ref:3411447)   #52
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Thanks.

Well if, ''The Finance Committee approved 48 pages of changes in a matter of minutes, with only one vote of opposition, from Sen. Dan Claitor, R-Baton Rouge.'', to quote the article, it would seem that it's very much in someone's interest that the race goes ahead.

Budgets are very much a fluid notion at the state level. Getting a number in the budget doesn't necessarily guarantee you will be paid. Love to see the race happen, but it is a lot of construction to do and that pesky hurricane season can setback the building process.
Old 28 May 2014, 20:20 (Ref:3412048)   #53
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I'm a bit surprised this didn't get posted when the talk about Brasilia came up.
http://www.indycar.com/News/2014/03/...turn-To-Brazil

As for Brainerd, a few hours from the Twin Cities is no worse than the drive from here to the speedway up by KC. Yeah, the old course would need some work with adding barriers, and doing something about the run-off for Turn 1. Roads already exist to have a pit lane. Also, I don't know that the tighter Turn 9 would be needed, or be helpful. The Indy Cars might well be easy flat-out through there. As another example, the ALMS had a hell of a time using the West Bend Chicane at Lime Rock, and they eventually gave up on it and went back to the old, faster corner.

NOLA was designed as a club/bike circuit, and Wilson even admits that the North Course wasn't actually designed for racing originally, but for driving/testing. So, the layout isn't exactly spectacular to begin with.

The issue isn't just that NOLA is flat. (BTW, Thruxton isn't flat; it's no Oulton Park or Brands Hatch, but it's no Silverstone Arena GP Circuit either.) The issue is that the track is flat, distinctive landmarks around the course are hard to come by, AND everything around the track is just so bloody far away from the racing surface itself. So, the course seems to back lacking in apparent overtaking opportunities, is very flat, AND is largely devoid of other good reference points that could anchor it in its environment to allow the viewer, either live or on TV, to get a good, compelling sense of the speed and agility of the cars as they go around the track. (I can tell you that the old Hockenheim, and present Sebring, had/have plenty of good reference points up pretty darn close to those circuits, which impress(ed) upon the viewer just how fast and frantic the action really was/is.) It's the same problem that afflicts a number of the newer F1 circuits. As I point out in my comments to the RACER article, it is the main thing that diminishes that section of esses at Austin, which ought to/could be a much more exciting sequence of turns to watch than it is.
Old 30 May 2014, 13:14 (Ref:3412685)   #54
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Marshall Pruett has interviewed Mike Miles.

Quote:
We are focused on adding a couple of international races at the beginning of 2015.

We want to go in the period immediately following the Super Bowl and through the first week of March. And whether that ends up being one or two international races for next year – and I think ultimately there may be three or four – there's room for that. And then we'll be racing solidly seven months.

So we're looking forward to showing that to folks when we get it in place. I don't know exactly where we will come out of it.

There could be strong interest [for new teams] based on the venues – we may be in places, at least one that is really dazzling, that will help IndyCar sparkle.

Monaco?

Actually, think something like Dubai. Street race. It would be an unbelievable sort of sparkling, star-studded way to start the new season abroad. And what that exposure would do for us, we'll see; whether it's more interest from investors for teams and drivers or simply to add an upscale, sophistication that comes with some of the international opportunities. Or all of the above. We'll see. It will be a good thing.
Old 30 May 2014, 15:34 (Ref:3412738)   #55
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This fascination with expanding beyond North America is really worrying to me. It just isn't the right time to do something like this.

The series is struggling with grid numbers which have slowly declined. Not to mention that the series struggled to get 33 cars for the Indy 500.

Teams are on a tight budget and expanding the schedule will further put stress on these finances. Penske, Ganassi, and Andretti may have the funds but what about KV, Dale Coyne, and other smaller teams?

Most current sponsors have little to no presence in the world outside of North America, which makes these international races redundant. Maybe new sponsors will come in but IndyCar's minute presence in the media isn't very convincing.

IndyCar has struggled to attract viewers in the United States, although there has been a slight increase this year. Obtaining a strong fanbase in North America should be their first primary goal.
Old 30 May 2014, 15:50 (Ref:3412750)   #56
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
DS" should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
This fascination with expanding beyond North America is really worrying to me. It just isn't the right time to do something like this.
Well, if the venue pay good money, why shouldn't IndyCar go there? Now I still remember the Tsingtao debacle, but Mark Miles didn't have anything to do with it. And like others, I don't like street courses very much. But like it or not, they do seem to bring in the money these days.

