Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 26 Oct 2015, 16:54 (Ref:3585759)   #526
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This race was hot garbage. The sound you hear is Nascar's ratings dropping not that Junior has been eliminated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
Nothing less than sheer lunacy that Kenseth is "eliminated" from the championship. Hasn't he had 5 wins or something? Nuts.
Correct, he has 5 wins. However, we can blame Kenseth for the whole chase format in the first place.
Old 26 Oct 2015, 18:03 (Ref:3585763)   #527
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
I say blame NASCAR for the Chase--it was Brian France's idea, after all. In '03, Matt had one win and won the title, and most of the guys far up the points standings that year had 1-2 wins each, while Ryan Newman won 8 races but had a horrible first third of the season (capped off by nasty wrecks at Daytona and Talladega) and Kurt Busch had 4-5 wins, but went down the crapper pretty much after Jimmy Spencer punched him in the nose at MIS.

But then again, we also have to remember that this season, Jimmie Johnson had 4 wins and got KO'd at Dover because of an oil leak, while Jeff Gordon only has 4-5 top 5s and is still in contention for the title.
Old 26 Oct 2015, 22:04 (Ref:3585803)   #528
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Outside of NASCAR and the media under contract to cover the races, I've yet to hear or read some stating "I love the Chase".
Old 26 Oct 2015, 23:24 (Ref:3585823)   #529
Razzzor
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Razzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazzzor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Without the chase it would just be a 2 horse race at the moment between harvick and logano, and that's not even very close. Everyone else would be too far back to catch up in 4 races. Who's going to tune in for that? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I will tune in to catch the last laps of the chase races though, and maybe I'll watch the entire final race.

http://www.jayski.com/news/pages/sto...e-2015#classic
Old 26 Oct 2015, 23:42 (Ref:3585828)   #530
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Each particular race should be worthy to win in of itself. It used to be that way.

If a championship was decided a couple races before hand there wasn't this kind of dumb whining we get today. It just meant that all the drivers went hell for leather to claim the final races, races which carried great prestige on their own merit.

It's a testament to the decline in the quality of the racing across the broad that we need to have a championship as a total substitute to compensate for increasingly pedestrian race events.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 00:37 (Ref:3585840)   #531
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post
Without the chase it would just be a 2 horse race at the moment between harvick and logano, and that's not even very close. Everyone else would be too far back to catch up in 4 races. Who's going to tune in for that? I sure as hell wouldn't.

I will tune in to catch the last laps of the chase races though, and maybe I'll watch the entire final race.

Sometimes that happens. And sometimes 1992 happens. If you just let things play out on their own, you will get the "game 7 moments" they are going after. They happen on their own, not when forced.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 01:54 (Ref:3585849)   #532
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzzor View Post

Tune in to the last laps of the Chase races and maybe watch the whole final race? Man, the Chase has you hooked.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 03:14 (Ref:3585864)   #533
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Tune in to the last laps of the Chase races and maybe watch the whole final race? Man, the Chase has you hooked.
It's almost as if the on-track product puts butts in the seats and faces glued to the TV than some gimmick that artificially keeps the championship close.

Nah, we're wrong. NASCAR knows what they are doing.

Seriously though, after this season, I'm gonna cut back a lot on the amount of races I'll watch. I'll watch the 500, the road courses, and some short tracks.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 09:25 (Ref:3585918)   #534
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Must say I haven't seen to many races this year, but that is because Ambrose isn't there.
Atleast with the chase, there will be 4 drivers having a shot at the title, most major categories will have 2 drivers/riders gunning for the title and that will usually be decided before the final race of the season - I am used to the chase now, 11/12 years on...
Old 27 Oct 2015, 10:50 (Ref:3585945)   #535
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
Seriously though, after this season, I'm gonna cut back a lot on the amount of races I'll watch. I'll watch the 500, the road courses, and some short tracks.
Pretty much me this year. I'll be sure to follow the new #24 driver next year
Quote:
If the Chase rules are the same, I'm afraid I'm out on this one early. I'll watch the Daytona 500, the road courses, Pocono, Bristol, the snow race in Atlanta, Richmond and maybe one or two others.
Speaking of next year, Atlanta is scheduled for February 28th. That's going to be fun to attend.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 10:59 (Ref:3585948)   #536
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick View Post
Must say I haven't seen to many races this year, but that is because Ambrose isn't there.
Atleast with the chase, there will be 4 drivers having a shot at the title, most major categories will have 2 drivers/riders gunning for the title and that will usually be decided before the final race of the season - I am used to the chase now, 11/12 years on...
There has been several times in the lower 2 series where the points shook out to have just as many if not more drivers in contention at the last race than the Chase provided.

