Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 4 Feb 2015, 19:18 (Ref:3500950)   #51
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwintle View Post
The internet has, deservedly, a reputation as being a place where people who don't know each other can say mean things with (almost) impunity. Which is a shame, but reality.

However, it is also a place where people from all over the world can discuss and enjoy each other's experiences, tales, and humour - and share in their trials. I've not been at Ten Tenths very long, and am certainly not part of the UK marshalling crowd who hangs out in this corner of the forum, but nevertheless I've enjoyed reading and hearing about some of your experiences.

And so, Shelagh, I hope it's not inappropriate to wish you all the best, from the other side of the proverbial pond, even though we've never met.

Best,
Richard (sometime motorsport fan, avid photographer, occasional Ten-Tenths poster).
Thank you, Richard, for confirming why I only use this forum for this. Anyone who is prepared to get up at early doors; stand out on the bank for hours in all sorts of weather and potentially deal with really nasty situations is not going to be a "troll" (a word I hate). We really are a family and it is very much appreciated. The support is just fantastic.

Scary mask now fitted: not as bad a thing as I'd worried about. Taken the steroids later than usual, so now hungry but at least that means Bill will get fed !
Old 4 Feb 2015, 20:51 (Ref:3500993)   #52
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh View Post
Anyone who is prepared to get up at early doors; stand out on the bank for hours in all sorts of weather and potentially deal with really nasty situations is not going to be a "troll"
Although one or two need a second glance to be sure first thing in the morning...
Old 5 Feb 2015, 10:11 (Ref:3501256)   #53
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Although one or two need a second glance to be sure first thing in the morning...
. . . & some of us are best not looked at first thing in the morning!
Old 5 Feb 2015, 11:17 (Ref:3501280)   #54
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
. . . & some of us are best not looked at first thing in the morning!
Certainly if a mirror is being used to look at said person .......
Old 6 Feb 2015, 07:48 (Ref:3501831)   #55
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lovely to speak to Steve yesterday - and thank you for the "ear". You definitely worked some magic because I managed to stay up later than usual, watch some TV and sleep relatively well - which is why this post is at a more "normal" time - not up as early as I've been doing recently! More proof about the wonderful support being received, especially via this Forum.

Definitely on the radar to meet up with you and Laura. Just not making definite plans at the moment.

xx to Everyone, with huge thanks.

(Still got that 1st wedding anniversary to organise.......)!
Old 18 Feb 2015, 23:51 (Ref:3506386)   #56
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just by way of update, we spent a lovely evening on Monday in the company of Bill and Shelagh in one of Wolverhampton's more salubrious establishments ahead of her commencing the next round of treatments.

The message from yesterday was that the first go 'wasn't too bad' so fingers crossed everything will continue the same. The intention is to catch up with them again next week to see how she's getting on and to give Bill a bit of a rest!
Old 19 Feb 2015, 18:39 (Ref:3506740)   #57
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the update. Please give her my best wishes.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 08:14 (Ref:3506946)   #58
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Newns View Post
Thanks for the update. Please give her my best wishes.
And from me to.

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 20 Feb 2015, 13:22 (Ref:3507019)   #59
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Will do. I shall make a suitable list.
Old 20 Feb 2015, 14:19 (Ref:3507051)   #60
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Slight delay on posting this, having just spent nearly two weeks at Hotel New Cross Hospital.

Although the nasty C hadn't gone through the lymph nodes, two little tiny bits have broken away and found a home elsewhere. One on the brain - operated on but not all got rid of, and one on the liver - but small and well away from any important bits, like ducts.

So, they are going to control the liver one through chemo (which may help the brain), and keep radiotherapy on the brain in reserve should it be required.

So, I'll be having chemo every 3 weeks for ever (and scans to check things every 12) which, added to me being on a stick/crutches for the balance, means that I will have to reluctantly give up marshalling. Not even sure I would make it for the day if Bill volunteered.

