Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 7 Aug 2012, 09:54 (Ref:3117023)   #1
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gran Turismo 6

I thoguht since the rumours have started and so has development, now may be the time to start a new thread.

It is reported that the first GT Academy Winner Lucas Ordanez said that GT6 was to feature a massive number of tracks. Kazunori Yamamuchi has also confirmed development has started and he is involved.

With rumours circulating that Bathurst could be one addition to the circuit list, along with the Spa DLC & return of Twin Ring Motegi to GT5, it all looks very promising.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 7 Aug 2012, 10:14 (Ref:3117026)   #2
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam46 View Post
it all looks very promising.
It usually does - then there's the drawn out development process, the pushed back release dates and the eventual release to large choruses of "is that it?". Don't get me wrong - I like the GT games but GT5 wasn't a big enough step forward for me from GT4 given the time spent on it. The old problems are still there (how many different skylines?), small grids and the rallying still sucks. Did they mention the platform? Is it PS3 or PS4 they're aiming for?
Old 7 Aug 2012, 12:17 (Ref:3117081)   #3
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They haven't said anything. All Playstation's have had two main GT games on them. Yamumuchi did say that where as GT5 was a fresh start, GT6 will take less time to develop because GT5 will be used as it's base.

I still think it is destined for the second half of the decade on PS4 though!

Old 8 Aug 2012, 06:13 (Ref:3117429)   #4
IceMan_PJN
Racer

United States
Ohio
IceMan_PJN has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2 View Post
It usually does - then there's the drawn out development process, the pushed back release dates and the eventual release to large choruses of "is that it?". Don't get me wrong - I like the GT games but GT5 wasn't a big enough step forward for me from GT4 given the time spent on it. The old problems are still there (how many different skylines?), small grids and the rallying still sucks. Did they mention the platform? Is it PS3 or PS4 they're aiming for?
This.

I've always contended that GT5 was a good game and a must-buy for any PS3 owner who loves cars, motorsports, or both, but at the same time have been openly critical of its shortcomings and flaws. The fact is that while Gran Turismo may still do great in some regards, as a total package it just falls short of Forza Motorsport, and Turn 10 churns out superior products in a fraction of the time. While there was a span of many years during which Gran Turismo was the console driving game to have, the one by which everyone else was measured and came up short, those days look to be in the past rather than the future. Forza Motorsport is now what Gran Turismo used to be.

I'm still going to get GT6, and I expect to like it well enough, but at the same time still expect to be on message boards ripping it apart for the long list of ways that it missed the mark.
Old 8 Aug 2012, 17:56 (Ref:3117678)   #5
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not something I will be clamouring up to get.

Althought I appreciated some of the elements of GT5, after playing a lot of sims on the PC, console gaming pales into insignificance when compared to this rather outdated wannabe simulation.

I would have more time for the game if they used up to date cars and didnt keep regurgitating cars that appeared on the very first versions of the game.

it is a tired format, but it sells like hotcakes and the uberfans seem to like that fact there are 15 Skylines and 140 different Evo's to buy, so it wont change.
Old 8 Aug 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3117694)   #6
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
^ I think the Skyline/Evo ratio goes the other way!

All of your points are valid but I will still at least hire it out to see.

Old 8 Aug 2012, 18:49 (Ref:3117696)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I didn't realise they'd finished GT5 yet
Old 8 Aug 2012, 20:09 (Ref:3117715)   #8
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
^ Probably because they never will!

Old 9 Aug 2012, 08:42 (Ref:3117854)   #9
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Althought I appreciated some of the elements of GT5, after playing a lot of sims on the PC, console gaming pales into insignificance when compared to this rather outdated wannabe simulation.
But console gaming doesn't involve all the faffing about to get the PC version working properly (also I only have a laptop - and that's not idealfor gaming!).

Quote:
I would have more time for the game if they used up to date cars and didnt keep regurgitating cars that appeared on the very first versions of the game.
There are plenty of up to date cars in GT5, but I agree that there are a lot that add nothing to the game (oh look - a 2CV just what I've always wanted. Or not.)

Quote:
it is a tired format, but it sells like hotcakes and the uberfans seem to like that fact there are 15 Skylines and 140 different Evo's to buy, so it wont change.
Again it's a fair point, the format is looking dated and the jump from GT4 to GT5 wasn't as big as I hoped. I could also happily live without the plethora of Skylines - have the different models but I don't need 25 different trim levels for each iteration of Skyline.