I appreciate those who like more than one driver having the chance to take home the Cup, but the way the championship is decided is an absolute farce.

The series wasn't broken when the Chase was instituted. Seems broke now.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 14:54 (Ref:3585996)   #537
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Even the eliminations are wrong.

Hamlin was 2nd at Kansas and 4th at Charlotte. He got kicked out of the Chase.

Harvick got just one top 15. He's still in the Chase.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 15:22 (Ref:3586005)   #538
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They should pick the chasers out of a hat at the start of the season.

At least you can understand that process.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 15:33 (Ref:3586008)   #539
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Absolutely right. I was just about to say the same myself.

If a championship (other than Nascar style) is settled with a couple of rounds still to go then surely the best man has won. Isn't that what we want?

I am not particularly a fan of Kyle Busch but if, in a normal championship set-up, he had managed to finish the whole year in the top 15, despite missing a quarter of the season, most people would applaud a fantastic achievement. Now he has a chance to win a fabricated championship by winning at opportune moments.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 15:47 (Ref:3586009)   #540
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Speaking of next year, Atlanta is scheduled for February 28th. That's going to be fun to attend.
That week this year it struggled to get out of the 30's but did make it to 56 on the 28th. While it did not rain this year, historically this is the wettest week of the entire year in Atlanta. That took all of 5 minutes of internet research. Well done Nascar, well done.
Old 27 Oct 2015, 16:44 (Ref:3586017)   #541
canamman
Veteran

United States
canamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcanamman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHamilton View Post
That week this year it struggled to get out of the 30's but did make it to 56 on the 28th. While it did not rain this year, historically this is the wettest week of the entire year in Atlanta. That took all of 5 minutes of internet research. Well done Nascar, well done.

They got you covered if you go, but kinda doubt anyone from this forum
would bother.

From the AMS website:

"Along with reduced ticket prices, Atlanta Motor Speedway has introduced a "Perfect Race Weather Guarantee." The all-new policy offers fans options in the event that inclement weather prevents them from attending the race. If the daytime high temperature in Hampton, Georgia on Saturday or Sunday of race weekend fails to reach at least 50 degrees as observed by the National Weather Service, or if weather issues postpone the day's activities to a different day and fans are unable to attend on the rescheduled date, fans who do not enter the admission gates on the day the event is held will receive an account credit for the full price of their tickets. Credits can be applied to any future AMS event or events in 2016 or the 2017 NASCAR Weekend."
Old 27 Oct 2015, 18:00 (Ref:3586029)   #542
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Aim, pull both triggers...
Old 27 Oct 2015, 20:22 (Ref:3586050)   #543
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by canamman View Post
They got you covered if you go, but kinda doubt anyone from this forum
would bother.

From the AMS website:

"Along with reduced ticket prices, Atlanta Motor Speedway has introduced a "Perfect Race Weather Guarantee." The all-new policy offers fans options in the event that inclement weather prevents them from attending the race. If the daytime high temperature in Hampton, Georgia on Saturday or Sunday of race weekend fails to reach at least 50 degrees as observed by the National Weather Service, or if weather issues postpone the day's activities to a different day and fans are unable to attend on the rescheduled date, fans who do not enter the admission gates on the day the event is held will receive an account credit for the full price of their tickets. Credits can be applied to any future AMS event or events in 2016 or the 2017 NASCAR Weekend."
I think that's great, that they are willing to do that, but they shouldn't have to, and even in putting out such a statement means they're already in the hole on this one.

Granted, the attendance at tracks in the Southeast have struggled severely for sometime, but the scheduling of this race isn't helping anything. Maybe, just maybe, we'll get a nice warm late winter weekend, but it has also snowed in Atlanta during the month of April.

