Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Aug 2006, 20:08 (Ref:1671425)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Overtaking and corners/curves/hairpins

An interesting article and diagrams about the tracks influence on the dreaded subject.http://www.crash.net/news_view~cid~1...4864~pid~0.htm
Old 2 Aug 2006, 20:24 (Ref:1671452)   #2
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some crazy ideas there, but i don't really think that circuits should be chopped and changed just for F1, as the circuits often host a whole range of other events through the season.

As i've said before, it's the cars that nheed to be changed, rather than the circuits. Espeically the brakes, they are too good at the moment, and as a result the braking zones are far too short to allow anyone to have a good go at overtaking. Look at the GP2 cars, there's tons of overtaking in that series.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 20:35 (Ref:1671464)   #3
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No, I can't agree with a word of that. Artificially altering the track is going to do no good, because ten years from now, braking zones are going to be even shorter and entry speeds are going to be even faster, making any ridiculous adjustments like these obsolete again. Besides, it would only work on flat corners, and the last thing F1 needs are more Tilke-Rings.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1671468)   #4
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
It is an intersting article, though.

However, yes, I would agree, you would think that altering the cars would be the simplest approach.

Apparently, though, this is something of an impossible task.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 21:14 (Ref:1671502)   #5
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Single wing elements and a ban on chassis-derived aero devices is impossible?
Old 2 Aug 2006, 21:33 (Ref:1671514)   #6
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Oh, I don't mean technically impossible. On the contrary.

It is what makes it so damn frustrating.
Old 2 Aug 2006, 21:53 (Ref:1671542)   #7
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean that the teams will always squabble about it, making it practically impossible to get anything done?

Well, atleast we'll be getting real slicks soon...
Old 2 Aug 2006, 23:53 (Ref:1671635)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky

Hopefully combined with less downforce,or at least some means of letting the car behind get closer.

But as Dutton has suggested this is almost politically impossible.The top teams have spent huge sums of money on wind tunnels and they are not going to relinquish that advantage to the likes of Midland and Super Aguri.

Wasn't this thread about track design.Ahh yes,straight going into a hairpin,no good unless it's on a low downforce circuit,and there aren't too many of those about.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 02:02 (Ref:1671682)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Cut down on the amount of aero devices, wings,winglets, horns...I want to see racing and passing and not in the bloody pits because it makes it the pits.. what the teams have spent on wind tunnels is not our problem..
Old 3 Aug 2006, 04:23 (Ref:1671740)   #10
Schummy
Subscriber
Veteran

Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!Schummy has a real shot at the podium!
Or (in a sort of homage to thread starter) schedule races in rainy locations (monsoon seasons, tropical jungles, ...) . If necessary, suspend races if conditions are unaceptably dry. Why not snowy races? I am sure bridgestone can make snow tyres for F1

If teams want tons of downforce, so be it, let's see how they manage to run in Bangladesh within a monsoon rain!
Old 3 Aug 2006, 04:34 (Ref:1671745)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
I've often wished that they would organise the season according to rainy seasons. This would be particularly good in years with a tyre monopoly.

I remember Ferrari testing one day when a little bit of snow fell. Also, there was some promotional thing back in the day when Mika took Erja out for a spin somewhere in Finland in full blown snow conditions. Didn't it snow at the Swedish GP in '78? Obviously, the snow thing is not viable, but is cool, . The rain one, though, to my mind, is perfectly viable. Regarding the aerodynamics/downforce thing...I really don't understand why the FIA can't just force something through under "safety".

Anyway, I guess getting back on topic wouldn't hurt!

The problem is that the one system that can aid ovetaking in terms of tracks design (tight hairpin to straight to tight hairpin) is also jsut about the most tedious. It is a bit of a double edged sword.

In general I would much rather watch a race with no overtaking but a wonderful track than a pretty dull track with a lot of overtaking. Perhaps the best solution is a meld of two? Have it so each track has one specifically designed tight hairpin-straight-hairpin style section included, but the rest of the track being solely dedicated to being fantastic irrespective of its overtaking potential.

Last edited by Dutton; 3 Aug 2006 at 04:42.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 09:52 (Ref:1671937)   #12
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm not that sure on this: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86518
Old 3 Aug 2006, 09:59 (Ref:1671941)   #13
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just make the brake discs and pads half the size
Old 3 Aug 2006, 10:57 (Ref:1672002)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest

I would imagine that Bridgestone can introduce any type of tyre they like so long as it does what it's supposed to do.No need to keep the grooves if you have a control tyre.

GP2 originally had grooves,but now Bridgestone have put them on slicks.Much better,both from a driving point of view and aesthetically as well.
Old 3 Aug 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1672273)   #15
goodhorsehymn
Racer

goodhorsehymn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting article, thanks
Old 3 Aug 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1672320)   #16
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Well, they couldn't introduce slicks in 2007 unless it is agreed by all teams. The FIA, I am sure, would be happy to oblige in such a situation.

The regulations still state grooves.
Old 4 Aug 2006, 05:19 (Ref:1672778)   #17
Obi Offiah
Rookie

Obi Offiah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Some crazy ideas there, but i don't really think that circuits should be chopped and changed just for F1, as the circuits often host a whole range of other events through the season.

As i've said before, it's the cars that nheed to be changed, rather than the circuits. ........
I agree. I've never heard any comments regarding lack of overtaking in GP2. In my opinion the problem with F1 is where and how the cars generate downforce. I personally believe it is possible to maintain current levels of grip, downforce and braking performance, but still greatly improve overtaking.

Obi
Old 5 Aug 2006, 03:48 (Ref:1673694)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Welcome Obi...
Old 6 Aug 2006, 06:12 (Ref:1674604)   #19
Obi Offiah
Rookie

Obi Offiah should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Welcome Obi...
Why thankyou Jeremy.

Cheers
Old 6 Aug 2006, 07:52 (Ref:1674637)   #20
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obi Offiah
I agree. I've never heard any comments regarding lack of overtaking in GP2. In my opinion the problem with F1 is where and how the cars generate downforce. I personally believe it is possible to maintain current levels of grip, downforce and braking performance, but still greatly improve overtaking.
And I agree with you. Ever since 1994, they have done everything in their power to slow the cars down. All they have managed to do is make the racing less exciting on track with less of the big overtaking moves and more pit strategy stuff.

Bring back the slicks and make the aero rules to allow a package that gives teams decent aero but with less of the dirty air that makes it hard to get closs and pass. If they can get mechanical grip and aero grip sorted out to good levels you'll have good grip all over the track, which should allow drives to feel a little more confident to try that big lunge or to duck under the other car or whatever.

Not that I really know what I'm on about.