Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 6 Aug 2010, 09:51 (Ref:2740288)   #1
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Moto 2 or WSBK...

If you ran a Moto GP team that had loads of cash & could afford to pay riders where would you sign a rider from - Moto 2 or WSBK?

Take Elias & Biaggi out of the mix, which of the following riders would be fast in the premier class?

From Moto 2 : Thomas Luthi ,Andrea Iannone, Julian Simon, Shoya Tomizawa, Simone Corsi, Jules Cluzel, Gabor Talmacsi, Sergio Gadea....

or

From WSBK : Leon Haslam, Jonathan Rea, Cal Crutchlow, Leon Camier - hmm, there all Brits

Maybe other riders i have missed?
Old 6 Aug 2010, 10:32 (Ref:2740310)   #2
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would pick Simeon and Badovini!! AND HAVE THE BEST TRUCKS, HOSPITALITY AND PIT BABES!!
Old 6 Aug 2010, 13:21 (Ref:2740375)   #3
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd have Tomizawa and Cluzel like a flash, and budget for a lot of crashes.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2740422)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Moto2 guys will know the tracks, but the WSBK guys have ridden more similar machinery. The deciding factor is perhaps that the Moto2 grid is generally younger and has more proven pedigree elsewhere - was it 19 who'd won either 125 or 250 races in the past? Simeon and Badovini aren't serious contenders for MotoGP rides for a couple of years, but longterm I'd look at they, Lascorz, Tamburini and Gino Rea in addition to the Moto2, 125 and WSBK regulars.

For entertainment value, Moto2 is on top though.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 15:21 (Ref:2740450)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Luthi or Iannone for the 800's.

Luthi is quick and consistent while Iannone can be absolutely brilliant.

Now when the liter bikes kick in for the premier class, I might start looking at superbike again. Camier or Crutchlow probably. Although, Camier is quite a big lad, so not sure. Actually, probably Eugene Laverty.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 16:16 (Ref:2740493)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Simeon is a multiple Superstock champion and Badovini is one of the most underrated riders in WSBK or Superstock. I would also look at Maxin Berger from Ten Kate.

My ambition for this team is solely to concentrate on giving young riders a chance, not just plonking on some idiot who will crash every week and not really achieve anything, but maybe a podium now and then. This is guys like Cluzel, Iannone and Luthi sadly.

If winning was the sole objective I would perhaps look at Rea and Laverty? in Moto 2 certainly, Crutchlow is definately a contender in 2.

But for Moto GP, depends on the rules really! If they brought back 1000cc with no TC and electronics, Hayden and Gibernau!! They can steer with the rear as could Toseland, Haslam, Checa. And they would all be cheap!!
Old 6 Aug 2010, 21:29 (Ref:2740663)   #7
rusty46
Rookie

England
ely cambs
rusty46 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Marc Marquez in the 125's.Iannone is exciting, Cluzel is promising rider. Leon Camier has done a good job on the Aprillia and yes my money would be with J.Rea or Eugene Laverty.
Old 6 Aug 2010, 21:39 (Ref:2740667)   #8
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now he has found his Mojo I think Marquez is going to be a very hot property. Lets hope he does'nt lose it before Brno!
Old 28 Aug 2010, 08:34 (Ref:2751330)   #9
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
McLean Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Elias was only a fringe dweller in GP, so if he's the benchmark in Moto2 I can't imagine there's many world beaters in there.

Crutchlow would have been better served in Moto2 than WSBK for sure.
Old 28 Aug 2010, 12:10 (Ref:2751381)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I think Cal is thinking long term rather than short term.

GP is where you want to be if yiou can be, it's the best pay on two wheels, he can ride the bike like a Supersport coz thats what 800's need, and he can still fall back afterwards with his head high.

I believe if he wanted quick success then yes Moto2 would have been better, but it pays these days to be allied to a manufacturer, he is heavily backed by Monster and they are allied to Tech-3 so it's common sense he goes there really.

Having said that I am doubtful he will get decent kit and also that the he will do any beter than Toseland. Flipside, he can ride the front end better than JT in my opinion so he might get on well in 800?
Old 28 Aug 2010, 18:21 (Ref:2751486)   #11
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What about Sofuoglu on a Moto 2 bike? He's done about all he can in WSS and I'm not sure he'd be eager to go back to superbike.
Old 28 Aug 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2751545)   #12
rich_cooper
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottinghamshire
rich_cooper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I cant stand Sofuoglu! He is the most miserable sod in the world!

