Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Feb 2001, 14:38 (Ref:62227)   #1
Sonatrap
Racer

Sonatrap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Can anybody share with me any tips they might have about going to the British G.P at Silverstone . In particular I`d appreciate any info in which are the best grandstands , seats etc.Can you get a good view just paying general Admission ? Is it worth buying a pass to getinto the inner circuit.

Cheers!
Old 3 Feb 2001, 20:44 (Ref:62300)   #2
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can get some very good views with general admission, e.g. in the stadium section, at Club where you can see around a 1/3rd of the circuit and at the start of the beckets complex where you are very close to the cars and get a great impression of their speed and direction changes. Unfortunatly, if you want the best seats you have to get to the banks early, (6 am ish), on raceday and to a certain extent on the Saturday.

Old 4 Feb 2001, 09:50 (Ref:62354)   #3
GURRYP
Racer

GURRYP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stay at home, watch it on the box. Then use the money you've saved to go to at least half a dozen other meetings.
Then you can go & see both a BOSS & TGP race, with hardly anyone else there & have a good look round the pits.

By the way if you do go the traffic getting into then out of Silverstone is appalling.
Old 4 Feb 2001, 14:15 (Ref:62384)   #4
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dont listen to Gurryp GO !

I went for the first time last year I stayed the whole weekend,I didnt hit one queue of traffic arriving or leaving if you leave it to the last minute and try to get in the morning of the race you are going to hit traffic guaranteed.
People started arriving from midnight onwards and as the the night went on the traffic got worse so arrive early or better still stay the weekend and it will give you an opportunity to find the best place to stand for yourself, as peoples opinions do differ.
Sure the best place to see most of the track is around the complex but it's not the most exciting place to stand,it's good if you want photograhs etc.
I liked it standing between Becketts and Chapel you got a real sense of the speed as they came through Maggots then Becketts as they drive towards you head on the grip looked amazing even in the wet, they looked like they were always going to fly off the circuit but stuck like they were on rails or something, but thats not all the noise and acceleration as they applied full throttle coming out of chapel is just amazing.It's got to be experienced to be appreciated.

Also dont over look Stowe, only one corner I know but the speed they arrive at is unbelievable and the possiblity of seeing a McLaren going round the outside of a Ferrari has to be worth it alone
But as I have said peoples opinions do differ
Just as they do to which motorsport event they prefer.
I went general Admission and managed to get into the center but I wouldnt pay for centre transfer its not worth it the only place you dont get to see with general asmission is the pits and the start/finish line
Old 5 Feb 2001, 11:26 (Ref:62562)   #5
Sonatrap
Racer

It all sounds like some kind of test that they have put together to allow fans to prove themselves.Arriving after midnight Anyway I want to hear the sounds and see the brakes glow, so I am going.
Billy where did you stay for the whole weekend?
A campsite? Anybody got any views on the grandstands
Old 5 Feb 2001, 16:01 (Ref:62620)   #6
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My advice is to avoid the queue from the Towchester traffic circle and ride a motor bike or bicycle to the race. I have no doubt plenty of motorcylists paid for more than their tickets by offering rides to the track.
Old 5 Feb 2001, 17:50 (Ref:62638)   #7
FEUsmart
Racer

FEUsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was virtually impossible to take your own vehicle this year, due to restrictions after last year's farce?

Or has that all changed again?
Old 5 Feb 2001, 19:53 (Ref:62672)   #8
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The vehicle situation has changed some what,on a first come first served basis they have allocated 18,000 spaces half what there was last year, I suspect that they have probably all gone by now, but it might be worth checking.
If I went for a grandstand seat it would have to be on the pit straight.
Accommodation I would recommend the windmill farm camp site it's about 200m from the gates to the north entrance you can just stumble too and from the circuit Just pray it doesn't rain all week again !
Old 5 Feb 2001, 20:06 (Ref:62680)   #9
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There are plenty of campsites, all basic but not as bad as they used to be. The best bit about camping this year is that you are exempt from the restrictions on cars, therefore you can still drive to the circuit. Also, if you turn up on thursday or Friday evening then the quees are barely worth mentioning.
Old 5 Feb 2001, 20:36 (Ref:62692)   #10
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I'd say go for it, but don't expect too much if you've been to watch other forms of racing live. One thing though - don't bother with a seat - no need - we had one last year opposite the pitlane, and I wish i'd saved the extra cash and taken in another 5 or 6 regular meetings with the difference Your best bet is to get general admission, then go on Friday and Saturday and spend your time wandering around and discovering the best place to stand.
Old 6 Feb 2001, 00:21 (Ref:62763)   #11
Sonatrap
Racer

This is all really helpful and excellent!

I live abroad ( in Colombia where at last everybody has gone F1 crazy thanks to Juan Pablo Montoya) and my brother ( who lives in England ) is sorting the tickets and travel plans out- so your tips are a much appreciated source of info to pass on to him .I've followed F1 on and off for years but haver been to a GP.
We can only make it for the race on Sunday so unfortunately won´t be able to follow some of your advice about avoiding traffic and using the 2 previous days to find the best spot.
A few more questions:
Given that we can make it on race day if we bought general admission tickets would we be able to find a decent place to watch the action from?...or perhaps the question is at what time would we have to arrive in order to be able to?
A question for Craig Antill: What was it about your Grandstand seats opposite the Pitlane that makes you conclude that they are not worth it ? What was the atmosphere like? and the view? Can you choose seat numbers and if so whereabouts would be best? Cheers!
Old 6 Feb 2001, 11:16 (Ref:62836)   #12
FEUsmart
Racer

FEUsmart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If it is your first GP and first visit to Silverstone, then a Grandstand garuntees that you will be able to see something! Take a look at the circuit map and pick a stand where you will be able to see one of the big screens if possible. You'll probably end up watching that more than the cars infront of you!

Also with a grandstand, you can leave your seat for more than three seconds during the day and know it will still be there for you when you come back!!

Personally I find it noisier in a grandstand, but if you've got a problem with the noise of an F1 car then you shouldn't be going anyway!! And if you do get a seat opposite the pitlane, take some binoculars!
Old 6 Feb 2001, 21:26 (Ref:62933)   #13
WoodyTJ
Veteran

WoodyTJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
WOW a trip to Silverstone ...... well I hope it blows you away with excitment. I love Formula One weekend - the best weekend on the motorsport calender.

This will be my 7th year at the Silverstone GP. I have only ever purchased general admission tickets but have to admit I always opt for getting there when the gates open at 5am just so I can get a good (ish) spot. Last year, and this year I have also purcashed a centre transfer ticket. Picking a spot near a big screen is good advice, but also DON'T forget your radio as the lads provide excellent coverage on Radio Silverstone!

I've sat on the outside of Stowe & Chapel and inside of Abbey. Hoping to go to the inside of Chapel this year. I'll try and did out some picture for you if you like just so you can see what its like!

He he he - got me all excited thinking about it now!