Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Nov 2016, 14:21 (Ref:3691144)   #16
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
If things turn out as Horner plans, the Red Bull drivers can turn from Lewis' best friends to his worst enemies in the blink of an eye.
True, it's a risk. But there's no point in just driving off into the distance and leaving Rosberg in a comfortable second. Whatever the drivers say in interviews, this race is completely secondary to the championship.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 14:21 (Ref:3691145)   #17
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Another question mark is: what does Mercedes want?

All season long, they have been trying to get the maximum result for the team: i.e. a one-two finish, with very little interest in who finishes first or second.

Do they want to go of the season on a high (with the best possible team result) or have they decided to not care for this race?
Unfortunately for Lewis, the best team result is noncompliant with his ambition.

Generally, Mercedes has stopped the leading car first. There have been a few exceptions where the second car stopped first, to get it back up to 2nd position, but never to get the 2nd car past the leader.

Would they stop Rosberg first if - let's say - he is running 4th to enable him to get (back) up to 3rd or 2nd?

Would Mercedes happily accept a 1-4 or would they try to make it a 1-2 by being clever with strategies?
Old 26 Nov 2016, 14:39 (Ref:3691149)   #18
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's a fair point, Gert.

Generally Mercedes have been most interested in the overall team result, and that's the way it should be. The overall team management should be working towards that objective.

That doesn't stop the parts of the team dedicated to each driver (their race engineers in particular) working towards the best result for "their" driver.

So IF Hamilton does succeed in pushing Rosberg back into the following pack, and IF one or two cars get past Rosberg, it would be perfectly reasonable for the overall management to apply a strategy to try to get Rosberg back up to second, IF they could. Lots of "ifs" in there, and as we all know IF is F1 backwards.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 15:41 (Ref:3691168)   #19
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!FIRE has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
Lewis once again demonstrates his superiority over his teammate ..
Let's be honest Lewis is the better driver.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 16:26 (Ref:3691185)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!chillibowl is going for a new world record!
But struggles with his starts...given all the talk about F1 not being about driver skill it's fitting that tomorrow may just come down to the one aspect of race craft where the driver is alone in their car.

Good stuff!
Old 26 Nov 2016, 16:35 (Ref:3691189)   #21
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
gert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgert should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
I am more a Rosberg fan than a Hamilton fan, but I think that is true.
Not at all tracks, and not in all circumstances, and not by a big margin; but on average, Hamilton is the better of the 2.

But that makes me even wish more that Rosberg wins the title tomorrow
Old 26 Nov 2016, 19:14 (Ref:3691226)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!
Excellent intro as ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikestow View Post
It all bodes well for an Excellent Race,especially with Vettel and Vestapen next to each other!!!Light relief seeing it all live on Channel 4 with a much better Team than the old bygones at Sky!!!Hope Channel 4 can do more live next season,but their Highlights are good enough for me!!
It does bode well for an excellent race but many times the race has become a processional snooze fest.

I would like to see Nico win it. I'm not a Nico or Lewis fan. I outgrew favourite drivers years ago. I just think it would be good for the sport to have a different champion, especially as Lewis won it so convincingly last season and because of the current issues facing F1, F1 needs a pick me up. There's also the added bonus that Nico could be the second WDC to emulate their father, after Damon Hill and Graham Hill.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 26 Nov 2016 at 19:41.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 19:55 (Ref:3691238)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i think i want to see lewis win the race, but for nico to take the championship because he's really earnt it this season. they both have, but nico has been just that bit more... something.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 20:57 (Ref:3691248)   #24
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I outgrew favourite drivers years ago.
Actually, sometimes I wish I could do that too. I think I would enjoy the races more if I didn't care about any driver/team/car.

