Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Aug 2003, 23:35 (Ref:679087)   #1
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is Michelin resuscitating F1?

It's now becoming clear that the tire wars have produced so much "mechanical" grip that passing is once again possible with modern F1 cars on modern F1 tracks. (And as we saw at Hockenheim, paved runoff areas rather than gravel traps are a godsend for the drivers and fans.)

The last two races have produced passing in corners that aren't supposed to be "passing zones." For several years, a corner at the end of a very long straight was considered the only place to pass. Tracks without long straights were merely processional venues unless it rained. But that's no longer the case -- drivers are once again becoming creative in their driving, and I think we owe it to Michelin.

Any other explanations?
Old 4 Aug 2003, 00:02 (Ref:679099)   #2
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Michelin has certainly caught up lately. It makes you think how much of the F2002 was the car or the tyres that was so dominant. I admit it was both, so please don't flame me!

All I'm saying is that the F2003 is a step-up from the F2002, but now it's in with the pack, which I find astonishing in less than a season.

I was worried at how much of an improvement of the F2003-GA was and thought the opposition was doomed for this season.

I really could not have predicted the current situation.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 00:18 (Ref:679112)   #3
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thing was though that Ferrari could only improve so much, the other teams (and Michelin) realised they had to do something radical and they have done.

Its made for a pretty good season too and I think a tyre war has been pretty important in that regard.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 00:23 (Ref:679113)   #4
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Michelin are doing more than resuscitating, they are starting to dominate, as the only team on Bridgestones that are challenging is Ferrari.

Last night they took the top 6 places thanks to TGFs delamination, while wins are split 7-7.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 00:27 (Ref:679116)   #5
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Also if Goodyear ever return it'll make the tyre war even more explosive if thats at all possible.

However I think today in the hot conditions we also saw the flip side of the increased grip, what with blistering and punctured tyres.

I commented yesterday that those running light in qualifying may have an advantage if the tyres arent up to long runs.... looking at JPMs performance that seemed to be the case.

Roll on Hungary! (never EVER thought I'd say that!)
Old 4 Aug 2003, 00:42 (Ref:679134)   #6
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Max, are you paying attention? Lose the grooves! Grip is good. God is in the grip.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 07:18 (Ref:679260)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
While I agree that a relative increase in mechanical grip can only help, I am not sure the amount there to over a few races ago is that different.

Also it has ben a great race followed by a decent one, but it is only three races since Magny-Cours. I hope the trend continues, but it is too early (and I suspect incorrect) to say overtaking has returned to F1.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 07:49 (Ref:679297)   #8
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really really hope I have to eat my words but I supsect Hungary will bring as back down to earth
Old 4 Aug 2003, 08:18 (Ref:679326)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
michelin definitely deserves nearly all the credit for saving us from another ferrari year.
As for mechanical grip being the saviour-i'm not sure yet.The cars are definitely able to go further off the racing line(or the racing line is less sticky now??)
I wouldn't say it's time to give up on having wings seriously clipped though-that is still needed in the long run
Old 4 Aug 2003, 08:53 (Ref:679345)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's hard to objectively rate how the tytres compare against each other, because I think McLAren, Williams and Renault would be the only teams challenging Ferrari even if everyone was on the same tyre.

However, events since Monaco, when Bridgestone's previous title was outlawed and the Michelin teams all suddenly moved up the order, suggest that they've had a big effect, as its the same down the order - Toyota and Jaguar are now consistantly beating BAR.

As for the overtaking, you might be right. Certainly some of the duelling recently has been down to the superb grip of the new tyres, but it could just be temporary and affected by circumstances. If there's any significant overtaking in Hungary, we can assume that the world has ended.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 09:39 (Ref:679376)   #11
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michelin have done a fantastic job i guess thats what happens when all the teams using M rubber work together and i really hope there is not anther tyre make comes into F1 things are looking very close at the moment the last thing we want is to see something come in and blow that away and then take another 3 years to sort out
Old 4 Aug 2003, 09:44 (Ref:679381)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
If you look back I DID say all along that it was the tyres that made the F2002 the dominant force it was, I knew as soon as Michelin got their act together we would see a fight.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 09:47 (Ref:679384)   #13
Dani Filth
Race Official
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
remember 1997 Hungary ... that was a Bridgestone circuit .. I prey to be a bridgtone circuit againg in 2003

Ciao Marco
Old 4 Aug 2003, 10:32 (Ref:679416)   #14
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
We're still not seeing powerslides though.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 10:39 (Ref:679420)   #15
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The latest tyres are marvellous, but I don't think the ability to over-drive and slide around is part of the design brief for them! Like everything else in F1 the tyres are so marginal that a few laps of untidy driving can wreck them. The skill is in NOT powersliding (although TC does of course help a great deal in that department).
Old 4 Aug 2003, 15:40 (Ref:679714)   #16
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats a good point Monster I always thought the championship would be decided on tyres and you have to wonder how good was that F2oo2. Lets face it the michelin tyre of last year was a complete joke, but have they sorted that out or what
Old 4 Aug 2003, 16:39 (Ref:679755)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cerainly Michelin has improved, but Williams has got the edge again, and this is what counts for the championship !
Old 6 Aug 2003, 07:58 (Ref:681038)   #18
tazzoid
Rookie

tazzoid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think paying more attention to tyres is a brilliant way for the sport to re-route around the FIA's gruelling war against higher speeds. Just think... maybe some little lad somewhere is removing the life-sized poster of Rory Bryne from his bedroom wall and replacing it with... Pierre Dupasquier?