Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 28 Feb 2005, 18:57 (Ref:1238272)   #26
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
BillyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats not bad Alex.

Yeah speedy next C100 round is at Rye but hopefully they'll reschedule the Buckmore race to the 12th/13th March then have Rye the weekend after. My brothers already had two rounds this year and hes got another one this saturday and I haven't even had one!
Old 3 Mar 2005, 14:25 (Ref:1241202)   #27
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Regarding my previous post I've worked out why about .5 of that gap exists. Gearing & fitness.

2nd gear was too high so I had to "row" between 1st and second out of the slow corners. If it was lower they'd all be taken entirely in 2nd.

Also my fitness level is.. well not awful, but not good enough for g/box karting. So I've started a rigerous fitness programme.

Alex
Old 3 Mar 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1241404)   #28
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good luck with the fitness programme, Alex.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 21:02 (Ref:1241612)   #29
Nigel Wilson
Rookie

England
Washington
Nigel Wilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alex, don't be too disheartened, the top half of that grid are going to be some of the pace setters (along with about another 10 to 12) this year. The strength in depth of the ICC grid this year is vast. It is an ill-perceived notion that gearbox drivers are 2nd rate, I would put the top lads in the same league as most ICA or FA drivers even without their budgets.
Are you going to do Stars or NKF or both, what chassis and engine are you using.
Old 3 Mar 2005, 23:50 (Ref:1241795)   #30
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Thanks luke Did 8 miles on my bike this afternoon... + 20mins of neck exercises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Wilson
Alex, don't be too disheartened, the top half of that grid are going to be some of the pace setters (along with about another 10 to 12) this year. The strength in depth of the ICC grid this year is vast. It is an ill-perceived notion that gearbox drivers are 2nd rate, I would put the top lads in the same league as most ICA or FA drivers even without their budgets.
Are you going to do Stars or NKF or both, what chassis and engine are you using.
Nigel, I'm quite aware of the quality of that field I was in lol! Tom Hibbert, James Mudd, Hywel Lloyd, etc - definatly all top guys.
I find they're marginally more respectful on track than 100 guys but definatly DEFINATLY no slower or less determined.
This year I'm doing Fulbeck Club, Darley Moor Club, Strubby Club, and a handful of NKF rounds.
Was going to do Stars, but I think that with the equipment and lack of track time I've got in g/box karting I'd be flogging a dead horse to be honest (& wasting money.)

The engine is a CRS MF1, and chassis, a Gold Typhoon. They're both a couple of years old, but for £1.2k instead of around 6k it's ok I guess. Should be getting a new one for next year anyway
Old 4 Mar 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1242346)   #31
#15 tkm 4/
Racer

#15 tkm 4/ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*cough cough* now to a more winning way, last weekend was my first race of the new year (just thought we would do a formula 6 round before i go race away with the big boys in Super 1 as i hadn't raced much over christmas... in the heats i started 11th outta 20 and got up to 8th (was a poor effort) second heat i started 10th outta 20 and got upto 3rd only missing out on second by 0.002! this put me on 3rd for the final, got a ok start got into second by the second corenr and by the end of the lap i was leading. Didnt make a mistake all race and finished ahead by 2seconds *and thats with slowing down for last 2 laps* got fastest 10ish laps of the day.
Bring on Super 1 in a fortnight!
Old 4 Mar 2005, 18:39 (Ref:1242554)   #32
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
Nice one mate well done.
Old 13 Mar 2005, 14:13 (Ref:1250904)   #33
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by #15 tkm 4/
*cough cough* now to a more winning way, last weekend was my first race of the new year (just thought we would do a formula 6 round before i go race away with the big boys in Super 1 as i hadn't raced much over christmas... in the heats i started 11th outta 20 and got up to 8th (was a poor effort) second heat i started 10th outta 20 and got upto 3rd only missing out on second by 0.002! this put me on 3rd for the final, got a ok start got into second by the second corenr and by the end of the lap i was leading. Didnt make a mistake all race and finished ahead by 2seconds *and thats with slowing down for last 2 laps* got fastest 10ish laps of the day.
Fantastic, well done

Got a practice coming up this Saturday, hopefully it will be dry and i can really push it to the limits without ending in the same swamp as last month!
Old 14 Mar 2005, 09:04 (Ref:1251333)   #34
#15 tkm 4/
Racer

not sooo good this time.... had super1 at the weekend and all went good, started 3rd for the final, got into second by second corner and was leading by 4th lap, my tyres were starting to come in and the kart was fealing great, then as i went into the first corner at buckmore, out of no where the '0'plate comes and knocks me off. Spinning me off into the tyres in a very ****ed of mood. Next lap he did the exact same to number 18 (alex s) but this time alex stays on the track, a few laps later number 1 (carl w) gets into the lead and yes you guessed it the '0' plate does the exact same move for the THIRD time! this time he gets into the lead and wins by 2seconds! and there was me thinking s1 was meant to be for the best drivers?! it was a laugh he could do the same POOR move THREE times and get away with it every time.
Old 14 Mar 2005, 16:14 (Ref:1251699)   #35
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm amazed he didn't get excluded, black flagged. Did he not even get the black and white warning flag?