I'll keep up the membership of the marshals' club but not bother with an MSA licence.

So, all the best to all of you and I'll continue as an "armchair marshal" - so behave
So sorry to hear this news. Life is so cruel sometimes. Keep us updated on your progress and from over in the Historic Motor Sport thread many many thanks for what you have done for us drivers in the past.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 00:26 (Ref:3507231)   #61
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Got back from Wolverhampton earlier today to be inundated with all this good will. Brilliant.

Now completed 4 of the 10 (week)daily treatments and it is building up in the system so not currently feeling too wonderful (unless I read this thread). Meeting up with Chris and Jan was lovely and we did manage a night out at the pictures (Shaun the Sheep - no plot to follow but lots of chuckling), so keeping things "simples". Ate at Nando's and pretended we were in Portugal. Might have worked but for the rain!

Thanks to steroids I now have "chipmunk cheeks", a treble chin and very fat ankles! At least the hair is only going from the fringe and not all over. I look like I have a tan. Also means I can't sleep. Just had obligatory 10mins so have got up to let Bill get his much needed rest without me disturbing him. Much easier at home when I can come downstairs and play on t'internet and leave him to it. Bless him.

Thank you, again, for all the good wishes.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 10:15 (Ref:3507303)   #62
Paul Newns
Veteran

Haven't got steroids as an excuse for my double chin and chipmunk cheeks, unfortunately. Just a weak metabolism that doesn't process the huge amounts of calories I've consumed over the years (design weakness in many males).

You do realise that with all these steroids you'll never be allowed to compete in sport ever again!

Good luck in the coming weeks, Shelagh.
Old 21 Feb 2015, 18:01 (Ref:3507412)   #63
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
My big sister who has recently had chemo followed by radiotherapy was well enough to drive over to see us last week for the first time since starting her treatment, and was proudly showing off the growth of returning hair - she's got more than me, now, though that isn't saying much!

I know she's had a rough time, but its great to see her improving. Hope we can say the same for you, Shelagh - and all the best in the meantime.
Old 22 Feb 2015, 03:21 (Ref:3507554)   #64
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
My big sister who has recently had chemo followed by radiotherapy was well enough to drive over to see us last week for the first time since starting her treatment, and was proudly showing off the growth of returning hair - she's got more than me, now, though that isn't saying much!

I know she's had a rough time, but its great to see her improving. Hope we can say the same for you, Shelagh - and all the best in the meantime.
Having lost my hair twice and had it grow back curly both times, I hope your sister will be pleased with the results. Just wish the curls had lasted, but at least I didn't have to worry about a hair-do for the wedding .

Some will say that my having a chunk of brain chopped out won't be noticed by them. They're probably right!

All the best to you, and especially to your sister. Keep positive.
Old 26 Feb 2015, 12:45 (Ref:3509235)   #65
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully, Shelagh's received some flowers today, which I organised on everyone on here's behalf just to show we think of her.

I say organised, but it was anything but, seeing as without using "this place", it's difficult to spread the word, and I couldn't really use this place to ask people. I did manage to get hold of some people, but missed the majority of you, apologies.

So, enjoy the flowers, Shelagh, and everyone else please add below what you'd have written in the card on the flowers
Old 26 Feb 2015, 18:36 (Ref:3509349)   #66
Canute
Rookie

England
Essex
Canute should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A very generous gesture deadsquirrel. Thank you from all of us that have been following this thread.
I've not posted before Shelagh, each year I've been hoping to meet up with you and Bill at FS again.
Having an evening meal with you and Bill was one of the highlights of the weekend for me. (although I told I am a good listener)
You are an inspiration to us all, keep those treble chins up.
Best Wishes
Chris B
Old 27 Feb 2015, 19:40 (Ref:3509767)   #67
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Got home this afternoon after #8 treatment and another adjustment to the face mask they use. Face (ankles and stomach and knees) getting bigger thanks to steroids - but now on a much lower dose aimed at stopping them. Roll it on! I want to get my shoes on without the feet looking like they do (cannot describe, but think BIG and FAT.)

