Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 20 Sep 2013, 21:01 (Ref:3306785)   #351
ACFlinn
Racer

ACFlinn is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMan View Post
It's out it's out it's out!

2014 Tudor United SportsCar Championship

Jan. 25-26 – Rolex 24 at Daytona
March 15 – Twelve Hours of Sebring
April 12 – Long Beach (Prototype and GTLM only)
May 4 – Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
May 31 – Detroit Belle Isle (P, PC and GTD only)
June 29 – Six Hours of The Glen
July 13 – Canadian Tire Motorsport Park
July 25 – Indianapolis Motor Speedway
August 10 – Road America
August 24 – Virginia International Raceway
September 20 – Circuit of The Americas
October 4 – Petit Le Mans

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/uscc/20...dule-released/

No Kansas! My faith in these people has been slightly restored. Nice to see the VIR date, which coincidentally falls on my birthday. I guess I know what I'll be doing next August 24th.
Was there ever any doubt? Fact is, Kansas was never going to be on the USCC schedule.

Perhaps the doubters, critics and naysayers can take this as a sign that they can have confidence that the unification is headed in the right direction.

Nice schedule. However, there are a few tracks I'd trade for Mid-Ohio.

Andy Flinn
Old 20 Sep 2013, 21:10 (Ref:3306789)   #352
ACFlinn
Racer

Separate prototype and GT races won't be an issue. If the IMSA Camel GT and Grand-Am series were able to schedule them successfully, it shouldn't be a problem for the USCC.

That's probably how Lime Rock and Barber will make their way onto the USCC schedule in 2015.

Andy Flinn
Old 20 Sep 2013, 21:13 (Ref:3306793)   #353
BrentJackson
Racer

Canada
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
BrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBrentJackson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kober View Post
Oh, yes! I'll be there.
Me, too. Who's buying the beer?
Old 20 Sep 2013, 21:27 (Ref:3306799)   #354
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACFlinn View Post
Separate prototype and GT races won't be an issue. If the IMSA Camel GT and Grand-Am series were able to schedule them successfully, it shouldn't be a problem for the USCC.

That's probably how Lime Rock and Barber will make their way onto the USCC schedule in 2015.

Andy Flinn
I highly doubt we will see any additional tracks added to the schedule for awhile. I suspect when the contract runs out with VIR it may be replaced with something else.

L.P.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 21:36 (Ref:3306802)   #355
ACFlinn
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
I highly doubt we will see any additional tracks added to the schedule for awhile. I suspect when the contract runs out with VIR it may be replaced with something else.

L.P.
Sadly, you're probably right. Although, at one point (1983) IMSA had 17 Camel GT events at 14 different circuits.

Sonoma and PIR are two more places that should be on the schedule - if only the local support/promotion could make it work.

Too many quality road racing circuits is not the worst problem sports car racing could have.

Andy Flinn
Old 20 Sep 2013, 22:03 (Ref:3306815)   #356
schmidder
Racer

United States
Folsom, CA
schmidder should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just glad to see this out, looks great to me and happy to see Laguna Seca make it..
Old 20 Sep 2013, 22:07 (Ref:3306821)   #357
BullMan
Veteran

BullMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like COTA will be a combined event with WEC again next year.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 22:13 (Ref:3306823)   #358
Accident
Veteran

Accident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAccident should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have liked it if the GTLM cars ran Detroit, but given the placement on the calendar I'm not surprised they aren't.

Would like to see Barber return, maybe as a GT only race. Would second Sonoma and PIR, but I'm not optimistic about their return. A PIR race would mean I might actually be able to go to a race... never been to a sportscar/road race before as PIR is the only track within reasonable traveling distance for me.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 22:29 (Ref:3306834)   #359
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How do people think the schedule meshes in with Le Mans?

Obviously there's the Belle Isle round clashing with test day. Then Watkins Glen on June 29 - just under two weeks after the race.

Certainly not making it an easy choice for teams that want to go.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 22:51 (Ref:3306844)   #360
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post

Obviously there's the Belle Isle round clashing with test day. Then Watkins Glen on June 29 - just under two weeks after the race.

I don't see anyone besides Corvette and Viper going from this series. Dempsey might go back, but that would probably be with Proton or another Euro team.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 22:59 (Ref:3306847)   #361
fanta4
Racer

United States
AKA fanta
fanta4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Looks like the answer to the Belle Isle clash was to not schedule GT to run that weekend at all.

May 31: Detroit Belle Isle … Also a companion street-race event to IndyCar. … Will feature the Prototype, Prototype Challenge and GT Daytona classes.

I think the schedule is pretty ridiculous and rather confusing. This is how it shakes down...

(Bold denotes full grid w/ all 4 classes)

1. Jan 25-26: Daytona - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
2. March 15: Sebring - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
3. April 12: Long Beach - Prototype, GTLM
4. May 4: Laguna Seca - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
5. May 31: Belle Isle - Prototype, PC, GTD
6. June 29: Watkins Glen - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
7. July 13: Mosport - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
8. July 25: IMS - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
9. Aug. 10: Road America - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
10. Aug 24: VIR - GTLM, GTD - Separate race for PC
11. Sept 20: COTA - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
12. Oct 4: PLM - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD

“This is, without a doubt, the best sports car schedule in the history of North America,” said IMSA President and COO Scott Atherton.