Quote:
Maybe new sponsors will come in but IndyCar's minute presence in the media isn't very convincing.
A proper international TV deal would be sufficient for now. The reason why CART was so popular in Europe during the 90's was also due to superb coverage by EuroSport. Maybe IndyCar should negotiate with EuroSport again? Not to mention that this could also open them the door towards the other Discovery channels, notably Velocity (And yes, I'm familiar with the fact, that IndyCar still has a contract with NBCSN until 2019)...okay, it wouldn't make any difference on the ratings, if IndyCar airs on Velocity or NBCSN on cable.

Quote:
IndyCar has struggled to attract viewers in the United States, although there has been a slight increase this year. Obtaining a strong fanbase in North America should be their first primary goal.
I think IndyCar wants to do that. But delivering a good on-track and television product is the first step in doing so. Of course, you also have to sell your product to someone.
Old 30 May 2014, 17:03 (Ref:3412784)   #57
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
HighParker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
I'm guessing there are talks going on to move it to a post-Caribana date. They can't afford to take another year off, it almost killed the race last time
August won't work for Toronto. All of the concrete barriers and fences have to be removed by then to make room for Canadian National Exhibition set-up.
Old 30 May 2014, 17:38 (Ref:3412795)   #58
Hendrix
Racer

United States
Minnesota
Hendrix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
okay, it wouldn't make any difference on the ratings, if IndyCar airs on Velocity or NBCSN on cable.
The ratings would be much worse on Velocity as it's currently an HD only channel (and seems to usually be on the higher end of TV packages where NBCSN is becoming more common on lower ones).
Old 30 May 2014, 17:56 (Ref:3412802)   #59
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendrix View Post
The ratings would be much worse on Velocity as it's currently an HD only channel (and seems to usually be on the higher end of TV packages where NBCSN is becoming more common on lower ones).
I see. Thanks for clarifying. So does that mean that NBCSN moves to the same segment ESPN is in? Because from what I understand, ESPN is basic cable, while NBCSN or Fox Sports are premium packages. Forgive me for asking such "noobish" questions, but my knowledge of American TV is limited, since it's hard to receive in Germany.
Old 30 May 2014, 18:11 (Ref:3412812)   #60
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post

The series is struggling with grid numbers which have slowly declined. Not to mention that the series struggled to get 33 cars for the Indy 500.

Teams are on a tight budget and expanding the schedule will further put stress on these finances. Penske, Ganassi, and Andretti may have the funds but what about KV, Dale Coyne, and other smaller teams?

Most current sponsors have little to no presence in the world outside of North America, which makes these international races redundant. Maybe new sponsors will come in but IndyCar's minute presence in the media isn't very convincing.

I don't see why IndyCar can't do both. It gives good exposure abroad and if somewhere like Dubai is willing to pay good money, others could follow suit and the IRL can use that money to help market and promote the series at home.

The biggest problem I see with the series is with the current TV broadcasting contract with NBCSN. Since F1 shared broadcasting with the BBC and Sky, over here, TV audiences have started to fall. People are reluctant to pay for something when it was originally it was free.
Old 30 May 2014, 19:14 (Ref:3412837)   #61
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I get that these international venues will pay IndyCar but what about the teams? Will the IRL fund transportation of all the equipment to and from these international destinations? If the burden of these additional costs are placed on the teams, I don't see how these international races are good for IndyCar.
Old 30 May 2014, 19:55 (Ref:3412860)   #62
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They won't be doing stuff that'll break the teams. Derrick Walker isn't a dummy. The rest of them, all bets are off when it comes to stupidity but Walker has his head bolted onto his shoulders.

