Old 3 Feb 2020, 10:58 (Ref:3955440)   #4701
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Ouch, it seems like Honda is still nursing a grudge to this day. They vetoed Alonso running with Andretti in 2020.

https://racer.com/2020/02/02/honda-v...indy-500-deal/

Interesting thought, IF Andretti was considering a car for Alonso and had everything lined up until Honda Japan said no, do they have the car available? There's a certain Honda Canada driver without a ride and with some sponsor money out there. It could solve 2 problems BUT what does his contact say about that? He supposedly gets paid if he doesn't run, if he runs how much will it cost him? Hopefully no penalty just not getting that SPAM paycheck. Most drivers would pay to drive over sit and get paid.
Well, calling the Honda engine a "GP2" engine at Suzuka, a track owned by Honda certainly was not a very smart move.

especially since Honda were also paying part of Alonso's salary.
Old 3 Feb 2020, 12:39 (Ref:3955457)   #4702
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Fred said in a recent interview he regrets not so much the comment, but the fact it was broadcast, as he said it in the heat of the moment. Honda should just move on from that. I'm sure Fred was a lot more positive about the Indy engine he used in 2017, apart from the fact it broke down near the end
Old 3 Feb 2020, 13:21 (Ref:3955460)   #4703
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought if Alonso was to make another attempt at Indy this year, it would be with SPAM. So I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, regarding his comments about Honda, when SPAM use Chevy in anycase?
Old 3 Feb 2020, 14:03 (Ref:3955468)   #4704
Formulahistory
Veteran

Formulahistory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sag that Andretti couldn't run a Chevrolet car for Alonso...
Old 3 Feb 2020, 14:16 (Ref:3955470)   #4705
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some interesting comments from Sam Schmidt, regarding Alonso and this year's 500. Reading between the lines, it looks like Sam Schmidt is waiting to be approached by Alonso.

http://classic.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/148112
Old 3 Feb 2020, 15:12 (Ref:3955483)   #4706
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I thought if Alonso was to make another attempt at Indy this year, it would be with SPAM. So I'm not sure what all the fuss is about, regarding his comments about Honda, when SPAM use Chevy in anycase?
I'm guessing the public announcement of him no longer being a McLaren ambassador was an indication that possibility with SPAM is over. I'm guessing things were said of a GP2 chassis in nature and not making the field did not instill him with confidence.

I think his best chance is likely with them, other Chevy teams have openings BUT not at the top 2 by far on ovals, Penske and ECR. Dragonspeed always takes checks but can they get you in the race any better than SPAM? Foyt likes sponsors but he's got TK in the seat for the ovals so probably not likely with a 3rd car. And then there's Carlin, no one confirmed at all there I believe but again can they get you a good seat?
Old 3 Feb 2020, 15:22 (Ref:3955485)   #4707
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
I'm guessing the public announcement of him no longer being a McLaren ambassador was an indication that possibility with SPAM is over. I'm guessing things were said of a GP2 chassis in nature and not making the field did not instill him with confidence.

I think his best chance is likely with them, other Chevy teams have openings BUT not at the top 2 by far on ovals, Penske and ECR. Dragonspeed always takes checks but can they get you in the race any better than SPAM? Foyt likes sponsors but he's got TK in the seat for the ovals so probably not likely with a 3rd car. And then there's Carlin, no one confirmed at all there I believe but again can they get you a good seat?
Last year's attempt was made in association with Carlin and none of their cars/drivers qualified.

I agree, his best chance is with SPAM.
Old 3 Feb 2020, 22:05 (Ref:3955539)   #4708
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Hopefully it’s lovely SPAM for him
Old 3 Feb 2020, 22:09 (Ref:3955542)   #4709
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Hopefully it’s lovely SPAM for him

Wonderful SPAM.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 08:33 (Ref:3955595)   #4710
mstets
Racer

mstets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Last year's attempt was made in association with Carlin and none of their cars/drivers qualified.

I agree, his best chance is with SPAM.

Kimball qualified fairly comfortably in P20 two places behind Dixon, believe that was a Carlin entry.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 09:02 (Ref:3955599)   #4711
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstets View Post
Kimball qualified fairly comfortably in P20 two places behind Dixon, believe that was a Carlin entry.
Indeed he did. I was thinking of O'Ward and Chilton.
Old 4 Feb 2020, 22:11 (Ref:3955743)   #4712
Nikki Katz
Racer

