Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 30 Nov 2007, 21:29 (Ref:2079014)   #26
Colin_M
Rookie

Colin_M should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
do you reckon if i wrote to teams they would let me help out or would they not reply?
Old 30 Nov 2007, 21:34 (Ref:2079020)   #27
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I am at lackham at moment, if i go on to 2 year course I will be at combe

James
Old 1 Dec 2007, 11:13 (Ref:2079279)   #28
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably they would not reply - its worth a try - I did the same when I was 16 and ended up in a F1 team
Old 1 Dec 2007, 11:13 (Ref:2079280)   #29
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
do it - the course is excellent and the staff are first rate
Old 1 Dec 2007, 13:12 (Ref:2079327)   #30
Rubinho
Racer

United Kingdom
Cambridge, UK
Rubinho should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Mods is it worth merging all the student threads together (there are likely to be more)?
Please! Also I think it's probably worth having a sticky FAQ type article containing a list of motorsport courses at all levels and a quick guide on the best ways of getting experience with a team. I used to answer these topics regularly but got tired of it so haven't recently. TBH I think that anyone should at least try the search forum feature, plus Google and maybe turned up at a few circuits with CVs (it's how a lot of us on here including myself got jobs) before asking a question here.
Old 1 Dec 2007, 14:40 (Ref:2079351)   #31
schumy7
Rookie

schumy7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the Input. It seems like more and more people are telling me that getting the connection is very important. Since there aren't many motorsport activities in Canada, I don't have too much motorsport connection so far.
I'm not sure how much connection is there between these masters program and the industry. I know this question depends on how active you are and so on. But in general, is it hard to know people working in the indutry?
Old 1 Dec 2007, 17:33 (Ref:2079436)   #32
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by schumy7
Thanks for the Input. It seems like more and more people are telling me that getting the connection is very important. Since there aren't many motorsport activities in Canada, I don't have too much motorsport connection so far.
I'm not sure how much connection is there between these masters program and the industry. I know this question depends on how active you are and so on. But in general, is it hard to know people working in the indutry?
Or move to Moorsville, NC. Heart of all the NASCAR race shops and now many GrandAM teams.

There are also the Grand Am boards and ALMS boards that have Help wanted section and Position needed sections. Post your info on those two boards would help.
Old 1 Dec 2007, 22:38 (Ref:2079552)   #33
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
nascar ? god yea they are very aero!!

connections are the key, but u need the info too, and a will to learn, no point going to a uni and expecting to be taught, u have to learn!!!
but im sure u know that, if u wanta nice job u gotta earn it.
Old 2 Dec 2007, 13:41 (Ref:2079900)   #34
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by THR
nascar ? god yea they are very aero!!
NASCAR teams spend a lot of time in the wind tunnel. Moorsville NC has two Commercial and one private ( Penske ) Wind Tunnels. SO Three wind tunnels in one town.

Besides it takes a lot to make a BRICK aero.....
Old 2 Dec 2007, 14:29 (Ref:2079917)   #35
Colin_M
Rookie

i will contact a few team before the season starts. I know the f1 team will not reply but i might try the small ones and maybe a few le mans teams.
Old 2 Dec 2007, 18:23 (Ref:2080007)   #36
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget historic racing. They won't be able to pay in most cases but you will get valuable experience.
Old 2 Dec 2007, 23:28 (Ref:2080175)   #37
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin_M
i will contact a few team before the season starts. I know the f1 team will not reply but i might try the small ones and maybe a few le mans teams.
Before the season means NOW. Teams are very busy now rebuiding cars at the race shops.

No offence and I do hope you get hooked up, but ppl who help at the shop are the first to be asked to help at the track.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 12:36 (Ref:2080585)   #38
Colin_M
Rookie

i am not looking to get paid, i would help any team for free.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 13:04 (Ref:2080604)   #39
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I think I am not going to try and get any work experience for the moment. As I have tried some places and they are not intrested or dont even reply, and I have myself a Christmas job.

But I already have been offered a few race teams but they are just for race meetings, not avainable to help, as alot of them are small family run teams.

Any suggustions

James
Old 3 Dec 2007, 19:56 (Ref:2080894)   #40
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Look here for http://www.racingjobs.com/

Found an Aerodynamicist Position too
Quote:
Description

To further strengthen the Aerodynamic team, this Formila 1 team is looking for a qualified creative and forward thinking individual in the field of aerodynamics.

"Aerodynamicist is needed
to work with a team of engineers, who are involved in projects from concept through to testing to final product definition.

The position will involve leading a team of Aerodynami-cists and Model Designers, working with the CFD Group and interacting with other Groups within the Company.

This F1 team is currently involved in the construction process of their own state-of-the-art wind tunnel. The construction should be finished in 2003 and this is the reason why they are looking for more engineering staff capacity.

