Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 5 Aug 2016, 18:08 (Ref:3663644)   #3801
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
FormulaFox is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Seems a few people completely missed the point I'd been making about LMP3 in Lites. In the future, please think about what was said instead of laughing at someone because you didn't understand what they said.

I never said LMP3/LMPC to P Lites was never going to happen, only that it's a stupid idea. And I stand by that. There is no demand for LMP3 in North America right now, and on top of that the PC teams are going to be furious about being bumped down to a lesser championship with no TV deal(they weren't going to be happy if they got bumped to Conti, but at least they'd have TV Time there). The Elan DP02 is outdated and in need of a replacement - no matter how much certain individuals here want to falsely paint them as being weaker than the Elans, Group CN would be a perfect replacement.

IMSA just shot themselves in the foot with an RPG. They've given the existing PC teams no incentive to spend money on an LMP3(in fact, they've only given them incentive to stick with the FLM09 EVEN LONGER), and they've done nothing to improve the increasingly outdated existing Lites class.

Last edited by FormulaFox; 5 Aug 2016 at 18:16.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 18:12 (Ref:3663646)   #3802
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ah I dunno, LMP3 seems like it'll do well in Lites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 5 Aug 2016, 18:37 (Ref:3663657)   #3803
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post

Of course, being in Lites means it's somewhat pointless to purchase LMP3 (what with the non-existent coverage and joke of a sprint races)
It is not pointless. the reason for the class to exist is to give people who want to drive a chance to drive. The Lites drivers don't car about tv spots, and giving folks an opportunity to buy a P3 car is a good step. The class is fun to watch at the track too.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 18:39 (Ref:3663658)   #3804
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaFox View Post
IMSA just shot themselves in the foot with an RPG. They've given the existing PC teams no incentive to spend money on an LMP3(in fact, they've only given them incentive to stick with the FLM09 EVEN LONGER), and they've done nothing to improve the increasingly outdated existing Lites class.
PC teams don't have to buy a P3, Imsa isn't trying to push them their either. Imsa just announced what the options are for 2018, teams can decide their own paths forward.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 18:44 (Ref:3663660)   #3805
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So Conti races have been cut down to 2 hours races now, in addition of two 4 hours enduros:
I'm ok with this, maybe this will cut down the pit stop to just to one saving some cost and make better for tv which cut it down to 2 hours anyway. The 4 hour Endros are a nice touch.

Only SRO GT4 will be allowed:
So if you were building that Dodge Charger or a Chevy SS or any other car in your garage, go race somewhere else! Only cars approved by some people in France will do!

Only mainstream OEM:
So no Bows and Sins? Fine with me.

TCR3 might be integrated as soon as 2018:
Why?
Old 5 Aug 2016, 18:52 (Ref:3663661)   #3806
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
It is not pointless. the reason for the class to exist is to give people who want to drive a chance to drive. The Lites drivers don't car about tv spots, and giving folks an opportunity to buy a P3 car is a good step. The class is fun to watch at the track too.
This times a hundred.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 19:09 (Ref:3663665)   #3807
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Trouble is, Lites teams generally don't have the kind of money to afford an LMP3. The PC teams do(most of them, anyway) but they don't want them. And IMSA's given them no reason to switch with the announced plans.

Quote:
PC teams don't have to buy a P3, Imsa isn't trying to push them their either. Imsa just announced what the options are for 2018, teams can decide their own paths forward.
Well aware. But that creates several problems of it's own...

1: Now Lites has TWO outdated chassis.

2: IMSA has stated there will be no BoP, and the cars will run as they currently are. LMP3 cars are currently well behind the FLM09 on pace and do not look set to improve anytime soon. So there's no point in anyone running an LMP3 at all. Meaning the series will soldier on with outdated cars that fewer and fewer people care about as time goes on.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 19:22 (Ref:3663666)   #3808
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Trouble is, Lites teams generally don't have the kind of money to afford an LMP3. The PC teams do(most of them, anyway) but they don't want them. And IMSA's given them no reason to switch with the announced plans.

