Closed Thread

Old 3 Jul 2007, 09:46 (Ref:1953218)   #1
davec
Racer

United Kingdom
davec should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari dismiss Stepney/McLaren suspend Coughlan

From Autosport.com

Nigel Stepney, the engineer at the centre of a legal enquiry over possible sabotage at Ferrari, has now been dismissed by the Maranello team.

The Ferrari stalwart, who was viewed as one of the key figures in the resurrection of the Italian outfit's fortunes over the past decade, is under investigation by the Modena district attorney amid claims he sabotaged the Ferrari cars prior to the Monaco Grand Prix.

The exact details of the case are not known, but it is understood that it revolves around a tampering with the fuel tanks on the F2007s before they were shipped to Monte Carlo for May's race.

I really didnt believe it when i read last week that he was being investigated. i thought it would just blow over like in normally does.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 09:50 (Ref:1953226)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
surprise
Old 3 Jul 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1953329)   #3
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He was already on 'Gardening leave' already?

Maybe now the door is open to join Honda or Toyota (I forgot who was courting him) now instead of the end of his contract?
Old 3 Jul 2007, 11:51 (Ref:1953349)   #4
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm confused... why would he sabotage the fuel tanks?
Old 3 Jul 2007, 11:54 (Ref:1953351)   #5
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevp
I'm confused... why would he sabotage the fuel tanks?

Innocent until proven guilty but...

The theory that seems to be going round (paddock sources...who else?) is that he was unhappy at Ferrari because his career wasn't moving forward and he wasn't offered promotion.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 11:57 (Ref:1953352)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And wasn't allowed to leave for Honda by the big wigs if you believe the rumours.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 12:19 (Ref:1953363)   #7
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
F1 Racing readers can turn to page 129 of the latest issue to see Stepney giving a special message to Todt and Montezemolo.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 13:28 (Ref:1953407)   #8
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is a really bizarre one. Tampering with race fuel is almost impossible to do and its inconceivable that someone of Stepney's experience and stature would attempt something so amature if he did indeed want to sabotage Ferrari.

If he does have an Italian employment contract, and the criminal investigation clears him, he will have the mother and father of cases against the Scuderia. Italian employment law is very strong on the side of the employee and you sack people there at your peril... I speak from experience !
Old 3 Jul 2007, 13:35 (Ref:1953413)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was jsut thinking that Davy. Besides, if he's found guilty, the recompense to Ferrari would be far in excess of a few months' wages. Will be intersting to see hwo the court case unfolds.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 13:51 (Ref:1953424)   #10
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It will be interesting to see how the case goes, but in the past, corporate espionage and/or sabotage has extremely difficult to pin on a single individual.

Whatever the circumstances, we don't know anything really at this time, its a very sad way for Stepney's career at Ferrari to end.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 14:57 (Ref:1953465)   #11
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I forget who made the analysis, but apparently Ferrari have been sending some mixed messages on what the inquiry into Stepney is. The teams PR guys have said one thing, and Todt has said another. Apparently its to the degree that if Stepney's guilty, then the shame on him will be enough he'll likely be unable to find employment elsewhere. If he's not found guilty though, it could fall back on Todt.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 15:10 (Ref:1953473)   #12
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
If he does have an Italian employment contract, and the criminal investigation clears him, he will have the mother and father of cases against the Scuderia. Italian employment law is very strong on the side of the employee and you sack people there at your peril... I speak from experience !
Only problems are:

1. Ferrari/FIAT own the Italian legal system where they are concerned;

2. it takes years in Italy to get anywhere.

However he might choose to sue in England...

Litigation! Woo!!!
Old 3 Jul 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1953538)   #13
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
A McLaren statement

McLaren have said they have suspended a senior technical employee after discovering that he had received information from Ferrari.

The Formula One team confirmed in a statement: "McLaren became aware on July 3, 2007 that a senior member of its technical organisation was the subject of a Ferrari investigation regarding the receipt of technical information.

"The team has learnt that this individual had personally received a package of technical information from a Ferrari employee at the end of April.

"Whilst McLaren has no involvement in the matter and condemns such actions it will fully co-operate with any investigation.

"The individual has in the meanwhile been suspended by the company pending a full and proper investigation of the matter. No further comment will be made."
Old 3 Jul 2007, 16:41 (Ref:1953539)   #14
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren suspend senior employee

For alleged spying. Apparently, the Ferrari investigation has included evidence that a senior McLaren employee recieved a "package" of information from a Ferrari employee. McLaren suspended the employee whilst the investigation is ongoing.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60464

Could Stepney's charge be related to giving McLaren information?
Old 3 Jul 2007, 17:25 (Ref:1953568)   #15
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Source please Brands?
Old 3 Jul 2007, 17:37 (Ref:1953574)   #16
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
its true. It will be on the news site shortly
Old 3 Jul 2007, 17:42 (Ref:1953580)   #17
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Motorsport.com has it that Stepney has left (which I presume to mean resigned) of his own accord. Which is very different to being sacked.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 17:47 (Ref:1953582)   #18
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
http://www.mclaren.com/latestnews/mclaren.php
Old 3 Jul 2007, 18:36 (Ref:1953612)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
autosport says he was dismissed by Ferrari, after they completed their own internal investigation.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60448

I'm still baffled by all this. I just hope Stepney is found innocent.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 18:45 (Ref:1953618)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This kind of thing is all the rage these days!

And sad to hear.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 19:13 (Ref:1953645)   #21
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Something similar in the Star/Reuters
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport.htm...EN-FERRARI.XML

and now autosport have gone further:
http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/60466

Last edited by TWRv12; 3 Jul 2007 at 19:16.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1953650)   #22
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
McLaren losing their chief designer has gotta hurt Lewis and Fernando's hopes. He would have been the guy they were relying on to push forward the development of the car, so without him where are McLaren going to be for the rest of the season?
Old 3 Jul 2007, 19:22 (Ref:1953653)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

This is insane. Mike Coughlan and Nigel Stepney? Dear god!

McLaren shouldn't be hit too hard schead. They are a design committee, rather than a one man band. Although it hardly helps matters of course.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 19:26 (Ref:1953656)   #24
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
insane indeed!

it will be interesting if this was the aspect that first got Ferrari looking into wrong doing, and its certainly to their advatage to make this as difficult for Mclaren as possible.
Old 3 Jul 2007, 19:26 (Ref:1953657)   #25
TWRv12
Veteran

TWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWRv12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe less so at McLaren and where they say its more of a team effort. Soon find out if thats true.

Seems a bit dumb to be caught red handed, when the whole farce in Italy kicked off over a week ago.

Did they work together at Arrows or Benetton?

Could FIA now be in play?

Last edited by TWRv12; 3 Jul 2007 at 19:29.
Closed Thread