Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Nov 2010, 12:39 (Ref:2794673)   #1
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Valencia could move to Algarve or Aragón

Organisers of the European Grand Prix at Valencia are desperately trying to offload the race contract to an alternate host

Is anyone surprised?
Old 23 Nov 2010, 13:02 (Ref:2794681)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
trouble is, a private promotor can just go bust and default on it. That's a bit difficult for a public corporation.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 14:15 (Ref:2794717)   #3
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I like all 3 of these tracks, believe it or not...

I actually rate the Valencia street track. I know i'm basically alone here, but I love the straights (that arn't straights), and the final sector is absolutely blistering.

Saying that, the other two are fantastic new tracks.

Selby
Old 23 Nov 2010, 15:46 (Ref:2794753)   #4
EGG
Racer

Australia
perth, aus
EGG has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Well, Portimao would get Tilke'd, all the interesting corners might inhibit overtaking and I don't believe Portugal is in the economic position to be bankrolling F1.

However if the motogp was to move from Estoril to Portimao, I'd be pretty happy.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 15:56 (Ref:2794760)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Logistical nightmare.

It'll be too heavy to lift.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 18:55 (Ref:2794827)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I actually rate the Valencia street track. I know i'm basically alone here, but I love the straights (that arn't straights), and the final sector is absolutely blistering.
There are 2 of us then
Old 23 Nov 2010, 19:35 (Ref:2794837)   #7
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess Qatar / Losail would be willing and eager to buy out Camps and the Valencia Marina track to get onto the calendar. I'm not sure if that's a better option, though.

Yet, why waste precious champagne when you can waste precious rose water instead?
Old 23 Nov 2010, 20:29 (Ref:2794867)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Logistical nightmare.

It'll be too heavy to lift.
They wouldn't move it all at once
Old 23 Nov 2010, 20:31 (Ref:2794868)   #9
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why the hell isn't Valencia cut all together? It's more boring than Abu Dahbi.
Old 23 Nov 2010, 20:32 (Ref:2794869)   #10
Matador
Racer

Matador should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
They wouldn't move it all at once
Yes, but then you'd have rising transport (fuel) prices and then that would make it economically unfeasible.

Old 23 Nov 2010, 20:36 (Ref:2794875)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You're right, I'm so stupid.

I like the idea of moving it around every year. However that isn't feasible as the investment in these places for F1 need more than one event to recoup.

(Oh and I like Abu Dhabi)
Old 24 Nov 2010, 03:08 (Ref:2794996)   #12
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
You're right, I'm so stupid.

I like the idea of moving it around every year. However that isn't feasible as the investment in these places for F1 need more than one event to recoup.

(Oh and I like Abu Dhabi)
What infrastructure?
If it has to be errected and taken down each year why not just put it all on a barge and tow anywhere round the world that Bernie needs it.....

He could have a roadshow that is professionally run and provides a street GP to any coastal city thats willing to pay for it, maybe even on a five year rotation basis....
That way each city would only have to stump up 30-40 million once every five years and he could satisfy the needs and aspirations of regional mayors and politicians in five different countries at once...

Old 24 Nov 2010, 07:02 (Ref:2795025)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
What infrastructure?
If it has to be errected and taken down each year why not just put it all on a barge and tow anywhere round the world that Bernie needs it.....

Like a big Scalextric? Think of the size of the hand contollers though.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2795095)   #14
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
The amount of aluminium foil you'd need to keep the track connectors in contact would be prohibitive too, especially after half a dozen setup & takedowns. Those connectors almost always bend, you know.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 12:03 (Ref:2795142)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EGG View Post
Well, Portimao would get Tilke'd, all the interesting corners might inhibit overtaking and I don't believe Portugal is in the economic position to be bankrolling F1.
Portimao is already Grade 1T, so there is little reason it couldn't go straight on the calendar.

The thing with the Valencia race is that - apart from the fact it's a horrible circuit, possibly even to the extent that a race around the monstrosity of a MotoGP track might even be more exciting - once the Fernando Alonso bubble bursts, will Spain be able to justify two races? To be honest I'd like to see neither Barcelona or Valencia on the calendar and go to Motorland Aragon instead (and have a Portugese race in Portimao), but that would never happen as long as Bernie is in control. The amount of bloat races - ones that are just on the calendar because of the sanctioning fee as opposed to any quality racing, motorsport fanbase to buy tickets/merch, historic/glamorous location to drag TV viewers in - is growing, and there are so many countries that do not have GP contracts that should be on the calendar (the USA and Russia are getting theirs, but Poland and Sweden should be on the calendar).
Old 24 Nov 2010, 12:38 (Ref:2795153)   #16
AndyS
Veteran

