Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 2 Dec 2002, 16:47 (Ref:441227)   #1
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Dark Side (negative rank)

YES. I've just got a negative rank on GPL, -1.849 to be precise. It gets even better, in doing so I got under 8:30 at the 'ring for the first time to.
Old 2 Dec 2002, 17:39 (Ref:441266)   #2
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

Tony_Simpson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done, I only got there a couple fo weeks ago myself and am at -2.2 atm,
Old 2 Dec 2002, 18:53 (Ref:441308)   #3
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
ive improved my rank to +55.780 which im quite chuffed about because i haven't played properly since i acheived +58 which was about a week and a half ago, im reaching benchmarks - like finding that i can handle some corners at higher speeds and learning circuits well enough to feel confident and not worry about spinning.

well done ozy, thats a damn-good handicap!

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 2 Dec 2002, 19:05 (Ref:441310)   #4
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
cheers guys, btw juan what does your profile mean?
Old 2 Dec 2002, 19:21 (Ref:441316)   #5
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
my sig means:

now listen carefully children...i am the voice from out of your pillow

neat huh?

my profile means that i eat pot plants and i have a morbid fascination with staplers - as well as holding the beleif that Squirells will one day become militant.

Old 2 Dec 2002, 23:11 (Ref:441443)   #6
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: The Dark Side (negative rank)

Quote:
Originally posted by ozywoodwards
YES. I've just got a negative rank on GPL, -1.849 to be precise. It gets even better, in doing so I got under 8:30 at the 'ring for the first time to.

I noticed that before I came here - having visited GPL Rank first. Had to check in just to offer my congrats - well done. I sincerely hope to be joining you very soon!
Old 2 Dec 2002, 23:13 (Ref:441444)   #7
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
I'm sure you will be, just one good lap at the 'ring and you'll be there.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 13:30 (Ref:442559)   #8
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
I'm sure you will be, just one good lap at the 'ring and you'll be there.
Yes............

I spent a whole evening trying to get just one good lap with no success (as you'll see from one of the other threads). Still, there's always tonight.......
Old 27 Dec 2002, 16:33 (Ref:458263)   #9
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread of Ozy's, because I have every intention of making the trip across to the dark side myself before the end of this weekend! Only 1.122 secs to go, and I don't think I even need to go faster at the Ring to do it.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 19:48 (Ref:460373)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry.

Just did an 8:28 at the Ring (and no, I just missed out on your time, Juan), but it ensured my easy passage to the Dark Side! A little later than I'd hoped, but I did it in the new GPLEA 36valve Ferrari with a brand new setup I'd not used before.

I'm really rather chuffed.

Old 30 Dec 2002, 19:53 (Ref:460385)   #11
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
well done aysedasi. going negative in GPL is easily the most satisfying thing you can do in a computer game.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 20:00 (Ref:460395)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
well done aysedasi. going negative in GPL is easily the most satisfying thing you can do in a computer game.
You're so right - it could be days before I lose this smile.....

I've saved the replay so I'll pick some pics out to post later.

Thanks for the congrats anyway. After the frustration of going faster everywhere over the last few days, everywhere except the Ring that is, it really is one of life's little magical moments.

The good thing is that now I've done it, I'm not worried about it any more. I can go and drive on VROC to my heart's content and if I improve a time, all well and good. I can also get some laps in on some of those add-on circuits I've been missing the last few weeks.

(Now everyone who's never driven GPL will think we're nuts!).

Last edited by Aysedasi; 30 Dec 2002 at 20:01.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 20:36 (Ref:460420)   #13
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
My proud moment.....
Attached Thumbnails
justcomingdarth.jpg  
Old 30 Dec 2002, 22:34 (Ref:460498)   #14
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

ok, so you can hot lap, next thing to do is get a zero race handicap, and no you can not just run low fuel and hot lap in a race, you have to finish the race as well.

To start us off my race handicap is +12.5 or so atm, and that will be alot lower soon.
Old 30 Dec 2002, 23:47 (Ref:460561)   #15
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How does the handicap work Tony?
Old 31 Dec 2002, 01:46 (Ref:460637)   #16
Tony_Simpson
Veteran

there is a set lap time for everyone of the origional circuits, if you go under that time you get a negative rank for that one circuit. If you do it for most of them then you could get a negative rank.

GPLRank is clever as it has a fastest lap rank and a race rank as well as others so the first challenge is to get a zero rank overall, then a race zero rank then all cars with a zero rank in both the race and overall.THen you can try at every circuit ever run for gpl, you must be sad to try that one.
Old 31 Dec 2002, 08:17 (Ref:460745)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Tony_Simpson
ok, so you can hot lap, next thing to do is get a zero race handicap, and no you can not just run low fuel and hot lap in a race, you have to finish the race as well.
Whilst I accept that to an extent, you can still sret fast race laps which count towards your GPL Race Ranking, without finishing races. I've lost count of the number of disconnections I see after the usual T1 carnage (as I've come to call it). My Race Rank is currently pretty poor - +93.79, but then I'm +96 at the Ring, as I've only ever done 1 race lap there - 9m58!!So I ought to be able to chop more than a minute off of that pretty quickly (and with the added confidence of my lap last night, I will be trying my luck as soon as possible online).

