Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 30 May 2007, 07:19 (Ref:1924386)   #26
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesRamone
Does anyone remember an article in autosport, maybe a good year or so ago now, talking about the redevelopment of one of the UK tracks with a look to maybe attracting something like Champ cars or World touring cars. It may have been Snetterton as im sure Jonathan Palmer had something to do with it
I hardly think Snetterton could attract a crowd for anything? To far from civilization-except maybe for BTCC- competitors outnumber spectators Even when they had F1 in the 60s I seem to remember room to move around...
Only circuit I recall plans to redevelop is Anglesey which reopened last weekend. For champcar to be a success it needs street circuits-that would need an Act of Parliament in England-maybe Belfast?
Old 30 May 2007, 09:24 (Ref:1924450)   #27
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Just calling it as I see it Norman. I don't know TG, have never spoken to him and do not need him to do my thinking (such as it is) for me...

That said, imho, positing that CC (or the IRL, for that matter) is any threat to F1 is just nonsensical. There is not a shred of empirical data that could support it.

Sadly for CC, the gate at the Formula Ford Festival will likely be higher than that for any of the CC races...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 30 May 2007, 14:04 (Ref:1924661)   #28
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
georgeboi999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unless they have the CC and the Forumla Ford Festival on the same weekend.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 11:47 (Ref:1926169)   #29
courageous
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chatham, Kent
courageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridcourageous should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob29
For champcar to be a success it needs street circuits-that would need an Act of Parliament in England-maybe Belfast?
The act that allowed the Birmingham superprix is still on the books...
Old 1 Jun 2007, 13:18 (Ref:1926244)   #30
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about Donington? Rockingham road course has the facilities (with a small number of tweaks, track widening and so-on it could hold F1) but does it have the licence?
Old 1 Jun 2007, 20:30 (Ref:1926503)   #31
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
The act that allowed the Birmingham superprix is still on the books...
That's what I would like to see. It would be something different than the usual.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 22:03 (Ref:1926570)   #32
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
That's what I would like to see. It would be something different than the usual.
I agree. The council house residents and bunnyf***ers cancelling the race after the teams have travelled over from the US would be be something really different for CCWS
Old 29 Jun 2007, 12:06 (Ref:1949644)   #33
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I think IRL would do better there? Champcar have given up on ovals.Unfortunately American series have a poor history in UK.Brands & Silverstone 1978,Rockinham 2001,Brands2003? never repeated-mostly due to poor crowds I believe?
Poor crowds? Very possibly - if a meeting isn't commercially viable it ain't gonna happen is it? But that isn't helped by high ticket prices - Rockingham in particular had very expensive tickets considering they were trying to get bums on seats. Yes, the hardcore will pay to get in but persuading the more casual fans to part with money may prove more difficult...
Old 29 Jun 2007, 16:24 (Ref:1949845)   #34
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
I agree. The council house residents and bunnyf***ers cancelling the race after the teams have travelled over from the US would be be something really different for CCWS
Not sure what this was a reply to? Act of Parliament which allowed the Birmingham Superprix AFAIK appplied only to that event and was for a 5 year contract-plans for a longer circuit,and F1 never procceded.
Old 29 Jun 2007, 16:36 (Ref:1949855)   #35
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Not sure what this was a reply to? Act of Parliament which allowed the Birmingham Superprix AFAIK appplied only to that event and was for a 5 year contract-plans for a longer circuit,and F1 never procceded.
Unfortuatly it would be made impossible by the greenies who spring out of the woodwork when motorsport is mentioned. The sort that limit Thruxton to 12 days of racing a year and would complain about any new track built.
Old 2 Jul 2007, 19:25 (Ref:1952718)   #36
CDK 7
Racer

United Kingdom
kings lynn
CDK 7 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
donington or brands good for me
Old 2 Jul 2007, 20:17 (Ref:1952771)   #37
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDK 7
donington or brands good for me
Nah, they've got enough major events, if CCWS went to the UK they would go somewhere different. I'd love to see the Birmingham Superprix brought back
Old 4 Jul 2007, 21:01 (Ref:1954577)   #38
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Knockhill doesnt have any major events seriously, birmingham would be brilliant, but the problem with the UK for street circuits is our damned traffic islands
Old 4 Jul 2007, 21:05 (Ref:1954580)   #39
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
Knockhill doesnt have any major events
Knockhill is probably the worst location for a circuit in the UK - right in the middle of nowhere. Still a great track. In addition, unfortunatly I don't think anything other than a street circuit in Glasgow would be viable for Scotland.

