Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 18 Dec 2003, 22:26 (Ref:815610)   #26
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
but it does look like it is about that distance....Pesca's is a lot less...a lot...

I think endplates (with excpetion of Lister) are going to turn out like the R&S endplates next year...

They certainly imporve the airflow over and under the wing, and they alleviate the turbulence caused byt the small endplates without them....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 18 Dec 2003, 22:34 (Ref:815622)   #27
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A bit OT, but go read the ACO rules - are these endplate extensions required on new cars?

Last edited by paul-collins; 18 Dec 2003 at 22:35.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 19 Dec 2003, 03:08 (Ref:815727)   #28
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by paul-collins
A bit OT, but go read the ACO rules - are these endplate extensions required on new cars?
I've not read the regs, but an ACO spokesman said a while back that endplate extensions like on the Audi would be a requirement on 2004 spec cars.

Audi argued that as well as improving performance they also increased the stabilitiy of the car and would reduce the risk of a side on flip as happened to Alboretos car in testing.

Also is it now confirmed that new 2004 spec LMP1s will have 180cm rear wings, not 200cm as stated at the begining of the '2004 regs released thread'.

If I'm not mistaken Pescarolo ran his car with an interim 2004 spec rear wing in testing for evaluation purposes. He was considering running it in 2003. If he was prepared to run this wing is it really such a disadvantage compared to the 'old' rear wings, with development and fine tuning of course.

Finally with regard to AMT discussing the requirments of a new tub for Hybrid cars. Was this discussion not about converting an old car to 'full' 2004 spec., at a time when hybrid cars were not on the agenda, just granfathered cars? I seem to remember the discusion was about 2004 cockpit regs which were very differnt to the 2003 spec cars and would require a new tub. However the ACO have now said this requirement is not needed in Hybrid cars.
Old 19 Dec 2003, 09:13 (Ref:815872)   #29
Fieldgate
Racer

Fieldgate should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reg's for 'old' cars (ie '04 for 900, 675, GTP's) does not mention a "must" for endplates. However, it does say they "may touch the bodywork but must not transfer any load to it" (3.6.4c.7).

With umpteen kilo's of downforce acting on a wing, I'd be interested to see how they regulate against that one....my simple mind says maybe this would implicitly outlaw endplates, but maybe I'm reading too literally ?

Interested to hear a designer's viewpoint.