Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 14 Aug 2015, 15:19 (Ref:3566025)   #1326
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
In the spirit of being constructive, if I was the person in authority who could dictate changes and rules this is what TUSC or whatever it is called now would be:

1) Open up the NAEC races to P1 privateer and factory cars.

I know the argument against this is that it would detract from the exposure of the series regulars, I disagree completely. Having the P1 factory cars in those races would bring tremendous exposure with the marketing of the manufacturers. I would venture to guess that some additional funds would find their way into the series' coffers if this was the case. Plus it would take away the argument that people like me have, that we are not allowed to see P1 cars in this series anymore.

2) Open up the tires, no more spec tires.

I can't believe that the increased exposure benefits Continental. The large majority of people watching this series are very knowledgeable when it comes to the product, so much so that we know that the Conti tires are crap. I for one would never buy Continental tires knowing that they are a party to providing inferior products to a series they are strongly affiliated with.

3) Continue with the Fox Sports television package but have an option for PPV style viewing as well.

I am fortunate in that with Directv I have access to both FS1 and FS2 in HD, not everyone has that luxury. For those who don't but still want to watch the series give them the option (similar to what WEC does) to pay for a season pass or a race by race pass to view without commercials. As with the WEC app, I am happy to purchase the app so that I can forgo commercials when watching.

4) Bring back the ACO and ALMS pit rules.

Strategy, it's an important element and something that we all appreciate.

5) Rather than creating hurdles for non-regulars to join the GTD class, encourage unique manufacturers by giving them additional promotion.

This is tricky and I'm not sure where I am going with this, I'd just like to find a way to promote variety. Extra signage at the track, promotion of garage tours, highlighting the machinery? Encourage marks like Mercedes, Lamborghini or McLaren to race in GTD.

6) Figure out some way to make the schedule more economical for the teams, but not at the expense of the fan experience.

Maybe less races on the schedule, but more days at each venue. I don't know the solution to this problem.

These are just some random thoughts without a ton of research behind them, just something I felt like I needed to throw out there.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 16:52 (Ref:3566039)   #1327
David A Scott
Rookie

Canada
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
David A Scott should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you ATLFalconsFAN. That is exactly how I feel. I just hope the powers that be read that.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 16:54 (Ref:3566041)   #1328
jasonjessica09
Veteran

jasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjasonjessica09 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll do my own constructive idea list too:

1. Eliminate LMPC. Nobody cares about them and they ruin a good balance of speed that exists between P, GTLM, and GT3

2. If you do get lucky enough to have more than 20 full season GT3 cars next year don't cap them. Embrace it. Its ok to have split class events at some tracks.

3. Get involved in more popular culture stuff like cross promotion with movies such as Fast and Furious. Or even the WWE

4. I like the PPV idea as an alternative for people. Maybe even have a channel that for instance focuses the whole race on one class like GTLM. You have the sometimes with golf with a feature group coverage. Its a way to embrace the multi class/race within a race concept

5. Promote the hell out of the fact that the cars are the stars. Promote drivers too yes but sportscar racing appeals in multiple levels

6. Agree with previous post bring back ACO/ALMS pit stops

7. Bring in european Full course yellow/Code 60s

Motorsport fans in general are aging yes. But sportscar is the one form of racing that CAN appeal to younger people I think. Dang I have lost interest in indycar, nascar, and f1 but I'm a bigger sportscar fan than ever.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 17:01 (Ref:3566044)   #1329
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!ATLFalconsFAN is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Scott View Post
Thank you ATLFalconsFAN. That is exactly how I feel. I just hope the powers that be read that.
You're most welcome. Nice to know that I am not the only one with these crazy ideas!
Old 14 Aug 2015, 17:08 (Ref:3566045)   #1330
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjessica09 View Post
I'll do my own constructive idea list too:

1. Eliminate LMPC. Nobody cares about them and they ruin a good balance of speed that exists between P, GTLM, and GT3

2. If you do get lucky enough to have more than 20 full season GT3 cars next year don't cap them. Embrace it. Its ok to have split class events at some tracks.

3. Get involved in more popular culture stuff like cross promotion with movies such as Fast and Furious. Or even the WWE

4. I like the PPV idea as an alternative for people. Maybe even have a channel that for instance focuses the whole race on one class like GTLM. You have the sometimes with golf with a feature group coverage. Its a way to embrace the multi class/race within a race concept

5. Promote the hell out of the fact that the cars are the stars. Promote drivers too yes but sportscar racing appeals in multiple levels

6. Agree with previous post bring back ACO/ALMS pit stops

7. Bring in european Full course yellow/Code 60s

Motorsport fans in general are aging yes. But sportscar is the one form of racing that CAN appeal to younger people I think. Dang I have lost interest in indycar, nascar, and f1 but I'm a bigger sportscar fan than ever.
Nice to see that we agree more than we disagree.