All in all I'm enjoying GT5 but it could (should?) have been better - maybe GT6 will be "the one"?
Old 9 Aug 2012, 11:46 (Ref:3117910)   #10
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Lol Bert

If you are trying to play games on a laptop then you are not even trying!!

Seriously most games are not hard work, but on a laptop you are on a hiding to nothing!!
Old 9 Aug 2012, 12:51 (Ref:3117934)   #11
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Lol Bert

If you are trying to play games on a laptop then you are not even trying!!

Seriously most games are not hard work, but on a laptop you are on a hiding to nothing!!
But a laptop is just so much more convenient than a desktop for everything I need to do on a PC at home - sure I could go out an buy a desktop just for gaming, but then I've got to find somewhere to put it (and I guess it'd be a lot more expensive than the ps3).
Old 9 Aug 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3117945)   #12
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
^ Yes Bert it would be! For a super-duper gaming PC you need to be able to happily kiss goodbye to a 4-figure amount of Money!

Old 9 Aug 2012, 13:41 (Ref:3117950)   #13
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
One thing that has always bothered me about the GT series is the stupid/slow AI. I've only played GT5 a couple times at a friend's house so I don't remember how competitive the AI was but I do own GT4 (proud to have 100%) and the AI was terrible!

Also, the lack of cars to race against is disappointing! I hope they can increase it once again.

I know graphics are very nice and very appealing to customers but gameplay and "fun" are also important.
"Fun" is what the GT series is missing now-a-days IMO.
Old 9 Aug 2012, 13:49 (Ref:3117952)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamus View Post
One thing that has always bothered me about the GT series is the stupid/slow AI. I've only played GT5 a couple times at a friend's house so I don't remember how competitive the AI was but I do own GT4 (proud to have 100%) and the AI was terrible!
The AI is better in GT5 but there is definitely room for improvement still, it's not quite as boneheaded as before (it doesn't turn into a corner regardless of whether you're alongside quite so often now).

Quote:
Also, the lack of cars to race against is disappointing! I hope they can increase it once again.
Again this has improved but I agree - I want 20+ grids in races. Hopefully this is something GT6 will address.

Quote:
I know graphics are very nice and very appealing to customers but gameplay and "fun" are also important.
"Fun" is what the GT series is missing now-a-days IMO.
I find this is a problem with a lot of games really not just GT5, there is very much a problem of "style over content" and many games that look great don't have the playing experience to match.
Old 10 Aug 2012, 15:03 (Ref:3118385)   #15
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
I can play high res everything, IR, RF1 and 2 on my 400 quid PC with a 200 quid monitor.

So ner
Old 10 Aug 2012, 15:19 (Ref:3118391)   #16
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Quote:
I can play high res everything, IR, RF1 and 2 on my 400 quid PC with a 200 quid monitor.

So ner
OK so it's a £600 setup vs £200 for a PS3. For the amount of time I spend playing games it's a no-brainer. Console wins
Old 10 Aug 2012, 17:05 (Ref:3118416)   #17
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Oh okay, I guess if I had a bit more money and something to keep a racecar in I would be the same
Old 11 Aug 2012, 19:44 (Ref:3118769)   #18
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't get where people think Forza is better than GT 5. In GT you get varied race lengths, championships, weather, true24 hr races. In Forza it seems more like get in 1 car do a few races, get in another ,do the same but with other cars.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 04:20 (Ref:3118858)   #19
FordCosworthPanoz
Veteran

Bermuda
Flatts Village
FordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFordCosworthPanoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gran Turismo 6, coming to a game shelf near you in 2041.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 04:46 (Ref:3118861)   #20
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
In terms of content, the two big things would be to cut out some of the redundant cars, and also to update a number of the tracks from previous GTs. El Capitan, chicane-less Fuji, and Grindelwald should be in there, along with the urban street circuits from GT4. Also, there NEEDS to be a "London Long" street circuit.

The other thing that I think I would agree with from some of the reviews is that the menus and such could do with some simplification. Do good, simple menus, with music to match, and save the processing power and graphics for the actual cars, tracks, and racing.

