Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 28 Sep 2005, 07:25 (Ref:1418543)   #1
RSportRacer
Racer

United Kingdom
Silverstone
RSportRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver U would like to see....

ok the team management have their own ideas who they'd like to race,be it personal, political or plain stupid choices!

For team GB i would love to see Rob Austin given a chance.
For team SA " " Alan VD Merve
For team BR " " Bruno Senna
For team IT " " Valentino ROSSI

if Rossi is thinking of a switch to cars after another World Champ then how bout a toe in the water drive for A1GP
Old 28 Sep 2005, 09:53 (Ref:1418685)   #2
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Motorsport News in Australia today flagged the possibility of Paul Tracy, Dan Wheldon and Tony Kanaan sniffing around for a potential steer in their respective countries cars over the next couple of months. For me this is one of the strengths on the A1 concept that blokes can float in and drive a few races when they can. Thoughts?
Old 28 Sep 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1418693)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Kanaan is set to do up to five races, I think. Although recent reports are that Emmo wants Jr to do more after his success. Wheldon has strongly linked in Autosport a couple of weeks back.

Who would I like?

Jeff Gordon. It would be fun.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 10:00 (Ref:1418695)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'd like to see bruno senna in an a1gp car too. i think his driving style will either really suit the cars or he'll have a string of magnificent accidents. both would be worth watching

big mac is right, it's absolutely a strength of the concept that different drivers can have a go, but sadly not likely in a lot of cases because of drivers daddys who own the franchises...
Old 28 Sep 2005, 10:12 (Ref:1418708)   #5
Big Mac
Racer

Big Mac should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Spot on bella. I fear that this is going to be the case with the Australian franchise. No disrespect to Christian Jones, he can certainly drive, but surely Will Davison could run rings around him when he gets the chance.

While I'm on Team Australian has there been any reports/talk about James Courtney have a go? He's one quick talent being wasted in Japanese GT's at the moment IMHO...
Old 28 Sep 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1418717)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i'm not sure will davison ever had the... mentalwhotnot to produce consistently fast drives. most of the time he was average over here, then once a season he'd be brilliant, and then carry on being average.

i've not seen anything about courtney, but do you think he'd *want* to change tack and go back to single seaters? he's probably making himself a nice packet in japan and it's not too far from home either..
Old 28 Sep 2005, 10:28 (Ref:1418726)   #7
Alienman_69
Rookie

Portugal
PoRtUgAl
Alienman_69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bruno Sena is to green for A1GP. And after Piquets display in the first ever A1GP race, dont see why would Brasil want any other driver in there specially a green one as B.Sena.
I think Austria desperatly needs a new driver, because if we gona talk about bad drivers with famous fathers, son of Lauda is the perefct example of zero talent.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 11:48 (Ref:1418837)   #8
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For Japan it has to be Sato. I reckon he is a more natural racer and all the technology doesn't match up with his driving style, he would walk Ryo any time.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1418840)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well it's a difficult one this good thread sir.

I wouldn't have piclked Halliday for a go, in the All Black's but what a driver!!!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1418872)   #10
Finn
Racer

Finn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
definatly Alan VD Merve for South Africa, that guy needs a break!!

On the britsh front, if Piquet drives like that all season then we need someone fast!!

Adam Carroll
Dan Weldon

Would also be nice to see one of the oldies have a go like Herbert or Hill, don't think it will happen tho..!
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:31 (Ref:1418886)   #11
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
wasn't it adam who dropped out of the team gb trial?
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:39 (Ref:1418894)   #12
Finn
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella

Not sure, think he's signed up buy BAR as test driver but would be a good way of keeping his skills over the winter if he did do A1.
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:49 (Ref:1418913)   #13
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Yes - see here
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:53 (Ref:1418917)   #14
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GBR - Darren Manning (both available and deserving)
BRZ - Tony Kanaan, but to be fair Piquet has been faultless so far
MEX - Rodolfo Lavin
FRA - Jean Alesi (just for fun)
JAP - Sato would be an excellent choice
IRL - why wasnt Ralph Firman driving??
IND - I can imagine Karthikaian will be free soon....
Old 28 Sep 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1418926)   #15
x_acto
Rookie

Portugal
Portugal
x_acto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would like to see Niki Lauda replacing is own son at the Team Austria, maybe the results become a little better...
Old 28 Sep 2005, 13:02 (Ref:1418927)   #16
Finn
Racer

Yeah forgot Manning, nice bloke deserves a good drive.

