Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 21 Sep 2017, 21:15 (Ref:3769155)   #1026
AoB Special Stage
Veteran

Estonia
AoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAoB Special Stage should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
The numbers I recall for current maximums are 68 for Daytona and 64 for Sebring.

And though there were issues at Sebring in 2012 with 63 starters, it should be better this time around just having three classes out there, instead of seven.
Speaking of which, is the podium free yet?

(NO, I WILL NOT LET IT DIE!)
Old 22 Sep 2017, 00:57 (Ref:3769181)   #1027
RWill2073
Veteran

RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!RWill2073 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AoB Special Stage View Post
37 Porsches? Have mercy.
The abundance of Porsches back then made them uninteresting to me for a few years. I never pulled for a Porsche again until core got the gtlm, which has coincided with them being rather rare now and me appreciating them more. Back then, pretty much the entire gt class was a bunch of Porsches and maybe a couple panoz.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 02:53 (Ref:3769192)   #1028
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Petit has a max of 45 cars this year according to schedule + supps doc (don't have a link available right now but can be found on the competitors bit of IMSA's website). Sebring had 55 or maybe 60 I think, Daytona 65 or 70 at max. Sucks.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 03:10 (Ref:3769193)   #1029
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Ep View Post
Petit has a max of 45 cars this year according to schedule + supps doc (don't have a link available right now but can be found on the competitors bit of IMSA's website). Sebring had 55 or maybe 60 I think, Daytona 65 or 70 at max. Sucks.
Daytona 24hr = 57 max for race. Pg #4
https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...24h_011917.pdf

Sebring 12hr = 60 max for race. Pg #4
https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...ing_030817.pdf

Petit = 45 max for race. Pg #4
https://competitors.imsa.com/sites/d...ans_090617.pdf

L.P.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 04:14 (Ref:3769199)   #1030
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
This series has started more than those figures in all three events. If need be, I would expect to see them do so again.

In 2014, the starting fields for the four endurance races were as follows:
Daytona- 67
Sebring- 62
Watkins Glen- 53
Road Atlanta- 51

For this year, those numbers probably won't be of too much concern, but for 2018, I can't see them wanting to alienate that many potential GTD runners, especially not for their marque events.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 07:32 (Ref:3769223)   #1031
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
This series has started more than those figures in all three events. If need be, I would expect to see them do so again.

In 2014, the starting fields for the four endurance races were as follows:
Daytona- 67
Sebring- 62
Watkins Glen- 53
Road Atlanta- 51

For this year, those numbers probably won't be of too much concern, but for 2018, I can't see them wanting to alienate that many potential GTD runners, especially not for their marque events.

I agree, I don't see IMSA as the kind of series who want to say no to potential entrants, ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 22 Sep 2017, 13:16 (Ref:3769255)   #1032
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!Coach Ep has a real shot at the championship!
Well, I think IMSA would (for one-offs maybe, for sure not full seasonal entries) but it make sense to look at the numbers of previous years to see a downward development (or not). Anyone has those available/know where to find them?

Edit: Sebring 12H in 2016 had a max. of 62.

Last edited by Coach Ep; 22 Sep 2017 at 13:19. Reason: digging here...
Old 22 Sep 2017, 15:22 (Ref:3769275)   #1033
Dyson Mazda
Veteran

United States
Charlotte, NC
Dyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDyson Mazda should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Here is the very early 2018 Grid

P – Full Season
2x Team Penske Acura ARX-05 DPi
2x Tequila Patrón ESM Nissan Onroak DPi
2x Mazda Team Joest Mazda RT24-P

2x Action Express Racing Cadillac DPi-V.R
1-2x JDC-Miller Motorsports Oreca 07 Gibson
1x Wayne Taylor Racing Cadillac DPi-V.R
1x CORE Autosport Oreca 07 Gibson
1x Spirit of Daytona/ VisitFlorida Racing TBD
1x PR1/Mathiasen Motorsports Ligier JS P217 Gibson
1x BAR1 Motorsports TBD
1x Performance Tech Motorsports TBD
1x D3+Transformers Racing Team TBD^

P – 36H of Florida / NAEC
1-2x United Autosports Ligier JS P217 Gibson
1-2x Jackie Chan DC Racing Oreca 07 Gibson
1x Vaillante Rebellion Oreca 07 Gibson
1x DragonSpeed Oreca 07 Gibson
1x Racing Team Nederland Dallara P217 Gibson
1x G-Drive Racing TBD

GTLM – Full Season
2x Corvette Racing Chevrolet Corvette C7R
2x TBD BMW M8 GTE
2x Porsche North America Porsche 911 RSR
2x Chip Ganassi Racing Ford GT GTE

1x Risi Competizione Ferrari 488 Italia GTE

GTD
This class always has a lot of volatility in it, and this silly season does not look to be any different, so it is a bit early for it.

