Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 6 Apr 2006, 13:03 (Ref:1572255)   #26
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan733
no but I believe a lot of that was artificially created by the safety car periods. (not intentionally but still artificial)
that's like saying overtaking in in Suzuka 2003 was artificial because it rained when some fast drivers came out and they were at the back..
Old 7 Apr 2006, 03:21 (Ref:1572764)   #27
Peter Nightingale
Racer

Australia
Australia
Peter Nightingale should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F 1 is like a revolving door. The formula is for ever changeing with different interpretations of the regs by the engineers & the F.I.A. & engine people.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 13:44 (Ref:1573119)   #28
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Skam I disagree...Rain effects everyone equally. the guy in the lead by 10 seconds as well as the guy in last. All the gaps utterly disappear when the safety car comes out. Not saying it shouldn't exist but just saying its not fair to pick out a singular event in a much wider body of data
Old 7 Apr 2006, 14:56 (Ref:1573194)   #29
DeoValente
Racer

DeoValente has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
no but I believe a lot of that was artificially created by the safety car periods. (not intentionally but still artificial)

Look left I must disagree. F1 didn't seem to lose any fans (at least not on here) because Ferrari did well. Sometimes it helps to have what some people view as the darthteam.

I hate to make the comparison but it seems appropriate in the context of this discussio nto bring up NASCAR. NASCAR is not anything we F1 fans (for the most part) find all that interesting, yet it is an enormous success. The drivers and teams have personalities they aren't robots. The racings close and even if its contrived (restrictor plates) its alot more exciting to watch a race with 100 passes for the lead than 1 if you ask most people in the US (personally I disagree). NASCAR has entertainment which F1 seems to have lost in hospitality sweets closed paddocks and motor homes within arms reach of the garage door
Isnt the difference that F1 was never intended to be entertaining, or at least not the main point? Iirc it was invented so manufacturers could race prototypes on a more or less equal sheet of regs against each other. The drivers where of way less importance. Gradually the drivers like Nuvolari, Fanghio, Surtees got their fans and the public became more interested.

I still think back to the erly 90s when youd have live coverage of practise sessions taht sometimes got washed out with rain and for an hour you simply saw nothing. A tree and a fence, a piece of tarmac. And everybody was happy.
Old 7 Apr 2006, 16:49 (Ref:1573283)   #30
avsfan733
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeoValente
Isnt the difference that F1 was never intended to be entertaining, or at least not the main point? Iirc it was invented so manufacturers could race prototypes on a more or less equal sheet of regs against each other. The drivers where of way less importance. Gradually the drivers like Nuvolari, Fanghio, Surtees got their fans and the public became more interested.

I still think back to the erly 90s when youd have live coverage of practise sessions taht sometimes got washed out with rain and for an hour you simply saw nothing. A tree and a fence, a piece of tarmac. And everybody was happy.
There was no internet then. no one could express their disapproval to everyone else

I honestly think the problem is the rules are caught inbetween two value systems. People want it to be entertaining, but they want it to be fast. I say ditch the present rules give them a box and a weigth for the car. and then the rest of the rules are to prevent spectators from dieing. the drivers volunteer and get paid for a dangerous activity so suck it up. Fire fighters don't complain and they probably make 40K a year as opposed to MS's 40M

Deo, your right it its supposed to be the ultimate and it no longer is. But unfortunately no one has the attention span for that anymore
Old 7 Apr 2006, 20:25 (Ref:1573419)   #31
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matski

If teams can't compete fcuk them.. if they can't afford it fcuk them.. I can't afford an Aston Martin.. but I don't expect them to put a 1300cc engine in it and make it out of tin, just so I can afford it....
If at first you don't succeed,throw some more money at it!

Interesting philosophy.

