Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 13 Feb 2017, 23:44 (Ref:3711933)   #226
Alex Langheck
Racer

Alex Langheck should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In Monte Carlo there were comments from other teams that Citroen have designed a Touring car for the WRC; rather than a Rally car. It certainly looks a handful, and is giving the drivers no confidence at all. One fastest stage time after 2 events isn't great.

Saying that, the time to make a proper judgement is at the season end; but it could be a long year if they can't sort it out.
Old 14 Feb 2017, 01:01 (Ref:3711943)   #227
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Langheck View Post
In Monte Carlo there were comments from other teams that Citroen have designed a Touring car for the WRC; rather than a Rally car. It certainly looks a handful, and is giving the drivers no confidence at all. One fastest stage time after 2 events isn't great.

Saying that, the time to make a proper judgement is at the season end; but it could be a long year if they can't sort it out.
Perhaps Mr Loeb needs to take one for a burn thru the forests...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House
Old 14 Feb 2017, 03:32 (Ref:3711969)   #228
Hiro
Racer

Hiro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Congrats to Toyota. If Latvala hadn't joined Toyota early and brought what he earned with VW, the results would have been miserable.
Old 14 Feb 2017, 07:55 (Ref:3712013)   #229
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mr Loeb has achieved all he ever wanted to to in WRC and probably got very bored!

I think they have built a pup simply put. I doubt much can sort it out, unless there is an obvious problem, it might just be they have built a bad car for the first time in their life.

Shame for Meeke, but he will simply either drive for finishes or throw it away more than he does now. Breen is the one I feel sorry for.
Old 14 Feb 2017, 10:02 (Ref:3712050)   #230
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
Congrats to Toyota. If Latvala hadn't joined Toyota early and brought what he earned with VW, the results would have been miserable.
This is a good point - if Toyota didn't have Latvala would their results be as good? Seems unlikely - I think Haninens pace is more what we'd see from both cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Mr Loeb has achieved all he ever wanted to to in WRC and probably got very bored!
Loeb is off doing Dakar and WRX for Peugeot - it's not a huge leap to see him testing the Citroen but I don't see it happening. As you say he's really got nothing to prove by doing it and nothing to gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I think they have built a pup simply put. I doubt much can sort it out, unless there is an obvious problem, it might just be they have built a bad car for the first time in their life.

Shame for Meeke, but he will simply either drive for finishes or throw it away more than he does now. Breen is the one I feel sorry for.
It may be the case that as Alex says above Citroen have basically built a touring car - if it's brutally quick on the tarmac events later in the year that theory may well be proved. Certainly from the testing it looked like the Citroen was going to be the car to beat - they had the car out testing early and were pounding the miles in, it was a surprise to hear the drivers complaining about the car being so unsettled and the handling so bad.
Old 14 Feb 2017, 10:32 (Ref:3712060)   #231
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
crossfades should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Loeb said a while back that he would have tested for Citroen if he had been offered. He never was though ...

Seems odd that they complain about the car, they have tested it quite sometime like you say. This was a very tough rally but still. Looking forward to Mexico, will be exciting to see how things turn out there.
Old 14 Feb 2017, 11:34 (Ref:3712084)   #232
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Saw the highlights on C5 last night. Shame for Neuville, but congrats to Latvala, proving all that hard work they've prepared coming to bear fruit. Tommi Makinen was over the moon when interviewed. And Ogier proves he's not perfect
Old 14 Feb 2017, 11:38 (Ref:3712087)   #233
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't stop watching the clips from SS9, that sustained speed on snow seems unreal!

Decent highlight programme on Channel 5 last night and I watched all the shows on Red Bull TV over the weekend. It's still early days but, thus far, it really feels like the 2017 cars have been deserving of the year of hype we have had for them. I can't wait to see how things pan out when we get to tarmac.
Old 14 Feb 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3712198)   #234
tyronnezx
Racer

Sri Lanka
New Zealand
tyronnezx has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
I can't stop watching the clips from SS9, that sustained speed on snow seems unreal!

Decent highlight programme on Channel 5 last night and I watched all the shows on Red Bull TV over the weekend. It's still early days but, thus far, it really feels like the 2017 cars have been deserving of the year of hype we have had for them. I can't wait to see how things pan out when we get to tarmac.
where can i find these clips??
Old 14 Feb 2017, 22:03 (Ref:3712209)   #235
cg7aa
Veteran

cg7aa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
C'est pas possible, Thierry! Such a shame. Might he rue these chances going begging come season's end?

I can understand Hyundai's frustration but if you remove their 'star 'driver, who is going to do the winning for them consistently? Sordo might do something on a tarmac event or two and Hayden might grab a win on gravel (I would love him to as I'm a fan) but it seems neither have a grasp as yet on the new car like Neuvile.