England
N Yorks
AndyS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More than happy to see Valencia go and would also like to see Barcelona disapear as well. Replace them with Aragon and Algarve (providing they don't alter it). Is'nt Algarve a bit remote though? Don't see why this should be an issue, but I don't think Bernie would like it.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 13:24 (Ref:2795169)   #17
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well I won't miss the Valencia track if it goes. The Aragon circuit looks interesting compared to Valencia.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 13:49 (Ref:2795197)   #18
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW Dan Selby View Post
I love [Valencia's] straights (that arn't straights), and the final sector is absolutely blistering.
Agree with both things. I loved Ö-Ring's not straights too. However, that final sector is great for qualifying, but terrible for races.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster View Post
once the Fernando Alonso bubble bursts, will Spain be able to justify two races?
Surely not. At least that's what happened with the WRC and Sainz. I read Spanish press and forums, and motorsport fan are worried about them just liking big stars. They haven't had a proper touring car championship for a decade. Jarama is dying. They build a circuit every 200km, but they hardly fill them along the year except for MotoGP and WSBK.
Old 24 Nov 2010, 18:08 (Ref:2795318)   #19
EgoSprint
Rookie

Spain
Spain
EgoSprint should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaBUru38 View Post
Agree with both things. I loved Ö-Ring's not straights too. However, that final sector is great for qualifying, but terrible for races.

Surely not. At least that's what happened with the WRC and Sainz. I read Spanish press and forums, and motorsport fan are worried about them just liking big stars. They haven't had a proper touring car championship for a decade. Jarama is dying. They build a circuit every 200km, but they hardly fill them along the year except for MotoGP and WSBK.
I'm sure that when Alonso and may be Alguersuari get out of F1, Spain will concentrate in his next all-winner in any kind of sport, from chess to badminton... Spain is (stupid) different.

Here people are building circuits like there is no tomorrow, but they don't allow to use them for national races, or track days... they only want big names like MotoGP or F1...

Spain is a place where people don't know what is Le Mans (trust me...) and where you can talk about Lotus, and people think that you are talking about watches...

For car-lovers, petrolheads, and so on, like me, this is the f*cked hell... anyway, we will enjoy F1 with great TV coverage until Alonso gets out.

With Miguel Indurain and cyclism went all the same way... lots of TV coverage until we don't have a champion that dominates... then no TV put in prime time the Tour de France...
Old 24 Nov 2010, 19:04 (Ref:2795332)   #20
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Peter, I'm sure you have hands big enough to hold the hand controllers regardless of their size...

Infrastructure of course doesn't include the tarmac, but when you have the temporary buildings, timing gear, barriers etc that are actually manufacturered/built specifically for the event it would make sense to share that stuff.
If you had events in say, Durban, and Veracruz (Gulf of Mexico) even annually moving the stuff from event to event (one early in the year and one later) or turn about year after year, it wouldn't be too hard. It has to be assembled and dismantled and stored anyway.

The tarmac? Anyone can lay tarmac. James May can put away his Scalextric and there will be no cornering of the world market on tin foil.... You'll have to find other ways to finance your racing Greem.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 19:56 (Ref:2795774)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post
What infrastructure?

He could have a roadshow that is professionally run and provides a street GP to any coastal city thats willing to pay for it, maybe even on a five year rotation basis....
That way each city would only have to stump up 30-40 million once every five years and he could satisfy the needs and aspirations of regional mayors and politicians in five different countries at once...

I'm sure that there are one-off costs even on a temporary circuit.

However, I love your idea.
Old 25 Nov 2010, 20:15 (Ref:2795785)   #22
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If F1 goes to Algarve that would be godlike. Provided Tikle stays away from the track, and they build some more grandstands, the race should be great.

The WTCC and GT1 both provided amazing races at the track and I expect the same from F1.
Old 1 Dec 2010, 11:44 (Ref:2798066)   #23
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
I can only follow up on the general view that the Valencia street race going would be a good idea. The layout was a massive opportunity missed and it's only appeal to me was that it looked a lot like one of the street courses that CART used in the 90's like Toronto or Vancouver etc.

Shame is that for Valenica that's two unappealing tracks they have now!

Aragon and Portimao are abolute must additions to the calendar for us fans point of view. Both are excellent circuits and both look like they would allow plenty of overtaking, but even if not F1 cars going round them would be nice enough due to the scenery and undulations both offer
Old 3 Dec 2010, 19:40 (Ref:2799238)   #24
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
How could Valencia could to Algarve or Aragón?

The race may move but the city will stay right where it is!
Old 5 Dec 2010, 10:41 (Ref:2799855)   #25
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
Of course I mean "the Valencia race"... In addition, it attracts uninformed readers!