Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Nov 2008, 03:06 (Ref:2334026)   #1
soul_brother
Rookie

soul_brother should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda 2009 Driver Line-Up

I read with some dismay that some believe that the 2009 honda line up will be Jenson Button and Bruno Senna.

I am concerned about this line up because I think it is somewhat unfair, after the season that he had, not to include Rubens Barrichello in the lineup. Jenson was by no means the better driver of the year for this team and, in my opinion, deserve to be punted from the team to make way for another driver, even if that driver is Bruno Senna, the nephew of his late mentor.
I would think the better option would be for Rubens to drive another year, giving Jenson the chance to prove he is worth the tremendous faith Honda has in him, with Ayrto...I mean Bruno, the chance to test for a year, and move up to be game in 2010?
Any thoughts?? I just don't think it's fair at all on Rubens, who has continued to drive well and been the best performing of F1's veterans (including G. Fisichella, D. Coulthard) this year. Not that I am a button hater and certainly am not a Senna hater.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 04:38 (Ref:2334052)   #2
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Even Ross has stated that on the cover of things it seems that RB did better than JB in the car this year. Yes, he scored more points but also the areas of the car that were being developed were areas that suited RB more than Jense. For example the brakes.
Also, remember how political F1 is. Drivers have to be marketable. If sponsors are not flocking to a driver then teams will also lose interest. RB is also the last of the rt foot brakers in F1. His driving style does not match JB's very well so the car is being pulled in different directions by the drivers. This year is a perfect example. The brakes which have been RB's weakness since he has been in the team have been 'improved', this did not help JB very much but RB on the other hand looks now like the better driver.
There is a lot more than meets the eye.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 04:56 (Ref:2334054)   #3
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Years gone by, Honda/BAR had Davidson and Button in the team and the systems were getting designed around them. Barrichello came in and those systems whose flaws werent getting shown by Button and Davidson were suddenly shown by Barrichello. Whether its Barrichello or someone who drives similarly, i think Honda can still benefit by having someone like that on the driving side.

The treatment Barrichello's getting IMO is unfair considering at his age, nobody but Honda surely would be interested in him, so its either a race seat next year with them or retirement. I think Honda couldve afforded to settle their drivers for next year along time ago. I'd like to see Barrichello continue for one more final year just so he can leave with some grace.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2334090)   #4
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The other aspect is that Jenson has basically given his career to Honda throughout a lot of bad times (with a tiny sprinkle of better).

Honda management will appreciate this aspect of things. Yes, there was the whole affair thingy, but it ended up being a cuffufle (sp?) because he wanted to come back to Honda.

I may be totally wide of the mark, but I suspect Jenson Button can drive for HondaF1 for as long as he desires.

Last edited by Dutton; 13 Nov 2008 at 08:07.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 09:58 (Ref:2334140)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I suspect Button is also on borrowed time.

If he shows form again next year, well as much as the car allows, he might be retained for longer. Question is can he really lead a team and develop a car properly? Or more to the point does he want to?
Old 13 Nov 2008, 12:23 (Ref:2334218)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well I'm sorry for Bruno Senna. I just hope I'm not wrong again about a Senna...
Old 13 Nov 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2334226)   #7
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Here is an interview where Jense gives a hint about his lack of form. I don't like the fact that he is starting to sound like some of the older drivers that blame the car and say that if he was in a better one he would be better than them. I know its likely to be true but, those are the kind of statements JV said before he was axed.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 15:43 (Ref:2334348)   #8
werner
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam, the Netherlands
werner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridwerner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we can see Rubens replace Piquet jr. after a few races. Both Brazilian, 1 unexperienced and untalented, 1 very experienced and pretty talented. One can hope...
Old 13 Nov 2008, 18:37 (Ref:2334453)   #9
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
If I was sorting drivers for Honda I'd go for Reubens over Button, retain Button as a race driver and if I had to have Senna I would employ him as a test and reserve driver, but I'd prefer Davidson.

This could be a huge mistake for Honda. If the car doesn't get sorted and they have dropped RB the axe may fall on Button.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 18:52 (Ref:2334461)   #10
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was talk that, the problem with Rubens is that he has a differing driving style to Jenson

And Jenson have put so much faith in Honda, they would be likely to prefer him.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2334504)   #11
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Rubens was poor when he first joined Honda, but I've been impressed with him this year, keeping Jenson on his toes.

