Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History > Historic Image Archive

Old 15 Jan 2009, 06:11 (Ref:2371774)   #26
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Attleborough- 5 minutes from Snet!
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Hi Philip- not quite Duncan's car! The original 4 L2s were registered MPH329, MPH995, MPH996 & MPH998. Sadly the last, 'ours', is the only one missing now. Duncan has been trying to find it for years without success. This is his car at Revival 2008-
Old 15 Jan 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2371858)   #27
Roger Clark
Rookie

Roger Clark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Bell
Thanks for that, Roger. Looking at other pics elsewhere it does seem to be a Mk2 and Snetterton is possible because with young family and being a farmer Dad didn't travel very far. I am wondering if the Connaught 'A' type was at the same meeting?
If the Connaught is from the same meeting it's probably either Leslie Marr or Charles Boulton. I don't have a full list of starters but they are the only Connaughts mentioned in race reports. There is an article about Marr in the current (February) issue of Motor Sport and a full page picture of him at the previous week's Goodwood meeting. I don't think it is the same car, so this is probably Boulton's.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2371988)   #28
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
Leigh Trevail should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am sorry Mike; but that is not Fersfield, although it may be Bentwaters. The Lotus could be GCF 567, which belonged to Moray Rash. It had an M.G. engine which was from his previous car.
Old 15 Jan 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2372115)   #29
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!Mike Bell has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Trevail
I am sorry Mike; but that is not Fersfield, although it may be Bentwaters. The Lotus could be GCF 567, which belonged to Moray Rash. It had an M.G. engine which was from his previous car.
Worth a try, Leigh! I will see if can get the Lotus regn no from the original pic.

Thanks John T for reducing the last photo- though it was a bit big but had reduced it from original! I'll get the hang of that photobucket thing one day.........

Mike
Old 15 Jan 2009, 20:44 (Ref:2372278)   #30
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
By my calculation GCF 567 was registered March 1954, so if this is the same car the photographs were taken after then..
Old 17 Jan 2009, 10:02 (Ref:2373236)   #31
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
I took the liberty to email the fouth Sprint photograph to Chris Wyatt, who was Ben's nephew, this is his reply...........

Yes it is Ben, after 1'st season the car was returned to Fraser Nash; who put on a De Dion back axle, with Rudge Whitworth hubs & Borrani rimmed wire wheels all round. This also inc. moving the engine back in the chassis, to better the weight distribution.
Old 17 Jan 2009, 10:06 (Ref:2373238)   #32
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
Likewise I forwarded the Bugatti photo to George Cayley who was John Sarginson's stepson, this is his reply..

Thank you Leigh, a good picture; I think taken at Snetterton during a sprint event. This was after the car was totally rebuilt following a major accident (also at Snetterton). I havn't seen this picture before. regards George
Old 17 Jan 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2373382)   #33
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
The first photograph shows a Healey Silverstone in the background. In correspondance with Chris Berens of the Healey Club he wrote this...

... it is DVG 807 (E 74) owned then by Peter Riley or Charles Boulton depending on the date of the photo.

Unfortunately this does nothing to date the photo as that registration was issued in 1949 / 50
Old 21 Jan 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2375843)   #34
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Venables
NEXT PHOTO IS bUGATTI T-35 OR 51, THEN lOTUS 6, DONT KNOW THE NEXT, AND LAST IS EARLY cOOPER bRISTOL, POSSIBLY aNTONY cROOK
The one between the Lotus & the Cooper is a Lister Bristol, I have just reread Powered By Jaguar & its in there, if I could just work out the Reg no properly I might work out who's car.
Old 21 Jan 2009, 08:30 (Ref:2375867)   #35
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastDB2s
The one between the Lotus & the Cooper is a Lister Bristol, I have just reread Powered By Jaguar & its in there, if I could just work out the Reg no properly I might work out who's car.
The regn no of the car between the Lotus V1 and Frazer Nash (confirmed) is MER 303 (issued 1954) and initial thoughts are that is is a Buckler. Happy to have confirmation either way!