With only 75% of the races fielding a complete grid, that quote is simply not true.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 23:28 (Ref:3306858)   #362
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I personally like the idea of having races during the Le Mans break. It gives the series a sense of continuity instead of huge gaps.

Stick an event in between Daytona and Sebring.
Bring back Mid-Ohio.
And stick Lime Rock (PC & GTD) in the Le Mans break.

If they do, this schedule would be near perfection.
Old 20 Sep 2013, 23:38 (Ref:3306862)   #363
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't really agree with plugging necessary gaps with races, but it does raise a good question regarding continuity.

Having mix-and-match classes will certainly affect that. It's good to give GTs a big showcase, but at the same time the casual viewer maybe thinks they're watching a different series.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 00:03 (Ref:3306872)   #364
Beetle
Veteran

United States
Texas
Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!Beetle is going for a new lap record!
Fantastic schedule!

Doomsayers REPENT.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 00:44 (Ref:3306888)   #365
The Happy Track Fan
Racer

Canada
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The Happy Track Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJackson View Post
Me, too. Who's buying the beer?
ME!!! That's who.

Popped the champagne cork tonight. Watkins Glen June 30th and Mosport July 13th.

Excited.

Reminds me of being a kid and looking forward to the U.S. and Canadian F1 races at Mosport and Watkins Glen only 1-2 weeks apart.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 00:52 (Ref:3306889)   #366
BullMan
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanta4 View Post
Looks like the answer to the Belle Isle clash was to not schedule GT to run that weekend at all.

May 31: Detroit Belle Isle … Also a companion street-race event to IndyCar. … Will feature the Prototype, Prototype Challenge and GT Daytona classes.

I think the schedule is pretty ridiculous and rather confusing. This is how it shakes down...

(Bold denotes full grid w/ all 4 classes)

1. Jan 25-26: Daytona - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
2. March 15: Sebring - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
3. April 12: Long Beach - Prototype, GTLM
4. May 4: Laguna Seca - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
5. May 31: Belle Isle - Prototype, PC, GTD
6. June 29: Watkins Glen - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
7. July 13: Mosport - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
8. July 25: IMS - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
9. Aug. 10: Road America - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
10. Aug 24: VIR - GTLM, GTD - Separate race for PC
11. Sept 20: COTA - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD
12. Oct 4: PLM - Prototype, PC, GTLM, GTD

“This is, without a doubt, the best sports car schedule in the history of North America,” said IMSA President and COO Scott Atherton.

With only 75% of the races fielding a complete grid, that quote is simply not true.
I'd like to hear some kind of explanation as to why the prototypes aren't going to show up to VIR.

Also, where are you going to go in Feb? It's cold and there aren't any suitable locations that have circuits not in Florida.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 01:22 (Ref:3306895)   #367
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I' sure that like the "Roar Before the 24" they will continue with a 2 day "Spring Training" test at Sebring in February. A race in February is just ridiculous.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 04:22 (Ref:3306928)   #368
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome! That's great news. Those split class races are some what disappointing and I understand,but I just don't get why no p cars at vir? Anways see y'all at laguna!
Old 21 Sep 2013, 07:19 (Ref:3306942)   #369
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
I think it really comes down to: One less race to pay for on an already considerably longer (read: more expensive) schedule.

I'd imagine that what is saved by not going to VIR will be equivalent to a significant chunk of the suppossed upgrade costs for the DPs.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 12:07 (Ref:3306991)   #370
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Looks like Bruno Senna is game for some USCC rounds next year. Hopefully that goes hand-in-hand with Aston putting a car into some of the marquee rounds:

http://www.racer.com/senna-looking-f...rticle/312786/
Old 21 Sep 2013, 12:28 (Ref:3306997)   #371
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Could have been a lot better, could have been much worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentJackson View Post
Sad to see Mid-Ohio and Barber and Lime Rock out for now, but let's hope things go well in 2014 and they get back into the series for 2015.
Unless teams find many more sponsors, I guess that it will be hard to bring Mid-Ohio and Lime Rock back without losing other circuits.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 12:32 (Ref:3306998)   #372
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Mid-Ohio statement:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Rust, Mid-Ohio president
While Mid-Ohio was disappointed to hear that we would not be part of the inaugural 2014 Tudor United Sportscar Championship Racing calendar, we will continue to speak with USCR leadership regarding opportunities to host the Championship Series as they look to expand their schedule in the future. We have a steep tradition of sports car racing and this past year had a wonderful partnership with Diamond Cellar – Ohio’s only retailer of Tudor watches – so we hope that our absence from the schedule is short lived. We wish the series great success in 2014 during its inaugural season!
Old 21 Sep 2013, 13:02 (Ref:3307005)   #373
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Clearly Mid-Ohio's failure to get with the new series acronym has cost them dearly.
Old 21 Sep 2013, 13:14 (Ref:3307011)   #374
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Clearly Mid-Ohio's failure to get with the new series acronym has cost them dearly.
Yes indeed!
Old 21 Sep 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3307012)   #375
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
That's a good schedule, if we could just replace VIR with Mid Ohio then it would be perfect (can focus on removing Detroit later!), but I'm sure that will be the goal in 2015.

Split races make good sense, 11 rounds for each is manageable, and I for one really look forward to seeing the GTs headline a round at last, as they should have been doing in ALMS for the last couple of years (in my opinion).

Step one taken, do we know what today's touted 'big announcement' will be?