Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 21 Jul 2012, 05:16 (Ref:3109346)   #26
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by peckstar View Post
haven't you (not a personal attack, just a question to you) in fact dumbed it down by asking that they have a tyre that last for an hour even though the tyre will be well past its best and the racing will be processional and people will think that the racing is boring and so therefore not attend?
Call me crazy but with drivers tyres going off and being past their best this actually promotes overtaking rather than hindering it? Increases braking distances, more cars/drivers on the edge

Much more satisfying than watching some joker on softs overtake another car on hard tyres - is that what the fans/sponsors want

Quote:
We used to do that in the v8 series, but the series realised that it wasn't a good formula for racing
But making each identical to the other is a good formula for racing???
Old 21 Jul 2012, 05:26 (Ref:3109348)   #27
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
thats not what tends to happen, the cars string out and the racing becomes processional, its boring, thats why every major series in the world has pit stops

Quote:
But making each identical to the other is a good formula for racing???
i really dont understand understand your last comment though, thinking it is missing some words?
Old 21 Jul 2012, 06:31 (Ref:3109359)   #28
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
thats not what tends to happen, the cars string out and the racing becomes processional, its boring, thats why every major series in the world has pit stops
Does it? Or is this a result of the car in front being faster than the car behind rather than the racing being processional.

There is a difference between cars not being able to overtake and the car in front being faster.

I am yet to understand how a pit stop aids overtaking or entertainment?

Some series use pit stops as distraction from a lack of competition on track - almost bring resigned to the fact that their on track product is flawed - is this the case with V8SA?
Old 21 Jul 2012, 06:49 (Ref:3109362)   #29
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
Does it? Or is this a result of the car in front being faster than the car behind rather than the racing being processional.

There is a difference between cars not being able to overtake and the car in front being faster.

I am yet to understand how a pit stop aids overtaking or entertainment?

Some series use pit stops as distraction from a lack of competition on track - almost bring resigned to the fact that their on track product is flawed - is this the case with V8SA?
well yes it does make it processional, thats been a common comment by drivers about harder tyres.

pit stops aid overtaking and entertainment by bring a new element into racing, strategy. ist great and it does the opposite to dumbing down racing it makes it smarter, but i acknowledge some struggle with this

no top levell series has pits stop as entertainment, if a series does its because its a stepping stone to longer races
Old 21 Jul 2012, 07:13 (Ref:3109366)   #30
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
well yes it does make it processional, thats been a common comment by drivers about harder tyres.

pit stops aid overtaking and entertainment by bring a new element into racing, strategy. ist great and it does the opposite to dumbing down racing it makes it smarter, but i acknowledge some struggle with this

no top levell series has pits stop as entertainment, if a series does its because its a stepping stone to longer races
Disagree - whats smarter about winning or losing a race in the pits?

What would you prefer - winning on the track or in the pits?
Old 21 Jul 2012, 07:55 (Ref:3109377)   #31
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Disagree - whats smarter about winning or losing a race in the pits?

What would you prefer - winning on the track or in the pits?
Just to be clear, what you and F1Champ are suggesting is the Bathurst is a poor quality race and we should shorten it to 6 or short sprint races without put stops? So that it can be more "pure"
Old 21 Jul 2012, 08:05 (Ref:3109381)   #32
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Just to be clear, what you and F1Champ are suggesting is the Bathurst is a poor quality race and we should shorten it to 6 or short sprint races without put stops? So that it can be more "pure"
Not at all but thanks for coming up with that conclusion.

Bathurst and other endurance races are alot different from standard championship rounds.

That said - hasnt Bathurst descended into 6 or 7 sprint races broken up by Safety cars over the last 10 years
Old 21 Jul 2012, 13:03 (Ref:3109445)   #33
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
Quote:
Not at all but thanks for coming up with that conclusion.

Bathurst and other endurance races are alot different from standard championship rounds.

