Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Oct 2013, 23:01 (Ref:3316050)   #1
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
JEV or AFdC

I was just thinking (about if I bought an F1 team, which team it would be, who I'd hire etc etc... anyway ), about if someone came in and bought Toro Rosso (they've been available for a good while now).
Looking at the way Red Bull do business, whoever bought STR would have to have at least one Red Bull driver for a season (like how if you leave Red Bull you generally have to keep their branding on your kit for a year).

It got me thinking about JEV's position in the Red Bull hierarchy at the moment given that he's just been told in no uncertain terms that he isn't good enough.

If it came to it, would Red Bull foist JEV on a team or their rising (though slightly 'dimmed' this year) star Antonio Felix da Costa?
Who do Red Bull rate higher?
Another thing, assuming Felix da Costa is promoted to STR, Vergne realistically has to pound AFdC into the weeds because if he lost that duel he'd be gone, right? Sainz and Kvyat will be eying these seats for 2015.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 07:34 (Ref:3316148)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post

It got me thinking about JEV's position in the Red Bull hierarchy at the moment given that he's just been told in no uncertain terms that he isn't good enough.

Has he been told this? Or just that he's not seen as as good a prospect as Ricciardo?
Old 11 Oct 2013, 08:17 (Ref:3316163)   #3
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I have not seen much difference between the two Torro Rosso drivers in terms of qualifying and race pace. So, if one of them is off to the best car on the grid, the other surely deserves a place in F1 next season as well.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 16:17 (Ref:3316333)   #4
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Hawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHawkwood should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Has he been told this? Or just that he's not seen as as good a prospect as Ricciardo?
They are one and the same.
If Red Bull don't think he is as good as Ricciardo (and plainly they don't) then they do think that his isn't good enough.
If they thought he was good enough then it would be JEV and not Ricciardo who'd be Vettel's teammate next year.

So, do you choose someone who you've already decided isn't good enough, or do you take the next guy coming up the ladder?
Old 11 Oct 2013, 16:19 (Ref:3316335)   #5
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
I have not seen much difference between the two Torro Rosso drivers in terms of qualifying and race pace. So, if one of them is off to the best car on the grid, the other surely deserves a place in F1 next season as well.
I'm not saying he should be given the boot, but there are plenty of drivers who deserve a place in F1, only a few of them get a place.
But if Red Bull could choose only one of JEV or AFdC, who do you think they would/should choose?
Old 11 Oct 2013, 17:53 (Ref:3316370)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But it's not RB choosing for RBR, they're choosing for TR......
Old 11 Oct 2013, 19:22 (Ref:3316397)   #7
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
But it's not RB choosing for RBR, they're choosing for TR......
And the only reason for STR to exist is to bring in drivers for RBR...
So (devil's advocate hat on) if a driver isn't good enough for RBR then why keep him at STR? You've already decided he isn't good enough for the only reason he's there in the first place.

Anyway (normally hat back on), I'm not actually saying JEV doesn't belong in F1, and that's not why I started the thread.

I just wanted to see who people think RB would/should choose out of JEV or AFdC if they could pick only one.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3316399)   #8
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I think people got carried away with the snub idea. Dan has a year's experience over JEV so that's the main reason he was chosen when there's not a great deal between them in reality.

JEV needs to do the best job he can next season to ensure he is all the teams minds not just Marko's
Old 11 Oct 2013, 19:28 (Ref:3316400)   #9
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
fun, mostly irrelevant but vaguely interesting fact: in 2009, jev and antonio felix da costa tied for second in the eurocup.
Old 11 Oct 2013, 19:31 (Ref:3316402)   #10
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
fun, mostly irrelevant but vaguely interesting fact: in 2009, jev and antonio felix da costa tied for second in the eurocup.
You're dead right on all counts!
Old 11 Oct 2013, 21:03 (Ref:3316444)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkwood View Post
And the only reason for STR to exist is to bring in drivers for RBR...
It's a good theory.......
Old 11 Oct 2013, 22:14 (Ref:3316473)   #12
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
RBR, STR, JEV, AdeFC, QPR, ADDC, RSPCA...it's takin' me awhile to decode the dizzying array of acronyms on this thread.

I wonder will DM try to offload STR again this year? Having that team can't have made much sense for him. It gave him Vettel and a win I suppose but he could've easily grabbed Vettel by some other means.
Old 12 Oct 2013, 00:43 (Ref:3316518)   #13
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise City View Post
RBR, STR, JEV, AdeFC, QPR, ADDC, RSPCA...it's takin' me awhile to decode the dizzying array of acronyms on this thread.

