Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 31 Aug 2001, 20:26 (Ref:139189)   #1
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MG ......... Mansell, Hill or Neal in 3rd Car???

MG are still in talks to secure the 3rd driver for next year and looking at the poeple sort listed it will be big news.
Mansell was apparently talking to MG at Donnington Park on Tuesday although reports to me suggest the problem here appears Mansell wants to be the lead driver which causes problems with Reids contract.
Matt Neal is an option although rumour has it he would prefer to sit out and wait for the Team Dyamics set up to secure the ex works Jason Plato car so he can join up with his old team.
Hill is the easy option as he is not driving, but it appears they prefer Mansell over Hill who has experience with saloons and MG realise that the Mansell factor is greater than the Hill factor.The Hill situations depends on the Mansell situation not going ahead from what I hear.
Other drivers could come out but at present it is clear that MG are going to go for a top line driver and British looks on the cards.
James Thompson as also been mentioned.
Old 31 Aug 2001, 20:34 (Ref:139192)   #2
AndyF
Veteran

AndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndyF should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I am not sure if Mansell OR Hill would relish the chance to drive a third car - but may look to be no. 1 driver!
Old 31 Aug 2001, 21:42 (Ref:139261)   #3
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!Sodemo has a real shot at the podium!
Hhm, i'm certainly taking all of this Mansell and Hill talk with a healthy pinch of salt. Do you think there is a real chance that either of these will be in an MG next year?
Old 31 Aug 2001, 22:10 (Ref:139290)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mansell, lead driver? You've gotta be joking! Reid will put him in his place, if he joins the team.
Old 31 Aug 2001, 22:21 (Ref:139301)   #5
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Thommo would be an option if Vauxhall don't grab the funding they apparently need from an external source. As would PB....

Also, Reidy wouldn't accept Mansell as lead driver, and Reidy would blow him away anyway. If Nige wants to be Number 1, he should prove it on the track, not demand it in his contract.
Old 31 Aug 2001, 22:26 (Ref:139304)   #6
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
ditto.
Old 31 Aug 2001, 22:27 (Ref:139307)   #7
Guy Goddard
Racer

Guy Goddard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by touringlegend
Mansell, lead driver? You've gotta be joking! Reid will put him in his place, if he joins the team.
I tend to agree with you which may lead to him not being in the car,however I think he will still be put in place as a consultant to the team if the drive is not on, its not an outragous idea to put either Hill or Mansell in the car as it really depends on MG's overall objectives.
From a driving point of view Matt Neal would be the obvious person but I can't see any of these drivers wanting to be a 3rd driver especially Mansell.
Old 31 Aug 2001, 22:36 (Ref:139317)   #8
Kelvin
Veteran

Kelvin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mansell has had his day and the British public know it, he would not do MG any favours. Stick with two cars and pump any fee Mansell or anyone else woukld have earned into the team.

Kelvin.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 17:58 (Ref:140232)   #9
hunttheshunt
Veteran

hunttheshunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Also, concerning Matt Neal, i would have thought for next year he will wait to get a 2001 Astra and let Team Dynamics run it and mount a realistic championship challenge. This would make sense as he would have the sponsorship, support and attention solely on himself.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 19:03 (Ref:140248)   #10
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
I think he will get a 2001 Astra, and isn't their going to be a independents championship next year?
Old 2 Sep 2001, 20:23 (Ref:140284)   #11
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why would Mansell or Hill want to ruin their reputations in the BTCC? Although it was funny when Dr Jonathon Palmer made a complete fool of himself a few years back when F1 tired of him. I'd hate to see Damon tarnish his reputation like that. Matt Neal would be a good option though.