Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 2 May 2014, 20:47 (Ref:3400945)   #16
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A console

It's rightful home!!
Old 22 Nov 2014, 14:02 (Ref:3477554)   #17
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
At the moment I'm also searching out a new graphics card especially for this sim. It looks marvelous, the sounds the cars produce are spot on and I've never seen rain being done so convincing.

So I'm dusting off my G25 and getting ready. The game is allready downloaded.
Old 22 Nov 2014, 15:29 (Ref:3477570)   #18
Aysedasi
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Where from?
Old 22 Nov 2014, 15:32 (Ref:3477572)   #19
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its on Steam at the moment

For 40 quid, simply put a console price for a console game.

Looks pretty but try playing it,.

Wait for it on sale Ayes, it aint worth that money
Old 9 May 2015, 14:09 (Ref:3535822)   #20
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
The sim is just released and receiving quite good press.
Old 9 May 2015, 14:27 (Ref:3535830)   #21
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I have seen mixed reviews.

With the hype they have managed to generate it is clearly mainly designed for next gen consoles. A good idea as that market is far bigger and likely to spend on DLC.

The controls and FFB are quite complex to get right for a wheel I gather, and a few reports of them not being too good.

Also reports of AMD PC users having major issues and online being a bit messy.

But, they had to release it now, they already lost a few pre-orders with people getting fed up of postponements, another delay would have meant further losses.

Most reviews I have seen are saying it's not a pure sim, poor 3 monitor support etc.

All to me points to what is always was meant to be, a console game. Fair enough, especially of you have got thousands of people to BETA test it for you.

AND THEY ALL PAID TO DO IT!
Old 9 May 2015, 15:05 (Ref:3535841)   #22
pirenzo
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
For Autosport subs there's a little piece on Project C.A.R.S. on the website.

It sounds like they have concentrated on the racing aspects - full grids of cars, changeable weather, tire degradation, and lots of career options - rather than making it an ultra-realistic driving simulator.

It's not for me I don't think, even if I did have a next-gen console to play it on.
Old 9 May 2015, 15:17 (Ref:3535845)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
rFactor and Assetto Corsa are far better in terms of the driving experience. There are things to like in pCARS, but the way the cars handle, isn't really one of them.
Old 9 May 2015, 15:23 (Ref:3535848)   #24
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thing that will frustrate people is you really have to concentrate on actually driving the car rather than having fun. For myself personally i really like the graphics, depth and experience of the game but trying to drive with a controller rather than a wheel is very difficult. After the first hour of playing i was ready to trade the game in but with more practice and changing the settings for the controller its become easier and much more enjoyable. I dont think the game will appeal to the mass market just because of how difficult it is.

Stay away from the karts.
Old 9 May 2015, 17:43 (Ref:3535897)   #25
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
It is difficult for two reasons

One is that the people who developed it were largely sim gamers who use wheels.

The second is that instead of making it for a mass market they ahve tried to aappease both markets, something no game has EVER managed to do before.

Gran Turismo is a sim in name only, physics wise it is not, same as Shift, Grid.

I ahve not tried AC, but its precursor was a sim.

Simply put, it in eyes, if you can play it with a pad and get somewhere it's not a sim.

If using a wheel ADDS to the experience it's a sim.

I tried Grid with a wheel and it was awful, but to be fair F12013 was OK with a wheel.

PCARS is trying to be a mix of both, and that is a VERY hard thing to do, someone is always going to feel a little short changed.
Old 9 May 2015, 18:02 (Ref:3535903)   #26
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSodemo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep, I was fooled, I was one of the "investors" of this game. I do regret getting involved now, I feel like the original remit was used to pull people in, then the project morphed into something far more generic and mass market. All I wanted was a good sim, which is how it was initially sold, I couldn't care less about the return on the money.

Its funny when I look back to some of the earlier builds and look at what we have now, I just shake my head. Just really dumbed down. The Caterham R500 is a good example. When it was initially appeared it was a delight to drive. Understeered on corner entry, oversteered on the way out, but in a controllable, sliding manner. Now all of that is gone.