2: IMSA has stated there will be no BoP, and the cars will run as they currently are. LMP3 cars are currently well behind the FLM09 on pace and do not look set to improve anytime soon. So there's no point in anyone running an LMP3 at all. Meaning the series will soldier on with outdated cars that fewer and fewer people care about as time goes on.
What a load of hogwash! Current Lites teams can still run the L1 cars if they wish and PC teams can move to P3, or P2 in the "P" class.

L.P.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 19:27 (Ref:3663667)   #3809
MaskedRacer
Veteran

MaskedRacer User has been fined for unsportsmanlike behaviour!
Quote:
Seems a few people completely missed the point I'd been making about LMP3 in Lites. In the future, please think about what was said instead of laughing at someone because you didn't understand what they said.

I never said LMP3/LMPC to P Lites was never going to happen, only that it's a stupid idea. And I stand by that. There is no demand for LMP3 in North America right now, and on top of that the PC teams are going to be furious about being bumped down to a lesser championship with no TV deal(they weren't going to be happy if they got bumped to Conti, but at least they'd have TV Time there). The Elan DP02 is outdated and in need of a replacement - no matter how much certain individuals here want to falsely paint them as being weaker than the Elans, Group CN would be a perfect replacement.

I don't think the LMPC teams are as important as you may think. They have had it lucky getting 8 seasons with the same car. Its time for them to make a choice. Go P, GT or LMP3 in the lites series.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 19:27 (Ref:3663668)   #3810
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

What are Lites two outdated chassis?

I read your posts, and come away with the conclusion, that you think the FLM09 will be racing in Lites.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 19:29 (Ref:3663669)   #3811
MaskedRacer
Veteran

I like the 2017 schedule. GTLM gets 4 races with no LMPC to worry about. 2 All GT races this time which rocks.

GTD for all 12 events. That is IMSA saying they like this category a lot and they think it appeals to both teams and fans alike.

Big thumbs up to the WeatherTech series going to 3 classes in 2018 as well.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 19:38 (Ref:3663670)   #3812
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
What a load of hogwash! Current Lites teams can still run the L1 cars if they wish
Yes. And? You think they're going to be HAPPY to suddenly be the second-tier class?

Quote:
and PC teams can move to P3, or P2 in the "P" class.
The PC teams are vehemently opposed to LMP3 and many don't have the money to move to P2. Additionally, they're not going to be happy being shuffled down to a third-tier championship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
What are Lites two outdated chassis?

I read your posts, and come away with the conclusion, that you think the FLM09 will be racing in Lites.
They will be. IMSA has stated there will be "six" cars to choose from in the top Lites class. There are only five P3 manufacturers, so what's the sixth? Unless they're going to allow the Ginetta G57 and count it differently from the Ginetta LMP3, it's got to be the FLM09.

For what it's worth, that would actually cause the same problem as the FLM09 just without the issue of it being an outdated.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 19:40 (Ref:3663671)   #3813
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Yes. And? You think they're going to be HAPPY to suddenly be the second-tier class?

The PC teams are vehemently opposed to LMP3 and many don't have the money to move to P2. Additionally, they're not going to be happy being shuffled down to a third-tier championship.

They will be. IMSA has stated there will be "six" cars to choose from in the top Lites class. There are only five P3 manufacturers, so what's the sixth? Unless they're going to allow the Ginetta G57 and count it differently from the Ginetta LMP3, it's got to be the FLM09.

For what it's worth, that would actually cause the same problem as the FLM09 just without the issue of it being an outdated.
Naw, there are six P3 manufacturers
  • Dome
  • Addess
  • Onroak
  • Norma
  • Ginetta
  • Riley
Old 5 Aug 2016, 19:41 (Ref:3663672)   #3814
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

http://europeanlemansseries.com/en/n...nstructor/4088

Forgot about Norma's approval did we?
Old 5 Aug 2016, 19:44 (Ref:3663673)   #3815
carbsmith
Veteran

carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!carbsmith is going for a new lap record!
That the FLM09 is quicker than LMP3s is a pretty questionable conclusion anyways. They're very close to the same gap from WEC LMP2 at Silverstone and CotA respectively, very slightly in LMP3's favor.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 19:53 (Ref:3663679)   #3816
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbsmith View Post
That the FLM09 is quicker than LMP3s is a pretty questionable conclusion anyways. They're very close to the same gap from WEC LMP2 at Silverstone and CotA respectively, very slightly in LMP3's favor.
The variance in speed only mattered if they were racing together, which he based upon incorrect assumptions. Given they aren't racing together, it really is quite irrelevant, though you may very well be correct.