That said - hasnt Bathurst descended into 6 or 7 sprint races broken up by Safety cars over the last 10 years
why are they different? havent we tried to achieve every race as an endurance race, or at least a mini enduro? races typically run for 1 and half to 2 and half hours now
Old 22 Jul 2012, 10:27 (Ref:3109687)   #34
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerf1champ View Post
Anyway, I was dumb enough to be listening to The Stick Shift this morning. They were talking about problems in the pits with double stacking and what could be done about it. The first thought I had was "Why don't you have races that don't require the need to go into the pits?" Radical idea, I know.
I guess we will see after Abu Dhabi then, I believe there will be two 35 minute races there.
Long way to go for that.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3109715)   #35
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got It. Firstly give 20 points for pole, 20 points for fastest lap, and 20 points for leading a lap. That would stop double stacking.

Then again why doesnt tc get the tracks to make the pits bigger so one pit bay each.

How comes there is any problem at Bathurst when there are 36 Garages, 28 Cars

New pit complex featuring:
36, 8m x 15m deep ground level pit garages (approx four times size of
old pit garages). Features three phase power, communications, secured

Last edited by Downoz; 22 Jul 2012 at 11:21.
Old 22 Jul 2012, 23:33 (Ref:3110061)   #36
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downoz View Post
Got It. Firstly give 20 points for pole, 20 points for fastest lap, and 20 points for leading a lap. That would stop double stacking.

Then again why doesnt tc get the tracks to make the pits bigger so one pit bay each.

How comes there is any problem at Bathurst when there are 36 Garages, 28 Cars

New pit complex featuring:
36, 8m x 15m deep ground level pit garages (approx four times size of
old pit garages). Features three phase power, communications, secured
agreed on the points, will mean cars stay out in the hope of leading a lap rather than be sheep.

Believe pit bays are more around cost to the teams. twice as many rattle guns/booms/air/fuel gantries/crew etc etc
Old 23 Jul 2012, 13:59 (Ref:3110326)   #37
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
why just two races? why not ten?.
More races, even rounds in a series, typicaly lessens the value of a win.

Quote:
haven't you (not a personal attack, just a question to you) in fact dumbed it down by asking that they have a tyre that last for an hour even though the tyre will be well past its best and the racing will be processional and people will think that the racing is boring and so therefore not attend?
In a single tyres supplier series, a hard compund is the best option for no other reason than soft compound, shorter life tyres removes motorsport away from road relevance. The more it does that, the less legitimate a series it is. Soft compound tyres aren't a a desireable outlet for tyre manufacturers to show how good they are.

Do you know why softer compounds existed in the first place? It is to gain a performance advantage over another tyre manufactuer. Tyres are supposed to be durable. 20+ years ago softer compound tyres that were made were actually a balance of performance and durablility. That was a challenge for tyre makers, therefore you could note the best maker. Soft compund tyres with a single supplier is bull**** motorsport. You see it in V8s and F1, a joke.

Quote:
We used to do that in the v8 series, but the series realised that it wasn't a good formula for racing
When?

Quote:
you said you are going to sandown this weekend? notice the size of the crowd and notice the style of racing is more what you are requesting.
The style/type of racing and the size of the crowds have nothing to do with each other. You're off on a tangent there. I go because it is a race meeting and I like motorsport and I like going to the minor meetings more than the big ones, I'd have gone anyway, regardless of the type of racing. I don't even go to the GP. The reason why people would go to a vscrs meet, is because they like motorsport and maybe, they like the relatively casual nature compared to the pros. Or maybe that's just me?

The reason why people wouldn't go to these meets and go to the pros, is because they recognise the pros and are unfamiliar with amateur competition. That's the case with any sport. I'm not sure why you made the comparison, as though their in competition with each other, they're actually not. It's the same reason, in the opposite way, I go to international cricket but not district competition.

Quote:
Crowds want more and motorsport at the top level is partly about giving the crowds what they are looking for in racing, otherwise the sponsors leave.
Crowds/the public got no effin clue. When "the public" say the want more passing for instance, they don't want more passsing. What they want is an honest race and result. We may get "passing" and "pit stops" (what's so interesting about a pit stop?), but the whole nature of racing, through regulation of the cars and the managing of the race has been compromised and is totally ****** up.

*post is subject to editing because it's late and I'm tired.