Home  
Site Partners: Veloce Books OldRacingCars.com  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > The Chassis History Archive

Old 22 Nov 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1467744)   #26
RAP
Racer

RAP should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"I'm quite sure the factory car was built first, I will update this very shortly."
Dave/John
As per my PM, I am documenting appearances of the Thunderbolt from my programmes. If it helps this aspect of the discussion, the earliest Triumph powered entry I've found so far is at Goodwood 19th March 1960 when Woodhouse raced a 1991cc Tornado colour red. According to Robert Barker's "A Record of Motor Racing at Goodwood " it retired. THe programme doesn't specify the model but presumably the engine means that it is the works-built Thunderbolt.
Richard
Old 10 Dec 2005, 15:51 (Ref:1481236)   #27
DaveM.
Rookie

DaveM. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
USA Thunderbolt

Having spoke to Mr Ford as length recently, it now appears that the car would of been started in late 1961, early 1962. This was estimated as the project took Mr Ford aprox. 18 months to complete. Registration number 345 LNP, first registered July 1963. County records show this to be true. Mr Ford only had Typhoon brochures from the factory and wanted to build a more substantial chassis and a different engine. While working as a mechanic, he had the chance to acquire a 1949 Standard Van. With the body removed and scrapped, the chassis was adapted to have the Typhoon body fitted. Mr Ford never went to the factory, he just sent a cheque off and the body was delivered in specially ordered black. Mr Ford had no knowledge of the factory Thunderbolt and the car was registered as a Standard Special. The engine was the standard 2088cc with 3 speed gearbox and overdrive. Later he fitted a TR3 head. The car was used as daily transport and a fun car and never raced by Mr Ford.
DaveM.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1481242)   #28
DaveM.
Rookie

Many thanks to Richard "RAP". Who did a brilliant job on finding aprox. 40 races for the Thunderbolt between March 1960 and July 1962. I would very much appreciate it if any other dates are known of. Thanks again to richard who supplied dates for the Talisman/Tempest and Typhoon aswell.
DaveM.
Old 10 Dec 2005, 16:41 (Ref:1481262)   #29
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks, Dave; interesting clarification! So, is it correct to say that the car in the USA which carries the WAU 637 reg.no. is in fact a rebuild of 345 LNP, and although now built up to replicate the works car (WAU 637) could quite legitimately carry the no. 345 LNP to acknowledge its origins. Although Mr Ford never raced it, did it race subsequently in the hands of anyone else?
Old 12 Dec 2005, 19:12 (Ref:1482507)   #30
DaveM.
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
WAU 637 reg.no. is in fact a rebuild of 345 LNP, and although now built up to replicate the works car (WAU 637) could quite legitimately carry the no. 345 LNP to acknowledge its origins.
John, that's absolutely right. Having spoken to the original owner he was slightly surprised that the original plate was not used, as a letter of construction and identification of LNP was forwarded to the present owner . WAU 637 has not been on the scene for a while and probably thought would not be because of it's history. I presume the plate was borrowed, thinking there would be no conflict. The registrar has no history of any motorsport in the UK, but with time perhaps something will turn up. As on a previous reply, the car is thought to off raced in the USA before it's rebuild.
DaveM.
Old 9 Sep 2007, 16:32 (Ref:2007751)   #31
autoavia
Rookie

autoavia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't know if it is any help but there are pictures of both the Tempest Competition and the Thunderbolt at www.1950sspecials.com a site which covers just about every small manufacturer who produced bodies and cars in the 1950's.
Old 23 Sep 2008, 23:51 (Ref:2296541)   #32
Alik windrush
Rookie

Alik windrush should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thunderbolt

For anyone who is interested ( and our mutual friend Dave malins can attest) I can account for the 30 'lost years' of the re-bodied thunderbolt as I and a mate owned it for many of them.
Sold originally stretched an rebodied but with the race spec engine, an aquaintence of ours ran it until he crashed it quite spectacularly, magaging to spin at about 105 mph and pushing the engine of a Hillman Imp into the rear seat position.
Fortunately this only required a small fibre glas repair kit for the Tornado and it lived long enough to be sold on.
Laterly my chum decided to conduct a search for the carvia Exchange and Mart; working on the theory that as a one of a kind must turn up then it was just a matter of diligance.
Eventually the car surfaced. Barn stored the race engine had been replaced by a standard vangard unit though the performance triumph head had been refitted. Those that know will apretiate that the triumph head and Vanguard block were incompatable due to the cooling jacket not aligning. My pal bought the car in this condition (it had also been very badly painted)
Despite fitting a TR3 engine the 2 1/2 inch road hieght proved to be a major handicap to using the car as a daily drive. It wouldn't even go onto the MoT ramps and there are only so many garages that are prepared to inspect a vehicle from a trolly jack. (You had to raise the car to get it onto a trolly jack.!!!)
Verified by Dave Malins the car was sold to Eric Martin's son as the only suitable candidate.
I can attest to witnessing Eric Martin Viewing the car and Identifying every single hole he drilled to lighten the chassis. (And pretty much everthing else)
I know a hundred stories about this car but none could compare to seeing Eric re-visit the car he built by hand.

As a post script re the Thunderbolt currently being raced in America; I had extensive contact with the builders and supplied detailed drawing and photographs of the original chassis to them.
I guess that make their car pretty original.

Comments..?
Old 29 Sep 2008, 17:51 (Ref:2300529)   #33
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
This is all pretty interesting stuff, Alik. It certainly fills a gap. About time Dave updated us on the current status of both cars!
Old 30 May 2011, 22:15 (Ref:2888436)   #34
BritishV8
Rookie

BritishV8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BritishRaceCar.com has just published a new feature article about the two ThunderBolts. The article includes three vintage black-and-white photos of WAU637 in action, plus some 58 large color photos of 345LNP as currently raced. With Richard Page's help, we were also able to include a detailed spreadsheet of the earlier car's original racing history.

You'll find it all here:
Design, Construction, and History of Tornado's ThunderBolt Racecars

Old 31 May 2011, 07:56 (Ref:2888527)   #35
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Excellent; well done on the research and article. The rest of the site also looks like a great place to browse.
Old 29 Jan 2013, 22:02 (Ref:3195942)   #36
DaveM.
Rookie

Thunderbolt

Thought I would just add an image of the Thunderbolt as it is today. Thanks gain for all the info....
Attached Thumbnails
ericthunder.JPG  
Old 31 Jan 2013, 11:27 (Ref:3196542)   #37
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Lovely job, Dave. Thanks for pic.