I was asked to do some "consulting" on the tracks. They spent weeks in the early stages getting the tracks correct which is why Spa looks pretty good, I poured hours into that track, then they decided it wasn't worth the time and effort, which is why you have Monza and Silverstone which appear the way they do, which is very inaccurate, look at the kerb width, the track camber, the undulations in the middle of Chapel?! Slap dash towards the end.

Really disappointed and I won't be getting involved for pCARS2 (which is already in the prepping stages).
Old 9 May 2015, 22:00 (Ref:3535983)   #27
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I am sure you will not be alone Sodemo

I was treated rather harshly by Mr Bell and his cronies, partly self induced but I did nothing more than make a few, albeit close to the bone criticisms of the early versions of the game with regard to FFB, feel and some of the early online areas.

And was then houded out of WMD, no grip, virtual r by his fleet of lieutenants!

I tried it again a long time later and was very complimentary on their site, and on other forums and was banned again.

It was things like this that made me wary.

I do think the game has a great idea, but from the very early stages it was an arcade game with sim intentions. That was always going to happen with a PC based community. And most of the bought into the idea and loved it, a very clever move my Bell to initiate loyalty I must say.
Old 9 May 2015, 23:11 (Ref:3535990)   #28
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Well we were sold a "full on simulation". What we got is anything but. Some of the cars handling is really laughable, almost canned spins etc.
Old 11 May 2015, 06:54 (Ref:3536351)   #29
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!Akrapovic is going for a new world record!
Bought this on the Xbox 1. DO NOT BUY THE CONSOLE VERSIONS.

I don't know how the PC one is, so I will not speak of it. But the console version is currently not playable. The joypad controls have major major bugs which make some cars completely undriveable.

Currently, going from lock to lock quickly will not work. If you are on left lock, then switch to the right too quickly, it continues on full left lock until you release the stick and let the car reset itself. Obviously by then it's too late to do anything as you've already had your accident.

The cars themselves are also too sensitive for a joypad. The reason is the car reaches full lock within 40% of the sticks travel. So before you're even turned half way, the car is already on full lock. There is also several other issues such as the Speed Sensitivity setting being reversed, and most control options not being explained. Being Sim racers, most of us understand deadzones and what not, but what on earth does "Control Input 1, 2 or 3" actually mean? I'm on a console - I can't open an ini to check this stuff.

What's worse is the community is busy telling people that it is a sim and meant to be hard. Meanwhile the dev team partly acknowledge the games flaws, but the community argues these flaws don't exist. The Xbox One patch is also broken, with gamers having to do hard reboots of the console for the patch to apply. SMS have now managed to make this game harder to play on a console than it is on a PC. I moved to console gaming because I no longer have time to play PC games to the max and need a more relaxed attitude, and this games actually harder to setup than Assetto Corsa was!

I grew up with GPL. Hot lapping the Ring trying to shave 0.1 off of my GPL Rank. I worked for Reiza Studios. I qualified for the iRacing Drivers World Championship. And now I'm being told by others that pCARS is a sim and the reason I can't drive it is because it's too realistic. In reality this game is completely broken on consoles.

I hope the PC version is better, but I do not hold my breath. Buy Assetto Corsa if you want a realistic driving experience. Buy Forza if you want an arcade (but slightly believable) one. Whilst this should be a bridge between both, it does not mean anything whilst you currently cannot play it.

For the first time ever, I'm seeking a refund for a game. Because it's a Digital Download it may not be possible. But I'm giving it a go.
Old 11 May 2015, 08:38 (Ref:3536376)   #30
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
That does surprise me Akra.

The noises I had heard were that the console version was actually OK. And that the controls had been dumbed down a little to appease that market, understandably as the market is far bigger and also less saturated right now with anything new.

The issues I have heard of are AMD graphics card issues, online connectivity, and the insane amount of fiddling you do coz SMS couldn't be bothered to give you a decent wheel profile, so they just leave you to do it yourself, and unless you know what you are doing, this is a matter of trial and error apparently.

The community are a weird bunch, I guess if you have invested in that community over years you are going to be loyal, a very clever trick by Mr Bell.

But loyalty breeds fanaticism, and that is all I have experienced.

I do feel that a less aggressive approach would have leaned fans to be more accepting of WMD, their approach was always so defensive, very aggressive in their defence, and this is not helping them now.

But a lot of people seem perfectly happy with it.