Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 23 Jun 2010, 05:08 (Ref:2716703)   #1
schitarella
Rookie

schitarella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP2 new car? and new car costs?

Hi I know a new GP2 car will be coming next year for use in both the GP2 Asia series and GP2 main series. Does anyone have new car specification and what is the price per car of the new car versus the old car?
Old 23 Jun 2010, 08:37 (Ref:2716742)   #2
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I would imagine the HRT F1 car may share certain features
Old 23 Jun 2010, 09:49 (Ref:2716762)   #3
Mach3
Rookie

Mach3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had forgotten about this actually - very interesting questions posed! Does anybody have any figures!? I'm assuming they have to try and push the costs down still, given the market etc., which is surely going to be a little compromised by bringing in the new car...look forward to seeing it though!

Courageous - certainly wouldn't bet against the car and HRT being comparable!
Old 24 Jun 2010, 14:52 (Ref:2717445)   #4
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitarella View Post
Hi I know a new GP2 car will be coming next year for use in both the GP2 Asia series and GP2 main series.
Aren't they going to use the GP2/08 for GP2 Asia?

I've also read that the new car will be closely related to the HRT car. I wish they'd just go back to using the GP2/05!
Old 24 Jun 2010, 17:05 (Ref:2717508)   #5
schitarella
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondownunder View Post
Aren't they going to use the GP2/08 for GP2 Asia?
negative sorry, the same car will be used in Asia and main for 2011 onwards (plus all same teams).

Not sure what will happen to current GP2 cars or if some series will try to race them elsewhere
Old 24 Jun 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2717517)   #6
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
negative sorry, the same car will be used in Asia and main for 2011 onwards
Thanks, I hadn't heard that. It's a shame, as I like seeing the old cars continue to race outside the main season - gives a bit of variety. Just hope with the new car they've reflected on why fans loved the GP2/05 so much, though I doubt it.
Old 24 Jun 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2717520)   #7
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
I see it's just been announced that Pirelli will use the new GP2 car as a test bed for their F1 tyres:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84710

Also,
Quote:
Pirelli will also supply GP2 tyres from 2011 to 2013.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 10:13 (Ref:2719759)   #8
dave not neil
Racer

England
dave not neil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have heard that it will go away from the current Hydraulic shift mechanism, (which is costly, tempremental and time consuming), and go over to an electronic shift, possibly something similar to the old Lola A1 style.

Also heard rumours of a Hewland box.
Old 29 Jun 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2719769)   #9
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave not neil View Post
Have heard that it will go away from the current Hydraulic shift mechanism, (which is costly, tempremental and time consuming), and go over to an electronic shift, possibly something similar to the old Lola A1 style.

Also heard rumours of a Hewland box.

It will be a Renault engine or not?
Old 29 Jun 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2719916)   #10
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

Quote:
Not sure what will happen to current GP2 cars or if some series will try to race them elsewhere
Well, a small group of Argentinian had a project to use old GP2 cars to create a local series in order to revitalize formula series in my country...
Old 1 Jul 2010, 18:14 (Ref:2720858)   #11
Rf1 Fan
Veteran

Rf1 Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP2 teams have given an enthusiastic welcome to the news that the series will race on Formula 1 tyres for the first time next season when Pirelli takes over as supplier.

Under the new three-year deal, GP2 will run its entire season on one of the harder compounds being prepared for F1. Up to this point, it has used a bespoke Bridgestone Potenza.

The change will also mark a switch to F1-style narrower front tyres, and will coincide with the introduction of the new-generation GP2/11 car.

It comes as part of an ongoing push by the series to retain as many links to F1 as possible - and iSport team boss Paul Jackson says it will make GP2 even more important for drivers trying to prepare for F1.

"The change will keep the relevance for the drivers coming out of here into F1," Jackson told this week's AUTOSPORT magazine.

"They're used to the tyre, which is a big factor. So I think it will be a really good situation."

Someone who had this week issue of Autosport can tell what are the news about GP2 for 2011?
Old 6 Jul 2010, 11:01 (Ref:2722533)   #12
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
First picture of the new GP2/11 car:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/85014

No surprises really...

Quote:
The aerodynamic package of the car has been completely overhauled to bring it more into line with the current generation of Formula 1 cars.
Why, why, why?