I rate Bruno Senna, because I think he has a raw talent that shows itself despite his extreme lack of racing experience (not doing karting at a high level for the years that most his peers would have done is a huge disadvantage).
Old 13 Nov 2008, 21:19 (Ref:2334552)   #12
Satorian
Veteran

European Union
Satorian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer
Rubens was poor when he first joined Honda, but I've been impressed with him this year, keeping Jenson on his toes.
Wasn't it back then that the traction control was completely different from what he was used to from Ferrari? I think as soon as that issue was sorted, his performance improved.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 01:49 (Ref:2334635)   #13
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When he joined, the TC, brakes and engine braking were all completely different. Of course now only the brakes are relevant, which is what Honda have been concentrating on this year.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 03:02 (Ref:2334641)   #14
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
Considering what Honda has invested in JB he better be able to help develop the car. Alonso is able to do it. He does not even seem to need much help. If Jense is to be taken seriously he needs that ability too. I am not sure how much more RB can really contribute that JB cant. At Ferrari we know that he was valuable but it was mostly to make sure MS won, not for him to win.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga
This could be a huge mistake for Honda. If the car doesn't get sorted and they have dropped RB the axe may fall on Button.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 05:23 (Ref:2334670)   #15
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is the whole Bruno Senna driving for Honda confirmed?

I'd hate to see Rubens go, he's probably the nicest guy on the grid, but he's getting on.

Since I wasn't old enough to watch Ayrton Senna racing, (Bugger!) I'd love to see the Senna name in F1 again with Bruno proving himself with a big team that has a lot of catching up to do results and speed wise.
Old 14 Nov 2008, 06:59 (Ref:2334695)   #16
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the move would be good for Honda. If you have to chuck one of the current drivers i think it would be RB because he's got a season at most left in him.
A young charger would do the team good, and give Button a wake up call.
i think the Glock effect at Toyota has someting to do with their impressive end to the season (apart from the last lap of the last race).
Old 14 Nov 2008, 19:19 (Ref:2335000)   #17
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe need to merge this with the "please retire Rubens" as most points are covered there
Old 14 Nov 2008, 21:35 (Ref:2335063)   #18
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
A young charger would do the team good, and give Button a wake up call.
Does Button need a wake-up call though? I thought it was just that the car was crap.
Old 15 Nov 2008, 17:59 (Ref:2335378)   #19
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I am sure its more an issue of the car. Ross even said so; though he could be justifying keeping him over RB.

Either way, unless the car is worthy its difficult to judge the driver. RB is obviously better at driving a difficult car. With a good car Jense seems to have the better pace. Jensons style lends to a very well balanced car as opposed to RB's point and shoot style of driving, or so I've read.

Quote:
Does Button need a wake-up call though? I thought it was just that the car was crap.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 02:15 (Ref:2335555)   #20
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilap
Jensons style lends to a very well balanced car as opposed to RB's point and shoot style of driving, or so I've read.
I on the other hand have heard a lot of excuses for Bunsen! Wasn't the no TC rule supposed to greatly benefit him? Don't get me wrong, I like JB and think he's a pretty good driver, but really. Something's missing.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 10:36 (Ref:2335696)   #21
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Magnusson
I on the other hand have heard a lot of excuses for Bunsen! Wasn't the no TC rule supposed to greatly benefit him? Don't get me wrong, I like JB and think he's a pretty good driver, but really. Something's missing.
When a good driver spends a few years in a bad car, it can start to affect his motivation, his confidence & eventually his performance.

The same thing happened with Jacques Villeneuve at BAR. I just hope next year's Honda is competitive, so Button can rediscover his mojo.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 10:55 (Ref:2335711)   #22
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TilkeWannabe
Since I wasn't old enough to watch Ayrton Senna racing, (Bugger!) I'd love to see the Senna name in F1 again.
This is not aimed at you personally but to have the Senna name (or any 'name') in F1 again, simply because of the name makes no sense to me. Bruno Senna is not yet ready for an F1 drive and has a long way to go before he is ready.

If he wasn't called Senna, nobody would be looking at him for F1. And please, nobody argue back with the lame and predictable 'oh here we go, the "if he wasn't called Senna" argument again.' As far as I see it, this is precisely the reason why people are linking Bruno with a drive. I don't think hand on heart anyone could say truthfully that he is yet good enough. A year's testing and a third (which speaks for itself) season in GP2 is what he should do.

He is not yet good enough to displace any of the current F1 drivers and certainly not before some other drivers waiting in the wings like Ant Davidson & Taku Sato for example.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 15:52 (Ref:2335862)   #23
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz
(Bruno) is not yet good enough to displace any of the current F1 drivers and certainly not before some other drivers waiting in the wings like Ant Davidson & Taku Sato for example.
Agreed. Add Tonio Liuzzi and Franck Montagny to that list.
Old 16 Nov 2008, 17:49 (Ref:2335921)   #24
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think he does, he's at a stage in his career where he's established himself and bagged a win but having a crap car is an excuse to pootle around in a gp not doing much and maybe when he's given a decent car he'll have forgotten what its like to battle at the front.
Old 17 Nov 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2336413)   #25
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
I don't think JB has been pootling around. RB is genuinely quick and even Ross acknowledged that the changes made to the car favored RB. Now, if we take the points out of the equation we will see the drivers are very closely matched. The lucky third is what separates the two mostly.
If the car is good and he still looks ordinary then I say we should question his motivation.