As for the team. I would go with Leon Haslam and Iannone. And i would stick Eugene Laverty on a 3rd bike if the cash was left!
Old 28 Aug 2010, 22:45 (Ref:2751579)   #13
McLean Fan
Racer

Australia
Currumbin
McLean Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trouble is, no World Supersport rider has ever made an impression in GP. In fact most WSS champions have had very faltering careers.

I'm hoping Moto2 bridges the divide.
Old 30 Aug 2010, 17:43 (Ref:2752332)   #14
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Some WSS riders have done OK no a superbike. Josh Brookes is going alright in the UK. Crutchlow is not doing bad. Pitt I think was given a raw deal by Yamaha in WSBK after giving them a win and being dumped for Corser. Vermuelen was another as was Whitham.

But you are right, most have been awful. Muggeridge, Foret, Chambon, Fujiwara, Sofuoglu, Charpentier. It seems to me that you cant be dominant on a WSS bike and then transfer it unless you are prepared to learn again or be aware that they are very different machines.

Most would suit a Moto2 biie I imagine.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2755761)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
Now he has found his Mojo I think Marquez is going to be a very hot property. Lets hope he does'nt lose it before Brno!
Well I got that wrong didnt I? He bust his collarbone or somesuch in practice! Still he was back to his winning ways at Misano.
Old 7 Sep 2010, 16:05 (Ref:2755764)   #16
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghinzani View Post
I'd have Tomizawa and Cluzel like a flash, and budget for a lot of crashes.

Sadly thats not an option any more with Tomizawas sad death, although both Jules and Shoya showed flashes in 250's their skill was hidden by the machinery. This year has been different, and you can tell by the tribute Honda paid they had their eye on Shoya for 2012 I expect... I wonder if Tech3 are thinking they would like to swap De Rosa for him right now - I hope we see Jules on one of their bikes next year.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 10:14 (Ref:2756105)   #17
N.A-D.R
Veteran

Australia
Australia
N.A-D.R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Moto2 for me. It's a proven category and very high numbers!

There are plenty of riders in Moto2 who are very talented but what do you guys think about Ratthapark Wilairot? Hes racing a Bimota (only 2 riders in the field are) and is dominating his team-mate every weekend by over a second pace wise. With a top machine i think he can do wonders! He has already shown flashes of pure speed like Assen where he qualified 2nd and finished 4th missing out by half a tenth for his first podium, and places like Barcelona Indianapolis where he qualified well inside the top 8 but retired from both. Hes only 18th in the championship but has been in the points in many occasions almost all races but has been hindered by mistakes or unfortunate bike problems. Just at San Marino he qualified 32nd with bike problems and ended up finishing 12th. I predict at Sepang he will have a big opportunity for that podium he is oh so close to getting.
Old 8 Sep 2010, 18:01 (Ref:2756308)   #18
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
I think we have to bring Elias back into the discussion. He's been top 5 in Moto 2 all year with Silverstone the only anomaly. I'm not arguing that he should be on a factory bike or anything, but why wouldn't you want him on your team? He'll probably never be consistent top finisher in GP, but he's good for points and the odd good finish. Pair him along side a young hot shot and you've done well I think.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 02:03 (Ref:2757537)   #19
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Toni's last two wins, whilst being sick as a dog are a measure of the man - he really has found consistancy this year. I hope he gets back to Moto GP and keeps it.
Old 11 Sep 2010, 09:38 (Ref:2757606)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Errrm, that'll be a no then!

Elias is a proven inconsistent rider in GP, he was ona factory bike a few years back with a dcent engineer and was awful.

He can't ride the bike on normal front tyres and always wanted a special front tyre, hence his inability to cope with the normal stuff.

I imagine 2 doesnt need such a strong setup so he can compensate, as many riders have who cant transfer good 250 speed to GP, the list is endless.

You cant keep giving guys like this a chance sadly.
Old 13 Sep 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2758661)   #21
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hope he stays in Moto 2 - dont deserve a Moto GP bike again! Not after 1 season in Moto 2 anyway...