Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 30 Dec 2016, 08:02 (Ref:3699079)   #166
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
I really enjoyed reading Damon's book and am currently enjoying reading Johnny's. Of course the books are different, they're written by (and about) different people. Damon's is more serious, and Johnny is his usual cheeky chappy self. Both are quite harrowing and detailed in places, but are very interesting incites into their lives.
Old 2 Jan 2017, 17:56 (Ref:3699736)   #167
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Has anybody read Ross Brawn's book Total Competition, if is it worth getting?

Thanks for your help in anticipation.
Old 3 Jan 2017, 12:29 (Ref:3699909)   #168
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!VIVA GT has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
Has anybody read Ross Brawn's book Total Competition, if is it worth getting?

Thanks for your help in anticipation.
I'm working my way through it at the moment and finding it another interesting read. (Especially as I was able to pick up a copy for only 6.00 brand new!) Lots of behind the scenes information (but also, fo me, a bit too much philosophy...)
Old 6 Jan 2017, 10:12 (Ref:3700514)   #169
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!BertMk2 has a real shot at the podium!
Well I got the Johnny Herbert book and the Mark Webber book - not started either yet (finishing off the book I'm currently reading). Looking forward to both.
Old 6 Jan 2017, 10:15 (Ref:3700519)   #170
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
Well I got the Johnny Herbert book and the Mark Webber book - not started either yet (finishing off the book I'm currently reading). Looking forward to both.
I can strongly recommend both Bert, I enjoyed reading them anyway!
Old 6 Jan 2017, 19:51 (Ref:3700678)   #171
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One person I'd love to see write an Autobiography is Derek Warwick. He has so many stories to tell. Being a star in F3 and F2, his heroics in the Tolemann, disappointment at Renault, Senna's veto at Lotus, various accidents he walked away from, the tragic death of his brother, winning the WSC, his time in the BTCC, running 888 and his own Honda dealership, moving to the Isle of Wight, being a driver steward and now running the BRDC
Old 7 Jan 2017, 07:18 (Ref:3700753)   #172
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
One person I'd love to see write an Autobiography is Derek Warwick. He has so many stories to tell. Being a star in F3 and F2, his heroics in the Tolemann, disappointment at Renault, Senna's veto at Lotus, various accidents he walked away from, the tragic death of his brother, winning the WSC, his time in the BTCC, running 888 and his own Honda dealership, moving to the Isle of Wight, being a driver steward and now running the BRDC
Yes, that would make for an interesting read. A fighter and someone who's raced in a diverse number of categories, wasn't he also World Stock Car Champion once too?
Old 7 Jan 2017, 09:43 (Ref:3700770)   #173
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridS griffin should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Yes, that would make for an interesting read. A fighter and someone who's raced in a diverse number of categories, wasn't he also World Stock Car Champion once too?
Yes that's right, back in the 70s before he switched to single seaters
Old 10 Jan 2017, 13:30 (Ref:3701596)   #174
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!chunterer has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
There's a quite a few inaccuracies in Johnny's book which may well be the writer getting a few things muddle up but all the same it is a good read.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 06:38 (Ref:3701734)   #175
coppice
Racer

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Johnny's claim that , with Gachot and Hulkenberg, he was the only F1 driver to win Le Mans wasn't even nearly wrong.. ever hear of Rindt, G Hill , Gurney, Amon, Pescarolo etc, etc?

Sadly , it is a sloppily written book but still one which, with some rigorous sub editing , might just have been the book its subject deserved .
Old 11 Jan 2017, 08:32 (Ref:3701761)   #176
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Johnny's claim that , with Gachot and Hulkenberg, he was the only F1 driver to win Le Mans wasn't even nearly wrong.. ever hear of Rindt, G Hill , Gurney, Amon, Pescarolo etc, etc?

Sadly , it is a sloppily written book but still one which, with some rigorous sub editing , might just have been the book its subject deserved .
I read Johnny's book just after Christmas, and I thought his claim was that when he won Le Mans it was the only time a team of current F1 Drivers had won the race? Whereas the others you have mentioned would have had team mates who weren't current F1 drivers?
(As usual there are lies, damned lies and then statistics, but although tenuous, I think this is factually correct)
Old 11 Jan 2017, 14:08 (Ref:3701840)   #177
coppice
Racer

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Hmm.... Pescarolo /G Hill , Amon/McLaren/ Ickx/ Oliver or Gendebien /Phil Hill were all in F1
Old 11 Jan 2017, 14:38 (Ref:3701847)   #178
VIVA GT
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
Quote:
Originally Posted by coppice View Post
Hmm.... Pescarolo /G Hill , Amon/McLaren/ Ickx/ Oliver or Gendebien /Phil Hill were all in F1
But were they all at the time that they won Le Mans? As I said, my interpretation was that Johnny claimed they were the first team odfcurrent F1 drivers to win the race.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 16:48 (Ref:3701876)   #179
coppice
Racer

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
Yes .
Old 3 Feb 2017, 15:21 (Ref:3709074)   #180
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, I read Johnny's book last week and quite enjoyed it. Possibly because I always felt closer to him than many others, having been a member of Racing for Britain and having taken my wife to our first race meeting together at Brands on that fateful day in 1988 - even more fateful as I shunted my MGB on the way.... I didn't scrutinise the facts closely or check the history books - I just enjoyed what was an amusing if fairly lightweight read.