Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 11 Jun 2008, 20:01 (Ref:2226214)   #76
RichardScott
Rookie

RichardScott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am 22 years old and have just finished a three year course studying Motorsport & Powertrain Engineering BEng (Hons) at Coventry University and expect to graduate with a 2:1. From this I am progressing to the Motorsport Engineering MSc course, and during the summer months I am seeking a practical position within a race team to further my motorsport experience.

During my final year I have played a key role in the Peugeot 206 project which competes in the CSCC Tin Tops. I took on the role of team leader, holding the responsibility of organising the development, build and preparation of the car. I possess a high level of practical skills and have experience with all aspects of engine development, race car set up, test days and race events.

I am based in Coventry with my own transport and I am prepared to travel. If you require any other information please feel free to PM me.

Thanks.
Old 14 Jun 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2228365)   #77
schumy7
Rookie

schumy7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a serious decision to make. I'm choosing from a Msc Motorsport Engineering in Cranfield University or a PhD aerodynamics project in Imperial College. I have the offer from Cranfield already but not from IC yet.

My question is what is a typical career path of a PhD in Motorsport, especially in aerodynamics? The thing I am afraid of is that after my PhD program, I still won't have much experience in any part of a racing car except aerodynamics. I don't want to stay in University and do research as my career.

Thanks for any input!!! I would really appreciate it!!
Old 20 Jun 2008, 21:40 (Ref:2233769)   #78
matt4
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
matt4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How far can a BSc get you in a F1 team?

Anyone have a BSc here?

Thanks
Old 22 Jul 2008, 14:20 (Ref:2255936)   #79
Bishop Ranter
Racer

United Kingdom
Whittlebury
Bishop Ranter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Schumy7

I picked up your email. I work at Cranfield and was very involved in the early days of the MSc Motorsport Engineering and Management, getting the course up and running and building links with the sector. I am not as involved these days but do know that a fair % of Cranfield students secure positions in motorsport, including F1 teams. This said the MSc course doesn't guarantee a job and nor does a PhD. Both can provide platforms/channels but it is down to you to make the most of any opportunity you get. At Cranfield you will come into contact with people in motorsport with influence and your project work should also attract interest from prospective employers. You will get a technical overview and the insight into management over the 12 months. There aren't many institutions that can rival Imperial College (in my opinion one of the best universities) and a PhD relevant to motorsport aerodynamics should serve you in good stead, especially if the project is aligned to a team. However, you have to make a massive commitment for three years to get the most from the opportunity. And you will be locked into an aerodynamics related role for a number of years after that. Horses for courses, the choice is very much yours. Both have their virtues. Good luck whatever route you decide to take.
Old 4 Sep 2008, 09:53 (Ref:2281479)   #80
sadi.mc
Rookie

sadi.mc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey

I am starting the Automotive and Motorsport Engineering course at Brunel this October.

Does any1 know about any Graduate Schemes run by large motorports teams or manufacturers?
Old 7 Sep 2008, 17:44 (Ref:2283708)   #81
littlefarny
Rookie

United Kingdom
England
littlefarny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadi.mc
hey

I am starting the Automotive and Motorsport Engineering course at Brunel this October.

Does any1 know about any Graduate Schemes run by large motorports teams or manufacturers?
Which one are you doing? The Automotive Engineering and Motorsport ones are different (they even follow slightly different routes, so swapping isn't really cricket)
Oh, and we start on the 29th September
Old 6 Oct 2008, 18:13 (Ref:2305524)   #82
bf1
Racer

Ireland
Waterford, Ireland / Swansea, Wales
bf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi I'm Brian, I'm 21, have two years of Mechanical Engineering done in Waterford Institute of Technology and now I'm on the HND Motorsport Engineering programme in Swansea Metropolitan University.

I'm looking for a placement oppurtunity within a company / team that designs & develops either rallycars / hillclimb cars / touring cars / GT's / Sportscars ect.. Actually anything is considered

I do not have my own transport and I'm based in Swansea.

