Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Apr 2008, 01:51 (Ref:2177683)   #26
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have an idea...why doesn't the government just tell us what we can and cannot do, consume, say because we are all too stupid to be able to decide that for ourselves. Heck we should just have the one choice for government who should then run all the organisations (there should only be one each of them for all the different stuff we need) and then we won't have any of these problems of drinking, gambleing, smoking, speeding and what not.

Because as I said, the general public are far too stupid to think and take responsability for themselves...

...fools...
Old 15 Apr 2008, 03:55 (Ref:2177707)   #27
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by db120176
France is the only western nation I can think of with such draconian legislation banning the promotion of tobacco and alchohol (I know alchohol advertising is banned in the middle east for slightly different reasons). If you consider the knock touring cars got when tobacco advertising was banned, this may be another disaster.

As a sidebar to this item, can anybody confirm if any new beer sponsorship can be negotiated by teams? Just thinking about the Sprint Cup in the US trying to ban AT&T from advertising on a car (after the Cingular sponsorship was "grandfathered" in)
Dunno about the France thing, I know that in France I saw plenty of alcohol advertising both on TV and billboards, also I can go into any supermarket, service station, 7/11 or even McDonalds (yes McBeer) and buy booze and at way cheaper prices than we can here. I didn't exactly see the streets of Paris or Le Mans chocka-block full of violent drunks. A similar thing occurs in Hong Kong where you can get booze almost anywhere and in Japan where you can buy it at vending machines on the street.
The problem isn't the availability or promotion of alcohol, it's the inherent stupidity of the average Aussie Yobbo who can't hold his booze.
Old 15 Apr 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2177857)   #28
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really have a problem with laws that say a product is too dangerous to advertise, but ok to consume.

If it's that dangerous, ban it totally. If not, then it should be allowed to be advertised. People can make up their minds if they want to buy it or not.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 03:17 (Ref:2178504)   #29
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the day they ban carparks in pubs and clubs will be the day i support banning alcohol advertising in motorsport

people need to think for themselves, and take the blame for their actions, rather than expect compo or shifting the blame for there own stupidity

Last edited by Axeman444; 16 Apr 2008 at 03:19.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 03:57 (Ref:2178515)   #30
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Dunno about the France thing, I know that in France I saw plenty of alcohol advertising both on TV and billboards
It's a restriction that is particular to sports. That's why there's no Johnnie Walker signage on McLarens in France, and why the Heiniken Cup European club rugby championship is known as the H Cup. I'm not certain but I think you can only advertise alcohol in the media after 10PM
Old 16 Apr 2008, 09:46 (Ref:2178685)   #31
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
6th last paragraph

"A broadening of the definition of alcohol also was included in the rule changes, to prevent any products associated with alcohol being advertised to children."
Old 16 Apr 2008, 13:24 (Ref:2178886)   #32
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170
I really have a problem with laws that say a product is too dangerous to advertise, but ok to consume.

If it's that dangerous, ban it totally. If not, then it should be allowed to be advertised. People can make up their minds if they want to buy it or not.
This current proposed legislation is aimed at taking alcohol out of the view of children, not ban it totally.

So in line with the purpose of the legislation, its not ok for children to consume
Old 17 Jul 2009, 01:18 (Ref:2503064)   #33
smokinJ
Racer

smokinJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
xxxx angel Jacks Bundy Beam gone????

