Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Closed Thread

Old 31 Oct 2012, 21:07 (Ref:3160748)   #1776
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
NASCAR has very specific brand identities. Unless ST allows more makes and for each make.to actually use its own drive train it will never get close to it. Also SC would have to take a huge tumble. Seeing as the CoTF is brining in new makes and a whole heap of intrest tjeres some very very big obstacles in the way.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 21:40 (Ref:3160761)   #1777
on_to_it
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
on_to_it has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Revhead View Post
NASCAR has very specific brand identities.
V8ST have as well; Holdens and Fords. And in time perhaps, whoever else wants to come and play.

Quote:
Unless ST allows more makes and for each make.to actually use its own drive train it will never get close to it.
ST are allowing more makes, they just haven't turned up yet. As far as engines and drivetrains are concerned, I doubt too many punters give a toss. I heard them going on about Holdens 1-2-3 and Fords this-that-and-the-other. I wouldn't expect ST to get close to Nascar, but in what terms are you referring to?

Quote:
Also SC would have to take a huge tumble.
Sorry but in the context of replying to my post, I miss this point completely.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3160799)   #1778
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thus far the haters have been remarkably accurate in their predictions of the total failure that ST will be...

This is not a glib 'We'll be as big as NZV8 in no time", this strikes me as a statement of intent.

Better to have big dreams and stumble at a high level (if in fact you stumble at all) than sit around and tell all the other losers how great you could have been.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 23:47 (Ref:3160819)   #1779
DX20VT
Racer

DX20VT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And I am sure that saying they are aiming to be better than V8SC has done wonders for that relationship.
Old 31 Oct 2012, 23:58 (Ref:3160825)   #1780
Icarus_nz
Racer

New Zealand
Paradise
Icarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridIcarus_nz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DX20VT View Post
And I am sure that saying they are aiming to be better than V8SC has done wonders for that relationship.
Like the gender arguement. There is no 'better' only different
Old 1 Nov 2012, 00:38 (Ref:3160835)   #1781
Chappelli
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Chappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridChappelli should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
+ 1
Two make series !!! they are one make series, the only difference are the badges, They are just clones that can be dressed up at will.
PR.... BS at its'best.
Ask your average Cantab whether they care how many Crusaders are from elsewhere... surprising how often the end result is more important than the DNA.

In New Zealand there are zillions of classes that are "real" cars or cars that are true to their "DNA".... there are zero that compete with mainstream sport.

I like to think of ST/NZV8s as Motorsports version of T20 Cricket. It might not be every purists cup of tea, but if it's bringing new fans to the sport and attracting crowds, then they're doing the job.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 01:13 (Ref:3160843)   #1782
Ugy
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
Ugy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixer View Post
Honestly the guy is either full of bluff and bluster or he's plain nuts.
Some people are nuts if they think the Sts could remotely take the top spot of the SC. For a start they would have to do the majority of racing in Aussie in front of Ford fans with Chev engines..... Some people
Old 1 Nov 2012, 01:37 (Ref:3160846)   #1783
nistfan
Racer

New Zealand
nistfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugy View Post
Some people are nuts if they think the Sts could remotely take the top spot of the SC. For a start they would have to do the majority of racing in Aussie in front of Ford fans with Chev engines..... Some people
Not going to be many Fords left in V8SC for the Ford Fans to support pretty soon. Maybe the Aussie Ford Fans could start supporting V8ST instead. Hos that for a great idea
Old 1 Nov 2012, 02:01 (Ref:3160851)   #1784
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
On my knees with tears of laughter
Old 1 Nov 2012, 04:07 (Ref:3160858)   #1785
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
NZSTfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On other makes etc, didn't mark petch suggest on the TV3 show a month or so back that there was indeed a third manufacturer coming on board? he said it wasn't Japanese or european, so one would think Hyundai i45 ( or whatever the sedan is called) or a Kia Optima.

Personally i think the Optima would look the ducks-nuts in ST guise.

With the comments about Didiers interview with speedcafe, who really cares if he has high ambitions, there is nothing wrong with aiming high.

At this point in time the ST series (IMO) has over delivered on what they set out to achieve in one year. Yes we didn't get Scott Dixon, or the Giz or Frosty etc, but what we have got so far is a series that is working well, is attracting reasonable crowds, and good racing is the result.

The 'haters' or NZV8 fanboys are still trying to pull this thing apart, make it look like it was the wrong way to go. Time to get over yourselves and either become part of it, or try something else, like golf, or horse-riding, or combine the two and play polo.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 04:45 (Ref:3160865)   #1786
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Isn't there only ever going to be 24 cars? Forget the max set but was about that. Was stated they will never go more than that.
So maybe someone will stick a Hyundai bumper on one of the Chassis. Hardly makes a difference though.
Fact is the single engine will be an obstacle to growth. That alone will stop the series getting much bigger. You will not get the manufacturer or fan support needed.
The series could be so much more, but unless management decide to change a lot of things, it won't.

Interesting thing I saw a few months bank. CCCs accounts, Out of the ST round there and last summers Tier 1 event, which one do you think made the club the most money?
Old 1 Nov 2012, 04:46 (Ref:3160866)   #1787
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Isn't there only ever going to be 24 cars? Forget the max set but was about that. Was stated they will never go more than that.
So maybe someone will stick a Hyundai bumper on one of the Chassis. Hardly makes a difference though.
Fact is the single engine will be an obstacle to growth. That alone will stop the series getting much bigger. You will not get the manufacturer or fan support needed.
The series could be so much more, but unless management decide to change a lot of things, it won't.