Bold Confirmed
^ Confrimed but not confident in any way, shape, or form
Early 2018 Grid
Old 22 Sep 2017, 16:36 (Ref:3769289)   #1034
Nick Woodbury
Veteran

United States
New England
Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!Nick Woodbury is going for a new world record!
Interesting development!

Daytona Int'l Speedway just announced "improvements" to the Midway section of the infield that will be in effect by the 2018 Rolex 24. The track's Facebook page released some aerial renderings of the proposed layout that likely aims to bring vendors and automotive displays to prominence, (as if they weren't already?)

A concern of mine stems from these pictures, it is a bit tricky to see, but according to the renderings the horseshoe grandstands seem to have been removed and/or not included in these aerial photos, hopefully just an oversight. Also on a selfish note, the pictures imply that they will pave over the entire proposed area with asphalt, rather than remain with the pre-existing grass...meh.

On another hand, great for the Rolex 24 and Daytona further improving display lots and high traffic fan areas. Can't wait for the 2018 edition of the Rolex 24 regardless!!

ARTICLE:
http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...dway-Area.aspx

Last edited by Nick Woodbury; 22 Sep 2017 at 16:44.
Old 22 Sep 2017, 17:50 (Ref:3769313)   #1035
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
Interesting development!

Daytona Int'l Speedway just announced "improvements" to the Midway section of the infield that will be in effect by the 2018 Rolex 24. The track's Facebook page released some aerial renderings of the proposed layout that likely aims to bring vendors and automotive displays to prominence, (as if they weren't already?)

A concern of mine stems from these pictures, it is a bit tricky to see, but according to the renderings the horseshoe grandstands seem to have been removed and/or not included in these aerial photos, hopefully just an oversight. Also on a selfish note, the pictures imply that they will pave over the entire proposed area with asphalt, rather than remain with the pre-existing grass...meh.

On another hand, great for the Rolex 24 and Daytona further improving display lots and high traffic fan areas. Can't wait for the 2018 edition of the Rolex 24 regardless!!

ARTICLE:
http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...dway-Area.aspx
According to DIS's Twitter account, the Intl Horseshoe stands won't be going anywhere.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 21:36 (Ref:3769817)   #1036
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
May see some 'Nissan' drivers for the endurance rounds.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/ma...adar-for-2018/

L.P.
Old 25 Sep 2017, 22:08 (Ref:3769822)   #1037
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
Found it interesting to see HPD chief Steve Eriksen reply to Van Der Zande's Tweet about his Zanardi-esque pass saying "you should be driving a Honda"...

https://twitter.com/eriksen_steve/st...86939784802304

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Old 26 Sep 2017, 19:21 (Ref:3770002)   #1038
kvenom
Veteran

kvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkvenom should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Olli Jarvis might be joining Mazda according to SC365.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 20:12 (Ref:3770007)   #1039
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger Davies View Post
Found it interesting to see HPD chief Steve Eriksen reply to Van Der Zande's Tweet about his Zanardi-esque pass saying "you should be driving a Honda"...

https://twitter.com/eriksen_steve/st...86939784802304

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
I thought that was funny, and that was the intention, I think, not a job offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvenom View Post
Olli Jarvis might be joining Mazda according to SC365.
I could imagine Joest maybe worked out a deal to be able to fill a car with people they wanted. Or maybe Mazda actually wanted some people with lmp experience that didn't come from their feeder series. Either way, I expect some new faces in the 70 car next year.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 21:55 (Ref:3770023)   #1040
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Atherton says both Daytona and Sebring will be capped at 60 cars with priority given to full season entries, then NAEC entries, 36 Hours of Florida entries over single race entries unless there's a big name driver in the car. I've heard the Jenson Button/United Autosports rumor, but this is the first I've heard of a Fernando Alonso rumor.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/im...ytona-sebring/
Old 26 Sep 2017, 22:15 (Ref:3770024)   #1041
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Had things worked out with Honda and Mclaren, Alonso could have been a shoe-in for a Penske Acura drive at Daytona
Old 26 Sep 2017, 22:49 (Ref:3770030)   #1042
Lanky Turtle
Veteran

Lanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridLanky Turtle should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Had things worked out with Honda and Mclaren, Alonso could have been a shoe-in for a Penske Acura drive at Daytona
I think Alonso would have left McLaren if they stayed with Honda though. Not that anything has been officially announced.
Old 26 Sep 2017, 22:52 (Ref:3770031)   #1043
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
Atherton says both Daytona and Sebring will be capped at 60 cars with priority given to full season entries, then NAEC entries, 36 Hours of Florida entries over single race entries unless there's a big name driver in the car. I've heard the Jenson Button/United Autosports rumor, but this is the first I've heard of a Fernando Alonso rumor.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/im...ytona-sebring/
I wonder if he said that there is a cap to get people to submit entries?

With a 60 car grid I expect 20 Protos, 12 gte, 28 gt3. Or something like that
Old 26 Sep 2017, 23:15 (Ref:3770033)   #1044
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Mazda View Post
P – 36H of Florida / NAEC
1-2x United Autosports Ligier JS P217 Gibson
1-2x Jackie Chan DC Racing Oreca 07 Gibson
1x Vaillante Rebellion Oreca 07 Gibson
1x DragonSpeed Oreca 07 Gibson
1x Racing Team Nederland Dallara P217 Gibson
1x G-Drive Racing TBD
We don't even know what class Jackie Chan DC Racing will be in next year at the moment. On the other hand Graff Racing is trying to put together something.
Old 27 Sep 2017, 00:47 (Ref:3770044)   #1045
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanky Turtle View Post
I think Alonso would have left McLaren if they stayed with Honda though. Not that anything has been officially announced.
that would include honda catching up to renault this year
Old 28 Sep 2017, 16:22 (Ref:3770311)   #1046
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
For Action Express in 18 in the Whelen #31 will be Curran and Felipe Nasr with Mike Conway as the 3rd driver -
The Mustang Sampling #5 drivers will be Joao Barbosa teaming with Filipe Albuquerque and Fittipaldi as the 3rd driver

L.P.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 16:30 (Ref:3770312)   #1047
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nielsen and Balzan looking for a ride next year. Curious that Scuderia Corsa would opt to stay with one car over two...

I know she's a paying driver, but damn consistent and pretty quick. I wonder if Audi might approach with some options. Seems like it might be a good fit.

http://sportscar365.com/imsa/iwsc/gt...ertain-future/
Old 28 Sep 2017, 17:27 (Ref:3770322)   #1048
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post
Nielsen and Balzan looking for a ride next year. Curious that Scuderia Corsa would opt to stay with one car over two...

I know she's a paying driver, but damn consistent and pretty quick. I wonder if Audi might approach with some options. Seems like it might be a good fit.

I hope to see her back, but maybe her money is better spent in a PWC sprint and sprint x run next year?

I'd be interested to see how she fairs as a single driver in PWC format races

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 Sep 2017, 18:09 (Ref:3770334)   #1049
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgRS View Post

Especially concerning as it is being taken by Mr 'I'll take my ball and go home then.' They must be hurting if they are willing to boot the potentially back to back GTD champion for a rich guy prone to fits. If he can't get comfortable and fast in the Ferrari they aren't going to run a different make for him I wouldn't think.

Although if she's bringing enough or things fall well she could end up supporting a team that is looking to replace corporate backing in 2018. Not sure how much she can bring but MSR is definitely looking for a program.
Old 28 Sep 2017, 18:35 (Ref:3770339)   #1050
Jonerz
Veteran

United States
Youston
Jonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJonerz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96 View Post
Especially concerning as it is being taken by Mr 'I'll take my ball and go home then.' They must be hurting if they are willing to boot the potentially back to back GTD champion for a rich guy prone to fits. If he can't get comfortable and fast in the Ferrari they aren't going to run a different make for him I wouldn't think.

Although if she's bringing enough or things fall well she could end up supporting a team that is looking to replace corporate backing in 2018. Not sure how much she can bring but MSR is definitely looking for a program.
As for Cooper and the Scuderia Corsa program, he'll be in a car that hasn't been subjected to the BoP hammer the way the Merc and Porsche have. He also has a lot of experience in Ferrari Challenge, but to be fair - he had a ton of time in Porsche as well. I hope the experiment works out for both sides.

I was hoping Christina and Balzan might be able to move up to GTLM, but that is pure fantasy. However, sliding into the MSR program would seem a very realistic fit.

On the subject of Cadillac shuttering the PWC program, I wonder what will happen to Cooper and O'Connell.

Chris