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/s...006301,00.html
Old 17 Jul 2009, 01:44 (Ref:2503068)   #34
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a load of horse ****....bloody politicians.....what next no advertising for tampons and condoms. F**** the goody goody society we are being forced into
Old 17 Jul 2009, 02:07 (Ref:2503072)   #35
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Also a Believer View Post
.....what next no advertising for tampons and condoms.
The BBC in England once refused to cover F1 races as one of the cars was backed by Durex condoms
Old 17 Jul 2009, 02:11 (Ref:2503073)   #36
EBXR8
Veteran

Australia
Australia
EBXR8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It cant and It Wont be Done, Ruddy will crumble to the will of the TV empire. Taking this off the screens will do nothing, ppl are always going to Drink and Smoke. The more they take it away the more it will happen as it is seen to be risky and cool I say WAKE UP, TO THE BLOODY SUITS IN PARLIMENT THEY HAVE NO IDEA!
Old 17 Jul 2009, 03:19 (Ref:2503083)   #37
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Initial reaction from the gAFL - plenty more to run on this yet I would have thought:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...ction=business
Old 17 Jul 2009, 03:32 (Ref:2503086)   #38
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think condom sponsorship is natural for motorsport. Rubber, safe in the wet - 365 = a good year... Rubber is the only protection between you and disaster...

The Dick "Ansell" Johnson racing team, Todd n Rick "Durex" Racing team. And the dancing girls would wear rubber suits.

Why are all the boxes ticked for this?

But because sponsorship is so dangerous, they could replace XXXX as the official drink with coke. But coke has too much sugar, so they will ban soft drink advertising because too many kids are lardasses.

So will we end up with "the official low fat yoghurt of V8 supercars is..."
Old 17 Jul 2009, 08:15 (Ref:2503154)   #39
sebringimsa
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
sebringimsa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just another step towards the nanny / fascist state
If it rolls, floats, flys or crashes, runs on gasoline or high explosives, shoots a big bullett, makes lots of noise, producing torque and recoil, THEN ITS COOL!! But if it's a ball made out of leather inflated with air hit with a bat, racquet or club, played on a course, green or court by yubbies or left-wingers it SUCKS!!
Old 17 Jul 2009, 09:02 (Ref:2503177)   #40
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you are one of the ones picking up the broken bits of the kids who consume and then drive you may see it a bit differently , advertising is very powerful drug to the young = go and have a gut full of "Bundy Red" and then let the Bundy Red do the thinking and driving (rememeber 10 foot tall and unbreakable) and another 18 year old wipes out another driver and kills and maims a few kids in his car -a sad but true scenario every weekend in Australia --- like smoking , when I was a kid growing up (1950s and sixties) most everyone smoked , the odd one out was the non smoker , those days 50% of the population smoked now it's down to 10% who smoke ; no advertising of smoking products must have helped this figure , perhaps it would do the same for young people and the road toll if they did the same for the advertised alcoholic products !!
Old 17 Jul 2009, 10:28 (Ref:2503208)   #41
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by xrystl View Post
If you are one of the ones picking up the broken bits of the kids who consume and then drive you may see it a bit differently , advertising is very powerful drug to the young
Absolute Crap.

I'm younger (24 atm), i don't smoke cigarettes, yet i first got 'into' the motorsport thing around the time Skaife was in the winfield 32. I don't drink, dispite all this advertising. I don't do drugs either.

Its called will power, learn it.
If it is such a big deal about people actually doing what the sponsers are selling, i might start a company selling jumps off a cliff, without a rope or parachute. That should clean out the gene pool abit
Old 17 Jul 2009, 22:28 (Ref:2503565)   #42
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some people just can't see beyond the end of their noses. Like it or not, alcohol advertising in sport will stop. The same arguments (for not stopping advertising) were all raised when tobacco advertising was banned - I guess they was successful in preventing the ban from being implemented as well.

Stealthy - YOU may not drink but but I suggest you (and others) do as xrystl suggests - go out and see just what is happening in the real world - not the one you have isolated yourself in because YOU don't drink.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2503587)   #43
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's next in line from the office of banning stuff?

Petroleum products and cars? Lots of people die in car accidents you know, if we stop advertising them then not so many people will die! (Straight to the top of the class for me!! )

Who thinks this crap up? I remember growing up wondering why Brock's signage was on an open wheeler at the supermarket, he didn't drive one of them (McLaren F1 Marlboro Ad) so I clearly recognised the brand.