Is this all part of the 'winter series' idea they where bubbling about last year?
Old 30 May 2014, 20:02 (Ref:3412869)   #63
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Marshall Pruett has interviewed Mike Miles.
Do you have the link for this interview?
Old 30 May 2014, 20:08 (Ref:3412877)   #64
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
This is the full piece.
http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/10...e-of-the-sport

I'd be fine with another early round in Latin America to go with the race in Brasilia, but this other stuff just seems a bit far-fetched. Heck, while they're at it, maybe they can do a trial run of the re-worked Baku street circuit F1 wants to run.
Old 30 May 2014, 20:34 (Ref:3412899)   #65
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
So Mike Miles wants to start as near after the Super Bowl as possible but that still leaves a very long off season, September to February. I can only assume that the time will be used for developing the aero-kits.
Old 31 May 2014, 18:34 (Ref:3413287)   #66
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS" View Post
Maybe IndyCar should negotiate with EuroSport again?
Eurosport is now aiming at major events like Enligsh Premier League.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 11:04 (Ref:3413681)   #67
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Eurosport is now aiming at major events like Enligsh Premier League.
Are they? Haven't heard about something like that in Europe. But then again, Eurosport hasn't done much coverage of US sports over the past years, so it seems like their focus isn't on North America at the moment. Then again, with Discovery as the new majority owner, things may change.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 14:51 (Ref:3413754)   #68
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
See here and here.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 17:59 (Ref:3413822)   #69
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
If Eurosport are making ambitious bids for high profile soccer, then it's difficult to have much confidence in their ability to show Indycar live. Even Eurosport at its Indycar peak often struggled to show it live. BT Sport/ESPN UK actually make courageous efforts in showing the races live and in good order. Motors TV UK and International might be a 2nd alternative. Their Sunday evenings are often quiet, they've pan-European reach and have space to broadcast it live.
Old 1 Jun 2014, 18:14 (Ref:3413827)   #70
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Motors TV UK and International might be a 2nd alternative. Their Sunday evenings are often quiet, they've pan-European reach and have space to broadcast it live.
As far as Germany is concerned, Motors TV isn't really a better alternative to the current rights holders Sport1 (Who show IndyCar on their premium channel "Sport1 US"), except that Motors would probably show all races live. But apart from that, Motors TV is also on premium cable in Germany. But from a European point of view, Motors TV would be a good alternative for IndyCar, as they are Pan-European. But the question is: Has Motors TV the same Pan-European reach as Eurosport?
Old 5 Jun 2014, 16:29 (Ref:3415801)   #71
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
I am still wondering what will happen in Toronto in 2015, given that the Pan Am Games are going to be on the same site at the same time. Haven't heard anything from any of the people I know here who would likely know. AFAIK the current contract is up at the end of 2014.
And if it hasn't already been mentioned, Hotel X Toronto is being built there, and the artwork shows new sidewalks, trees, and possibly some of the structure where part of the pit lane and seating have always been for the race weekend.
Old 7 Jun 2014, 04:29 (Ref:3416432)   #72
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighParker View Post
And if it hasn't already been mentioned, Hotel X Toronto is being built there, and the artwork shows new sidewalks, trees, and possibly some of the structure where part of the pit lane and seating have always been for the race weekend.
I hadn't seen that artwork, must take a look. Last year the big hole for the hotel was in what used to be part of the Thunder Alley vendor area. No construction anywhere near the track, but that was just the foundations of the building proper, rather than the sidewalks and landscaping and stuff. I'll see what I can find out this year, will be doing my usual pre-race + race weekend photo gig for Green Savoree again.
Old 7 Jun 2014, 16:31 (Ref:3416640)   #73
HighParker
Racer

Canada
Toronto
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
I hadn't seen that artwork...
http://www.explace.on.ca/database/rt...1%20(1)(1).pdf

The parts of the building that could be a problem are described on the plan as "retail" an "Princes' Boulevard Entry".
http://www.explace.on.ca/database/rt...%20Image18.JPG

Last edited by HighParker; 7 Jun 2014 at 16:59.
Old 7 Jun 2014, 17:32 (Ref:3416656)   #74
DS"
Veteran

Germany
Germany
I know that the Toronto street course is a traditional venue for IndyCar, but wouldn't the Pan Am Games be a good excuse to move over to Mosport? It's not even 80km from Toronto and I'm sure that IndyCar can put up a good show there. Then again, loyalty is everything for IndyCar and it's probably not wise to screw over the guys running the Indy Toronto race.
Old 7 Jun 2014, 21:24 (Ref:3416728)   #75
Marcus666
Racer

Sweden
Marcus666 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Dream Calendar right now:

First (US) stint of events
1. Daytona Road Course
2. Road Atlanta
3. Long Beach

Japan/Australia incursion tour stint

4. Adelaide street circuit
5. Motegi road course

Second stint

6. Indianapolis (500)
7. Mid Ohio
8. Detroit