Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 8 Aug 2010, 19:54 (Ref:2741525)   #76
tzei
Racer

Finland
Finland
tzei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks Denis

But wouldn't a breather line without a valve be able to let positive pressure out from engine (->oil tank ->catch tank/ atmo) and then supply some air when scavenge side is pulling all it can out.

If breather line is closed by vacuum operated valve wouldn't this cause more negative pressure in crankcase as scavenges do what they supposed to do i.e. suck oil and air as much they can. I mean doesn't air has to come somewhere or there will be huge neg. pressure and normal shaft seals lets go before that happens (i've read).

But this is again me thinking without having done it...

And what you have sounds good: a valve lets positive pressure out and then restriction (needle valve?) in a breather line to adjust negative pressure.
Old 8 Aug 2010, 20:07 (Ref:2741538)   #77
greenamex2
Veteran

England
Hertfordshire
greenamex2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tzei View Post
Thanks Denis

But wouldn't a breather line without a valve be able to let positive pressure out from engine (->oil tank ->catch tank/ atmo) and then supply some air when scavenge side is pulling all it can out.

If breather line is closed by vacuum operated valve wouldn't this cause more negative pressure in crankcase as scavenges do what they supposed to do i.e. suck oil and air as much they can. I mean doesn't air has to come somewhere or there will be huge neg. pressure and normal shaft seals lets go before that happens (i've read).

But this is again me thinking without having done it...

And what you have sounds good: a valve lets positive pressure out and then restriction (needle valve?) in a breather line to adjust negative pressure.
You have got it!

The valve I use is a disc valve (open or closed). The second breather just has a lump of ali with a hole drilled in it insterted into the pipe. You could do something clever with a needle valve but I tend to find clever things break a lot!
Old 8 Aug 2010, 23:51 (Ref:2741659)   #78
tzei
Racer

Finland
Finland
tzei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank You!

Agree about clever things As one chap put it rather well: "keep it simple and stupid". Well... i'm beyond that point on my build - maybe last part applies.
Old 26 Jun 2012, 09:10 (Ref:3098271)   #79
oldracer
Rookie

oldracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do you possibly have photos of the neater cooling shrouds out of aluminium sheet ?(I have 109E in my Lotus 22)
Thank you,
Phil