Nikki Katz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't follow Indy Lights, but looking at Kellett's history on Wikipedia he doesn't look great considering the low car counts; he seems to have been battling for last for four years. I can only assume he's got some cash, unless I'm missing something? Obviously Bourdais in the car for the season would have been better, but I'd much rather that they retained Leist than hire this guy. Oh well.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 01:35 (Ref:3955767)   #4713
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kellet brings plenty of money, he has been 7th in a field of 8 in 2019 and 7 in 2018, 12th of 14 in 2017, 10th of 11 in his rookie season of 2016. So he's definitely be tearing up Indy Lights hasn't he. He gets the back half of the season on the road courses and Indy it seems.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 11:13 (Ref:3955844)   #4714
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
So as things stand for A. J. Foyt Enterprises, Charlie Kimball has the full time ride in the #4 car. The #14 car will be shared between Sébastien Bourdais, who will be competing in rounds 1-3 and 16. TK who will race at Indy, plus rounds 9, 11, 13, 15 and Dalton Kellett in rounds 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17. Kellett will also drive the #41 car at Indy.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 12:49 (Ref:3955864)   #4715
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
So as things stand for A. J. Foyt Enterprises, Charlie Kimball has the full time ride in the #4 car. The #14 car will be shared between Sébastien Bourdais, who will be competing in rounds 1-3 and 16. TK who will race at Indy, plus rounds 9, 11, 13, 15 and Dalton Kellett in rounds 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 17. Kellett will also drive the #41 car at Indy.
Yup, makes sense when you think about it doesn't it?
Old 5 Feb 2020, 15:14 (Ref:3955893)   #4716
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Current Supercars champion Scott McLaughlin is set to have a debut at the Indy road course!

https://www.teampenske.com/news/inde...qKzKaEQ8F8UY4Q
Old 5 Feb 2020, 15:21 (Ref:3955894)   #4717
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Current Supercars champion Scott McLaughlin is set to have a debut at the Indy road course!

Interesting, as he did some laps at Sebring in January.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 16:15 (Ref:3955912)   #4718
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Maple (yes really), Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Thank you for that... it was making my head spin a bit.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 16:17 (Ref:3955914)   #4719
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
rwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrwintle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Kellet brings plenty of money, he has been 7th in a field of 8 in 2019 and 7 in 2018, 12th of 14 in 2017, 10th of 11 in his rookie season of 2016. So he's definitely be tearing up Indy Lights hasn't he. He gets the back half of the season on the road courses and Indy it seems.

Yeah, he's slow. Locally (here in Toronto) quite popular and always has a big squad of supporters in the stands, so that's good I guess. Man I wish Bourdais had the ride, but I guess he now has to consider juggling the IMSA schedule with IndyCar commitments, too.

That said, IMSA races at CTMP the weekend before the Toronto Indy, so I guess it could have happened... ah well.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 17:19 (Ref:3955933)   #4720
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post

I purchased Superview last season for V8's and enjoyed following the Scott's Supercars championship run, so this coming together of worlds is very exciting to see. I remember Scott explicitly mentioning how his neck was incredibly sore after his extensive testing with Penkse at Sebring a few weeks ago, it will be interesting to see if he will be able to acclimate himself to the strains of high-G open wheel racing between now and then, especially for the ~90 odd lap Indy GP.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 18:44 (Ref:3955962)   #4721
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
More Kiwis in Indycars....lock up your sheep America...
Old 5 Feb 2020, 19:56 (Ref:3955981)   #4722
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender View Post
More Kiwis in Indycars....lock up your sheep America...
We keep them far away from the race tracks, in the mountains with the Mormons a lot actually. Well and New York but Indy doesn't go there anymore sadly. Great show but TERRIBLE dates, Labor Day is a lake weekend before they freeze.

Racer has some musings about what the test race might be used for. Have to wonder if the team and Power have talked and he's ready to hang it up at the end of this deal. Think he's done after the 2020 season so could he retire or step back a bit, or want to do IMSA if Roger renews the Acura deal?
Old 5 Feb 2020, 20:00 (Ref:3955983)   #4723
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
We keep them far away from the race tracks, in the mountains with the Mormons a lot actually. Well and New York but Indy doesn't go there anymore sadly. Great show but TERRIBLE dates, Labor Day is a lake weekend before they freeze.
I went to Salt Lake City once. Lots of Mormons and mountains but I don't remember seeing any sheep. They could have been hiding.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 20:05 (Ref:3955985)   #4724
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
I went to Salt Lake City once. Lots of Mormons and mountains but I don't remember seeing any sheep. They could have been hiding.
They knew the Kiwis were coming.
Old 5 Feb 2020, 20:11 (Ref:3955988)   #4725
rwintle
Veteran

Canada
Hm - hadn't previously heard any rumours about Power retiring(?!).

I'm also interested that the article about McLaughlin says he's running the #2... does that mean Newgarden will carry #1 this year? Seems logical but I don't remember anything to that effect. And because my memory is crap, I don't recall if he used #1 in his previous championship-defence season?