And you can always buy a Toyota.
Old 8 Apr 2006, 20:48 (Ref:1574121)   #32
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble
If you painted all of the cars the same colour you would never know which was which.
This is because the teams are reaching the aerodynamic optimum. They are bound to find similar solutions to the same problems.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1574627)   #33
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ-Turner
This is because the teams are reaching the aerodynamic optimum. They are bound to find similar solutions to the same problems.
I disagree. Teams would find less similar solutions, if they would be allowed to do so. But the current regulations are too strict.
Old 9 Apr 2006, 16:06 (Ref:1574630)   #34
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
I disagree. Teams would find less similar solutions, if they would be allowed to do so. But the current regulations are too strict.
If the teams were allowed to use different types of engines (V10s,V12s,W16s,turbo's etc) it wouldn't be too long before they all found the optimum configuration,which in recent times just happened to be the V10 (even Ferrari had to give up on its too heavy and too thirsty V12).Same applies to aero.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 10:24 (Ref:1575408)   #35
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
If the teams were allowed to use different types of engines (V10s,V12s,W16s,turbo's etc) it wouldn't be too long before they all found the optimum configuration,which in recent times just happened to be the V10 (even Ferrari had to give up on its too heavy and too thirsty V12).Same applies to aero.
If teams were allowed to use different solutions, they might never find the optimum configuration. Ferrari and Toyota had planned to use V12's from 2002. Ferrari even tested with a new V12 in 2001.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1577819)   #36
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
If at first you don't succeed,throw some more money at it!

Interesting philosophy.

And you can always buy a Toyota.
hmm... thats not what I'm saying. Renaults budget is smaller than toyota's, Renault are better becuase they are better at what they do...

My point is... If you can't afford something that other people can... then it's your problem, not theirs... (we're not communists afterall !!!)

My bigger problem relates to the technology side of it... if you wanna see close racing and overtaking, watch a series where that already happens... I wanna see the most exotic cars possible racing at the biggest venues, at mentally fast speeds... I don't think that dumbing down all the cars and making them all practically the same will give closer racing.... (just look at the difference between team-mates performances).... Champcar's are pretty much the same aren't they? and there's not exactley a low of overtaking in that is there?
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 17:46 (Ref:1577834)   #37
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IF (still a big 'if' at present) IRL and Champ Car can settle their differences, that could quickly become the world's premier open-wheel series.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1577867)   #38
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
If teams were allowed to use different solutions, they might never find the optimum configuration. Ferrari and Toyota had planned to use V12's from 2002. Ferrari even tested with a new V12 in 2001.
True...
Interesting ti look at the performance angle.. Last years "petronas" V10 sauber, vs. this years BMW V8 sauber.... which would you choose? this also shows that it's not just the bhp's of certain engine configs that you have to consider... it the impact it has aero/cooling on the car.

Okay, given the choice they may all settle for V10's again... but isn't it better that they get to choose the optimum configuration, rather than get told to use something that might not be as good.

Who know's you may get a team that turbocharges... destroys the rest of the field for half the season, but suffers blow-ups and reliability issues the other half..
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 10 Apr 2006, 18:41 (Ref:1577869)   #39
avsfan733
Veteran

I would love to see turbo cars again. I really think diversity has been lost in F1 and thats where they need to go. Some setups will have an advantage at one track some at others. Say teams have to choose and engine configuration at the begining of the year and just take steps to limit development. Hell why not just ban computers from the garages/pitlane/pitwall you get a radio, a driver, a stopwatch, and whatever data collection you squeeze into the car for looking at once you get back to the factory
Old 11 Apr 2006, 05:16 (Ref:1578228)   #40
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoigh
IF (still a big 'if' at present) IRL and Champ Car can settle their differences, that could quickly become the world's premier open-wheel series.
I think that is very unlikely. Even if they merged tomorrow it would still be a predominantly North American series without the world's best drivers or racing cars. They would need to go global and then as their status improves attract leading drivers and manufacturers, not to mention avoiding being crushed by Max and FIA along the way.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 12:50 (Ref:1578526)   #41
rocketracer
Veteran

Australia
Albert Park
rocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrocketracer should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As is mentioned in some other threads (ie "Sebastien Bourdais"), its very frustrating to see the log jam in F1s top ranks... guys like davidson and bourdais have been quick for a few years now, and run the risk of losing their racing spark if they're on the sidelines too long, or conversely get rabbitised in the headlights when they do finally get a go...

would be good in the future of F1 to have teams running slightly modified older spec cars (ala torro rosso restricted v10) having a sprint race on a friday or something with under 25yo drivers to show their respective talents in front of the F1 audience on F1 tracks, and it would also liven up the grand prix weekend... Would probably give more opportunity for the younger guys to get an entrance to F1 racing, rather than just F1 quick test laps...

maybe this could fix the cost problems of privateers in F1 as well - ie running restricted cars which don't cost anything to develop, racing in a sort of pre-qualifying league... And maybe the bonus of coming in the top 3 in the friday sprint race would be to gain entry to qualify and race on the sunday...

