Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 23 Nov 2004, 10:46 (Ref:1161636)   #1
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vista Formula Ford car

These cars (or perhaps it was just one!) were made in Dewsbury in Yorkshire, in around 1969/70. I remember seeing an advertisement by the manufacturer, showing a car with a long pointed nose, but apart from that, I know nothing about them at all. Can anyone enlighten me, please?
Old 20 Mar 2006, 23:39 (Ref:1555366)   #2
Henk A. Hazelaar
Rookie

Netherlands
Netherlands
Henk A. Hazelaar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Vista Formula Ford car

Dear Dave Morgan,

This is what I found about de Vista Formula Ford car in a old Autosport Magazine.
(advertisements)

Vista

An Autosport ad in the Jan.27.1972 issue touts the first FF produced by the Asquith Brothers (Engineering) Ltd. of Dewesbury, Yorkshire.
It was called the Vista (which apparently stood for "Victory In Seventy Two Assured") and type-number "111".

Victory In Seventy Two Assured

Regards,

Henk A. Hazelaar
Old 21 Mar 2006, 09:16 (Ref:1555547)   #3
James Murray
Racer

James Murray should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is now owned by Martin Asquith Fox son of the original builder. Martin raced it in HSCC Formula Ford in the 90's but unfortunately had a bad accident at Cadwell Park resulting in the car being severely damaged along with Martin's ankles.
Old 21 Mar 2006, 09:19 (Ref:1555549)   #4
davemorganfan
Racer

davemorganfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolute amazement here - I'd almost forgotten all about this! Thanks Henk and James. I have a vague recollection of seeing the car in a race at Rufforth in the early 70s with Mike Fox at the wheel, but I can't be 100% sure (aging brain cells, etc....).
Old 21 May 2013, 07:42 (Ref:3250955)   #5
Graham Clayton
Racer

Australia
South Windsor, NSW Australia
Graham Clayton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Vista cars win any races in '72? if they didn't then that slogan looks pretty foolish!
Old 21 May 2013, 09:14 (Ref:3251001)   #6
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just to add my two pennorth. Mike Fox ran (owned?) Asquith Brothers and built the Vista. As far as I can recall there was only one car and I think at some stage it also ran in F3 guise - probably before it became a Formula Ford. The car was not a front runner but was by no means disgraced either.

I remember towing a Ford Anglia Twincam there to have an exhaust made back in the late 60s.
Old 23 May 2013, 07:43 (Ref:3252051)   #7
dikko
Veteran

United Kingdom
Herts
dikko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Creator of the 1970's VISTA Marque Mike Asquith-Fox is indeed up and running. He races in the 2CV bunch in the top ten and at 75 has threatened to race the Vista FF at The Silverstone Classic on his 76 birthday! He's not booked in yet and we hope will.

His Son Martin did race the FF and was a front-runner after a bit of tweeking, as James says he had a crash but it didn't put him off, his lack of return is mainly down to starting a hungry family about that time. When he finishes work in the middle-east he may be back to join the Historic FF's again. That car is fully rebuilt. As I understand it there are three other Vista chassis in the barn somewhere 2 FF and one F3 along with some other stuff Mike dabbles in.
Dick Dixon HFF Drivers rep.
We are doing a piece on 'Historic Connections' for our website. Anybody got any more 'still around - name, cars and faces'?
Old 12 May 2020, 10:16 (Ref:3975681)   #8
JMLB
Rookie

JMLB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At Ingliston in April 1971 Dave Manners from Darlington was entered in a Vista Mk2 Formula Ford and finished 8th. By the next meeting he was driving an Alexis!