Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 17 Sep 2009, 14:28 (Ref:2542829)   #1
Flapshot
Rookie

Flapshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How to enter a championship

Hi All,

I'm about to race the 24hr event at MK Daytona, and I feel pretty excited. I'm thinking that if it goes well, I might want to enter a kart championship next year. I have no idea what to do, so could use suggestions.

Here is a bit about me\my situation :

I'm a male 32 about 12 stone (just under)

I raced karts at an indoor kart center when I was 16 and caught the attention of a local-ish pro-kart team.

I was invited to test the said prokart at RyeHouse in 1993 and was invited to join the team (didn't happen for one reason or another).

Haven't raced a kart in anger since although I "sim race" to a fairly decent standard.

Plan to take ARDS and run in F Vee or some other low cost series in 2011. In the meantime I figure kart racing is the way to go.

Local track is : http://www.redlodgekarting.com/

I do not own a kart, but would consider purchasing one, although I am keen to investigate arrive and drrive championships...

I hope you guys could help

Many thanks.
Old 20 Sep 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2544502)   #2
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You should be able to buy a Prokart for around 5-600 that can run at redlodge - I think its non-msa there so you wont need a licence or an ARKS. If you are fairly mechanically adept then a Rotax Max can probably be had for around a grand.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 10:56 (Ref:2544838)   #3
Flapshot
Rookie

Thanks for the reply mate.

I see so many Rotax Max I don't know what is the ones to buy? I mean, say I race at Red Lodge but next time want to run in a bigger championship, I'd like a kart that would be useful. I'd like to run at MK Daytona, Ryehouse and other top circuits.

BTW - Finished the MK 24hour yesterday - what an event and I was in the 1:10's in a pro kart. First run in ANY kart for 15 years and first time at MK Daytona

I'm bruised to hell though as for 2 stints I had no seat insert and smashed myself to bits.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2544866)   #4
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
You could do what i do at the moment, rental championships.

Daytona have thier new 'DMAX' championship (Rotax) that runs at MK, Sandown, Buckmore, Whilton (and possibly Red Lodge??)

Theres 'Club100' that are based at Rye, but go all over (I'm racing with them at Llandow, South Wales this sunday). They use 115cc TKM's.

And there is one called 'CovKart' i think that runs regually at Red Lodge using pro-karts.

If, like me, you have little in the way of time and places to store a kart, these arrive and drive style things are perfect. Beware though, they are bloody competitive. I used to be 'the king' of 4-strokes but am stuck in the mid-field of the 2-stroke-ers!

Good Luck!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 12:34 (Ref:2544924)   #5
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not bad advice from Peat there, arrive n drive could be a very good idea if you are considering moving on. Club100 gets very good reviews constantly, and if you can cut it there you should be of a good standard. Depends if you want to run the kart yourself really though, if you want to up your mechanical knowledge then buying one might be a better solution.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 13:47 (Ref:2545024)   #6
Flapshot
Rookie

Thanks to you both
I have considered arrive and drive and am looking at the DMAX and now club 100.
If I suck at 2stroke I'll go pro kart I noticed that the prokart series inkart at MK Daytona - I was faster by 3 seconds than the fastest lap from the event. It's probably the tyres though, are the bridgestones super grippy?
Old 21 Sep 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2545089)   #7
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Probably got enduro tyres on yes, that would explain difference.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 14:45 (Ref:2545102)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Worth reading this thread if you havent yet - http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111599

Covkartsport championship runs at your local track at Red Lodge.
Old 21 Sep 2009, 18:27 (Ref:2545299)   #9
Flapshot
Rookie

Great! Thanks again. I've looked at the covkart site and it looks pretty good and pretty low cost too.

Might be worth running in a low cost arrive and drive championship and then if I get on well buying a kart and enter s1 ( )

I'm going to drop into the redlodge track and have a chat with them. I didn't know it was MSA approved
Old 21 Sep 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2545305)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

No problem, however people dont tend to just go into S1 as a novice ;-) its very expensive!
Old 21 Sep 2009, 19:37 (Ref:2545358)   #11
Flapshot
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
No problem, however people dont tend to just go into S1 as a novice ;-) its very expensive!
LOL, I know mate - hence the ( ).
Old 21 Sep 2009, 20:29 (Ref:2545419)   #12
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
try the forum on www.karting.co.uk it has loads of useful people on there that can advise what to do.....to warn you though, rotax is very expensive..i race in tkm, its cheep and fast, great class to race in but it depends on what track your racing at, some race rotax, some tkm.
Old 22 Sep 2009, 09:56 (Ref:2545801)   #13
Flapshot
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascarracinguk View Post
try the forum on www.karting.co.uk it has loads of useful people on there that can advise what to do.....to warn you though, rotax is very expensive..i race in tkm, its cheep and fast, great class to race in but it depends on what track your racing at, some race rotax, some tkm.
I don't know what TKM is and what the difference between that and rotax is? I'm going a load of research

Thanks, I'll check out that link
Old 23 Sep 2009, 10:43 (Ref:2546530)   #14
kimbo
Rookie

England
West Sussex
kimbo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flapshot View Post

I'm a male 32 about 12 stone (just under)
I think that even at that weight, you'll struggle in many of the MSA classes, which are very much geared towards adolescents with the build of a pumped up jockey and weighing in at under 10 stone.
Most clubs, however, run a 'heavy' category in the popular classes and there used to be a national championship as well - maybe still is, but I've not been involved in karting for many years now.