Job location: Hinwil, Switzerland - Europe.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 3 Dec 2007 at 19:58.
Old 3 Dec 2007, 21:24 (Ref:2080938)   #41
Locost47
Racer

England
Locost47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Look here for http://www.racingjobs.com/

Found an Aerodynamicist Position too

This F1 team is currently involved in the construction process of their own state-of-the-art wind tunnel. The construction should be finished in 2003 and this is the reason why they are looking for more engineering staff capacity.
Erm, does this site get updated frequently?
Old 3 Dec 2007, 21:36 (Ref:2080951)   #42
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locost47
Erm, does this site get updated frequently?
Who knows. But better then looking on a forum . . .
Old 4 Dec 2007, 12:55 (Ref:2081367)   #43
Locost47
Racer

England
Locost47 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Who knows. But better then looking on a forum . . .
Agreed, i was just joking about how the advert you quoted was from 2002!
Old 4 Dec 2007, 16:05 (Ref:2081456)   #44
UNiiQU3
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheshire
UNiiQU3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hiya guys. Another ambitious teenager here.

I'm at an important time of my life for choosing an career path, and as you have guessed already I'm looking to seek a career in the motorsport sector.

I'll try and keep this short for you all, because I know a lot of people ask the same old stuff.

I have narrowed down my search for universities to Oxford Brooks and Hertfordshire University to study Motorsport Engineering or Technology, mainly because I have read on forums such as this that they are the two most highly regraded uni's offering this course.

Ultimately I'm looking for a hands on technician job in a competitive saloon (btcc, wtcc, dtm) or single seater championship (champ car, a1gp, gp2, wsr, f1 would always be nice)

Advice would be great about my degree and uni choices and your personal experiences.

Regards,
Tom
Old 4 Dec 2007, 16:35 (Ref:2081479)   #45
flavorPacket
Rookie

United States
Ann Arbor, MI
flavorPacket should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does anyone here know the typical career path for a vehicle dynamics engineer in F1? Can people go straight into such a position from school?

For example, my friend and I will both have a masters in Mech Eng with a thesis in vehicle dynamics very shortly, and we have no idea how to get from here into a decent racing job (i.e. F1 or high-end sportscar). There are plenty of options in OEM/consulting companies, but that just doesn't cut it for us.

--Claude Rouelle
Old 4 Dec 2007, 16:46 (Ref:2081485)   #46
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi UNiiQU3 I am currently half way through my first year of Motor Sport Engineering at Brookes.

To be honest if you want a practical hands on job in the industry (i.e. mechanic) then a B/MEng course is a waste of time. The course is entirely aimed at design engineers rather than technicians. You would be better off applying for the Motor Sports technology courses that are more (but not much) practical based. But really the best thing you could do if you want to become a technician is to do some form of apprenticeship where you will learn on the job. Most mechanics have gone through that route.

Generally though I was in the same position as other people to post in this position, searching for a weekend or summer job for a racing team. I am lucky because I managed to get my job and I have learned a huge amount and had a great time doing it.
My main tactic was to write tons of letters. I wrote to every team or supplier in Britainoften more than once. Most people will either ignore you or send a polite 'we'll keep you details' letter. But some will reply giving some advice or if you're lucky someone will offer you a position.

Sorry if thats a bit long. If you have any more questions though don't hesitate to ask.

Ranald
Old 4 Dec 2007, 17:11 (Ref:2081498)   #47
UNiiQU3
Rookie

United Kingdom
Cheshire
UNiiQU3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Ranald, thanks for the quick reply.

I have considered an apprenticeship but feel after doing my A-Levels it might be a step down because I could have taken an apprenticeship straight after my GCSE's.

I will be trying my best to get some work with the teams in the summer. I've got a good contact with Oliver Jarvis's PR advisor and she has arrange for me to meet him and the team at A1GP Brands next year.

Could experience in motorsport it's self and a motorsport degree offer me a job as a technician?
Old 4 Dec 2007, 17:54 (Ref:2081540)   #48
Ranald
Racer

England
Oxford
Ranald should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNiiQU3
Could experience in motorsport it's self and a motorsport degree offer me a job as a technician?
It could but really a B/MEng degree would make you overqualified (if thats possible) for a technicians role. The main problem with Uni' degrees is that (extremely frustratingly) they offer very little in the way of practical learning with is vital if you want to work in motor racing but particularly as a technician. A BSc is a little better but won't really be enough.
Your contact sounds pretty promising make sure you talk to all of the team members and find out who is in charge of hiring.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 18:13 (Ref:2081551)   #49
Colin_M
Rookie

What about the national college for motorsport? A think you can do a 1 or 2 year course and get offered a job at the end.
Old 4 Dec 2007, 19:43 (Ref:2081593)   #50
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorPacket
Does anyone here know the typical career path for a vehicle dynamics engineer in F1? Can people go straight into such a position from school?

For example, my friend and I will both have a masters in Mech Eng with a thesis in vehicle dynamics very shortly, and we have no idea how to get from here into a decent racing job (i.e. F1 or high-end sportscar). There are plenty of options in OEM/consulting companies, but that just doesn't cut it for us.
Pratt & Miller over in New Hudson MI has engineering openings
http://www.prattmiller.com/employment.php

Riley Technologies in Moorsville NC
http://www.rileytech.com/contactus.asp

Good Luck with your search