Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Oct 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1428435)   #1
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jump Start

Well i thought during the replays that Coulthard jumped the start. The Sydney Morning Herald has a quotes from Webber and Coulthard on the matter. What are others opinions.

The quotes are

Australian Mark Webber called on Formula One to monitor race starts more closely after accusing Red Bull's David Coulthard of jumping the gun at the Japanese Grand Prix.

"The biggest thing is they have to do something about people jumping starts," said the Williams driver, who finished fourth at Suzuka after starting seventh, alongside Coulthard in sixth.

"I mean Coulthard went two weeks early. It was like Ralf (Schumacher) in Brazil. With the technology we have, they have to do something.

"One thousand per cent, he went before the lights went out."

Coulthard was less than impressed with the charge.

"Go speak to the FIA," said the Scot. "There's a start system in place. As the lights started to change I went. It doesn't really matter what the drivers think."

Link

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Sport/Web...796408338.html
Old 9 Oct 2005, 14:47 (Ref:1428440)   #2
Captain Chaos
Rookie

Canada
Captain Chaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's my understanding that F1 cars have position sensors in the cars that would have detected any movement before the lights were extinguished.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 14:48 (Ref:1428442)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They do indeed.

Sounds like sour grapes from a slower-starting Webber.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 14:51 (Ref:1428450)   #4
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
K-B agree. But irony is that this was probably one of his better starts....
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:07 (Ref:1428467)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems like DC just reacted extremely quickly and got away well as a result. Webber and Coulthard have had a lot of confrontations this season, both on and off-track, but on this occasion I wonder if Webber should be looking more at his own technique, which we were always told was down to teh car until this year.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:14 (Ref:1428482)   #6
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber should have used his brain here, if RS or DC did jump the start then the computers would have detected it and they would have been pulled in. I don't think they did, nothing was heard again and no penalty was given.

It certainly is sounding like sour grapes from Webber.

Besides, everyone will seem to start quickly to him, seeing as the Williams seems so slow off the line!
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:21 (Ref:1428495)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
If these sensors can detect a car being put into gear, i'm sure they would have registed if DC actually jumped the start.

I expect it's easy to believe someone else went early if a drivers a split second slower to react.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:46 (Ref:1428517)   #8
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About the jump start thing, this isn't regarding this incident - but remember Sato's start at Monaco in 2004? They deemed it was illegal because he started before the normal human reaction time. He took the gamble to press the button and launch the car, and it worked out for him - unlikely but it did, but he gets given a penalty...how does that work?
"Although you didn't jump the start...you pretty much fluked it - drive through."

They aren't going to get Coulthard here for being too quick like Takuma are they?
...well no they aren't, but how is it logical?
Old 9 Oct 2005, 15:49 (Ref:1428522)   #9
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus

It certainly is sounding like sour grapes from Webber.

Besides, everyone will seem to start quickly to him, seeing as the Williams seems so slow off the line!
That is very true.

Sounds like Webber just wants to get in Coulthards face a bit after David has written and said a few things about Mark recently.

One of Marks strongest races and he beat David by a fair margin, I wouldn't be worrying about the start.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 16:08 (Ref:1428549)   #10
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by twig
About the jump start thing, this isn't regarding this incident - but remember Sato's start at Monaco in 2004? They deemed it was illegal because he started before the normal human reaction time. He took the gamble to press the button and launch the car, and it worked out for him - unlikely but it did, but he gets given a penalty...how does that work?
"Although you didn't jump the start...you pretty much fluked it - drive through."
Let me explain, apparently the starting lights producing some sort of electronic message. Teams would be able to configure into their ICU so that as soon as the light goes off, the car starts immediately, this means that the response time is much quicker than a human can response to. So basically, a driver has to wait until the lights go off, otherwise he's in for a jump start.

------

I had problems loading Live Timing today, and others seemed to as well, was this also the case on the pit wall? If so, maybe Live Timing wasn't the only thing that was down?

Klien did say that his start though good was kinda "sluggish". DC just had a hell of a start, but then that could just come down to experience - or a lot of Red Bull.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1428553)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It is really a bit of a shame that after what is probably his best (and it was a very fine one indeed) drive of the season, Mark should tarnish it by saying this, particularly in the light of the technology in place designed to prevent 'jumped' starts
Old 9 Oct 2005, 18:50 (Ref:1428705)   #12
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Webber is always winge-ing, its getting very tireing and boring now, about time he delivered on the track (and I WAS a big Weber fan). As John says, he went someway to doing this today, but then he has to become a Nigel Mansell again *

*= that must have narked off a good proportion of the forum now. Webber & Mansell fans
Old 9 Oct 2005, 18:52 (Ref:1428708)   #13
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_b
(and I WAS a big Weber fan)
Whilst I've never been a fan of his, Willi Weber is a great manager.