I don't begrudge Jari and Toyota the win, well done them but I really wanted Ott to break his duck.
Old 14 Feb 2017, 22:05 (Ref:3712211)   #236
cg7aa
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronnezx View Post
I presume you're after the onboards? I can't help with that but for really enjoyable spectator footage, search youtube with something like 'WRC 2017 Rally [Insert rally of choice here] Pure sounds', sit back and enjoy the stunning HD clips.
Old 15 Feb 2017, 08:26 (Ref:3712325)   #237
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
THe real issue with WRC begins once the main racing season starts, and you have a lot of other things vying for attention, then people will often watch other things.

No matter how exciting the first few rounds are. Why not have WRC in the winter months, you can rally in Australia, NZ, Japan, China this time of year and still have decent weather, then Europe in our summer. More coverage, more captive audience.
Old 15 Feb 2017, 10:04 (Ref:3712351)   #238
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
tbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridtbtstt should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronnezx View Post
If you watch the "Day 2" coverage on Red Bull TV they are shown as part of that program.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 00:11 (Ref:3712953)   #239
cg7aa
Veteran

Given the stage cancellation in Sweden due to the 'high' speeds (who would have thought that allowing more power and downforce would mean they go quicker!), are going to see classic stages like Ouninpohja being broken up into multiple stages or modified with artificial chicanes?
Old 18 Feb 2017, 11:26 (Ref:3713004)   #240
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Well they should really do the calculations beforehand to see if the stages can handle it
Old 18 Feb 2017, 11:33 (Ref:3713005)   #241
tbtstt
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redhill, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by S griffin View Post
Well they should really do the calculations beforehand to see if the stages can handle it
That's really what the original comment was saying. Even the 2016 cars were running at over 80 MPH (average) on SS9 in Sweden, the organizers should have realized how fast it was going to be and taken measures to slow it down beforehand.

An awful lot of articles I have read relating to this story are using inflammatory headlines to get peoples attention: and giving them the wrong idea.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 12:28 (Ref:3713011)   #242
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
Tänak had an average speed of 137,8 km/h on Knon (a couple of km from where I live actually, they drove right by my house on the way to the stage). The record at Ouninpohja is 136 km/h, which also was the record on a stage before Knon. Makes me wonder how the rallies in Poland and Finland are going to be

On average Rally Sweden does not have the same high speeds as those rallies. The roads where I live are very fast and not that technical for the most part. Knon is truly an exception from the rest of the rally.
Old 18 Feb 2017, 22:15 (Ref:3713056)   #243
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
https://motorsport.com/wrc/news/fia-...speeds-874175/

After adopting bigger engines, wings and tyres, now FIA says that cars are going too fast.

Old 19 Feb 2017, 00:17 (Ref:3713068)   #244
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So once again they are trying to kill it... And they only look for average speed numbers even if high speed straights are the safest in the world...
Old 20 Feb 2017, 20:21 (Ref:3713509)   #245
S griffin
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1975DCS View Post
So once again they are trying to kill it... And they only look for average speed numbers even if high speed straights are the safest in the world...

Is there such a thing as a straight in off road rallying though? Don't forget they've also got big jumps where things can go wrong, with scenery either side. But I do agree there's a lot of irony in the FIA making them faster, then the stages being slowed so we don't get see them in their glory. Tail wagging the dog
Old 2 Mar 2017, 21:10 (Ref:3715927)   #246
cg7aa
Veteran

Old news.

This one passed me by but I only learned recently that the reason we didn't see and won't see any privateer 2017 spec VW Polo WRC cars is because they were not homologated before the end of year deadline and the FIA rejected the subsequent application for a homologation waiver so that a privateer team (presumably with very deep pockets indeed) could run the cars.
Old 2 Mar 2017, 21:47 (Ref:3715939)   #247
1975DCS
Veteran

Netherlands
1975DCS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hate those stupid homologation rules! I can understand things have to be according to the rules, but those homologation rules, really bug me
Old 2 Mar 2017, 22:08 (Ref:3715944)   #248
crossfades
Veteran

Sweden
FIA would have let the VW's compete if the other manufactures had said yes. Because of different reasons though there was not a united yes and so the VW was not allowed.

Prokop and Red Bull were on the brink to run the cars and have Ogier in one of them. But then Qatar got involved and so everything got delayed until it was no longer possible. Mikkelsen also had a plan with Erik Veiby and Even Management after Prokop/Red Bull and Qatar to run one car privately.
Old 4 Mar 2017, 23:59 (Ref:3716522)   #249
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
I hate homologations. If a team brings a car that is within the rules, then it should be allowed.

Rally homologations have killed national championship in several countries.
Old 5 Mar 2017, 15:56 (Ref:3716685)   #250
S griffin
Veteran

And it's a big shame that Mikkelsen is stuck in WRC2 when he could have, if the rules let him, ran a private VW in the top class