Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 Jan 2017, 09:53 (Ref:3701207)   #1
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Which GP to go to - British or Spanish

Hi guys, any input would be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking to take my by then 16 yo son to his first Grand Prix. I want to go on an organised trip and from Ireland, the options are only Spain, Monaco, Britain, Spa Hungary and Monza.

For various reasons, it has to be Britain or Spain so ignore the others (Monza some day...). Cost wise there isn't actually much difference - the British trip needs an upcharge for a grandstand (which is a must) at £160 pp which brings it close to the Spanish trip which has seating included Sat and Sun. The Spanish trip will still be more expensive but not by as much as you think it should be.

Britain is boat/2 nights in Birmingham. Spain is fly and 3 nights in Barcelona.

The British as far as a spectating experience and value for money tends to get bad reviews - expensive, miles away from the track, the flat track means you can only see the section you're at. I've been to 1 British GP (the soggy one in 2000) and enjoyed it but felt I was miles from the track and could only see the cars for a few seconds through Abbey.

I hear the Catalunya track is a better spectator track because more of the track is visible but I have no experience of it.

As I'm writing, I look like I'm convincing myself that Spain is a no brainer but can anyone with experience of both chime in and let me know? I'd like my kids first GP to be a special one.

Cheers!
Old 9 Jan 2017, 10:33 (Ref:3701221)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hungary will probably be the chepeast, but it can be super hot there.

Spa the best venue, or Monza, not sure of the wallet theft is still as bad at Monza as it once was.

No argument of you only have two choices and that would be Spain, spend some time in Barcelona, although from personal experience not Las Ramblas, full of thieves and awful food. Get off the beat and track a bit, Sils or somewhere and travel in.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 12:00 (Ref:3701238)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
Britain is boat/2 nights in Birmingham. Spain is fly and 3 nights in Barcelona.
I think there is a clue here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graz View Post
I look like I'm convincing myself that Spain is a no brainer
Spain is likely to have better weather, a trip to Barcelona beats a trip to Brum, any circuit has to be better than Silverstone. Decision made.
Old 9 Jan 2017, 14:59 (Ref:3701279)   #4
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
spain is definitely a no brainer. you can indeed see a lot of the track from many of the grandstands. you're much closer to the cars too, and in the event of rain at least you're warm and damp not cold and wet

what are your planned arrangements for barcelona? train or car to the circuit?
Old 9 Jan 2017, 19:57 (Ref:3701368)   #5
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Whichever GP you feel is more value for your buck. The Spanish GP can produce dull races, but I hear the spectator experience is one of the best. British GP usually produces at the very least half decent races, but the facilities are a bit down
Old 9 Jan 2017, 20:48 (Ref:3701374)   #6
peebee2
Veteran

peebee2 User had had their licence endorsedpeebee2 User had had their licence endorsed
Spain a hundred times better.

Not as good as Monza though.

Do you realise how far Birmingham is from Silverstone? Seriously?
Old 10 Jan 2017, 13:52 (Ref:3701590)   #7
jondownunder
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
jondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjondownunder should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I went to the Spanish GP in 2013, 2015 & '16. Would definitely recommend it. Easy & regular local trains from Barcelona, a beautiful city in itself.

I've never been to the British GP, but what swings it for me is that Spain offered a free pitlane walkabout on the Thursday (3 hrs long I think) included with a basic general admission weekend ticket. Hopefully it still does, but the website doesn't always make that clear.

If you so wish you have a real chance of meeting some drivers, while you'll also see the teams working & doing practice pit stops etc. It's quite manic and if you have a team in mind (especially Mercedes, Ferrari, McLaren etc) you should join the queue for the pitwalk a few hours early and then expect to run when they let you in to get a place behind the barrier at your chosen team. Drivers will emerge eventually armed with sharpies. Over three GPs managed to 'meet' Hamilton (twice), Rosberg (twice), Vettel, Raikkonen, Massa, Ricciardo, Bianchi, Ericsson, Nasr, Sainz, Pic, Ocon and others. Silverstone only offers a draw for a slim chance of getting into the pitwalk.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 16:57 (Ref:3701863)   #8
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thanks for all the replies!
Old 11 Jan 2017, 16:58 (Ref:3701864)   #9
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
spain is definitely a no brainer. you can indeed see a lot of the track from many of the grandstands. you're much closer to the cars too, and in the event of rain at least you're warm and damp not cold and wet

what are your planned arrangements for barcelona? train or car to the circuit?
I read about an hourly shuttle of some kind for 10 euro but I won't rent a car, I need to look into it more but there seem to be good links to the circuit.
Old 11 Jan 2017, 17:12 (Ref:3701866)   #10
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
there are indeed, and the barcelona transport system is well priced and works brilliantly.

i don't think it extends as far as the circuit, but if you buy a 10 journey ticket two people can use it at once, and you're allowed a very reasonable amount of time for connections. works out at about £1.10 or something per journey. it used to include the train from the airport as well, not sure it does any more if the metro is finally open though.

a car is handy if you end up staying near the circuit rather than in the city (eg mollet del valles), but if you're planning to enjoy the city as well then public transport is the best choice for sure