enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewolf
-- Bourdais is so far unimpressive versus Liuzzi's time --
Bourdais' time was set on a wettish day. It would appear by looking at the times that the second day at Spa the track was slower overall.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 12 Jul 2007, 13:07 (Ref:1961563)   #52
Bezzen
Racer

Sweden
Sundsvall
Bezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBezzen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch chap
Not under "normal" circumstances. But this time you'd expect them to be on the same mission: show your speed!
I'm pretty sure both of them were going full attack, but we have no idea what test program they were running. The stop watch just doesn't give us all the variables.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 06:23 (Ref:1962883)   #53
bil588
Veteran

United States
bil588 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope Bourdais doesn't jump to F1 to become a grid filler.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 10:59 (Ref:1962978)   #54
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
No offense, but that is exactly where STR is in the scheme of things.

SB sees this as a chance to step beyond a seat with a field filler.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 03:17 (Ref:1963394)   #55
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Woodland Hills California
Bluewolf has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I believe Bourdais ran 8th both days which is exactly where Liuzzin ran -- On one hand to hold his own in a car he's driven only a few times is good -- on the other hand he ran a lot of laps. You would expect with all the miles he's put in to see some forward movement versus Liuzzi if he really is better. He's not doing that. His time was better but he still was 8th the second day so it's a wash. I think it's not a certainty that he gets the seat -- I wish they would've put Vettel in the car too. I believe he would've been quicker than Bourdais or Liuzzi.

Last edited by Bluewolf; 15 Jul 2007 at 03:26.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 12:12 (Ref:1963542)   #56
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
For a 19 year old, Vettel has shown a lot of speed...

This is my point with Bourdais. There are a ton of drivers out there who are younger and quite possibly, quicker.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 14:30 (Ref:1963626)   #57
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Possibly but not definate which makes hypothesizing pretty much useless.

When it comes down to it, what are the chances that age and outright pace will be the deciding factors in the STR seats?
Old 15 Jul 2007, 15:48 (Ref:1963673)   #58
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
Vettel is an up and coming sort. Likely that he will be bringing some cash with him. Being that he was BMW's test driver and filled in well for Kubica witll make it easier for him to attract sponsorship.

SB is quick in the dry in CC. He is showing (in testing, granted) about the same pace as Speed and Liuzzi. Neither of them are mentioned as anything other than generic F1 drivers. Vettel showed immediate race pace - albeit in a good car - but one he happened to help develop.

So Vettel has age and $$ attracting ability to go with proven speed.

Just as there are a crapload of fast, capable drivers who never got their chance in CC, so it goes with F1. The bottom line is that while SB is capable he is nothing special.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 15:58 (Ref:1963683)   #59
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
SB is quick in the dry in CC. He is showing (in testing, granted) about the same pace as Speed and Liuzzi. Neither of them are mentioned as anything other than generic F1 drivers. Vettel showed immediate race pace - albeit in a good car - but one he happened to help develop.
Luizzi was/is very well respected from his F3000 days, more so than a "generic" driver. You are reading way to much into testing pace John, which is very slightly ambitious without being inside the garage.

Quote:
So Vettel has age and $$ attracting ability to go with proven speed.

The bottom line is that while SB is capable he is nothing special.
Very definitive answers here John, which is interesting. I am not saying Bourdais is a superstar or anything of the such but I think his achievements fall into a little more than capable.

You never know, you might get your wish with Vettel and Bourdias in the same team.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 17:01 (Ref:1983526)   #60
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/070820...-bourdais.html
Old 7 Aug 2007, 17:27 (Ref:1983543)   #61
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So pretty much done deal with Seb to Formula 1 and Speed likely to NHL.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 18:11 (Ref:1983577)   #62
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
I think the only way that we will see Speed in Chaqmp Car is if he retains his Red Bull backing.
Glad to see Bourdais finally get his shot at F1.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 7 Aug 2007, 18:45 (Ref:1983608)   #63
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
I think the only way that we will see Speed in Chaqmp Car is if he retains his Red Bull backing.
Glad to see Bourdais finally get his shot at F1.
Naw -- The absolute least he will get are tests with teams during the offseason and he will pick up a ride if he's fast enough -- and he may even get a shot this year with a struggling team to see if he can better their results -- Neal Jani is fifth in the CC standings right now and when they ran together in GP 2 in 2005 Speed ended up 3rd in the standings to Jani's 4th -- These guys in CC know Speed is quick and will give him a shot - perhaps even with a quick team.
Old 7 Aug 2007, 19:14 (Ref:1983633)   #64
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
I hope he does get a seat. But somebody has to pay for it.
If not Red Bull then who?
Old 8 Aug 2007, 03:36 (Ref:1983651)   #65
Bluewolf
Racer

United States
Well I can't imagine Mcdonalds leaving NHL -- maybe he'll get a shot at Sebass' seat and have Macdonalds behind him. I wish he could still get a shot to at least test with an F1 team offseason -- how bout a test with Williams for Wurtz' seat -- Wurtz is really slow compared to Nico -- they've got to to be testing other drivers for his seat offseason -- I'm not saying Scott deserves his seat -- but I just wish he could test along with other drivers to see if he deserves it.
Old 8 Aug 2007, 04:35 (Ref:1983684)   #66
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
One of the better recent contenders for Worst Kept Secret In History.