Regards, Mike
Old 21 Jan 2009, 09:06 (Ref:2375896)   #36
Ted Walker
Veteran

Ted Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The 6th photo is Archie Scott Brown in the Lister MG
Old 21 Jan 2009, 21:31 (Ref:2376401)   #37
FastDB2s
Veteran

England
Solihull, West Mids
FastDB2s should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Walker
The 6th photo is Archie Scott Brown in the Lister MG
Yep, chassis no. BHL1 - 1953 1.2ltr MG 4 cyl Lister- MG with Wakefield body, believed broken up, reg no then went on
chassis no. BHL1 (2nd version I suppose) - 1956 2ltr 6 cyl Lister-Maserati, engine from a from A6GCS now in States (or was in 2005)

Both cars driven by Archie Scott Brown as they were works cars.
Interestingly the Lister-Maserati only netted Archie 3 first places.
A quote from Doug Nye's book 'Powered by Jaguar'
'Don Moore: When the car was first completed Archie was pleased as punch & decided he'd drive it down to Snetterton for testing on the road. He hadn't gone far before the engine got itself in a terrible mess. When I pulled it all apart I found that where the oil filter mesh had been soldered into the filter body, somebody had allowed the solder to spread across the mesh itself, halving the oil flow & leaving no feed at all to the top of the engine.
After a major rebuild I ran it up on the brake & decided to whip-off the cam covers to see how much oil there was up there -- & there were the brand new camshafts actaully wearing away before my eyes! They hadn't been hardened at the factory; they were so soft you could file them.'

Good book that, seem's like they had problems from new - same as James Martin's car in the Miile Miglia years ago & possibly now.
Old 22 Jan 2009, 05:47 (Ref:2376573)   #38
Mike Bell
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
That's wonderful- Archie was an early hero of mine (still is) and I know we watched him race at Snetterton. Must read 'Archie & the Listers' and improve my knowledge of the great man! And as for the cars themselves, my lottery win would be heading the way of a Costin bodied version very quickly......

Thanks all for your help with the pics.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2379202)   #39
D-Type
Veteran

United Kingdom
Coulsdon, Surrey
D-Type should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you haven't yet read Archie and the Listers you absolutely must do so. It is brilliantly evocative of the era and far far more than a "Next week they went to Silverstone ..." -style biography.

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 14:10 (Ref:2381436)   #40
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
Apparently John Sarginson's Bugatti is the car that Achille Varzi won the 1933 Monaco Grand Prix with.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2381439)   #41
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely not. Sarginson's car was a T35T (2.3 litres unblown) and built in 1926 or 7.
Varzi's Monaco GP winner was a T51 (twin cam 2.3 litres and blown). A different animal entirely.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 16:20 (Ref:2381498)   #42
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
James: You might well be right, I am not in a position to argue, which is why I started with ‘Apparently’. My information came from Sarginson’s step son, he is under the impression that it was a Type 51.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 16:36 (Ref:2381513)   #43
jamesholland
Racer

Oh dear! I don't feel comfortable arguing these points with members of the subjects family so please accept my apologies for being dogmatic.

Unless the registration number was transferred then NRT 555 was a T35T - at least it was when Frank Wall had it in the 1980s. Perhaps its best to check with David Sewell the Bugatti historian.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 11:24 (Ref:2388074)   #44
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
Having checked with the Bugatti Club, I can confirm that the Bugatti (Type 51, chassis no. 51145) shown in the photograph driven by John Sarginson; was the car that won the 1933 Monaco Grand Prix!

However; James is correct in as much that the car was sold to Frank Wall, who later used the registration number on a Type 37, presumably after the Type 51 was exported to America.
Old 4 Feb 2009, 11:49 (Ref:2388088)   #45
jamesholland
Racer

Leigh,please accept my apologies.

The T37 was presumably re engined with an unblown 2.3
Old 4 Feb 2009, 12:18 (Ref:2388110)   #46
Leigh Trevail
Rookie

England
South Norfolk
"Leigh, please accept my apologies".

Apologies accepted!
Old 5 Feb 2009, 05:00 (Ref:2388666)   #47
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Who, what, where, when?

A friend has sent me a picture and wants to know all the info he can about it.

Of course I have no idea so I thought I would come to the experts.

Im assuming its from the 70's some time , but I really have no idea as its before my time.

Does anyone have any clue ??

Last edited by John Turner; 12 Feb 2009 at 17:41.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 05:57 (Ref:2388675)   #48
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
derrrrrrrr... Its Ronnie peterson's march isnt it...Im a little slow today
Old 5 Feb 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2389029)   #49
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's Ronnie alright but in a March711 from 1971. I have no idea which track though.

Glyn
Old 5 Feb 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2389292)   #50
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1971 South African GP at Kyalami - debut race for the 711.

Bob Marley