Formula 6 is an all 4 stroke club running championships for owner drivers in various classes and is a nice low key intro into truly competitive racing. It's where my son started before going to 2 strokes at Buckmore, etc, then on to 'Super 1' and then into car racing. I would strongly recommend it as a starting point if you dont want to spend too much.

Dont under estimate whats involved, the step up from clubbie to Super 1 is vast - it took my son over a year to get back on the podium at Supers after being a regular visitor there as a clubbie at Buckmore Park.

Kim.

p.s. please note, I am not suggesting that a 12 stone adult is overweight - that would mean that I'm obese - just that the weight limits favour the lighter driver generally.
Old 23 Sep 2009, 12:08 (Ref:2546587)   #15
Peat
Veteran

United Kingdom
Dahn Sahf
Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!Peat has a real shot at the podium!
True. I'm 6ft3, very slight build (ok, streak of p*ss really....) yet i am in the Club100 SUPER-Heavyweight catergory. Pretty hard to come to terms with.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 08:32 (Ref:2547193)   #16
Flapshot
Rookie

LOL. Thanks Kim
I've been looking at club level kart racing, and as I'm no spring chicken trying to carve a racing a career - then maybe S1 is a step I don't need to take.

TBH - If I have a good year or two of karting, I intend to try my hand at Formula Vee.

Thanks again

@Peat - I looked at club100 and I think I might well get involved next year

BTW - Looked at F6 and that looks terrific! Seems I might need some advice with regards the ARKS test. I see I'll need a medical, what do they test? My hearing is down by 50% in one ear (I was born with it). Shouldn't be an issue should it (it kept me out of the army at 16 though )
Old 24 Sep 2009, 08:52 (Ref:2547204)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

If you are'nt going to run your own kart and are going to go down the hire kart route then dont bother with your ARKS as its not needed.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2547227)   #18
Flapshot
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
If you are'nt going to run your own kart and are going to go down the hire kart route then dont bother with your ARKS as its not needed.
Thanks ghinzani, I know that is the case

I saw this on ebay : http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HONDA-160-TWIN...d=p3286.c0.m14

Anyone help me understand what it would be eligible for? Like is it OK for F6?
Old 24 Sep 2009, 13:11 (Ref:2547325)   #19
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Well it would need proper chainguards for a start, and I cant see that its got a disc protector but apart from that would be ok for your local Prokart series or F6 - however I cant vouch for the eligibility of the engines as the selelrs not put on the listing whats been done to them. Is there a Prokart championship at Redlodge? There is a non-MSA series up around your way at a track, either Wildkarts or Carver Barracks perhaps? Sorry my geography aint great.
Old 24 Sep 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2547409)   #20
Flapshot
Rookie

Hi ghinzani,

Yeah, Red Lodge run a non-msa pro kart championship

I'll be honest mate, it all seems so complicated when reading up on things. I guess it becomes clearer as you start to participate?
Old 26 Sep 2009, 11:59 (Ref:2548547)   #21
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Yes it does, especially at non-MSA level where there are fewer prima donnas and pushy Dads, you will find everyone very helpfull. However if you want to go on to car racing Club100 or Covkart may be a better palce to emasure yourself against other wannabee race car drivers. I dont say that in a demeaning way, just you might find yourslef loving grass roots level karting so much you never leave!
Old 27 Sep 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2549067)   #22
Flapshot
Rookie

Hey ghinzani - I just emailed Covkart to see if I have to pay the full years membership just to compete in the last 2 races of the season at Ryehouse and Ancaster...I'll see what they say
Old 9 Oct 2009, 00:22 (Ref:2557102)   #23
Gilles lives!
Veteran

England
Kent.
Gilles lives! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F6 Karting

Hi Flapshot, I've been involved with the F6 Championship this year with my son who is racing in the Junior TKM 4 stroke class. They run a senior TKM 4S class too, these are proper race engines that only need to be rebuilt at around 50-100 hours. The class is very competitive though as mentioned by Peat most of the drivers are pretty young.

F6 also caters for Pro karts and run a Heavy class within that (if needed ). I would recommend you attending one of the F6 meetings to have a look, it's a very friendly club and they are crying out for more entries.

Unfortunately there is only one meeting left now this year which is at Bayford Meadows in Sittingbourne Kent this Saturday 10TH.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 9 Oct 2009, 11:45 (Ref:2557422)   #24
Flapshot
Rookie

Hi Gilles lives,

I have entered the last two rounds of the 2009 covkartsport championship - Ryehouse a week Sunday, then Ancaster next month. I plan on running a full season with them next year - but I'll see how the two rounds go before comitting.

As for Formula 6 - I'm very interested in stepping up to that, but of course I'd like a full season arrive and drive before I decide kart racing IS something I'd like to do long term.

I like the idea of the TKM 4S - where can I find info on these karts (inc cost etc).
Old 9 Oct 2009, 18:28 (Ref:2557673)   #25
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

TKM 4S is a bot of a dead end as far as I understand it, especially with the new TAG TKM 2 strokes coming in. Having said that I do have a TKM 4S chassis sat in my garage if you want to buy one ;-)