I was sent infront of the officials in a clubby for knocking ONE person off and rubbing wheels with some others "over aggressive driving". So it amazes me how he got away with that at a Super One event!
Old 14 Mar 2005, 19:09 (Ref:1251860)   #36
#15 tkm 4/
Racer

nope didnt get anything at all it was ****ing stupid how he got away with it, so lightly
Old 14 Mar 2005, 19:45 (Ref:1251901)   #37
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Does seem ludicrus
Old 19 Mar 2005, 17:55 (Ref:1256143)   #38
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
Well first race earlier today at Rye House:
Race Started Finished
Heat 1 18 12
Heat 2 11 16
Heat 3 18 16
Final 25 20

I got up to 14th in the final and was catching the guy infront like mad and on the last lap dived up the inside but he cut across and they had put tyres right on the kerbs so the front cliped them and the kart spun round and by the time I got going again I was down to 20th. Very pleased with the day though.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 18:49 (Ref:1256182)   #39
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Impressive results for your first outing today Billy. Looks like you had a bit of a mare in Heat 2 too.

Went testing today (it stayed dry!!!) Went really well apart fromt he chain coming off and ripping to pieces the new chainguard. Really enjoyed being out with the Seniors though and i was on the pace which i'm pleased with. Almost rolled the kart but thankfully got away with it. I went to pass a driver round the outside in to a quite quick hairpin and he didn't see me, cut across, forced me ont he grass on full throttle, someone dived up the inside of him and we all went 3 abreast with me on the grass!! I got past at the next corner though!
Old 19 Mar 2005, 18:53 (Ref:1256184)   #40
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
Thats sort of what happened to me in my 3rd heat I went round the outside of about 5 karts and one pushed me on the grass, which was much bumpier than I expected and I spun. All good fun though.
Old 19 Mar 2005, 21:24 (Ref:1256292)   #41
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Quote:
Originally Posted by #15 tkm 4/
Nice one well done!

btracer, nice consistant results, good stuff

I'm going down to strubby tomorrow, infact I better go to bed soon I've gotta set off at 5am woohoo!
Old 19 Mar 2005, 22:08 (Ref:1256326)   #42
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
5AM Ouch!
Old 21 Mar 2005, 22:41 (Ref:1258423)   #43
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Continuting with the word ouch, we arrive at my races on Sunday.

1st heat: Started in pole, but had a bit of a crappy start. Didn't get enough heat into the fronts on the warm-up lap, so it understeerd quite badly into the first corner, loosing me 3 places. Was up to 2nd by the end of the lap, but had a job passing the next guy. Got by on the 3rd lap and pulled out, about 8 seconds lead. All was going nicely until the first corner of the last lap. Coming up to a backmarker, they were given a blue flag, and pulled over to let me by, then he changed his mind going into the 2nd corner, a 50+mph kink. They pulled across infront of me, I ended up giving them a bloody hard whack on one side, flinging me straight over the front of their kart & taking them out. I thought I was out for sure, and pretty certain I was about to roll, but it landed, the right way around too. Unfortunatly I'd bent my axle, smashed my rear break disk and ripped my rear left tyre. Got around the following chicane and continued to tootle round with an aim just to finish the race. About 1/3 of the lap later I realised that I was still in the bloody lead! So, on three wheels with a bent axle I got a shuffle on, but about 50m from the finish line the 2nd place guy passed me, putting me 2nd at the line.

Next race started 5th & finished 2nd. My dad and I had to work flat out before this one to change the axle and disk.

The 3rd race started 9th & won.

For the final race I started 13th, but it was shortened to five laps due to the ever closer proximity of darkness. I Had a great start and left the 1st corner in 7th. Got my head down (literally on more than one occasion) and put together what I think is one of my best drives to finished a close second by about.5 second. The guy who won started on pole though, and was last year's champ.

....Bring on Fulbeck....
Old 22 Mar 2005, 18:51 (Ref:1259077)   #44
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Sounds exciting to say the least! Did you dmage the chassis at all?
Old 23 Mar 2005, 14:33 (Ref:1259834)   #45
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy king
Sounds exciting to say the least! Did you dmage the chassis at all?
Nah I had a soft axle in, which took all of the shock, so the frame didn't get twisted.

The underside's a bit scraped, but nothing too bad. S*** happens
Old 23 Mar 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1260012)   #46
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Sounds similar to an accident last year right infront of me in a move for the lead though, the kart that was on the inside to the corner ended up doing a pirrorette on top of the other kart!! Ripping the exhaust and spark plug out. Dred to think what the underside of the Kosmic looked like afterwards, think it was a 04 kart as well!
Old 23 Mar 2005, 19:43 (Ref:1260101)   #47
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
Nice one Alex was that a club meeting?
Old 28 Mar 2005, 17:10 (Ref:1263611)   #48
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
How did it go today James?
Old 28 Mar 2005, 18:09 (Ref:1263637)   #49
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Quote:
Originally Posted by btracer
Nice one Alex was that a club meeting?
Yeah a club meeting!

This 3-day weekend I've been at fulbeck and at the long circuit of darley moor !!!

Fulbeck was ok, had 3 2nds in the heats, then in the final, just as I took the lead the exhaust spring broke, so I had to pull up, crappy thing!

Darley moor today... !!!! LMAO!! Words just can't describe the feeling. If you ever get a chance to drive in a g/box kart on a long circuit GO FOR IT!! I had ten minutes to learn the circuit, which was no problem, got it sorted pretty much within the first 3 laps. Setup was spot on to begin with, except for gearing we had to change because it was revving out...

...at 120 mph

I just couldn't believe the speed, it's totally incredible. There were a couple of chicanes which all the bikes (125cc to superbikes) had to slow down for. Totally flat out for us - 100mph

Average speed for my best lap was 85mph, and taking into account the hairpin.. pfft!!

Race average was 83 mph each time.

Oh yeah, and I won the final too!!!
Old 28 Mar 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1263639)   #50
BillyT
Veteran

England
London
Nice one, that is QUICK