Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 9 Dec 2017, 19:49 (Ref:3786043)   #1451
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Likely it could be an old engine, but to take part to a test with a close to end lifespan engine is a reg. violation?

"Different cylinder's size, and different compression"
well... not the best idea for an endurance engine.... it would be critically unstable. Remind me a year in GT1 when corvette racing was able to turn off 4 cylinders during FYP at le mans and the engine basically blew because of this.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3786058)   #1452
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Yeah, I don't think they'd take an engine before the test was over, unless there was an express rules violation, or a strong, credible suspicion of such conduct.

You do wonder at least a little about WTR's performance in 2017, even compared to the other Cadillacs.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 21:09 (Ref:3786063)   #1453
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
Yeah, I don't think they'd take an engine before the test was over, unless there was an express rules violation, or a strong, credible suspicion of such conduct.

You do wonder at least a little about WTR's performance in 2017, even compared to the other Cadillacs.

I thought about this many times. But I think that with the BoP changes after Daytona , the Taylor brothers found a great setup (mostly for Ricky) using less rear wing to avoid understeer. In the next races the faster Ricky was, the slower Jordan was, and that's the reason that makes me wonder about all this. The other two Cadillacs couldn't compete for the pole while Ricky was driving.

I think next year will be another story because of the new splitter from the Dallara base car, at least this is my theory.
Old 9 Dec 2017, 22:37 (Ref:3786070)   #1454
airbusA346
Veteran

England
Staffordshire, UK
airbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridairbusA346 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Full season GTD entry for Wright Motorsports with a Porsche. Drivers are Patrick Long and Christina Nielsen.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/1...a-in-2018.html
Old 10 Dec 2017, 00:21 (Ref:3786083)   #1455
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
at the end, Christina's got a gun (quite not difficult with her wallet)
Old 10 Dec 2017, 01:19 (Ref:3786091)   #1456
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by airbusA346 View Post
Full season GTD entry for Wright Motorsports with a Porsche. Drivers are Patrick Long and Christina Nielsen.

http://www.dailysportscar.com/2017/1...a-in-2018.html
That is good news, I was wondering where she would end up. Good to see Wright commit to a full season too.
Old 10 Dec 2017, 08:40 (Ref:3786108)   #1457
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaglia View Post
Likely it could be an old engine, but to take part to a test with a close to end lifespan engine is a reg. violation?

"Different cylinder's size, and different compression"
well... not the best idea for an endurance engine.... it would be critically unstable. Remind me a year in GT1 when corvette racing was able to turn off 4 cylinders during FYP at le mans and the engine basically blew because of this.
It wasn't a blown engine if it's the same incident I'm thinking of (Le Mans 2007), cutting cylinders caused vibrations that shook a new carbon fiber propshaft to pieces even at SC speeds.
Old 10 Dec 2017, 14:50 (Ref:3786136)   #1458
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Yep, Corvette was running displacement on demand that year. It's common on road cars now, but it's not seen much application in racing, probably because of issues that Corvette were having. They had problems also with one car at St. Petersburg during the ALMS race there that year with a broken driveshaft.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 12:47 (Ref:3786534)   #1459
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
It wasn't a blown engine if it's the same incident I'm thinking of (Le Mans 2007), cutting cylinders caused vibrations that shook a new carbon fiber propshaft to pieces even at SC speeds.
That was exactly it and they were caught driving the car back to the pits on the starter motor because the engine had cut out and the driveshaft couldn't spin the engine to restart. Apparently they mounted the starter to the rear end housing not the engine, probably makes for faster changes than punching holes in Oreca bodywork for the starter hammer.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 17:47 (Ref:3786598)   #1460
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Corvettes also had a transaxle gearbox back then (and had since '01) which is probably why the starter was mounted there. Of course, the ACO officials didn't like what they were trying to do and made them stop the car.

BTW, anyone know or think anyone's running DOD on current prototype or GT engines? I haven't heard of its use since a decade ago when Corvette tried it and gave up on it after LM.
Old 12 Dec 2017, 18:01 (Ref:3786603)   #1461
canaglia
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Corvettes also had a transaxle gearbox back then (and had since '01) which is probably why the starter was mounted there. Of course, the ACO officials didn't like what they were trying to do and made them stop the car.

BTW, anyone know or think anyone's running DOD on current prototype or GT engines? I haven't heard of its use since a decade ago when Corvette tried it and gave up on it after LM.

unlikely, and not for just reliability issues, but I guess it doesn't worth because of bop. In GTE each car has different fuel tank size to guarantee the same 60-65 minutes stint lenght for everyone.
If a car is able to save somehow some fuel, there will be a likely fuel tank cut next races
Old 12 Dec 2017, 18:32 (Ref:3786615)   #1462
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
Only problem with BOP is that you can't judge how many yellows there will be in a race or how long they might last.

I'd bet that teams would rather shut off their cars and coast than use displacement on demand (which comes with its own risks). If you have a V8, turning it into a big inline 4 or V4 won't help with NVH (noise/vibration/harshness).
Old 12 Dec 2017, 20:40 (Ref:3786650)   #1463
canaglia
Veteran

well; ford, bmw, ferrari and aston could turn off turbos in the meanwhile. Just in theory of couse.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 18:39 (Ref:3787079)   #1464
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Just an fyi.