If anyone want to contact me, send a PM.

Thanks,
Brian Fenton.

P.S The dates are the 18th of May to 26th of June '09
Old 16 Oct 2008, 02:28 (Ref:2313526)   #83
Corey Melton
Rookie

Corey Melton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Corey Melton Motorsports

Hello everyone,

I'm an engineering student over here in the states. I'm working hard both in the classroom and on the track in order to become a race car engineer. I decided that having a website that showcases myself and my abilities would only help me make my start in motorsports professionally.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would check out my site. Feel free to leave me a message on my guestbook, join the forums, or send me an email.

http://www.coreymeltonmotorsports.com

Thanks!

Corey Melton
Old 4 Nov 2008, 07:38 (Ref:2327612)   #84
ant
Rookie

United Kingdom
wickford, essex
ant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hello
sorry to go digging up a bit of an old thread but i could really do with some help here, i am now in my last year of senior school and am due to leave in june.
i am wondering what is my best option of a route to take to get in to motorsports, ideally i would like to go into chassis and suspension design and manufacture.
i wasnt actually aware about how many different uni's offered motorsport courses, i thought it was only really swansea and cranfeild that did them.

i wasnt planning on doing A-levels , but like a lot of people say 'doing BTEC's are the easy option, and A-levels are proferred by employers'
wich is probably perfectly true.

so i can do my A-levels, and then go on to do a Bengs in motorsport engineering, but as has been explained above this isnt really a hands on course, so would it still be appreciated by employers??

Also what uni would you guys reccomend for doing this course at?

or any other advice for a possible career path to take?

i already have quite a lot of practical experience and im gaining more all the time
Old 19 Dec 2008, 02:47 (Ref:2358019)   #85
matt4
Rookie

United Kingdom
London
matt4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never heard anyone say BTECs and Diplomas are a easy option. They are up to A-level standard. I would recommend doing a engineering diploma before heading into university and doing a engineering degree as you will have knowledge of engineering in place.

I did a national diploma in mechanical engineering and it has helped me no end with my course at university. I was already able to read engineering drawings and do some mechanics calculations before entrance so you gain quite a lot on others who just have A-levels thus the first year shouldn't be too difficult.

Running a A-level in physics or maths alongside the diploma, or even taking a additional module in your diploma would go nicely with it.

I recommend Oxford Brookes but then again I am biased as I attend Brookes!
Truthfully you won't find better engineering facilities anywhere. The new technology labs are state of the art and you won't find anything better in the country or probably the world. There are plenty of companies linked to motorsport around. You got Williams, Force India, Renault, (BMW car factory) etc not far a way. This is "Motorsport Valley". Racing is in the blood here.

There is a open day in February (can't remember the dates) it might be worth attending

Thanks
Old 29 Dec 2008, 09:28 (Ref:2362180)   #86
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
ubrben has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't want to sound like the merchant of doom, but has anyone thought about the current financial crisis and how it will affect motorsport?

Rumour I heard last week is thast Renault F1 sacked their whole test team and cut salaries. The pool of qualified engineers with F1 experience who don't have a job is pretty high right now.

If I was in my early twenties I'd be looking at a back up plan and perhaps staying in education a little longer to hopefully hit the job market when things (hopefully) start to improve in a few years time.

Ben
Old 26 Jan 2009, 15:10 (Ref:2379650)   #87
TomBE
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
TomBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello all

Last year i graduated as a Bachelor of Science but i decided to continue my studies as a Master of Science in Automotive Engineering in Antwerp.

I do not yet have any experience in racing, therefore i ask if some of you know any teams/companies situated in my area (Belgium, France, Netherlands, Germany, or even GB) - willing to study the language ofcourse (which i partially know already) - where i can apply to for either starting job or vacation job.