----

Anyway, IMSA is quite known for making dumb decisions, but I doubt adding LMP3 is one of them. Surely they would have talked to potential buyers and found out the interest level. Oh well, we shall know next year either way, and afterall, it really is just a support series as far as fans are concerned. If it works, it's an upgrade though.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 20:09 (Ref:3663687)   #3817
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
http://europeanlemansseries.com/en/n...nstructor/4088

Forgot about Norma's approval did we?
Indeed I did. My bad. I had in mind the ACO's claim that there would only be five LMP3 constructors, and had forgotten that they threw that out the window a couple months ago. If only they'd do that with the P2 constructor limit.

Still, now the PC owners are gonna be even more ****ed off once the class is gone from WSC.

EDIT: Something else just crossed my mind. I recall there being some mention of the Ginetta LMP3's homologation being revoked. Was that just supposition in these parts or was there something to back that up?

Last edited by FormulaFox; 5 Aug 2016 at 20:17.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 20:12 (Ref:3663690)   #3818
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'll be curious to the PC reaction and how many field cars for the full PC schedule. I reckon they'll know it's a swan song and I'd assume the bits and parts are still affordable and available and they'll stick it out, but will be interesting as to which direction they go.

And good for them. I for one have been tired of seeing them out there but glad teams weren't tossed aside with 6 months notice.

Looking forward to seeing LMP3s.

All in all, not too shocking, but it's pretty much the same schedule as this year and another "transition" year. I guess every year is but seems more of another place holder.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 20:56 (Ref:3663701)   #3819
Bcarr6
Veteran

Bcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBcarr6 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Interesting note - now Conti will be Gt4 only, it's bye bye time for that shiny new(ish) mustang...

Unless ford homologate

Old 5 Aug 2016, 20:58 (Ref:3663702)   #3820
YZFrider
Racer

YZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridYZFrider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MRLS has its slate of fall events again,,,,,wooohhoooo!
Old 5 Aug 2016, 20:59 (Ref:3663703)   #3821
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcarr6 View Post
Interesting note - now Conti will be Gt4 only, it's bye bye time for that shiny new(ish) mustang...

Unless ford homologate

In '18.

L.P.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 22:42 (Ref:3663718)   #3822
MaskedRacer
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
I'll be curious to the PC reaction and how many field cars for the full PC schedule. I reckon they'll know it's a swan song and I'd assume the bits and parts are still affordable and available and they'll stick it out, but will be interesting as to which direction they go.

And good for them. I for one have been tired of seeing them out there but glad teams weren't tossed aside with 6 months notice.

Looking forward to seeing LMP3s.

All in all, not too shocking, but it's pretty much the same schedule as this year and another "transition" year. I guess every year is but seems more of another place holder.
Only a transition year for prototypes but for the GT classes which is what matters the most. 2017 is looking very very exciting!
Old 5 Aug 2016, 23:26 (Ref:3663723)   #3823
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedRacer View Post
Only a transition year for prototypes but for the GT classes which is what matters the most. 2017 is looking very very exciting!
I love GT and it has the setup to be fantastic as always, but fantastic P cars is what I've been wanting for a while...
Old 5 Aug 2016, 23:42 (Ref:3663725)   #3824
Rcz
Veteran

United States
Rcz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be fair the IMSA lites class was already a second tier, the LmP 3 cars will add some eyeballs to that series.
Old 5 Aug 2016, 23:53 (Ref:3663727)   #3825
FormulaFox
Veteran

United States
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcz View Post
To be fair the IMSA lites class was already a second tier, the LmP 3 cars will add some eyeballs to that series.
Lites is a third-tier series that doesn't even have a TV deal. This won't get it any more attention - particularly not when it will need to rely heavily on the switchover of teams that didn't even like the idea of being shuffled to Conti.