(ok so i haven't really thought out the ins and outs of such a scheme, but happily disregarding details)
Old 11 Apr 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1578598)   #42
avsfan733
Veteran

Thought this was relevant to the safety discussion within. Especially the comment about Toyotas position at the end
http://f1.racing-live.com/f1/en/head...11122307.shtml
Quote:
Originally Posted by F1live
Toyota's Ralf Schumacher has hit out at what he calls 'stupid drivers'. The German, a staunch advocate of improving safety in Formula One, criticised those rivals who moan about recent innovations designed to protect the 350kph racers.... ...Toyota President John Howett has been quoted by Autosport magazine warning that the Japanese carmaker could quit Formula One if Mosley does not devise rules to keep it as 'the pinnacle' of racing
Old 11 Apr 2006, 16:37 (Ref:1578677)   #43
DeoValente
Racer

Quote:
I would love to see turbo cars again. I really think diversity has been lost in F1 and thats where they need to go. Some setups will have an advantage at one track some at others. Say teams have to choose and engine configuration at the begining of the year and just take steps to limit development. Hell why not just ban computers from the garages/pitlane/pitwall you get a radio, a driver, a stopwatch, and whatever data collection you squeeze into the car for looking at once you get back to the factory

That last plan goes against the wishes of most manufacturers, who have invested millions in expensive simulators, rigs and god knows what other devices to minimize any chance of losing. Max is putting down big rulechanges for 2008 to make it all a bit less but the days of no telemetry i doubt if wed ever see it beyond places like Goodwood.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 19:45 (Ref:1578790)   #44
avsfan733
Veteran

at some point the teams will become receptive to someone saying no. otherwise they will go broke. Shipping probably alone costs more money than any of us will make in our life. I know its not likely to happen but somethign must be done to make it more competitive. You could run a Champcar team for what they spend in tires I'll bet.
Old 11 Apr 2006, 20:17 (Ref:1578818)   #45
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
at some point the teams will become receptive to someone saying no. otherwise they will go broke. Shipping probably alone costs more money than any of us will make in our life. I know its not likely to happen but somethign must be done to make it more competitive. You could run a Champcar team for what they spend in tires I'll bet.
Probably, but an extra team entered this year and there seems to be plenty waiting in the wings for 2008. Is the future already here?
Old 11 Apr 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1578849)   #46
DeoValente
Racer

I agree..this year sees a new team, with another team running different engineconfig, eventhough im not quite happy with its performance jump over the rest..and all the signs are there we are in for a very entertaining season, with lots of teams capable of winning. I wonder how the new rules will affect the current standings though.
Old 12 Apr 2006, 02:21 (Ref:1579120)   #47
Seoigh
Racer

United States
Florida
Seoigh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsg
I think that is very unlikely. Even if they merged tomorrow it would still be a predominantly North American series without the world's best drivers or racing cars. They would need to go global and then as their status improves attract leading drivers and manufacturers, not to mention avoiding being crushed by Max and FIA along the way.
You raise a valid point....but there have been a number of Successful F1 pilots who came from NA open wheel backgrounds.

I would honestly prefer NOT to see F1 diminished, but it seems the powers that be are doing their level best to assure such an outcome.

Additionally, both series have dipped their toes in overseas events,and for a number of years now, so I no longer see that as a stumbling block.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 03:02 (Ref:1580942)   #48
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
You raise a valid point....but there have been a number of Successful F1 pilots who came from NA open wheel backgrounds
Past drivers, a long time ago. In the last 20 years, none.

Quote:
I would honestly prefer NOT to see F1 diminished, but it seems the powers that be are doing their level best to assure such an outcome.

Quote:
Additionally, both series have dipped their toes in overseas events,and for a number of years now, so I no longer see that as a stumbling block.
I don't think the american viewers really want that. That has been always the problem. It's not a specific problem, but more a matter of culture, all the most popular sports in USA are suited to the domestic preferences.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 03:56 (Ref:1580953)   #49
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Past drivers, a long time ago. In the last 20 years, none.
JV and JPM spring to mind, but we could be on different wavelengths.
Old 14 Apr 2006, 04:42 (Ref:1580966)   #50
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skam85
JV and JPM spring to mind, but we could be on different wavelengths.
I took Bononi's reference to mean U.S. born drivers. Not drivers from other countries who progressed to F1 through CART etc.