My guess is that most teams, and therefore also more students in motorsport tech., are situated in GB, but that the market is saturated because of the crisis. Is this also the case at the other side of the channel?

thanks by advance
Old 29 Jan 2009, 22:59 (Ref:2382352)   #88
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBE
I do not yet have any experience in racing, therefore i ask if some of you know any teams/companies situated in my area (Belgium, France, Netherlands, Germany, or even GB)
http://jorge.segers.googlepages.com/

Ben
Old 30 Jan 2009, 19:08 (Ref:2382800)   #89
TomBE
Rookie

Belgium
Belgium
TomBE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben
thanks a lot!

mail has been sent
Old 13 May 2009, 20:10 (Ref:2461937)   #90
a5100274
Rookie

a5100274 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Advice please...

Hi all,

I have an interview coming up for the Motorspot Eng. MSc at Cranfield am and after some advice from anyone who has been interviewed for a Motorsports Master. I have already started swating up on technical aspects, and prepared evidence of motorsport related experience, but would be greatful if anyone one could tell me what to expect in the interview? I'm quite nervous, as I really want on this course, so all help welcome...

Thanks a lot,

Andy
Old 11 Jun 2009, 23:29 (Ref:2480643)   #91
Audi S1
Racer

Audi S1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Members Needed

I currently run various race cars in the UK.

Both in rallying, rallycross and circuit racing.

Am looking for enthusiastic individuals to form part of the team, gaining experience at race tracks event management and car maintenance.

Also looking for a college or university who would be interested in a few motorsport projects including building cars up from scratch, with parts supplied.

Also set up and general maintenance of cars is available.

Please contact me on:

john@johnrook.orangehome.co.uk
or pm me
Old 22 Jun 2009, 14:50 (Ref:2488365)   #92
SnappySnap
Rookie

Wales
Emigrated to Glastonbury
SnappySnap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi everyone, this thread is very helpful indeed! I've just got a letter through the post for an interview for the First Diploma in Motorsport Engineering at Lackham college now i'd really love to do this and then go on to do the National Diploma. What I want to know is what sort of options or career paths would be open to me at the end of it? would I be better off not doing the course at Lackham instead study for an Access Course and then attend university?

What would be the pro's and con's of both?
Old 25 Jun 2009, 16:22 (Ref:2490540)   #93
Jamesd
Racer

Jamesd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi

I am currently attending Wiltshire college I have done the FD course and have just finished my first year of national diploma

If you would like any more details or to ask my advice on the college/course

email me on james.dicks@ntlworld.com

James
Old 29 Jun 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2493208)   #94
Monstrobolaxa
Rookie

Monstrobolaxa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubrben View Post
Rumour I heard last week is thast Renault F1 sacked their whole test team and cut salaries. The pool of qualified engineers with F1 experience who don't have a job is pretty high right now.
I confirm it...I work with one of the guys from the Renault test team! Whole team sacked...
Old 26 Jul 2009, 15:53 (Ref:2508406)   #95
SamWaters
Rookie

England
West Sussex
SamWaters should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am currently doing an apprenticeship in mechanical engineering - producing and servicing Combined Heat and Power Units (CHP). I have about 12 to 18 months left to go.

Since I was younger I have always wanted a career in the motorsport industry, and that ambition has stuck with me since.

I do have some motorsport experience as I did one week work experience with a company that was looking after and running a Lister Storm Jaguar GT Car, and was invited back for the school summer holidays. I also marshal all forms of motorsport, from events at Brands Hatch, to the Goodwood Festival of Speed and motocross events.

I live in West Sussex, and have tried applying to any local teams that I can find, unfortunately with no luck.

Does anybody else have any ideas?

Thanks
Old 14 Sep 2009, 14:15 (Ref:2540477)   #96
ubrben
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamWaters View Post
I am currently doing an apprenticeship in mechanical engineering - producing and servicing Combined Heat and Power Units (CHP). I have about 12 to 18 months left to go.