I am very happy that he is (seemingly) going to get his chance. Here is hoping it works out for him.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 02:50 (Ref:1984586)   #67
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
Wurz is really slow.... 2 Fourth placings.... (Europe and Canada)

No one else outside BMW, Ferrari and McLaren drivers have manged that....!!!!!!
Old 9 Aug 2007, 03:00 (Ref:1984587)   #68
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
to bad bourdais gets his shot at F1 in a back marker team however...if he show well, who would call him up? Renault? a French driver in a "French" Car (it based in the UK right?)
or would Bourdais languish in the back? and this would only make Champcar look like it was on par with Nissan/renault world series or worse
Old 9 Aug 2007, 03:53 (Ref:1984599)   #69
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I thought Bourdais and Flav/Renault weren't on good terms?

If he performs in STR, then I would've thought RBR would be interested at least. Williams have a record of giving CC guys a shot. In terms of generalities, well, I would've thought any of the midfield teams would be interested if he shows well in STR.

The odds are stacked against him, no doubt, but he has to take the chance to give a shot. At worst he has a brief F1 career; at best he has a longer, more successful one.

He will always have rides open to him in sportscars/GT and North America. Even an unsuccessful F1 career would be a benefit in this regard (IMO).

I just don't think he has that much to lose.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 09:38 (Ref:1984752)   #70
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
No it is not a sure thing for Speed to go to CC. Look at the guys who couldn't get a ride there this season. Heck, how long did Mika Salo last without having a suitcase full of $$?

If Speed does not keep the Red Bull $$ he might as well look for a test drive in F1 - which is probably what he is doing, actually.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 10:05 (Ref:1984763)   #71
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
No it is not a sure thing for Speed to go to CC. Look at the guys who couldn't get a ride there this season. Heck, how long did Mika Salo last without having a suitcase full of $$?

If Speed does not keep the Red Bull $$ he might as well look for a test
drive in F1 - which is probably what he is doing, actually.
It's funny how you are soon to smack down the fact he could go to Champ Car. Scott is likely done with F1 and NHL are looking at him as their favourite to take over the seat. It's not rocket science. And about McDonalds, I'm sure they would stay with NHL because an American would be taking the seat and he raced Formula 1 which would surely not be a negative.

Last edited by luke; 9 Aug 2007 at 10:09.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 10:44 (Ref:1984787)   #72
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
It is not at all a smack down. Drivers who are in F1 want to stay there, even if it means taking a testing job. Wurz, De la Rosa, Massa, McNish, Klein, Glock and Panis are all drivers who have taken testing jobs after having a race seat or while waiting for a race seat.

STR has barely removed all the Scott Speed nametags from things at this point so it is far too early to say he will end up in CC. Is it a possibility? Sure. But Speed himself (as has Liuzzi) indicated that they wish to stay in F1 first and foremost.

Look how long it has taken Bourdais to land a seat with a team. I do not think that any driver currently in F1 are going to give up on it just like that. To my way of thinking, to just run right out and secure a CC race seat would not demonstrate the "commitment" that so many F1 Team Principles emphasize.

As far as McDonalds sponsorship goes, I do not think the driver makes a jot of difference to them. I do not know if it is different in Europe or Canada, but I have never seen a single in-store promotion of either CC or Bourdais, with the possible exception of a mention of their association with Newman and his charity work.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 9 Aug 2007 at 10:46.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 10:59 (Ref:1984798)   #73
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The McDonald's sponsorship is Newman-B2B driven. The driver really doesn't matter to the sponsor in this particular scenario.

I fail to understand why it's a given that NHL is looking to Speed for a seat. NHL has the rest of THIS season to concern itself with and never says a word till January or so about its drivers for that year and sometimes it's a surprise. Whole lot of shakin' has to go on before that's a "final answer."
Old 9 Aug 2007, 14:23 (Ref:1984910)   #74
D.R.T.
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by indycool
I fail to understand why it's a given that NHL is looking to Speed for a seat.
Not a final word, but didnt Muzza have a post which included the line that NHL had more than one eye on Scott Speed for 2008.
Old 9 Aug 2007, 16:48 (Ref:1984996)   #75
indycool
Veteran

Hadn't seen it, but Muzza's usually right about such things.......it just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.