Resurrecting the Birmingham Super Prix would be a good idea, with Bernie's onslaught on Silverstone it could be more F1 than ChampCar.
Old 4 Jul 2007, 23:49 (Ref:1954724)   #40
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Earlier this year I did plan to go to Zolder because it tied in with a week long shut down period at the place where I work, but due to the change date, more than likely due to the FIA deciding the date was too close to the Belgian GP, I can't go, bloody FIA, THERE'S MORE TO MOTORSPORT THAN F1, And I like F1!!
Old 5 Jul 2007, 11:49 (Ref:1955083)   #41
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donnington has to be the best, good viewing, lots of overtaking places,
Old 5 Jul 2007, 15:59 (Ref:1955309)   #42
Frankie Francis
Rookie

England
london
Frankie Francis should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
id like them to runa ll races here.
Old 5 Jul 2007, 16:13 (Ref:1955327)   #43
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The travel expenses for an overseas trip, however a deal is structured, is going to cost somebody and like all sanctioning bodies, CC would require the promoter to pay. These expenses raise the "nut" to break even, so the promoter must make it on drawing a lot of people at high ticket prices or a ton of people at lower ticket prices.

Personally, I'd think anyone in Europe would be watching to see how this year's deal over there goes before signing on any dotted line.
Old 5 Jul 2007, 23:41 (Ref:1955691)   #44
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
To be fair, the Mt Tremblant race was not heavily promoted according to Mr Phillips at Speed TV and the spectator areas are still underdeveloped at Tremblant.

I did watch the 2nd half of the Tremblant race and thought it was funny that one of commercials was for this week's IRL race to be televised on ABC.

On topic, I think it is premature to speculate about CC coming to a local track near one of our posters until after the Euro races have been held and promoters get a feel for what kind of gate they might expect.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 6 Jul 2007, 08:53 (Ref:1955876)   #45
georgeboi999
Racer

Ghana
Barnsley, UK
georgeboi999 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thruxton is a good track. They just need to improve the safety of the track.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 19:28 (Ref:1980084)   #46
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This summer's races in Europe may indicate a much better reception of Champ Car in the UK, due to Bernie's arrogant stewardship of F-1.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 19:40 (Ref:1980097)   #47
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Knockhill is probably the worst location for a circuit in the UK - right in the middle of nowhere.
By which you mean right in the middle of the Central Belt (major urban concentration of Scotland). It is in the middle of nowhere in the grand scheme, though, yes.

Brands or Oultan would be idealistic thoughts disregarding any contradictory realities.

In the world of realities, wouldn't Silverstone be a pretty logical choice? Why not run as a support to F1 (or is that not viable?)?

Last edited by Dutton; 3 Aug 2007 at 19:43.
Old 3 Aug 2007, 20:29 (Ref:1980115)   #48
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.autoindustry.co.uk/news/03-08-07_10
Old 4 Aug 2007, 03:11 (Ref:1980253)   #49
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
With all of the open wheel series being presented in the UK and Europe, the competition for fans has much more to do with the racing rather than any beauty contest regarding Bernie Ecclestone...not to mention sports cars, touring cars, DTM...

CC may be a curiosity and "something different." I doubt that race fans are thinking: "I just don't like that Bernie Ecclestone. I will go to the CC race as a protest to his arrogant stewardship of F1."
Old 4 Aug 2007, 03:18 (Ref:1980256)   #50
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Ah, but it was really quite popular a few years ago.

If CC could somehow sorts itself out, then it would have a market in the UK (imo).