Since I was younger I have always wanted a career in the motorsport industry, and that ambition has stuck with me since.

I do have some motorsport experience as I did one week work experience with a company that was looking after and running a Lister Storm Jaguar GT Car, and was invited back for the school summer holidays. I also marshal all forms of motorsport, from events at Brands Hatch, to the Goodwood Festival of Speed and motocross events.

I live in West Sussex, and have tried applying to any local teams that I can find, unfortunately with no luck.

Does anybody else have any ideas?

Thanks
You need to be a hell of a lot more specific.

If you want to be a data / race / design engineer in any top level motorsport you need a mechanical engineering degree of some description.

If you want to do aero you'll need an aeronautical engineering degree of a lot of thermo-fluids specialty within a mech eng degree.

If you don't want to do a degree you're limited to mechanic or technician roles, but even then they'll probably be up against HNC / HND etc

If you want to be useful to a race team a truck license would be a good idea.

Ben
Old 12 Oct 2009, 09:18 (Ref:2559566)   #97
jetblackonetenth
Rookie

jetblackonetenth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Advise / Thoughts

I wonder if anybody has any experience on the following.

My son completed 13 GSCE’s at the age of 14 and left school and is now in his second year at Myescough college doing a National Diploma in Motorsports at which he is predicted to obtain a Distinction.

He would like to eventually be a race engineer in F1. He is particularly interested at the moment in Data logging/acquisition although he is very good at the other disciplines.

He has been interested in Motorsport for a long time and has an active part our part time/hobby race team. Where we have built and raced TVR Sagais race cars in Britcar GT.

For a 15 year old he is very mature and gets on well with the older students on his course who are 17/18.

Problem now is when he finishes in July 2010 the natural progression would be to go to university. However they have said there may be a problem with his age (social wise). They have also said he should look at doing a Mechanical Degree rather than a Motorsport Mechanical Degree (because of his grades)

Does any one have any thoughts etc.
Old 30 Oct 2009, 12:15 (Ref:2572465)   #98
PeterGrant
Rookie

United Kingdom
Oxford/East Sussex
PeterGrant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I am currently in my final year of an automotive MEng at oxford Brookes; in addition I’ve done a year’s placement at WilliamsF1, and was there again over the last summer in the design office.

What I would say is, with the amount of experience your son has already in motorsports, is to steer clear of automotive/motorsport courses, at least ones from the newer universities, like oxford Brookes, as these places are more about learning how to do a job, then the fundamentals of engineering. You could say that they are more practical. If I had the drive during GCSE's and a levels, leading me to have a better set of grades, hindsight says I would have gone to a mechanical engineering degree, at UCL or something like that.

As for age at a univ, I assume he will be 16, approaching 17, come the start of the univ year in 2010? It might be worth holding out a year, otherwise he might miss the social side of univ, although of course this is not what univ is about, but I do think it helps to enjyo that side while he can.

Hope this helps.
Old 14 Nov 2009, 15:41 (Ref:2581911)   #99
ansen
Rookie

ansen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi, my name is ansen. I am Hong kong people.I would like to apply the MSc of race car aerodynamic at Uni. of southampton. but i afraid after graduation i can't find any job in england or in motor sport team.
i would like to ask is it a good way to study this course and will the motor sport team hire the chinese guy??
thank you very much
Old 1 Dec 2009, 23:08 (Ref:2592578)   #100
wills
Racer

wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some teams will employ foreign students, some won't. The more teams you ask the more likely you will get a job. Don't just go for race teams either, there are loads of companies which have close relations to Motorsport especially in the engineering/automotive/aerospace sector.

With the Motorsport industry being as it is where most jobs aren't advertised you gonna need to build your contacts with people. To avoid not getting a job after graduation you will need to actively search for one whilst you are studying(internet is a very poor way of doing things in Motorsport btw).