Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Feb 2004, 22:20 (Ref:878741)   #1
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Dutch chap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom Coronel as no 3 for Minardi

It seams Tom Coronel (full name Tom Romeo Coronel, twin brother of Tim Alfa Coronel), so we all know what his (their) father liked to race, is suddenly in the picture as no 3 driver for Minardi. Tom has won the Japanese F3, after that the Formula Nippon title and he won the Zandvoort Masters as well. A very nice guy, was in the picture 2 years ago to pick up a Minardi seat, didn’t get it, went back to touring cars, did ETCC with Carly Motors (BMW) and is, surprisingly, back in the picture.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 23:25 (Ref:878823)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He'd be a good choice - a talented driver.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 23:31 (Ref:878833)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its pretty amazing, that with all the good drivers going without an F1 ride this season, that a virtual unknown like this guy would get a shot at a seat. It is only a third seat at Minardi, but with guys like Wilson and Firman leaving F1, probably forever, how did this guy come to get it?

Danica Patrick
Old 18 Feb 2004, 23:35 (Ref:878837)   #4
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tom Coronel did beat Firman in the Formule Nippon chapionship, he won the championship in 99 in his 2nd year, Firman won the championship in his 5th year.

so why do you think Firman is better, just because he's Brittish??
Old 18 Feb 2004, 23:42 (Ref:878853)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Calling someone a "virtual unknown" just shows you haven't been looking very far.

His track record is very good.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 00:18 (Ref:878888)   #6
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
Tom Coronel did beat Firman in the Formule Nippon chapionship, he won the championship in 99 in his 2nd year, Firman won the championship in his 5th year.

so why do you think Firman is better, just because he's Brittish??
Ummm, I'm not British, and I don't have a problem with Dutch drivers. You really shouldn't assume things. Does that cover that?

I thought that both Firman and Wilson afforded themselves well in there time in F1. Its alittle tough to show what you can do in such lousy cars, but both did well enough to get another shot, which sadly neither will probably get now. We'll gladly take them both here in America, where there headed, and I'm from.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 01:11 (Ref:878918)   #7
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Whats the deal then . Does Verstappen's manager get 30% of what Verstappen gets or is it 30% of the budget that TRUST have available ? It surely cant be the latter cuz Mr.Manager would be on more wedge than Verstappen ! But the figure of 3 million for MrManager has been mentioned , Verstappen cant surely earn 7 Million !!!!!
Old 19 Feb 2004, 06:55 (Ref:879037)   #8
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by The Badger
Whats the deal then . Does Verstappen's manager get 30% of what Verstappen gets or is it 30% of the budget that TRUST have available ? It surely cant be the latter cuz Mr.Manager would be on more wedge than Verstappen ! But the figure of 3 million for MrManager has been mentioned , Verstappen cant surely earn 7 Million !!!!!
Erm, you sure your'e in the right thread buddy? :confused:
Old 19 Feb 2004, 15:51 (Ref:879442)   #9
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Coronel heading for 3rd Minardi seat

Dutch racer Tom Coronel is heading for the 3rd Minardi seat, with backing from Wilux.

Wilux are currently close to becoming Minard's title sponsor for 2004, using Coronel for national promotion, whilst using the teams Italian links and driver to promote their new Italian based business.

Story here:http://www.f1racing.net/news.php?ID=69063
Old 19 Feb 2004, 15:56 (Ref:879446)   #10
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
http://www.pitpass.com/news2/news.cfm?newsid=8656

But then again there are reports that he may not be.....
Old 19 Feb 2004, 16:29 (Ref:879482)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Third seat to Glock; end of the story.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 16:31 (Ref:879485)   #12
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What?
Glock drives for both Jordan AND Minardi?!
Old 19 Feb 2004, 16:49 (Ref:879500)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Confusing !

I heard that Glock bloke would be in a Jordan !
Old 19 Feb 2004, 16:52 (Ref:879504)   #14
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Glock will be 3rd driver of Jordan.

Coronel will be 3rd driver of Minardi, but Stoddart is still negotiating with Chinese sponsors and if they get an agreement Coronol will be not 3rd driver.

It's a weird year for Dutch F1 racing.

