Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 31 Oct 2006, 00:28 (Ref:1753972)   #1
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
DJR needs help?

As the story in this morning Sydney DAILY TELEGRAPGH said the V8 Supercar Team DJR needs help, between 2mil & 3 mil to keep going.

I hope DJR can find the funds to keep racing, as no matter what people say he is a legend. So lets hope Corparate Australia can help out DJR.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 31 Oct 2006, 00:47 (Ref:1753977)   #2
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was an interestingly-written piece... on the page in from the back... so will get lots of reading...

The story intimates that DJR is unable/unwilling to self fund next season, and that a contribution of ~$3m will get them out of their financial distress.

Presumably the sale of the DJR show ex-race cars to Mr Bowden, as confirmed in the most recent AMC, is a signal that there are no sacred assets in the group as funds need to be found to keep the lights on.

We have been reading in AA for months that Mr Chalker is "nearly there" with potential sponsors... but obviously not too "nearly" as the branding on the cars dont change....

I went looking on the Foxsports site and couldnt find the article, maybe it will go up tomorrow...

... but a begathon in the media, the 2nd such one in a month, doesnt present the sport in a particularly good light...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 31 Oct 2006, 00:55 (Ref:1753981)   #3
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
Presumably the sale of the DJR show ex-race cars to Mr Bowden, as confirmed in the most recent AMC, is a signal that there are no sacred assets in the group as funds need to be found to keep the lights on...
Better a couple of old cars than the boat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic
... but a begathon in the media, the 2nd such one in a month, doesnt present the sport in a particularly good light...
there'll be more, no doubt...
Old 31 Oct 2006, 01:35 (Ref:1753989)   #4
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Did I miss something GTR, but who was the first to put the hat out for $ recently?
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 31 Oct 2006, 01:48 (Ref:1753994)   #5
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSR
Did I miss something GTR, but who was the first to put the hat out for $ recently?
Team Kiwi
Old 31 Oct 2006, 01:52 (Ref:1753996)   #6
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is a lesson learnt here DJ, never self sponsor cause it will swollow up your funds faster than me eating a box full of KFC chips.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 02:57 (Ref:1754016)   #7
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Plus there's the talk of Will Davison on the move at year's end.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 03:10 (Ref:1754022)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Telegraph P70 31/10/06 "Who has $2m to save an Aussie Icon" by Ray Kershler, Motorsport

Dick Johnson Racing, the team founded on public donations after the famous "rock" incident at Bathurst is again in need of urgent financial aid to survive.

This time though, the depth of the problem is beyond the reach of the mum and dad fans who rallied to Johnson by sending him spare cash in 1980. DJR need a major corporate sponsor for 2007 to the tune of $2 million to $3 million dollars after losing long time backer Shell, then losing money in a disastrous deal with the failed Westpoint property development group.

Johnson formed the first professional motor racing team in Australia after the 1980 incident but the sponsorship setbacks have drained team and personal financial resources.

"We've worked hard for 30 years. I've put every cent I've got into making motorsport my passion and my career but I'm not sure how much longer we'll survive without corporate Australia's backing," Johnson said yesterday

Steve Chalker, the managing director of DJR, backed the appeal, saying "Dick is a household name and with the unfortunate passing of Peter Brock, he is now the sport's living legend.

"He is our elder statesman. Someone has to be able to see a marketing opportunity to associate their brand with someone who is a great Australian and a great Australian larrikin."

Johnson won the Australian touring car championship a record 5 times and Bathurst three times before retiring in 1999 to run the team.

DJR lost a lucrative Shell sponsorship in 2004 after 18 years before a four-year deal with Westpoint lasted less than 12 months.

After losing a significant amount of money in the Westpoint debacle, Johnson's V8 racing team was backed this year by two of his own recently set-up companies.

While costs in modern V8Supercar racing vary greatly, insiders say an average team requires around $7 million a year with a major naming rights sponsor worth $2m to #4m.

"We lost Westpoint in November and just didn't have time to find a naming-rights sponsor." Chalker said

"We had no choice but to use our own businesses. But to ask two new businesses to fund a V8 team is pretty ambitious.

"Dick has sustained the business out of his own pocket over the past 12 months by sponsorship of his infant companies.

"But he can no longer sustain the cost without a financial partner"
Lots of interpretations of facts in that lot...
Old 31 Oct 2006, 03:13 (Ref:1754023)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's too bad, but the team hasn't really performed since dick quit. Maybe shell will come back.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 03:15 (Ref:1754025)   #10
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Did his two businesses take off and do well? I heard the telecom one wasn't doing so well, but the mortgage one was.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 03:19 (Ref:1754026)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
Did his two businesses take off and do well? I heard the telecom one wasn't doing so well, but the mortgage one was.
Neither of them in their first year of operation would ever hope to generate sufficient free cash flows to develop the business, and sponsor the racing teams. These operations were at ground zero only 12 months ago.

