Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 30 Dec 2002, 19:33 (Ref:460355)   #1
Jim Lamb
Racer

England
Sutton Coldfield
Jim Lamb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sad News - 'Dick' (Richard Twist)

I have received the sad news that 'Dick' Twist has passed away.
I knew Richard through my involvement with the Midland Hill Climb Venues. Over the years he had a tremendous wealth of Knowledge and experience to offer. He was always willing to help out New Marshals and guide them in the right direction.

Manning a post with Richard was never boring, some of the stories he told were incredibly interesting and I never got bored with hearing them over and over again.

Sadly missed, god bless Dick.

Jim Lamb.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 19:45 (Ref:461153)   #2
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing I can add to that Jim as you've used all the words that I would have to describe Dick.

R.I.P. Dick.
Old 4 Jan 2003, 15:12 (Ref:463579)   #3
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heard the news whilst away on hols over the New Year and to say I was gutted was an understatement.
I can only echo the sentiments above and say that he will be missed by many..
Old 5 Jan 2003, 01:27 (Ref:464057)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Richard will be greatly missed, not only by those who knew him, but also by those who will not now receive the benefit of his patient guidance and huge experience. I only got to know him in his later years, when he was no longer as spritely as he had been. My favourite memory is, as I was setting off uphill hearing him say from behind me "Just remember what I told you. I'll be along in a few minutes...!"

RIP Richard. Thanks for your company and for your advice.
Old 6 Jan 2003, 19:48 (Ref:465646)   #5
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Obituary and Funeral

I am told that Richard's funeral is at 15:30 on Friday 10th January 2003 at the Robin Hood Crematorium in Solihull.

Can I please pass on the following obituary which sums up so much of what Richard meant to so many Midland Region Marshals Club members.

============================================

RICHARD W. TWIST
We record with sadness the untimely death of Richard Twist in hospital on 28th December 2002.

Richard started his Motor Engineering career with Morris Commercial Motors in the engine designing office and then became Senior Engine Designer with the Rover Company at Solihull. He designed the Rover 5 cylinder engine that was dropped in favour of the Buick Skylark V.8. which he reworked to U.K. requirements, just one project, during his 25 years with the company until his retirement.

Richard was a confirmed bachelor who lived alone, quite happy with his collection of vintage motor cycles and kept very active with his numerous activities.

With his professional knowledge he became a valued member of many organisations, a few of which I will name as follows:

The Institute of Mechanical Engineers.
The Institute of Road Transport Engineers.
The Midland British Motor Racing Marshals Club (founder member)
The Prescott Marshals Club (Founder and Life Member)
The Midland Vintage Motorcycle Club (past Chairman)
The Racing Mechanics Club.
The Vintage Sports Car Club.
The Hagley and District Motor Cycle Club.
The Severn Valley Railway World.

Richard was definitely a clubman! His passion in life was motorsport marshalling, both speed and circuit and he possessed a deep and thorough knowledge of all aspects of club sport. Richard was one of the long-time Marshals, serving for over 50 years. Over a period of 45 years, he knew most of the facts of the vintage cars and driver details, which he could reel off verbatim.

Another of his great interests was Steam Railway engineering and he spent many happy hours at Toddington on the 5081 locomotive re-build, in short, anything that had wheels and moved under it's own power, he wanted to know of the works.

Richard's amiable, pleasant and helpful nature will make him greatly missed by all who knew him together with his expertise and knowledge in the above fields and especially in club motorsport.

We offer our condolences to his family.

P. F. Butler
pp. Prescott Marshals Club
and Institute of Road Transport Engineers.