Anyone other than the casual F1 fan knows that F1 is the worst example of single seater "racing" you could possibly use for inspiration. Perhaps Bernie has got sick of GP2 upstaging F1 for entertainment...

How I miss the days of a non-spec F2 or F3000.
Old 6 Jul 2010, 16:28 (Ref:2722664)   #13
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Damn, that car is so ugly!!! Why??? FIA and Bernie are drawing casual fans out of open-wheel racing with these monstruosoties. I hope that the new IndyCar looks good.
Old 6 Jul 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2722735)   #14
tux1234
Racer

tux1234 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am worried that with this car moving to f1 aero we will lose the ability to overtake.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 10:18 (Ref:2722971)   #15
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
That image of the car in the link looks more like the original A1GP chassis, and that wasn't at all pretty.

Well we'll just have to see how things go when the things get on track. I guess we'll get an reasonable idea how close they can run together in testing later in the year?

Totally uneccessary to bring out a new car though, why bother making them look like F1, everyone already knows what F1 is, so feeder series are better off being distinctive???

Unless of course GP2 ends up becoming F1, then the changes would make perfect sense.
Old 7 Jul 2010, 13:40 (Ref:2723042)   #16
Belatti
Racer

Argentina
Argentina
Belatti should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is an HRT F1 car with the Renault lump
Old 7 Jul 2010, 13:44 (Ref:2723043)   #17
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yep, can't look at that picture more than once, it made my eyes bleed. UGH!!! and it's not even forward thinking innovative, it's just plain hideous. worse than the new formula renault 2.0 chassis, at least that has one or two redeeming features
Old 10 Jul 2010, 10:12 (Ref:2724344)   #18
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The GP2 cars go from beautiful, worse to ugly
Old 10 Jul 2010, 10:22 (Ref:2724351)   #19
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Gp2/07 was the perfect car for single seater racing. It looked great and raced great.

The collective idiocy of F1 and its circus is astounding.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 12 Jul 2010, 21:35 (Ref:2725741)   #20
Vintage Aston
Rookie

Ireland
Vintage Aston should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
negative sorry, the same car will be used in Asia and main for 2011 onwards (plus all same teams).

The current GP2/08 cars will be upgraded to become GP2/11 cars, therefore there aren't actually any NEW cars coming for next season. The reason they state is 'to keep costs down'. So doubt we'll see any GP2/08s elsewhere. Still think they will run at around 1.6m euros a season. You think they'd be smart and bring in non spec engine's at least!
Old 13 Jul 2010, 21:23 (Ref:2726300)   #21
medler
Racer

medler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Aston View Post
The current GP2/08 cars will be upgraded to become GP2/11 cars, therefore there aren't actually any NEW cars coming for next season. The reason they state is 'to keep costs down'. So doubt we'll see any GP2/08s elsewhere. Still think they will run at around 1.6m euros a season. You think they'd be smart and bring in non spec engine's at least!
I think there will be new cars as they are planning to deliver the new cars whilst the old car is being shipped to Abu Dhabi for the last round of the main series and end of year tests, they are then planning to ship the new car out there for the Asian series.

However I believe the teams can get old tubs modified to the new spec, so many will have a spare tub or 2.
Old 13 Jul 2010, 21:42 (Ref:2726313)   #22
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the top teams like Art, dams etc will get 2 new tubs for the new car and then get their current upgraded to new spec and use them for Asia/spares. After watching the gp3 race at Silverstone i hope this car can provide us with racing like that, but i am sceptical.
Old 15 Sep 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2759663)   #23
schitarella
Rookie

out of interest does anyone know the costs to teams for the brand new car vs the costs to upgrade a current spec car to a new spec car?

Can anyone remember how much the last two generations of GP2 cars costs new (just to compare)?

Old 16 Sep 2010, 11:46 (Ref:2760297)   #24
ivanalesi
Veteran

Bulgaria
ivanalesi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
195k EU costs the old car(08), but I dunno much about the parts. I guess the new one will cost about the same, if not exactly the same, but it all depends on price of parts & how durable they are.
I was reading the other day an old interview from Sergio Rinland after the '05 season. He says the car is great, Dallara have done a good job as expected, but GP2 have chosen some strange suppliers namely for engine & gearbox. I suspect it will be the same again...
Old 16 Sep 2010, 16:37 (Ref:2760433)   #25
schitarella
Rookie

thanks,,, any info on when the new teams list is be released? It was meant to be some time ago but still have no news???