Home Mobile Forum News Cookbook FaceBook Us T-Shirts etc.: Europe/Worldwide. eBay Motorsport Links Advertising Live Chat  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides MotorsportAds MotorsTV (Sky 447)  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Turnstyle Prints

Old 7 Sep 2007, 10:13 (Ref:2005955)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Spalding, Lincolnshire
John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!
Turnstyle Prints - Historic Racing Today Series

First of all, I have to thank the Owners/Administrators of this site to allow me to post this thread up.

Some of you may know that over the last couple of years I have commissioned our revered 'Hall of Fame' artist, Andrew Kitson, to do a couple of paintings of the historic racing scene (a relatively untapped area in my view). This started really as a hobby, but, of course, original paintings are expensive, so to offset the cost, I have arranged for a limited edition print run on both paintings and also on an earlier painting Andrew did for Grahame Bryant (Cobra). Thus I now have 3 limited edition prints (all from Goodwood) and another (Coys, Silverstone) from Andrew on the way, plus some more in the pipeline if the early ones sell sufficiently well. I have therefore formed Turnstyle Prints, and registered that as a Limited company.

The upshot of this is that I am about to set up my own website to start marketing the 3 different prints already prepared, and if I can persuade you to buy, the range will continue to be extended! Although this may not interest many of the posters/visitors on this forum, I'm also working with another artist, Chris Dugan, to cover off some of the modern GTs, another favourite of mine.

However, I'm seeking some feedback about what else the site should contain because a few prints are not going to hold your attention for long. Naturally, there will be a links page, and the first to go up will be to here, of course. However there needs to be more, and I have it mind to set up a gallery of all the better examples of photos that I have taken over recent years. For a whole number of reasons, I cannot sell these images, but despite their amateur quality they have appeared on one or two websites and in 'flyers' so I don't think that they are too bad. So, I'm considering charging people a one off 10 charge for access to the gallery and they can then download as many pictures and as often as they like, and without watermark. There will be thousands, eventually. However, anyone purchasing a print will get free access to the gallery. That's my thinking at the moment, anyway, but obviously subject to changes which may depend on the views expressed here.

Any feedback on the above would be most welcome, but, of course, I have to be realistic, and there is a cost also in terms of establishing and maintaining the site, so I'm not going into this lightly, and you shouldn't be offended if I don't adopt any or all ideas that are presented here.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 10:27 (Ref:2005968)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As the proud owner of one of these prints (Aston Martin) I'm looking forward to your website.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 11:08 (Ref:2005983)   #3
MagnetON
Royalridge Computing
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!MagnetON is going for a new world record!
On a technical side, you could take a look at some of the motorsport photography sites that the guys in Art & Photo have, that may give you an idea on the type of sites that are available. With membership/subscription and free download there are quite a few bits of software that can do this. The harder area to work with is the physical prints as there's a physical order fulfillment process that needs to happen.

If you're not sure about website design/hosting/content management etc. then I would suggest finding a local web design company and have an initial consultation with them. Take a list of websites you like the look of, or are doing something similar to what you want to do and they should be able to advise on the software needed.

Regarding processing credit cards, it's probably more likely that you'll want to use PayPal as your credit card processor as it's unlikely you'll get a Visa Internet Merchant account and (no offence) you'll probably not be doing a high enough level of business to warrant merchant gateway fees. Most web "shopping cart" software can use PayPal as the payment processor.

You can choose and register your domain name with someone like www.joker.com before you go to a web design company, registrations are cheap and I've looked at two suitable domain names for this project that are currently un-registered, PM me if you want to know which ones.
Old 7 Sep 2007, 21:36 (Ref:2006410)   #4
terence
Subscriber
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the quality I,ve seen John,when do you want my tenner?
Old 13 Sep 2007, 13:03 (Ref:2011146)   #5
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Spalding, Lincolnshire
John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!John Turner is going for a new world record!
Reverend MagnetON, you, more than most, will know my techical shortcomings; afterall you have had to tolerate them long enough! However, as part of the registering of the company name process, I was directed to a particular website designer who I have signed up to. Initial dealings seem positive and they are addressing the sort of issues that you have highlighted for me, including domain name.

Peter, Terence; thank you for kind remarks. I'm hoping others might offer their support or suggestions, particularly in respect of the image gallery charge.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 12:05 (Ref:2016809)   #6
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Nice idea John. There have been quite a few artists around over the years (including myself), but very few can make a living at it, so anything that promotes Motorsport Art gets my approval.

I'm also fond of your photo reports from the meetings and your personal comments that go with them. Great for those of us who can't get there.

Good luck with it - and I agree with Terence.

Your ISP may be able to help with web design. Although I do my own website, I have come across a few sites produced by my ISP's own software (which I think is free). They are adequate for their needs and should be easy to manage.

Last edited by Alan Raine; 18 Sep 2007 at 12:11.
Old 20 Sep 2007, 08:17 (Ref:2018550)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Spalding, Lincolnshire
Thank you, Alan. I'm sending you a PM.

Noting the number of people who have viewed this thread and who view my pictorial reviews, I'm a little disappointed not to get a bit more feedback about the proposal. I'm awaiting the first draft design for the website homepage for the sale of the prints at the moment, and this will go ahead in any event. However, the addition of an image gallery also carries an additional cost, so this is the area in which I'm looking for reaction.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 12:53 (Ref:2020933)   #8
COLIN STUBBS
Veteran

United Kingdom
Louth.Thats the one near Cadwell
COLIN STUBBS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dare bet that lots of us havnt replied,and are just waiting for it!I am anyhow John...Keep us informed!!
Old 23 Sep 2007, 15:33 (Ref:2021042)   #9
terence
Subscriber
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From little Accorns,,,Rome etc etc
Old 23 Sep 2007, 16:05 (Ref:2021054)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePeter Mallett will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
From little Accorns,,,Rome etc etc
Mighty Romes do grow? Hmm, not sure that's quite right.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 16:22 (Ref:2021071)   #11
terence
Subscriber
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
I,m not even going to try to explain
Old 6 Mar 2008, 18:01 (Ref:2145840)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Spalding, Lincolnshire
Well, 6 months later, it was finally launched today. I'm still not sure it's exactly as I intended but had to start sometime.

Those who are already members (yes, there are a few!) will receive their passwords within the next 24 hours. Hope that you enjoy browsing the image archive; it has taken me ages just to load up those from 5 meetings so far (about 600 images, I think!) and I will be adding to it regularly. I must have at least another 25-30 meetings to add before I even get started on our new season!

http://www.turnstyleprints.co.uk/
Old 6 Mar 2008, 19:06 (Ref:2145885)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Good luck and well done John. I look forward to a relaxing browse.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2145937)   #14
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddelta should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where do we send the 10.00 John. Does being a member give a driver a waiver on yellow flag infringments. Fantastic idea my full support . Good Luck.
Old 6 Mar 2008, 23:15 (Ref:2146057)   #15
john ruston
The Scarlet Pimpernel
Veteran

john ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjohn ruston should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well done and best of luck.