As it happens, I have negative race laps for 6 of the 11 circuits and I'm within a fraction of a second at 3 others - e.g. 8/100ths out at Zandvoort.

Since I started racing online about 3 weeks ago, I've only done about 3 hours of "hot-lapping", 2 hours last Friday and an hour last night. What's more, I've no great interest in it, now that I've achieved the negative. I'm more concerned about racing, and not just in the Lotus, Ferrari and Eagle, I spend just as much time in the other 4 less fashionable cars as well.

So I'm all for encouraging you all to race online, particularly with our new league coming up soon, but whatever you think, there's nothing quite like that first "negative moment"
Old 1 Jan 2003, 21:16 (Ref:461678)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Well, I've done some damage to that Race Rank today +93 yesterday down to +8 today!
Old 1 Jan 2003, 21:38 (Ref:461692)   #19
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi

Just did an 8:28 at the Ring (and no, I just missed out on your time, Juan), but it ensured my easy passage to the Dark Side! A little later than I'd hoped, but I did it in the new GPLEA 36valve Ferrari with a brand new setup I'd not used before.

well done Ayse, i must say i commend your acheivement - and you beat me, though of course in my modesty i must uncatergorically state that if i hadn't moved this month (and lost 2 weeks' running time) i may have gone negative......next year

8m28 in a scarlet's not bad - i could have bumped my time from the 8m40's to the 30's if i wasn't tempted by the Eagle, but not the 20's...WELL DONE!!! (give us that setup )

+19...only Monaco, Kyalami and Mexico to master then im absolutely on target for the dark side.

Old 1 Jan 2003, 23:31 (Ref:461736)   #20
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just had a look at the GPL track data base and it says the world record for the Nurburgring is 7:44.504!!!! How on earth can someone be the best part of a minute quicker than you guys!?
Old 2 Jan 2003, 08:13 (Ref:461866)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Just had a look at the GPL track data base and it says the world record for the Nurburgring is 7:44.504!!!! How on earth can someone be the best part of a minute quicker than you guys!?
I've actually got a replay, not of that lap, but of a 7:45 - awesome - just plain unbelievable.

I did a race at Nurby yesterday and my best was an 8:35 - again in the Ferrari - I did an 8:35 - 7 seconds slower than my best, which disappointed me, but when I realised it was the second best Ferrari time I had done there, it didn't seem so bad. The setup I'm using is called "JPQ", but I now forgoet the name of the guy - he has done Ferrari setups for all 11 tracks. I'm not convinced though that the setup had that much to do with it. Before I did my 8:28 I watched a couple of replays, paying careful attention to gearchanges, even more so than lines. I think that had more to do with my pb than the setup.

After using Huttu's first generation setups for a week or so (I can't get on at all with the second generation ones), I've gone back to Roland Ehnstroem's setups. For obvious reasons I'm racing as much as I can at Monza at the moment, and I'm a second down with Huttu's setups, only half a second with RE's. The annoying thing is that I can't seem to get cllose to the 1:28.48 I did 3-4 weeks ago.

I'm looking forward to this Sunday's practice session though!
Old 2 Jan 2003, 08:27 (Ref:461871)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan
(give us that setup )

If you really want the setup, having just checked, its by Jim Pearson and can be found on a thread entitled

'Consistent To A Base' FERRARI Setups

on RSC on the setups forum.
Old 2 Jan 2003, 22:11 (Ref:462321)   #23
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
i will search that up - but sodding around "Nurby" today in the Lotus i put in a very mediocre lap by my current standards - no spins, but a few hairy moments like Flugplatz and pretty much everywhere else on the damn track...

looked at the pit-board - it was 8m25!!! i thought it was pretty stupid that all this time ive been necking it around the track spinning everywhere and getting 8m35's - and the first time i get around the track without really trying i claim 3 seconds off of my fastest lap. i could not beleive it - i was more frustrated and angry than i was happy...i want to be UNDER 8m20 at least by the first race at Monza...

Old 3 Jan 2003, 11:02 (Ref:462619)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by Number Juan
....i want to be UNDER 8m20 at least by the first race at Monza...

Do you think it'll make you go faster at Monza?

I can't seem to get decent laps at Monza at the moment - can't get under 1m29.
Old 3 Jan 2003, 18:21 (Ref:462919)   #25
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
strangely, i found that once you're good at the ring' you're goos pretty much everywhere else - because its so long and difficult to go fast: when you do go fast it gives you the confidence to flatten everywhere else...

nearly beat you at the ring' Ayse...8m28.8 in the Ferrari - still, you're 3 seconds behind my best