Last edited by FIRE; 19 Feb 2004 at 17:00.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 18:04 (Ref:879554)   #15
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GP Racer

I thought that both Firman and Wilson afforded themselves well in there time in F1. Its a little tough to show what you can do in such lousy cars, but both did well enough to get another shot, which sadly neither will probably get now.
GP, the issue is that both Firmin and Wilson are too experienced to qualify for the third seat on any team as the new FIA rules on third drivers dictate. As neither landed a race seat, they were both effectively barred from F1. Coronel, not having been in F1 last season, has the acceptable level of inexperience to drive the third Minardi on Friday mornings of race weekends.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 20:07 (Ref:879691)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
True EERO, and it's a sad situationreally. Thsi rule has come in at the wrong time for Ralph and Justin, but maybe if some of this year's rookies lose their drives after one season (which seems to be the current trend, drivers aren't being given enough time to develop by sponsorship-hungry teams - Sato and Massa got their first chances too soon but are lucky to get a second crack), they will suffer the same fate next year.

As for Coronel (great stat as to his name there - just like Jarno Trulli (after a Finnish rally driver) and Jenson Button (after the Jensen sportscars - note the Anglicised spelling), they were pretty much groomed to be racing drivers before they were walking), he's good, and probably deserved to get an F1 chance sooner. Going from Touring Cars back to single-seaters is unusual, although Fisichella, Brundle and Berger have all made it work, and I hope he does well. As an aside, won't this make him the first Jewish F1 driver since Riccardo Rosset?
Old 19 Feb 2004, 20:12 (Ref:879697)   #17
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's called 'backing' GP Racer...in his case spelt...$W$I$L$U$X
Old 19 Feb 2004, 20:19 (Ref:879702)   #18
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
Quote:
As an aside, won't this make him the first Jewish F1 driver since Riccardo Rosset?
Why is this worth mentioning? Do they drive different?
Old 19 Feb 2004, 20:57 (Ref:879749)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm sure Boots just meant it as an interesting aside. The same as saying something like 'isn't he the first driver from Sweden since...', or 'first driver with red hair...', or 'first driver who is called James since...' (you get the idea!).

As for whether Tom Coronel should have the drive. Well why not? He has achieved more than a lot of the third drivers! A few championships and the Marlboro Masters. The main aspect is that a lot of this was some time ago since his main single seater career. http://www.coronel.nl/tom/EN/index.htm
However he has a broad range of experience and excelled in F3 (Japanese F3 champion despite missing rounds to compete at Monaco (led) and the Masters (won)).

I'm not saying he is the greatest thing since sliced bread, far from it, but I think it is unfair to brandish him with the usual brush just because a bit of backing got his foot in the door.

I predict that third driver for Minardi is as high as it gets for him F1 wise, but that is not because he didn't deserve a better chance.

From what little I know of him, he seems to be a decent chap too.
Quote:
http://www.f1racing.net/news.php?ID=69063
"About two weeks ago Mr Wildschut [Wilx director] called me to talk. He explained to me he wants to stay in Formula 1 but also likes to see a Dutch driver at the Minardi team to use for National promotions. Of course I'd be the last person to say 'no' to such an offer!"
Old 19 Feb 2004, 20:58 (Ref:879750)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

I was wondering why he'd asked that too. I don't know or care what religion any driver is.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 21:14 (Ref:879774)   #21
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did'nt even know Tom was Jewish, is he??(not that it matters, but I never heard anything about it)
Old 19 Feb 2004, 21:35 (Ref:879817)   #22
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Heck. I didn't know Rosset was Jewish!!!!
Old 19 Feb 2004, 21:39 (Ref:879822)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

As it should be. Religion is of no relevance to his racing career.
Old 19 Feb 2004, 21:39 (Ref:879824)   #24
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
According to Minardi Tom Coronel will be NOT Minardi's 3rd driver. Coronel will only drive the car a few times on request of Wilux. Source: http://www.f1news.nl/index.php?id=2296
Old 19 Feb 2004, 21:53 (Ref:879836)   #25
Dutch chap
Veteran

European Union
Holland
I'd like to see Boots explaining what he meant. I suppose it wasn't meant as I saw it, but please explain.