Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Old 28 Dec 2009, 15:02 (Ref:2605686)   #1
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
British F3 races of the decade

It seems scary to think that we are almost a full decade into the 21st century. On the private section of autosport.com the magazine's writers have nominated their races of the decade and I'm interested to see that that two of them select BF3 races. I thought it might be interesting to select your own BF3 races of the decade.

Glenn Freeman has made the same choice as I would make, so I'm going to do a naughty cut and paste and let you see what he has to say:
Quote:
British F3
Monza, 2005

If only every F3 race took place at Monza! In 2005 it provided an incredible weekend. Alvaro Parente won all three races, but they were far from straightforward. Race one was decided by a wheel-to-wheel drafting scrap with Carlin team-mate Charlie Kimball, where the pair swapped places four times on the penultimate lap.

Then, after a relatively calm race two, there was the manic third, where Parente recovered from a lap one spin that dropped him to 14th to complete a memorable hat-trick.

There was plenty of chaos through the field, which included Hitech team-mates Tim Bridgman and Marko Asmer clashing and falling out, plus Mike Conway trying to pass Bridgman and Danilo Dirani on the grass coming out of the Parabolica. Unforgettable racing at an unforgettable venue.
Ben Anderson, who is the current F3 reporter for the magazine, has chosen a race from last season:
Quote:
British F3
Donington Park, 2009

Formula 3 is not renowned for classic races. A chronic lack of power and an over-reliance on aerodynamic grip make the cars unspectacular. But throw in a splash of rain, just as a slick-shod field is completing its warm up lap, and it all changes in an instant.

After starting ninth and dropping to 13th at the start, Wayne Boyd looked set for another mediocre race, but we watched in awe as he hauled his T-Sport Dallara-Volkswagen up through the field. At times, he lapped up to 1.5 seconds quicker than anyone else en route to a memorable maiden win.
Considering that F3 is suppposed to be a boring category to watch, I thought it was quite a compliment that two of the thirteen races chosen were from BF3, considering that any race in any category in motor racing could be chosen, from F1 down.

Monza 2005 would indeed be my own choice amongst BF3 races, but Monza 2008 ran it close, when Sergio Perez won both races, starting from 14th on on the grid each time.

But for sheer emotion, I doubt if anything could beat Nick Tandy's win at Rockingham last season, the first for himself and JTR just days after his brother Joe had so tragically been killed in a road accident.

Your thoughts?
Old 28 Dec 2009, 17:54 (Ref:2605733)   #2
Last2LiftOff
Veteran

Canada
Six Jolly Fellowship Porters
Last2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameLast2LiftOff will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well that's interesting Strider, I find BF3 anything but boring, can't get enough of it literally. If only there were a way to watch it over har.

Hmm, nary an F1 driver mentioned in the Monza 2005 write-up, and a race of decade this year at Donington!
Old 28 Dec 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2605751)   #3
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Alvaro Parente is actually the test and reserve driver for one of the new teams, Lotus F1, I think, so he has progressed OK. Bruno Senna was also at Monza in 2005.

Daniel Ricciardo was BF3 champion in 2009 and no-one seems to be in any doubt that he will make to F1 in some capacity very soon, if not next year then in 2011.
Old 28 Dec 2009, 19:43 (Ref:2605767)   #4
MikeHoyer
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northampton, UK
MikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMikeHoyer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Since I've been following F3 (only the past three or four years) I'd say Monza 2008 definitely.

Boyd's win was good as well
Old 29 Dec 2009, 11:36 (Ref:2605917)   #5
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
But for sheer emotion, I doubt if anything could beat Nick Tandy's win at Rockingham last season, the first for himself and JTR just days after his brother Joe had so tragically been killed in a road accident.
Couldn't agree more. I think the whole press room, if not the whole paddock, was willing Nick on in that race.

Just as an extra note, the one rule we had while picking our race of the decade was that we actually had to have been there (as apposed to seeing it on TV). That'll be one reason why it's not F1-dominated.

I think that for sheer racing entertainment, F3 is quite often not at the top of the list (especially when it shares a bill with Formula Ford ) so when a really good F3 race happens it is memorable.
Old 29 Dec 2009, 13:27 (Ref:2605967)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
Just as an extra note, the one rule we had while picking our race of the decade was that we actually had to have been there (as apposed to seeing it on TV). That'll be one reason why it's not F1-dominated.
I had worked that out and it makes perfect sense. Several other writers who gave their opinions have covered BF3, such as Charles Bradley, Gary Watkins and Steven English, together with one who didn't contribute but remains an ardent fan, Marcus Simmons. You should be next in line, Kevin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by krt917 View Post
I think that for sheer racing entertainment, F3 is quite often not at the top of the list (especially when it shares a bill with Formula Ford ) so when a really good F3 race happens it is memorable.
I can't disagree that Formula Ford is great entertainment as well as an invaluable learning formula. It leaves Formula BMW standing on both counts in my opinion.