Overall, the BIG thing I have liked about GT over Forza has been the continuity of tracks used through the games. Keep adding new ones, of course, but keep the good tracks (which most of the original GT ones have been good) for the subsequent games in the series.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 09:46 (Ref:3118908)   #21
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
The track thing is one the main reasons why i DONT like Gt.

I have been doing races on High Speed Ring for sodding years! I like to learn new tracks and push the envelope on them

GT5 had hardly any new tracks. Now dont get me wrong, theya re very well done as always, but the reason I don't like the game is the endless supply of cars that have been in the game for 400 years and the tracks that never go away.

trial mountain, deep forest, grand valley, for Gods sake they are all 10 + years old.

It goes to show how lazy Polyphony can afford to be to be honest

At least in Forza they coem up with new ideas and new tricks, the graphics are good, the sounds are far. far superior and the tracks are a little quirky and different

I mean, I think I did my first race on Autumn sodding Ring when I was in my 20's, I am now in my 40's and if I got this new game would still be racing there!

Tired boys, you will always sell millions so just keep churning out the same old pixels!!
Old 12 Aug 2012, 18:08 (Ref:3119034)   #22
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I think it's fine as long as you keep adding some new tracks each time. Of course, you also cull the bad ones, but there haven't been many bad ones among the original tracks in GT.

Sportscars may run at Road America every year, but I don't get tired of the place, and I challenge you to find a definitively better track on the North American continent. Not to mention, a new track is never likely to be built that could measure up to the "old school" greats. So, I find your attitude about the tracks in GT a bit silly.

Forza aggravates me because they don't carry over most of their original or city tracks, and some of them have been good tracks. Blue Mountain was very nice, and the Rio street circuit was just wild. And they didn't carry over Rally di Positano from Forza 3 to FM4. They have the short course (Costa di Amalfi), but not that long circuit set in the same environment. At least they still have Maple Valley, Camino Viejo de Montserrat, and Fujimi Kaido, though I kind of expect the latter two to be gone by Forza 5.

(Maybe one of these games will put in the Madonie Piccolo (short course for the Targa Florio) someday. Then, it will take you at least 10 years just to learn the circuit, let alone become optimized for it.)
Old 12 Aug 2012, 18:54 (Ref:3119044)   #23
Salamus
Veteran

Canada
Ontario
Salamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSalamus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Humans are so comical! On one side of the argument, if GT5 keeps the old circuits, people will complain about lack of new content. Yet if GT5 gets rid of the old circuits, people will complain that they didn't keep any of the "classics".

I think the GT series has done a reasonable job of keeping old circuits and bringing in new circuits. Although I wish more real circuits were put into the game.
Old 12 Aug 2012, 20:04 (Ref:3119069)   #24
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
I've been doing the numbers on hew many circuits in each category that each game series has, and even with all the turn-over, Forza is still a ways behind GT; they're presently tied on how many real world circuits each series has featured.

Gran Turismo:
City Circuits- 18
Dirt and Snow Courses- 15
Original Circuits- 13
Real World Circuits- 15

Forza Motorsport:
City Circuits- 4
Original Circuits- 9
Real World Circuits- 15

With circuits that exist in the real world, I counted each facility as one track. With the others, if a track had a base layout with extensions for other layouts, I only counted it as one. If, however, it was under the same label, but there were multiple, independent tracks under that umbrella name, each one counts as a track.

So, Camino Viejo de Montserrat encompasses the "old school" track layout, plus Iberian Int'l Circuit and Ladera Test Track, because they're all joined together, and can be run as such using the "Extreme Circuit" option.

In Gran Turismo, the old Smokey Mountain title has three completely separate tracks: two dirt, and one a mix of dirt and a paved section.

As for real world circuits, some more would be nice, but a number of the good ones are already covered. That being said, I would like to see Mosport, Potrero de los Funes, and Philip Island, just to name a few.

Last edited by Purist; 12 Aug 2012 at 20:29.
Old 30 Aug 2012, 10:21 (Ref:3127302)   #25
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart thompson View Post
I don't get where people think Forza is better than GT 5. In GT you get varied race lengths, championships, weather, true24 hr races. In Forza it seems more like get in 1 car do a few races, get in another ,do the same but with other cars.
Really, both are very tired gaming concepts. The fact that they mirror each other in terms of content makes this even worse!

Basically, these games are still running on a premise first thought up in 1995 by Yamauchi.

Forza wins by virtue of the fact they don't spend six years bigging up another helping of the same, just the two!