I have never purchased a cigarette packet!
Old 18 Jul 2009, 00:17 (Ref:2503608)   #44
Bevan-L
Veteran

Australia-Aboriginal
Can-Brah!!
Bevan-L should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IM OUTRAGED!!!!!!!! LOOK AT THIS ARTICLE, BANNING ALCOHOL SPONSORSHIP AND YET LOOK WHATS RIGHT NEXT TO IT IN FULL VIEW........ MOTHER F$%^#!!

I'll post more on this later, gonna go make me a sandwich..... picked up this killer spread at woolies this morning...
Old 18 Jul 2009, 06:30 (Ref:2503667)   #45
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Amazing how many people who say that they don't smoke or drink so it's a waste of time banning alchohol or tobbacco advertising or sponsorship.
Similarly it then becomes very strange that a bunch of very large powerful companies, with huge research budgets, find that it helps them make bigger profits y using sport as a vehicle for promoting their product.
Of course advertising works, if it didn't it wouldn't happen.
Perhaps there is a better way of redistributing income into sport rather than having harmfull products pushed at the more vulnerable people in our society by wealthy companies and overpaid marketing executives?
But then if it was done through taxation that would be attacked too.
What is the Latin translation for "Pull up the ladder Jack, I'm alright". Might make a good moto for some.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2503722)   #46
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
in theory though old tony they are advertising their product. ie if your going to drink drink Jim Beam. does that ad actually make people drink alcohol or does it make people who drink alcohol drink jim beam

it does grate on me though when my kids are talking about the "jim beam" car
Old 18 Jul 2009, 23:56 (Ref:2503980)   #47
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What does the new balance look like?

A prediction for the next item to be smacked around with a ban? Gambling

And what did VESA sign up for at the last round? v8bet.com.au

“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 19 Jul 2009, 04:14 (Ref:2504008)   #48
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
Stealthy - YOU may not drink but but I suggest you (and others) do as xrystl suggests - go out and see just what is happening in the real world - not the one you have isolated yourself in because YOU don't drink.
I know exactly what is happening out in the 'real' world. People making their own decisions.

Perhaps the powers that be should stop trying to make those decisions for people. If someone chooses to smoke, knowingly giving themselves a greater chance of getting lung cancer, so be it. Same with Alcohol, if someone wants to drink, and risks all the diseases related to it, then that is their choice.

I can see things from both sides, the only 'good' reason to ban such advertising is it gives joe public the thinking that the government is doing something. Sorta like all the driving campaigns, nothing they do is reducing the road toll, it just makes people think they are doing something about it (along with manipulating statistics to make it lok like its working)
Just look at how manipulating stats showed that binge drinking was reduced when they put the price up. Load of ****, every one just drank DIFFERENT drinks, they were still getting smashed.
Old 19 Jul 2009, 04:18 (Ref:2504009)   #49
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony View Post
Similarly it then becomes very strange that a bunch of very large powerful companies, with huge research budgets, find that it helps them make bigger profits y using sport as a vehicle for promoting their product.
Of course advertising works, if it didn't it wouldn't happen.
So your saying by stopping advertising in V8s, every single fan will stop drinking? I'm really lmao at this theory. People drink because they want to drink, people smoke because they want to smoke. Peer pressure is how most of these people start it, maybe start tackling peers. Right, no person is allowed within 10 metres of another person incase they influence them to do something 'baaad'...
Old 19 Jul 2009, 08:25 (Ref:2504061)   #50
pascofi m-sport
Racer

Australia
pascofi m-sport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If everyone can please cool off for two seconds, maybe i can shine a light on the problem.

If you take note, some alcohol adverts are now using sportsmen and women to teach people how to socialise responsibly. That should count in favour of the alcohol sponsorship.

Plus, if this bill is passed through parliament (led by the "no brain" Senator from Family First), we should start suggesting new sponsors for all sports. This shouldn't be too hard as we had to do the same thing when they banned tobacco sponsorship.

Hopefully, this should ease some of the tension...