They also need to put there Flags as big as possible on the side of the car as it was a bit confusing on Sunday. Series has potential tho,

Better than watching East Ender repeats all Winter..........
Old 28 Sep 2005, 23:35 (Ref:1419487)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
i've not seen anything about courtney, but do you think he'd *want* to change tack and go back to single seaters? he's probably making himself a nice packet in japan and it's not too far from home either..
Rumour has him working on a Toyota-backed drive in the new Nippon series for next year - a run in A1 might be a good hit-out for him.

It's funny - I consider James one of Australia's best ever talents. At least as good as Briscoe, and maybe even Webber. Yet he never seems to be linked to Australian open wheel teams - in Champ Car or A1GP.

I don't understand it!!!

I would love to see Richard Lyons given a drive. I think it is a crime of motorsport that he and Courtney are totally forgotten about in Japan. Lyons is an excellent steerer.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 07:30 (Ref:1419627)   #18
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard on the local radio station that Scott Dixon was heading off to Germany to follow the NZ team and talk to team boss Bob McMurray. Might lead to something, though Halliday seemed to drive pretty well in the weekend.
Old 29 Sep 2005, 15:13 (Ref:1420075)   #19
RSportRacer
Racer

United Kingdom
Silverstone
RSportRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone know anyone who may be racing but not mentioned
for GB there is Lloyd and Kerr but have many others been mentioned in the role.

With regards Canada, would be good to see Spengler given a chance.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 00:45 (Ref:1421363)   #20
speedy2
Rookie

speedy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that a driver like Rob Austin should be given a chance, he is wasted in Ginetta's but still winning,

His career has stalled and Team GB, should give him a test, just to evaluate him, he went well last winter in a BCN Lola, which is similar to an A1 car.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 10:49 (Ref:1421519)   #21
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery
IRL - why wasnt Ralph Firman driving??
He had a prior commitment in Super GTs.

I'd like to see Schuey pedalling the Team Germany car somewhere - imagine what a bench-mark that would set for all the young guys. I could see Vale Rossi doing next year's A1, if he is serious about switching to car-racing, as it would be excellent experience.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 17:35 (Ref:1421704)   #22
jump
Rookie

England
West London
jump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe not yet but I would love to see Sam Bird in the English car if his rise through the ranks continues. Very quick driver and an old mate of mine from karting days.
Old 1 Oct 2005, 22:05 (Ref:1421819)   #23
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Looks like I'm getting my wish. Possibly PT, TK and Dan Wheldon all driving at some stage. http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_story.asp?id=138115

Anyone got any idea how true any of this is?
Old 2 Oct 2005, 10:26 (Ref:1421952)   #24
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GBR - Agree about Darren Manning + would add Lewis Hamilton. Is Richard Lyons Irish or Nthn Irish?
Australia - Courtenay and Briscoe
China - Marchy Lee and Ho Ping Tung
Canada - Andrew Ranger
Austria - Patrick Friesacher (will be an awkward day in the Lauda household when Niki fires his son but he would be doing him a favour)
France - Sebastian Bourdais, Franck Montagny and Jonathan Cochet
South Africa - Alan VDM.
Japan - Takuma Sato (assuming he is out of F1)
India - Narain Karthikeyan (seems pretty certain he is out of F1)
Germany - Timo Glock
Finland - Mika Salo and Heiki Kovalainen (OK I know there isn't a Finland team but would be nice...)
Rumoured Gulf team - Salman Al Khalifa and Hamid Al Fardan
Old 2 Oct 2005, 11:30 (Ref:1421972)   #25
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TK et al have stated that they would like to do it, which suggests they might given the oppertunity once the IRL season is over...

I reckon that Tony might pop in for Mexico as he's raced there before.

Briscoe would also be a great addition once his collar bones have healed.

And its sad in away that Finland don't have a national team, considering the quality drivers they have...