thanks to F1 racing magazine for sending out their new mag 1 day early

https://twitter.com/#!/LookBackTime/...41926215266306

very strange nose indeed
Old 25 Jan 2012, 13:09 (Ref:3016760)   #2
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weird looking car that. Still looks a little 'chunky' to me...hope they make the jump into the midfield this time around...
Old 25 Jan 2012, 13:24 (Ref:3016769)   #3
Ingsy
Racer

Ingsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haven't the regs changed regarding nose height this year? I seem to remember hearing something about it over the winter. I suspect a number of cars will have high noses this season.

Not sure about the 'step' where the suspension meets the chassis though...
Old 25 Jan 2012, 13:30 (Ref:3016776)   #4
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ugly beast.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 13:33 (Ref:3016778)   #5
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
barnettracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 25 Jan 2012, 13:35 (Ref:3016782)   #6
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
oh bless. it's not really much of a looker, is it?

wonder what effect those horns will have on front wing and wheel visibility?
Old 25 Jan 2012, 13:51 (Ref:3016789)   #7
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
oh bless. it's not really much of a looker, is it?

wonder what effect those horns will have on front wing and wheel visibility?
Are they not at the same height as a 2011 nose though? I thought this trend we are going to see of cut-out front noses was to meet new 2012, low-nose regulations? Therefore, visibility should be the same.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 14:44 (Ref:3016817)   #8
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnettracing View Post
Are they not at the same height as a 2011 nose though? I thought this trend we are going to see of cut-out front noses was to meet new 2012, low-nose regulations? Therefore, visibility should be the same.
that's true, fair play. it does seem to be in exactly the wrong place for visibility though

the back end is just a repainted red bull though. pity.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 16:16 (Ref:3016867)   #9
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame

The downhill continues, a few years ago the races might've been boring but at least the cars remained semi-good looking for the eye. Now races are dull and cars even duller, if possible! Horrendous
Old 25 Jan 2012, 16:23 (Ref:3016873)   #10
gustavobamba
Veteran

Portugal
Viana do Castelo
gustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgustavobamba should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
OMG
Old 25 Jan 2012, 13:39 (Ref:3016783)   #11
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Catherham now also realeased 1 official pic

it was supposed to be a "teaser"
Old 25 Jan 2012, 13:55 (Ref:3016792)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The maximum nose height has been reduced from 625mm to 550mm for 2012. Looking at the new Caterham, that doesn't seem to have gone far enough in order to avoid some ugly solutions.

"3.7.9 No bodywork situated more than 1950mm forward of rear face of the cockpit entry template may be more than 550mm above the reference plane."
Old 25 Jan 2012, 16:41 (Ref:3016887)   #13
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'n not sure that step is that severe ... it look like they have kept the height of the sides up at cockpit level all the way down to the suspension , but it appears to hollow out down to the centre. This I'd imagine would channel/scoop air up and over the cockpit.

Having said that I'm sure the join from the suspension area could have flowed down onto the nose could have been done in a much smoother fashion.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 16:54 (Ref:3016901)   #14
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
A new kind of ugly.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3016943)   #15
GolddustMini
Veteran

GolddustMini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wouldnt want to be on the bottom tier of a grandstand, think of the cascade of vomit caused by those vile noses.

yuck

what a horrid looking solution, surely they could have written the rule change better to prevent the teams just taking a plane to the top of the noses to step them down
Old 25 Jan 2012, 18:47 (Ref:3016954)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
One day, F1 cars could look like this:

But the only way to get an F1 car to look like that would be to build the car as depicted in the picture, and not use a set of regulations.

In the meantime, it's function over form that wins the day.

Ferrari doesn't look that bad.

Last edited by Marbot; 25 Jan 2012 at 18:54.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 19:46 (Ref:3016985)   #17
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

But the only way to get an F1 car to look like that would be to build the car as depicted in the picture, and not use a set of regulations.nn

Noticed how you see it from an angle that doesn't emphasize the nose? If even the Scuderia has given birth to a munter, we may spend the year wishing the grid girls were a bit fatter.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 23:53 (Ref:3017133)   #18
andy666
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire
andy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridandy666 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post

But the only way to get an F1 car to look like that would be to build the car as depicted in the picture, and not use a set of regulations.

That top pic, the first thing that struck me was the low profile tyres, would that ever be possible ? looks great !!!!! Just seen the story on BBC sport F1 page , according to Gary Anderson the noses on all the cars could look similar to the Caterham , FUGLY !!!! I know the cars are not entering beauty contests but they dont need to look like a Platypus !! Bring back the nose off the 09 Brawn !!!
Old 25 Jan 2012, 19:25 (Ref:3016975)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It looks like the cars from the movie "Cars" just missing the eyes and the lips !
Old 25 Jan 2012, 22:11 (Ref:3017071)   #20
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks like Caterham have given the driver a bench to sit on just before the front suspension..........F1 plummets to new depths in ugliness.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 22:35 (Ref:3017085)   #21
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks fine to me. F1 cars never were supposed to look nice. I'ts just an aero device surely? The nose isn't part of the car, it's just a bolted on aero device.

F1 cars have always looked different. We've just grown accustomed to the ''typical'' single seater shape.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3017117)   #22
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTrapezeArtist should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The only ugly racing car is the one that's not fast enough.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 23:28 (Ref:3017122)   #23
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapezeArtist View Post
The only ugly racing car is the one that's not fast enough.
Well this is one of the 'new' teams. So we'll soon find out...

Although racing cars have never (and should never) been form over function, there is something brutally ugly about many new F1 cars. The 10ft+ wheelbase probably doesn't help.

For someone who has grown up entirely with these type of cars, I have never endeared to them or found them pretty. I've always been drawn to historics instead.

If you are interested in wings, get involved in aviation, in my opinion.
Old 25 Jan 2012, 23:33 (Ref:3017125)   #24
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Certainly the long wheelbase doesn't help. For me, the best looking cars were the ones from 1990-1993. Short wheelbases, wide track, wide tyres, elegant looks. Awesome.
Old 26 Jan 2012, 00:03 (Ref:3017135)   #25
barnettracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dorset
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
Certainly the long wheelbase doesn't help. For me, the best looking cars were the ones from 1990-1993. Short wheelbases, wide track, wide tyres, elegant looks. Awesome.
There are too many. 1962 Lotus 25, 1965 BRM P261, 1973 Tyrrell 006, 1974 Brabham BT44, 1988 McLaren MP4/4, 1991 Jordan 191 or 1992 Williams FW14B. In any particular order and I couldn't cut them down to any fewer; I was born too late (1990).

But, I suppose that is for another thread. C.Scarborough has certainly mentioned that Mercedes-style wide, flat noses are going to be in vogue. The Ferrari doesn't look too bad but it is a drawing and from an angle that doesn't give a fair representation.

The Caterham nose rivals the Williams 'Walrus', March 711 and Eifelland for ugliest F1 front end ever, in my opinion.