If you want an exciting F3 race the answer is simple - go to Monza, although in this country Thruxton usually provides great racing. What they have in common are long straights followed by tight corners, thus overtaking opportunities. Little known fact: in terms of average lap speed Thruxton is actually faster than Monza.
Old 29 Dec 2009, 13:33 (Ref:2605971)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Definately the 2008 Monza ones were the Mexican fella gave out free driving lessons to all and sundry.
Old 29 Dec 2009, 14:12 (Ref:2605983)   #8
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Helped, I have to say since the guy's a mate, by the amazing Mugen-Honda engine! It was so good that even if Perez overtook a Merc driver at the beginning of the start/finish straight and the other driver tucked in behind to get a tow he still couldn't keep up!
Old 29 Dec 2009, 23:02 (Ref:2606207)   #9
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2006, Danny Watts drove car, written off by Senna at Snetterton, to a win at Thruxton. Great driver 1 of the most remarkable come backs have seen in BF3.

And unstoppeble Perez, powred by NBE engine raced great races at Monza. What a year it was for "privateer" engines.
Old 1 Jan 2010, 22:12 (Ref:2607170)   #10
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My 'vote' would go to Nick Tandy's win at Rockingham.
Old 3 Jan 2010, 05:42 (Ref:2607515)   #11
Peralta
Veteran

Mexico
Guadalajara Jalisco
Peralta is a back marker
I would have to choose Perez 2008 Monza for winning both races from mid-pack but I m being biased
Old 4 Jan 2010, 21:08 (Ref:2608156)   #12
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Richard B should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My favourite moments of the past few years:
1) Danny Watts at Thruxton 2006. As I recall he was there to "help" Bruno Senna in the championship but stuck it on pole beating those who'd been racing all year, Senna, Jarvis, Conway et al.
2) Danny's drive at Castle Combe the year before, again a "one off" when he finished on the podium.
3) Nick Tandy at Rockingham last year, a brilliant drive and very emotional
4) Brendon Hartley qualifying in Bucharest 2008
Old 4 Jan 2010, 21:54 (Ref:2608168)   #13
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
My favourite moments of the past few years:
1) Danny Watts at Thruxton 2006. As I recall he was there to "help" Bruno Senna in the championship but stuck it on pole beating those who'd been racing all year, Senna, Jarvis, Conway et al.
2) Danny's drive at Castle Combe the year before, again a "one off" when he finished on the podium.
3) Nick Tandy at Rockingham last year, a brilliant drive and very emotional
4) Brendon Hartley qualifying in Bucharest 2008
Some good choices there, Richard, but you reminded me that in 2004 Danny Watts actually won one race at Castle Combe in the Lola and was 3rd in the other.

I always enjoyed the races at Combe because you could really see the cars working their suspension over the bumps and it was great to see them breaking the 1-minute barrier.
Old 5 Jan 2010, 16:42 (Ref:2608486)   #14
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Thinking about this thread on the way to work this morning... how about:
Richard Antinucci's drive for Promatecme at a wet Donnington in 2003. He pitted for slicks on the warm up lap;as a result started last but finished second.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 13:44 (Ref:2608927)   #15
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Now you've reminded me of a similar race that was probably the upset of 2004!

At Silverstone in August the track was wet, but drying, and Marcus Marshall, who had previously had no significant success at all, took the gamble of starting on slicks from his 14th place on the grid.

The two Carlin drivers, Alvaro Parente and Danilo Dirani, decided to pit to change tyres after the second of the green flag laps, but had to start the race from the pit lane.

Marshall took the lead from Nelson Piquet on lap 9. Parente was already up to 2nd and over the remaining laps closed the gap to less than a second, but Marshall hung on to take a remarkable and wholly unexpected (even by him!) victory.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 14:38 (Ref:2608936)   #16
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Wasn't that the meeting where in the National Class (Scholarship was it in those days?) French "also ran" Vas Calasan tried a similar gamble to Marshall and won beating Ryan Lewis and Stephen Jelley.
Old 6 Jan 2010, 16:50 (Ref:2608979)   #17
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
I'm such an anorak that I keep all the .pdf files and, having checked, yes, Calasan finished 9th overall and 1st in class.

I'm in awe of your memory is all I can say!
Old 6 Jan 2010, 20:55 (Ref:2609101)   #18
Richard B
Racer

United Kingdom
Oxford
Not sure which one of us is the bigger anorak!
My memory isn't that good, it's just at the time I was helping Promatecme stay mobile with supplying road cars.