Dropping LMPC though, I don't think that will happen and not sure it is the best thing to do. If we were oversubscribed then that's a discussion we could have. I think I'm in the minority that I don't really mind this class, sometimes I even enjoy it, there are some top level drivers in the class and I can appreciate seeing what they can do with identical machinery.

I'm coming around to the split races. I used to feel that it needed to be multiple classes (more than just two), but I think I'm beginning to see the benefits of the split races, I'd just like to see them kept to a minimum.

Wholeheartedly agree on the cross promotion idea. I've always felt that there should be a direct tie in with the manufacturers that are racing in the series. Buy a car from one of the series manufacturers, get a free weekend ticket or two for the race nearest to your market. Test drive a car get a discounted ticket. Buy a set of Michelin or Continental tires get a discounted ticket. Drawings or contests for VIP access or hot laps, those sorts of things. People just need to be introduced to the sport, and free stuff is a great way to get them there.

Cars are abso-freeking-lutely the stars!

Agree on Code 60, good point. No reason to not do it, other than the stupid LDWB.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 17:31 (Ref:3566046)   #1331
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Why is there never any complaining about the lack of P1 in ELMS?
Old 14 Aug 2015, 17:43 (Ref:3566048)   #1332
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Probably because our European friends have the ability to go to 4 races plus a test with P1 cars within driving distance of where they live.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 17:48 (Ref:3566049)   #1333
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLFalconsFAN View Post
Probably because our European friends have the ability to go to 4 races plus a test with P1 cars within driving distance of where they live.
There should be the same amount of outrage about the lack of P1 in the AsLMS(just run with it) too then, right?
Old 14 Aug 2015, 17:50 (Ref:3566050)   #1334
ATLFalconsFAN
Veteran

United States
Stockton, CA
Quote:
There should be the same amount of outrage about the lack of P1 in the AsLMS(just run with it) too then, right?
There may be if there was any interest in the AsLMS to begin with.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 17:59 (Ref:3566052)   #1335
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
The AsLMS is one of those series I really want to succeed because there's so many great tracks in the area, especially if you throw a round down to Australia(Phillip Island anyone?).
Old 14 Aug 2015, 18:06 (Ref:3566053)   #1336
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Pretty sure Chiana has discussed this to some extent.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 18:07 (Ref:3566054)   #1337
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Not really, because the aslms never had P1, but IMSA used to have it. So people want it's return.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 18:16 (Ref:3566057)   #1338
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No, the only outrage allowed is that the series in N. America is not a (better) copy of the WEC (as the P-2 class in WEC is going to be a turd in 2017)! Forget that P-1 died a very gaunt specimen in the ALMS prior to any merger thoughts. But I guess it takes a while ....

L.P.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 18:17 (Ref:3566058)   #1339
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
Not really, because the aslms never had P1, but IMSA used to have it. So people want it's return.

All series on the lowest rung have P2 as their highest class.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 19:25 (Ref:3566066)   #1340
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
Rather than griping, I will point out some examples of what I would like to see (again). These pages are from 2011. It was a small P1 field but it was a good one. Cars like the Audi and Peugeot made up a special class by themselves.

This is all I want to see again.

http://www.lasersol.com/CyberMotor/p...n_testing.html

As for privateers, Muscle Milk's Aston Martin made up a whole class by themselves.

http://www.lasersol.com/CyberMotor/p..._2011_mom.html

All we need in IMSA P1 are a couple of manufacturers and then get teams like Dyson back again and urge WTR, Ginassi, etc. to join the fun. Get that going again and the European teams would be happy to join in, I think.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 19:34 (Ref:3566068)   #1341
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
No, the only outrage allowed is that the series in N. America is not a (better) copy of the WEC (as the P-2 class in WEC is going to be a turd in 2017)! Forget that P-1 died a very gaunt specimen in the ALMS prior to any merger thoughts. But I guess it takes a while ....

L.P.
Touting your opinion as fact isnt going to change anyone's mind.

But a couple of facts; new regs for p1 were decided on before TUSC decided to drop lmp1. There were as many p1's as p2's in ALMS's last days.

This makes it look like TUSC dropped the class because they catered to DP teams desire to win races. Now look, nothing but DP's have won races this year and there's but one lmp2. So tell us again, which class died? Or was it actually 'killed'?.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 19:50 (Ref:3566071)   #1342
CyberMotor
Veteran

United States
CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!CyberMotor has a real shot at the podium!
I think IMSA should at least be able to support the privateer level of P1. P1-H may be too advanced, at this time, but shooting to match the P1 privateer class should be achievable. Later, if the P1-H teams want to join the fun, let them.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 19:53 (Ref:3566072)   #1343
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TF110 View Post
Touting your opinion as fact isnt going to change anyone's mind.