I agree about Webber whingeing. Shutup man, you've just put in a great drive! Don't taint your good work by whingeing over something that didn't happen!
Old 9 Oct 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1428724)   #14
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Hmmm... correct me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, the telemetry data from the start position transducers don't give an automatic "falce start" signal if a driver jumps the lights. I believe this is deliberately so in order to avoid previous problems of falce start penalties being made against cars for selecting first gear or having a slightly dragging clutch. As I understand it, it is up to the starter or another team to lodge a complaint against a driver for a falce start, in which case the data from its position sensor will be examined against the timing of the start lights, by experts, to decide if the car actually began proper forward movement before human reactions could have responded to the lights. If this proved to be the case a dirve-thru or stop-go would be called against the driver a few laps into the race. So did Williams lodge a complaint at the start? If not, then tough.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 19:13 (Ref:1428729)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Usually jump starts are under investigation immediately, regardless of any team protests.
Old 9 Oct 2005, 19:15 (Ref:1428731)   #16
dtype38
Race Official
Veteran

England
East London
dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!dtype38 has a real shot at the podium!
Is that automatic for every car on the grid, or just for cars suspected of a jump?
Old 9 Oct 2005, 19:23 (Ref:1428744)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Just for cars which either are suspected or trigger the jump start mechanism......this is then investigated for clarity.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 04:21 (Ref:1429060)   #18
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well, for those who were not sitting on the grid alongside Coulthard, you all have pretty firmly decided that Coulthard did not jump the start from your limited television viewpoints.

Webber is entitled to his opinion and was in a pretty good position to see. If he thought Ralf and/or DC jumped the start he is entitled to say so.

Yes, their are electronic devices in place to monitor jump starts, but are you going to tell me you have never had a problem with an electronic device!?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 08:00 (Ref:1429188)   #19
twig
Veteran

I watched the start video - and DC DEFINATELY moved before everyone else - maybe not illegally, but luckily.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 08:04 (Ref:1429192)   #20
twig
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh Ha
Let me explain, apparently the starting lights producing some sort of electronic message. Teams would be able to configure into their ICU so that as soon as the light goes off, the car starts immediately, this means that the response time is much quicker than a human can response to. So basically, a driver has to wait until the lights go off, otherwise he's in for a jump start.
Well, i know about that one - Renault used it apparently. Last year at Monaco, Sato's start was not about launching because of the well figured ICU, but because HE let go of the button in blind faith - it was unlikely to have worked out for him, either he moved before the lights, or he got a quick getaway.

He moved after the lights, got a quick getaway...but was penalised.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1429283)   #21
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

NO1SPECIAL has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Most people seem to be of the opinion that Coulthard did not jump the start or he would have been penalised, but Webber was right there so his opinion is certainly more worthy than most. I thought Coulthard's reply was interesting - he said he went when the lights "started to change." Unless he's got superhuman eyes I don't think he could have detected when they started to change - to human eyes a light is on and then it is off, the change is too fast to detect. His challenge to take it to the FIA almost sounds like a poker bluff too. Still, I could be wrong.
Lastly, I don't perceive Webber as a "moaner" like some on this forum have painted him - just a man who calls it how he sees it. Most people in the real world would call this an admirable trait.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:34 (Ref:1429389)   #22
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
I am trying to clarify the situation

So if the starters and officials did not notice the jump start, and nobody complains then nothing is done? Is this a correct assumption based on the fact there is no telemetry between the start lights and the cars. But if there is an investigation they can get the information from when the car started and the lights went out?
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1429409)   #23
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 903cc
I am trying to clarify the situation

So if the starters and officials did not notice the jump start, and nobody complains then nothing is done? Is this a correct assumption based on the fact there is no telemetry between the start lights and the cars. But if there is an investigation they can get the information from when the car started and the lights went out?
If Webber was so sure DC jumped, why didn't Williams complain to the FIA during the race? (or did they?)
Old 10 Oct 2005, 10:53 (Ref:1429423)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It was just a very good start, rather than a jump - or someone would have complained at the time.
Old 10 Oct 2005, 11:00 (Ref:1429431)   #25
NO1SPECIAL
Racer

NO1SPECIAL has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I dunno - is it william's job to complain? Is that the usual procedure? Can anyone (k-b?) say with certain knowledge how jump starts are usually picked up? And how they are proven or disproven? And why we really need telemetry - isn't video enough?
As to why Webber might not have complained during the race, perhaps he was just too busy racing.