Check the "IMSA Official" YouTube channel. Yesterday, they posted up six races: GTP Watkins Glen 1989 and '91-93, GTP Mid Ohio 1993, and GTP Sears Point 1989. Up to now, today, they've added GTP Road America 1993.

Also, last week, Marshall Pruett of RACER posted GTP Charlotte 1985, and yesterday, he added GTO Mid Ohio 1990 to his YouTube channel.

Have fun.
Old 14 Dec 2017, 19:55 (Ref:3787092)   #1465
Damian Baldi
Veteran

Argentina
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Damian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDamian Baldi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Just an fyi.

Check the "IMSA Official" YouTube channel. Yesterday, they posted up six races: GTP Watkins Glen 1989 and '91-93, GTP Mid Ohio 1993, and GTP Sears Point 1989. Up to now, today, they've added GTP Road America 1993.

Also, last week, Marshall Pruett of RACER posted GTP Charlotte 1985, and yesterday, he added GTO Mid Ohio 1990 to his YouTube channel.

Have fun.
Thanks for sharing ! I took this week off !
Old 17 Dec 2017, 18:26 (Ref:3787733)   #1466
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Just an fyi.

Have fun.
I saw the 1993 Watkins Glen and Road America races in the past couple days.. It was cool to see the GTS cars in particular. I loved the Nissan 300ZX. Olds was cool too. Unfortunate that Nismo does not build the new GT3 car with those styling and paint looks. A GTE Nismo could go by that theoretically.

Hopefully IMSA official will post races from the mid to late 90's as well. Not because I love the WSC class. No I hated them. But I loved GTS/GT1 back then. Nissan 300ZX was the first GT car I feel in love with, then came the Lister Storm, then Panoz GTR1, then Porsche GT1.
Old 17 Dec 2017, 18:28 (Ref:3787734)   #1467
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Will be cheering for the Porsches or Risi Ferrari to win the Daytona 24. The later because if they are in championship contention after the 36 hours of Florida, then perhaps they can get funding to run the full season. Otherwise I can see them taking off races in the mid season again and only come back for the fall stretch.
Old 18 Dec 2017, 02:20 (Ref:3787795)   #1468
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Yeah, I'd really like to see Risi keep up a full-time effort. It would also be kind of nice if AF Corsa, Scuderia Corsa, or whoever, would bolster the Ferrari contingent over here.

As for IMSA in the '90s, from the early GTS class, my pick is probably the Mustang driven by Tommy Kendall.

As for WSC, the drop in performance from GTP didn't help, but perhaps worse was the fact that a number of the cars just weren't that inspiring to look at. There were too many Riley & Scotts and Kudzus to be balanced out by the Ferrari 333SPs, Spice AK93/HC94/SC95/BDG-02 Oldsmobiles, and the lone Gunnar Porsche 966.

Speaking of that convertible 962, is it just me, or was the Ascari A410 LMP900 a Lola T92/10 with the roof chopped off?

As for the coming season, I'm waiting to see how the RLL BMW M8s look in their actual racing livery.
Old 18 Dec 2017, 16:08 (Ref:3787892)   #1469
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Yeah, I'd really like to see Risi keep up a full-time effort. It would also be kind of nice if AF Corsa, Scuderia Corsa, or whoever, would bolster the Ferrari contingent over here.

As for IMSA in the '90s, from the early GTS class, my pick is probably the Mustang driven by Tommy Kendall.

As for WSC, the drop in performance from GTP didn't help, but perhaps worse was the fact that a number of the cars just weren't that inspiring to look at. There were too many Riley & Scotts and Kudzus to be balanced out by the Ferrari 333SPs, Spice AK93/HC94/SC95/BDG-02 Oldsmobiles, and the lone Gunnar Porsche 966.

Speaking of that convertible 962, is it just me, or was the Ascari A410 LMP900 a Lola T92/10 with the roof chopped off?

As for the coming season, I'm waiting to see how the RLL BMW M8s look in their actual racing livery.
That's essentially exactly what it was.
Old 18 Dec 2017, 19:10 (Ref:3787917)   #1470
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Gainsco to sponsor JDC Miller. 99 Red Dragon ORECA.
Old 18 Dec 2017, 20:26 (Ref:3787939)   #1471
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Gainsco to sponsor JDC Miller. 99 Red Dragon ORECA.

Yippee!!

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ga...of-red-dragon/

http://www.racer.com/imsa/item/14634...er-motorsports
Old 18 Dec 2017, 20:31 (Ref:3787941)   #1472
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I feel like it would be a good setup for a joke. A Red Dragon and a Banana Boat walk into the paddock at Le Mans...
Old 18 Dec 2017, 20:35 (Ref:3787942)   #1473
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I feel like it would be a good setup for a joke. A Red Dragon and a Banana Boat walk into the paddock at Le Mans...
Mustard and Ketchup for the Sahlens Six hour, how apt!
Old 18 Dec 2017, 21:01 (Ref:3787945)   #1474
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Michael Shank Racing - Acura NSX GT3 - Lawson Aschenbach / Justin Marks + Come Ledogar + Mario Farnbacher
Michael Shank Racing - Acura NSX GT3 - Alvaro Parente / Katherine Legge + AJ Allmendinger + Trent Hindman

MSR Lineups complete. Two 2017 Mclaren drivers...
Old 18 Dec 2017, 21:36 (Ref:3787950)   #1475
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
While I'm happy to see Gainsco on the old 85, I will lament the loss of the OG Banana Boat.