NASCAR has already rolled the dice.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 09:29 (Ref:3586352)   #544
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
A few comments from somebody was actually at Talladega:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
I do find it strange that Nascar decided to only have 1 attempt at a GWC, thought they would be well up for the drama of 3.
Apparently that was a one-off decision for Talladega because of the number of incidents on re-starts at restrictor-plate tracks. Spot the irony. . .

Quote:
This race was hot garbage. The sound you hear is Nascar's ratings dropping not that Junior has been eliminated.

Until the farce at the end it was a great race - a leading pack of a dozen or so cars within a second after the third round of pit stops is pretty close racing by any standards!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post

AND NASCAR SCREWED BIFFLE.
I don't see how you can say that. Biffle's team took a calculated risk that didn't pay off because of the length of time it took to clear up the oil slick from Allgaier's car. A good gamble. . . some you win, some you lose!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Farcical yellows thrown for virtually no reason to close up the field.
In all fairness that was not the case at Talladega - the only two yellows apart from the last one were because of oil on the track from blown engines.

What nobody here appears to have mentioned (if anybody has, I've missed it) is the allegations that Kevin Harvick deliberately caused the last pile-up. His engine was down on power, so on the first attempt at a green-white-chequer he pulled over to avoid blocking the cars behind him. Because the incident involving, if I remember correctly, Kyle Larson & Jimmy Johnson happened before the lead cars had crossed the start line it was deemed not to have actually been an attempt at a green-white-chequer as the yellow stayed out, so they went for it again. This time Harvick held his line, resulting in mayhem behind him as drivers took avoiding action.

After Kansas it's unlikely, I think, that Harvick would deliberately cause an incident that allowed Logano to win!

Taken as a race in its own right, apart from the unfortunate ending Talladega was, for me, one of the best of the half-dozen races I've been to.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 10:30 (Ref:3586360)   #545
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
I've read where drivers were accusing Harvick of such gamesmanship. Not sure how much I buy it, but it's certainly not out of the question.

I can see how one would enjoy the race up to the ending as it was a a clean plate race. Plate races generally have 1 or 2 disasters in the middle and one at the end. This one just ended very poorly but glad you enjoyed it, Dave.
Old 29 Oct 2015, 19:43 (Ref:3586471)   #546
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
I don't see how you can say that. Biffle's team took a calculated risk that didn't pay off because of the length of time it took to clear up the oil slick from Allgaier's car. A good gamble. . . some you win, some you lose!
It wasn't meant to me taken entirely serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
What nobody here appears to have mentioned (if anybody has, I've missed it) is the allegations that Kevin Harvick deliberately caused the last pile-up. His engine was down on power, so on the first attempt at a green-white-chequer he pulled over to avoid blocking the cars behind him. Because the incident involving, if I remember correctly, Kyle Larson & Jimmy Johnson happened before the lead cars had crossed the start line it was deemed not to have actually been an attempt at a green-white-chequer as the yellow stayed out, so they went for it again. This time Harvick held his line, resulting in mayhem behind him as drivers took avoiding action.
I don't quite understand why he decided to stay in line on the second attempt when he ducked out on the first attempt. His car clearly couldn't keep up. It's even more embarrassing that NASCAR decided to not do anything after the race.
Old 1 Nov 2015, 21:33 (Ref:3587270)   #547
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That awkward moment where Patrick and Gilliland show more fight than any of Nascars precious Chase babies.

Ahhh i spoke too soon, and in a big way.

Last edited by tux; 1 Nov 2015 at 21:58.
Old 1 Nov 2015, 21:49 (Ref:3587280)   #548
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Of course Matt gets revenge on Sliced Doosh when Joey's on my fantasy team. Can say Joey had had it coming for some time. I've never seen Matt do that!

Edit: Joey's daddy will take care of it!
Old 1 Nov 2015, 22:07 (Ref:3587294)   #549
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good hit that by Kenseth...
Go the Dinger with 37 to go...
Old 1 Nov 2015, 22:25 (Ref:3587299)   #550
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
I laughed, I cried