But a couple of facts; new regs for p1 were decided on before TUSC decided to drop lmp1. There were as many p1's as p2's in ALMS's last days.
Facts? I suggest you go back and review just exactly what KILLED P-1 in the ALMS! It is not my opinion that the WERKS cars pulled out to join the ILMC > WEC which was the death knell of P-1 in the ALMS. What happened after that was the ALMS trying to regroup and build a sustainable prototype class, but hey, don't let those pesky facts get in the way of it being implied that it is strictly my opinion.

L.P.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 20:02 (Ref:3566074)   #1344
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
P1 in ALMS wasn't exactly overflowing with entries before ILMC came along. Audi spent years running in ALMS and they had their cars pegged back so that teams with cheaper, less developed P2s compete. Of course they were going to leave for a series where they could fight with big teams on a more level playing field.

As for the current IMSA series, P2 doesn't appear to be the top class, frankly. They're second in line to Daytona Prototypes, and are slowed down to let them compete (history repeating itself?). Slower than other P2s, and slower than the DPs.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 20:31 (Ref:3566079)   #1345
TF110
Veteran

United States
TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!TF110 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Facts? I suggest you go back and review just exactly what KILLED P-1 in the ALMS! It is not my opinion that the WERKS cars pulled out to join the ILMC > WEC which was the death knell of P-1 in the ALMS. What happened after that was the ALMS trying to regroup and build a sustainable prototype class, but hey, don't let those pesky facts get in the way of it being implied that it is strictly my opinion.

L.P.
That makes no sense. ALMS didnt drop p1, Tusc did. How did they regroup and build a sustainable prototype class when none of the prototypes (teams) that ran in ALMS run now? All there is now is DP's and one P2 ran by someone who used to run in DP. Factual info there. Not a guess as to what the intention was. There is no 'ALMS' left in prototype. Even ESM gave up and they were all that was left.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 20:36 (Ref:3566080)   #1346
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
P1 in ALMS wasn't exactly overflowing with entries before ILMC came along. Audi spent years running in ALMS and they had their cars pegged back so that teams with cheaper, less developed P2s compete. Of course they were going to leave for a series where they could fight with big teams on a more level playing field.

As for the current IMSA series, P2 doesn't appear to be the top class, frankly. They're second in line to Daytona Prototypes, and are slowed down to let them compete (history repeating itself?). Slower than other P2s, and slower than the DPs.
As the first part of this is moot, as you do say that in fact they left.

The second part is empirically incorrect. COTA 2014, WEC P-2 pole- G-Drive Ligier JSP2 1:56, TUSC P pole- Oak Ligier JSP2 1:57.
As well as Pew (Am) qualifying the MSR JSP2 a full second faster this year than Negri (Pro) qualified the MSR Ford/Riley last year at Mosport.

L.P.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 20:44 (Ref:3566081)   #1347
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
As the first part of this is moot, as you do say that in fact they left.

The second part is empirically incorrect. COTA 2014, WEC P-2 pole- G-Drive Ligier JSP2 1:56, TUSC P pole- Oak Ligier JSP2 1:57.
As well as Pew (Am) qualifying the MSR JSP2 a full second faster this year than Negri (Pro) qualified the MSR Ford/Riley last year at Mosport.

L.P.
Another way of saying they "left" is they were pushed out. Spending lots of money on big expensive cars, then slowed down so others could beat them. When ALMS did have P1 cars, they slowed them down to P2 speed. So whats the point in even having P1s?

And you just need to watch the coverage and see the results to see what the favoured class in IMSA is, frankly.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 20:47 (Ref:3566082)   #1348
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
Quote:
That makes no sense. ALMS didnt drop p1, Tusc did. How did they regroup and build a sustainable prototype class when none of the prototypes (teams) that ran in ALMS run now? All there is now is DP's and one P2 ran by someone who used to run in DP. Factual info there. Not a guess as to what the intention was. There is no 'ALMS' left in prototype. Even ESM gave up and they were all that was left.
http://www.dailysportscar.com/2012/1...t-sebring.html

L.P.

Old 14 Aug 2015, 20:55 (Ref:3566084)   #1349
Jaguar4
Rookie

United States
Grand Rapids, MI
Jaguar4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Even ESM gave up and they were all that was left.
Ed Brown stated they didn't leave IMSA because the BoP or anything like that. Patron wanted to expand their reach globally. You can find his interview on MWM.
Old 14 Aug 2015, 21:06 (Ref:3566086)   #1350
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
I'm wondering if they will finally be able to separate refueling and changing tyres once there is not BoPping of DPs and P2s going on.