I wonder will DM try to offload STR again this year? Having that team can't have made much sense for him. It gave him Vettel and a win I suppose but he could've easily grabbed Vettel by some other means.
Must admit to being a member of the "I hate acronym club".

When they mean something they are good, but when they are just a random collection of alphabet soup ...
Old 12 Oct 2013, 01:31 (Ref:3316528)   #14
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sainz and Kyvat are no where near ready for those spots yet. I don't understand the train of thought that once a driver goes up to the big squad, it's over for the other guy. Remember when everyone the Hartley was a shoo-in for the STR seat in late 2009, then the next year JEV comes in and starts winning and then he was the future. JEV is miles more prepared, and just better overall than Sainz, or Kyvat. He and AFdC is as good of a team as STR could have for sometime. What STR needs is a better car, I'm shocked at how much leash the technical side gets compared to the drivers.
Old 12 Oct 2013, 01:49 (Ref:3316533)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptclaus98 View Post
Sainz and Kyvat are no where near ready for those spots yet. I don't understand the train of thought that once a driver goes up to the big squad, it's over for the other guy. Remember when everyone the Hartley was a shoo-in for the STR seat in late 2009, then the next year JEV comes in and starts winning and then he was the future. JEV is miles more prepared, and just better overall than Sainz, or Kyvat. He and AFdC is as good of a team as STR could have for sometime. What STR needs is a better car, I'm shocked at how much leash the technical side gets compared to the drivers.
To me, JEV looks pedestrian up against Ricciardo, therefore time to move on!
Put Sainz and Kyvat in together at STR.

The real trouble with all these driver conundrums is the inability to compare them properly in testing!

Testing - another serious problem that needs addressing!
Old 12 Oct 2013, 02:44 (Ref:3316543)   #16
ptclaus98
Veteran

United States
ptclaus98 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JEV hasn't looked much worse than Ricciardo at all. As a matter of fact, until Ricciardo got some carrot waved in front of him with the threat of Raikkonen taking a seat he thought was going to be his, you could argue that JEV was doing better.
Old 12 Oct 2013, 02:54 (Ref:3316546)   #17
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
JEV hasn't looked much worse than Ricciardo at all. As a matter of fact, until Ricciardo got some carrot waved in front of him with the threat of Raikkonen taking a seat he thought was going to be his, you could argue that JEV was doing better.
Quali 16-3 and 10 - 4

The cars run different strategies in the races, so the results are very difficult to compare. Pace in quali is a pretty clear indicator though, not perfect granted, but when it is so decisively biased ...

P.S. I highly respect your opinions, so I am really interested in your logic, not starting a mud fight!
Old 12 Oct 2013, 06:49 (Ref:3316592)   #18
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Well with Mr Key and some decent technical bods coming on board in recent times, we should expect to see that team do an even better job next year!
Old 12 Oct 2013, 11:11 (Ref:3316647)   #19
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
as someone who likes drivers who *race* like their lives depend on it, i wholeheartedly agree.

but i think the jev vs ricciardo debate (which has soooo been overdone now) is a polariser between people who like fast drivers, and people who like good racers.

don't know if anyone read the helmut marko piece in autosport the other week, but it's a good context to view the retention of vergne in.
Old 13 Oct 2013, 13:40 (Ref:3317146)   #20
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Quote:
It's a good theory.......
So why do Toro Rosso exist?
Old 13 Oct 2013, 15:55 (Ref:3317219)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Good question.

But if they're there to feed RBR, they've done that with Ricciardo. It would be good (from my point of view) to replace Vettel with Vergne, but there was only one place to fill.....
Old 21 Oct 2013, 21:44 (Ref:3321331)   #22
Hawkwood
Veteran

United Kingdom
Warrington
Well, I guess Antonio Felix da Costa wasn't the correct answer after all...
Old 21 Oct 2013, 22:07 (Ref:3321341)   #23
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Now is JEV or DK.
Old 21 Oct 2013, 22:53 (Ref:3321362)   #24
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Good question.

But if they're there to feed RBR, they've done that with Ricciardo. It would be good (from my point of view) to replace Vettel with Vergne, but there was only one place to fill.....
This is RBR and not Williams we are talking about!
Old 21 Oct 2013, 22:56 (Ref:3321363)   #25
wnut
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
as someone who likes drivers who *race* like their lives depend on it, i wholeheartedly agree.

but i think the jev vs ricciardo debate (which has soooo been overdone now) is a polariser between people who like fast drivers, and people who like good racers.

don't know if anyone read the helmut marko piece in autosport the other week, but it's a good context to view the retention of vergne in.
I'd say if you can't catch him, you can't race him!

Qualifying out of position and gradually making your way through the field, does not constitute racing!