Interesting thing I saw a few months bank. CCCs accounts, Out of the ST round there and last summers Tier 1 event, which one do you think made the club the most money?
Old 1 Nov 2012, 05:02 (Ref:3160871)   #1788
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Yes i think you're right rev about the car numbers being maxxed out at 24 total. But one would also think that if the interest (and of course money) was there then why not stretch out to more cars? (say 28). But thats another story i guess.

You say sticking a hyundai bumper on will make no difference, and to you it may not. But to your average msport fan, it may make a huge difference, and i think thats the way the ST management thinks, and that is to appeal to a younger audience and do away with the old-school holden vs ford mentality. its stars in cars, simple as that.

No doubt ( and i am assuming you know this, otherwise you would not post it), the CCC made more money out of the tier 1 event, but which class do you reckon made most of that coin? the NZV8's or the support classes? I just had a quick look through the archives and i assume you are referring to the meeting held from 9 - 11 December 2011. There were 10 NZV8 cars in total for crying out loud! Do you think that the crowds were there to watch these 10 cars?
Old 1 Nov 2012, 05:07 (Ref:3160873)   #1789
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mark Petch specifically said that is the total and will never raise.

I disagree. It will limit the expansion potential. Already crowd numbers are lower than expected (referring to comments by food retailers that the crowd numbers promoted never eventuated)

Must have been the Suzukis then. Point was where is all the $$ going? The ST crowd was said to be the biggest etc etc (I was there, it wasn't)

Now, back to your comments about the car being "poos" waiting for evidence please
Old 1 Nov 2012, 05:20 (Ref:3160876)   #1790
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
24 cars it is then. I'd love to give you the evidence you require, but getting up close and personal with these cars (unless at a function such as the ITM400, big boys toys etc) is real hard. So the only evidence i can give you is based on opinion. The build quality is just not there, and without the panels on the welding looks dodgey, the gauge of the tubing is quite small, the structural components appear weaker than the ST and the gearbox does not have a proven track record.

Now i know this will not be good enough for you, so why don't you enlighten us and tell us why the next gen NZV8 is better (or as good as, doesn't bother me) as the ST??

Also, where do you get that little snippet of info about crowd numbers from? according to you crowd numbers are 'lower than expected' and you are basing this on what food retailers tell you or your buddies......Do you know for a fact that numbers are lower than expected? or are you just posting bovine-waste again?

You've just had a crack at me on another thread about posting lies.....nek minnit
Old 1 Nov 2012, 05:24 (Ref:3160877)   #1791
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
You can't get close to them but you can tell the welds are crap and the tubes not big enough....
Enough said really

Did you miss the comments made in the Puke thread about what some food vendors were saying to patrons? Looks like you did.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 05:41 (Ref:3160882)   #1792
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Read carefully rev, you can only get up close and personal with them when they are on display at big events. I have seen them up close (and i'm being a straight shooter here) about 5 times i think, and one of those was at the ITM where i spent a good hour or so foraging around the car and comparing it with what i had seen on the ST prototype.

No need to get on your high horse and try to trip me up here rev, because i have been up close with these next gen cars, and i have a pair of funtioning eyes and a history of structural/mechanical engineering.

And yes i did see the comments you are referring to in the Puke thread, but when i go and see the all blacks play at eden park i dont ask the guy selling hot dogs how many people are in the crowd.

Jeeez
Old 1 Nov 2012, 05:49 (Ref:3160883)   #1793
HProject
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
HProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHProject should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In case it helps the debate, here's some imagery of the comparitive cars...

SuperTourer (Foggy seems to like his):

NZV8:

Old 1 Nov 2012, 06:00 (Ref:3160886)   #1794
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Yeah wow those welds sure do look dangerous

Forum rules prevent me from commenting further on your post I'm afraid stfan
Old 1 Nov 2012, 06:07 (Ref:3160888)   #1795
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
Quote:
Yeah wow those welds sure do look dangerous

Forum rules prevent me from commenting further on your post I'm afraid stfan
First of all thanks to HProject for posting those pics.

Rev, are you serious? can you not see, even in those pictures the difference in build quality and design? of course you can't, you're wearing rose tinted glasses.

Did i say the welds looked dangerous? no i didn't. i said they looked dodgey, or if you want further clarification of that, they look sub standard compared to the pace built ST chassis. to be honest though you would have to look closer than that to see what i am referring to with the welding.

If you want to take this further Rev, just PM me, and then you can vent like krakatoa
Old 1 Nov 2012, 06:09 (Ref:3160889)   #1796
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
No need, your posts all speak for themselves. Along with your user name.
It's quite clear you are extremely biased. Imo.
So end of it as far as in concerned.
Old 1 Nov 2012, 06:12 (Ref:3160890)   #1797
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
well your bang on the money there rev! I am biased because i believe in the ST concept, and am a fan of it. So good observation there regarding my username.

Hurrah
Old 1 Nov 2012, 06:32 (Ref:3160896)   #1798
Goat Boy
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland
Goat Boy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No point in arguing really, it's like religion or politics, you will never convince the other side to believe what you do...
Old 1 Nov 2012, 06:35 (Ref:3160897)   #1799
NZSTfan
Veteran

New Zealand
car heaven
true that GB
Old 1 Nov 2012, 21:41 (Ref:3161241)   #1800
Evomike
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Evomike should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Please post the accounts on here...otherwise its just rumour
Closed Thread