My "fleurist" (aka husband) has decanted this fantastic package that was sitting on the porch into a vase which now has pride of place in the living room on the special "that's where we display them" spot.

They are beautiful and "thank you". The flowers are enough of a thought, but then you think of the thoughts behind the flowers. If that is too profound then blame the drugs!

Good excuse for a Chinese takeaway tonight - "not well, no cooking"

Thank you everyone. I'm not going to do an "Oscar" and thank the world and his wife with a pre-written speech! I am just humbled by the fact that people care and I get a lovely bunch of flowers that I can enjoy.
Old 27 Feb 2015, 19:56 (Ref:3509778)   #68
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've not posted on this thread before but I always look to see the latest news from this brave lady. I am heartened that your fight appears to be keeping the nasties at bay. Long may it continue.
Old 28 Feb 2015, 00:01 (Ref:3509855)   #69
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Rest assured, Shelagh, that however long your treatment takes there will always be those of us chucking a blue flag on the floor in disgust at our inability to get it right.

Plus you've still got more hair than me, as many will attest
Old 1 Mar 2015, 01:29 (Ref:3510183)   #70
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
The wind has picked up but at least it is not raining at the moment. A very relaxing Sunday beckons as I have no reason to set foot outside of the house. The thought of a long, hot soak in the bath is gathering pace. And I used to look forward to days like this for getting out and about at the crack of dawn to go stand on the bank for umpty hours! If nothing else, I'm getting soft in my old age!!

Lovely roast dinner tonight, to have the remainder cold with chips tomorrow while watching Nascar. Then off for the last two treatments - hurrah - and hopefully return to something resembling normality (whatever that is).

Various scans and ultrasounds to get through over the next few weeks but my chauffeur is happy to oblige in taking me. I've still got to buy him that uniform or at least a cap!

Not been a great couple of weeks during this radiotherapy, but flowers and posts are keeping me going. Thank you.
Old 1 Mar 2015, 15:34 (Ref:3510403)   #71
Paul Newns
Veteran

Hope it all goes well, Shelagh. Enjoy your roast. Just had a fish finger butty for my Sunday lunch. Not classy but tasty. Bill in a uniform. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.
Old 2 Mar 2015, 00:45 (Ref:3510522)   #72
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
I wish I hadn't had that bath! Bill had to get me out and it was extremely hard work as the knees/ankles are so swollen they won't bend properly. But we managed, thank goodness. Otherwise I'd still be in there!

As for "uniform/cap" - he is Parker to my Lady Penelope. Not going down the pink Rolls Royce route though. We still have a smidgeon of good taste!
Old 2 Mar 2015, 08:32 (Ref:3510613)   #73
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Various scans and ultrasounds to get through over the next few weeks but my chauffeur is happy to oblige in taking me. I've still got to buy him that uniform or at least a cap!
Please tell me you're not getting Bill to re-enact a scene from The Full Monty?

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 3 Mar 2015, 23:51 (Ref:3511404)   #74
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
I use a towel to preserve both our dignities!

Had the last radiotherapy yesterday so feeling extremely rough at the moment. Went to sleep on the settee and couldn't understand why Bill was up and dressed when I woke up - because it was only 10pm and not 4am as the body was telling me!

Have to sleep sitting up so have built a "nest" on the sofa and just sleep as and when. Seems to work.
Old 4 Mar 2015, 13:38 (Ref:3511640)   #75
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Quote:
Have to sleep sitting up so have built a "nest" on the sofa and just sleep as and when. Seems to work.
I seem to do that anyway, usually with the remote control still in my hand.

Shelagh has kindly sent me pictures of the protective mask which I shall attempt to load later. Unfortunately a bit more 'Bride of Chucky' than Tutankhamun!