Brand new startups like the WPS group were supported by a willing benefactor, who subsequently made sufficient funds to operate the race team from the exposure brought on by the sponsorship... as opposed to hoping the new enterprises would be rich enough to pay the bills from day dot.

It is sad, but this article is not necessarily the way to improve the situation...
Old 31 Oct 2006, 03:34 (Ref:1754031)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i remember after hitting the Rock at Bathurst DJ had a wod of cash raised for a new car and it seems like he needs a lot more than the $70,000 raised after the Rock.(was it thrown on track or did it misteriously fall on to the track?i guess we will never know.)
Old 31 Oct 2006, 03:47 (Ref:1754034)   #13
Alan 52
Racer

Alan 52 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwr fan
i remember after hitting the Rock at Bathurst DJ had a wod of cash raised for a new car and it seems like he needs a lot more than the $70,000 raised after the Rock.(was it thrown on track or did it misteriously fall on to the track?i guess we will never know.)
I was sitting 20 metres away from where it happened.It was accidentally dislodged by an official walking along the steep slope between the fence and the track.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 03:49 (Ref:1754036)   #14
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
cool we will know accident or not DJ would be livered with him.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 03:56 (Ref:1754038)   #15
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's not a lot of sentiment left in professional sport these days when it comes to money. Would be sad to see the paddock without DJR, but it's not hard to see why they're struggling for sponsorship when they're no longer the leading Ford team at the pointy end of the field.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 04:05 (Ref:1754041)   #16
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by billybanana
There's not a lot of sentiment left in professional sport these days when it comes to money. Would be sad to see the paddock without DJR,...
i'm not a ford fan but i would be sad to see a big name of the past and present gone from the paddock.

Quote:
Originally posted by billybanana
but it's not hard to see why they're struggling for sponsorship when they're no longer the leading Ford team at the pointy end of the field
shame they can't be at the front because i think if they were Shell might return.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 04:17 (Ref:1754047)   #17
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
cool we will know accident or not DJ would be livered with him.
Why? Yeah, it may have robbed him of the HF1000 in 1980, but it was still only lap 17... and netted him more than Brock got for winning... paid for the 1981 car, which repaid the faith big time... no, that cloud definitely had a silver lining...
Old 31 Oct 2006, 04:32 (Ref:1754051)   #18
silvervsix
Racer

silvervsix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DJR are the 4th best ford team behind 888, SBR, FPV and they usually have a car in the top 10 all the time. Value for dollar they are punching above their weight class.

Come on someone with deep pockets DJR is a great v8 team.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 05:59 (Ref:1754076)   #19
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervsix
DJR are the 4th best ford team behind 888, SBR, FPV and they usually have a car in the top 10 all the time. Value for dollar they are punching above their weight class.

Come on someone with deep pockets DJR is a great v8 team.
I'd put WPS before them...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 31 Oct 2006, 06:08 (Ref:1754079)   #20
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Kerschler
Johnson formed the first professional motor racing team in Australia after the 1980 incident.....
Oh dear......

This kind of stuff from a recipitent of the much-heralded AVESCO Media Award.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 06:15 (Ref:1754083)   #21
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
i would to but i think DJR would find them selves a bit higher up if they had a few extra $$$ as there cars aren't slow,they have got plenty of speed,just there is that missing link somewhere.

Steve driving for another team would be good for steve,steve is a great driver but i think racing for his father has taken the edge of his racing lately and i thought he would of done great at FPR as Brighty's replacement IMO.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 06:22 (Ref:1754088)   #22
Poita
Rookie

Poita should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Top ten for this year prove otherwise..

1. Toll HSV Dealer Team 5,000
2. Team Betta Electrical 4,675
3. Ford Performance Racing 4,131
4. Stone Brothers Racing 4,098
5. Dick Johnson Racing 3,593
6. Jack Daniels Racing 3,558
7. WPS Racing 3,374
8. Super Cheap Auto Racing 3,176
9. Repco Valvoline Cummins Team 2,986
10. Holden Racing Team 2,984
Old 31 Oct 2006, 06:26 (Ref:1754092)   #23
observer
Rookie

Australia
australia
observer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They started an interview with DJ on 2KY Big Sports Breakfast this morning
and for some reason he got cut off.
The program said they are keen on being more involved with motorsport
and will endeavour to get back in contact with DJ.
Hopefully tomorrow, I will post what is said if they do!
Old 31 Oct 2006, 06:27 (Ref:1754093)   #24
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
i would have both HRT and GRM and maybe Tasman above PWR IMO.
Old 31 Oct 2006, 06:34 (Ref:1754096)   #25
Henry
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
i would have both HRT and GRM and maybe Tasman above PWR IMO.
Well, so would I.

If you meant ahead of DJR, Poita's top !0 would appear to be ranked on teams' performance in 2006, rather than anything quite so authoritative and objective as opinion...