Most of the times I just like drivers for some kind of emotional reason:
* I met Damon Hill at the Belgian airport when he was still racing in F3000 (1991 I think), and had a bit of chat with him. Not too difficult to root for him when he later makes it to F1.
* I usually go to the WorldSeries races in Spa with my brother and his 2 sons. We try to get there on Friday because we can hang around in the paddock and see the cars and the people working on them. If we are lucky we can take some nice pictures. Team personnel seems to be pretty relaxed then, and there aren't too many people around.
One year (2014) we were walking around, taking pictures and watching the men at work when Carlos Sainz notices us. He approaches us, and offers us to make some pictures of him and the kids (11 y.o), and the car. When done, he tells us to wait and he goes to fetch them a Red Bull cap.
It's not hard to imagine the kids (and me and my brother) want to see him do well, is it?
We were all happy when Carlos put it on pole twice and won both races that weekend.
* As for Nico Rosberg. Well, his dad was my hero when I was 7 (in 1982). I don't know exactly why anymore, but fact is I had a huge poster of him in my bedroom.
Funnily enough, I think Lewis' style would be much closer to Keke's than Nico, but hey, he's my childhood hero's son
Old 26 Nov 2016, 21:10 (Ref:3691251)   #25
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
i think i want to see lewis win the race, but for nico to take the championship because he's really earnt it this season. they both have, but nico has been just that bit more... something.
I'll not make myself popular for saying this, but if Nico wins it will be nearly as underwhelming as when his Dad won his championship. In these days of super-reliability, Lewis' engine failure from the lead has boosted Nico to a (possibly) winning score. Back in 1982 Keke only won one race but he had far fewer retirements than the competition. Still he only just beat Didier Pironi who missed the last 5 of 16 races due to injury.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 21:21 (Ref:3691252)   #26
gert
Veteran

Belgium
Antwerp
I don't agree it would be underwhelming. An engine failure is a pretty dramatic and obvious failure. Apart from that, there may have been a lot of unknown (to the general public) small failures/inconveniences that were far less dramatic and not race-ending, but may have cost may points - for either driver.

I think you don't become a champion by luck alone. Especially not in these days of super-reliability.

At this moment both have 9 times. Not all of these 9 wins have come from luck alone. And that's equally true for Lewis' 9 wins.
Nico qualified in the top 2 for every single event, and assuming Lewis wins tomorrow he has just a single race wins less than Lewis, so he must have done something right?

I can't call that underwhelming.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 21:25 (Ref:3691253)   #27
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
Veteran

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!bjohnsonsmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
I'll not make myself popular for saying this, but if Nico wins it will be nearly as underwhelming as when his Dad won his championship. In these days of super-reliability, Lewis' engine failure from the lead has boosted Nico to a (possibly) winning score. Back in 1982 Keke only won one race but he had far fewer retirements than the competition. Still he only just beat Didier Pironi who missed the last 5 of 16 races due to injury.
I think Lewis's winning it last year was pretty underwhelming, as far as racing competition went. Despite Nico winning the last three races of the season, Lewis won it by 59 points and won 10 out of 19 races. It was very one sided and no one could touch him.
Old 26 Nov 2016, 22:53 (Ref:3691276)   #28
Alan52
Veteran

Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gert View Post
I don't agree it would be underwhelming. An engine failure is a pretty dramatic and obvious failure. Apart from that, there may have been a lot of unknown (to the general public) small failures/inconveniences that were far less dramatic and not race-ending, but may have cost may points - for either driver.

I think you don't become a champion by luck alone. Especially not in these days of super-reliability.

At this moment both have 9 times. Not all of these 9 wins have come from luck alone. And that's equally true for Lewis' 9 wins.
Nico qualified in the top 2 for every single event, and assuming Lewis wins tomorrow he has just a single race wins less than Lewis, so he must have done something right?

I can't call that underwhelming.
Also since Malaysia Nico has not raced Lewis wheel to wheel.He can now win the title without doing this and would be worried about Lewis emulating his hero Senna and trying to take him out.Better to have him in front where he can see him.I think his biggest risk now is if Lewis tries to back him up in the race.It will then be up to the team to run pit stop strategy to prevent this.Or maybe Lewis will be content with win but no title.(Really?).
Old 26 Nov 2016, 23:14 (Ref:3691279)   #29
JeremySmith
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Yes I agree .. Lewis has natural raw pace and is a total racer at heart ..Nico has his moments but overall Lewis is superior ..
Lewis Hamilton wears his heart on his sleeve, Nico is more of a robot in my opinion..
Old 26 Nov 2016, 23:17 (Ref:3691280)   #30
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm usually rooting for Hamilton, but right now I'd be happy for Rosberg to win it. He's the Prost to Lewis' Senna, and it'd be nice to see that approach work out once in a while. And besides, having Keke be a champion and not Nico just doesn't seem right.